Author Topic: Has anyone been through Redcliff Ascent?  (Read 73391 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Has anyone been through Redcliff Ascent?
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:49:00 AM »
From the ABC Family Brat Camp Forum on RedCliff Ascent:

Chisuzanne

Posted: Mar 24, 2005 08:30 AM reply

1 Posts

Please respond if you or anyone that you are close to has been through Redcliff Ascent and whether it ended up being the "life changing" experience in a positive or negative way. I have a family member who is going into it tomorrow and am concerned. Thank you.

KYSunny

Re: Re: Has anyone been through Redcliff Ascent?

Posted: Mar 24, 2005 08:43 AM reply

1 Posts

I have worked with several kids who have been through this program. This program has helped them in more ways than I could ever tell you. The program works, it's success is dependant on the follow thru of the parents.

Jmaxwheel

Re: Re: Has anyone been through Redcliff Ascent?

Posted: Mar 30, 2005 11:36 AM reply

3 Posts

A few of my friends have. I have been through Second Nature and ASR Base Camp (shut down now I believe) and from what I've heard RedCliff might be somewhere in between those two. This is an extremely emotionally charged topic for me. I am currently researching and investigating these kind of places as well as RTCs and "therapeutic" boarding schools for an on-road expose tour this summer, invovling demonstrations in the towns hosting the programs. If you've ever read 1984 you have a toned down version of it already.Where I was, Through humiliation(One girl had to crawl every where she went and cry out loud-a councelor continued to throw a water bottle into the woods and make her crawl and cry to retrieve it while saying things like "If your gonna cry and compain like f***in baby I'm gonna treat you like a baby. this is how you f*** up everyones lives around you Im here to unf*** your life do you f***in understand me?" another kid had to sit in a circle of peers and have human feces be wiped on his face) , forced labor ("You don't have to do this but if you don't your going to RTC lockdown) disorientation, and poor physical conditions(inadequate shelter, frostbite, malnutrition, jardia[did I spell that right?] Reality is completely controled by staff. If they tell you 2and2 is 4 you better not just say it is but you need to believe it, they'll know. When inspectors came they whould tell us we would never get out basically if we told them anything and everything would be changed. At the top of this pyramid of evil the directors sit on they're plush thrones rolling in hundreds of thousands (programs often can cost up to ten thousand a MONTH. I cam out of those and the 14month program competely delusional, affraid of everying and very heart. It took a lot of wonderful people and majical experiences to come out of that, experiences of freedom and love, not hate and oppresion. Now my life is PERFECT and incredulous as that may sound. I work in carpentry and microbiology and live on an intentional community in GA. Above all what helped me is my deep love for nature backpacking and all and the strength I draw from that, and many mystical experience. I found God Or the Universal cosmic mind and he she is with us. Plus my beautiful and wonderful girlfriend who I was seperated from through the experience and now live with. This all happened about 5 years ago. The "therapeutic program" community has hid behind deciet and legal loopholes for many years but they can't hide from God and we will bring them down with love! We the human race are one divine family and we need to come togather to overwhelm this evil. with love sincere -Max
PS post any questions about my history or intent or whatever if you wish.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Couture

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
I have been through redcliff ascent.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 03:23:00 AM »
On 2005-07-08 12:23:00, Couture wrote:

"I have been through redcliff ascent."

What was it like?  Did they refer you to Whitmore?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
Most wilderness therapy programs are feeder programs for therapeutic boarding schools and behavior modification facilities.  

Don't be fooled.  There is big money in the "call of the wild".

Just ask the referral agents and admissions reps who are laughing their asses all the way to the bank.

::bigsmilebounce::

Offline Couture

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »
No, they did not refer me to whitmore.  I had an ed consultant do that.  It was actualy not a bad place.  I mean, I don't think I would choose to go out there on my own, however, it kept me out of trouble for the time being, and it really made me appreciate all the little things that I take for granted every day.  I don't know if it really helped me in the long run, but I would recommend it to someone who's child has lots of difficulty with athority.  I think this program would help that out a lot.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »
On 2005-07-11 14:09:00, Couture wrote:

"No, they did not refer me to whitmore.  I had an ed consultant do that.  It was actualy not a bad place.  I mean, I don't think I would choose to go out there on my own, however, it kept me out of trouble for the time being, and it really made me appreciate all the little things that I take for granted every day.  I don't know if it really helped me in the long run, but I would recommend it to someone who's child has lots of difficulty with athority.  I think this program would help that out a lot."

Huh? You actually believe programs are good for kids who have issues with "authority"?

Perhaps you failed to notice that when you were in this program, you were expected to obey rules or face the consequences.

You don't think your own parents could teach you something this fundamental without spending thousands of dollars?

Wake up kid.  That's a sales pitch not an explanation for how and why you ended up in a program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »
Well I went through ascent and I think this show is a fucking tragedy. These places don't work, maybe for a month or so afterwards the kids are doing good, but then they realize, they don't have such deep love for their parents. Its the fact that they are in the middle of bootcamp that makes them miss them. Once they come home and realize what assholes there parents are, they realize that they just wanted what they couldn't have. This show uses kids for the entertainment of America, beautiful.... retarded...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 04:23:00 AM »

"No, they did not refer me to whitmore.  I had an ed consultant do that.  It was actualy not a bad place.  I mean, I don't think I would choose to go out there on my own, however, it kept me out of trouble for the time being, and it really made me appreciate all the little things that I take for granted every day.  I don't know if it really helped me in the long run, but I would recommend it to someone who's child has lots of difficulty with athority.  I think this program would help that out a lot."

I don't wish to seem sarcastic but I am a little puzzled.  You say the program helped you but then you went to Auldern Academy and Whitmore.  You really seem to have done the rounds.  If these programs are so helpful why did you keep going back?

Offline Couture

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »
On 2005-07-12 01:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

I don't wish to seem sarcastic but I am a little puzzled.  You say the program helped you but then you went to Auldern Academy and Whitmore.  You really seem to have done the rounds.  If these programs are so helpful why did you keep going back?"

Well..... I am not saying I agree with sending kids to programs.  My parents did what they thought was best at the time.  I screwed up plenty of times with them.  I did go to those three places, because I was allowed to go home, and I DID fall right back into the same routine, which is quite easy to do.  I did not have a problem with authority, so it was easy for me to do very well at every place that i attended.  People who do have a problem with authority, however, will learn probably more than somone who does not.  That is all I was trying to say.  And don't call me 'kid'.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »
Yes. I have been to Redcliff Ascent. My names Brett.  I graduated in Janauary of 2005.  Was there for 75 days, and let me tell you, Brat Camp on television doesnt show you everything that goes on there.  When I was going through, they were actually filming a group from Europe, that later became "Brat Camp".  I have not seen the film yet myself, but I was in the end of the film, during graduation.  If you have questions about Redcliff ascent, or if you graduated from Redcliff, I would enjoy talking to you. [email protected]   I will tell you; dont judge your opinions of Redcliff, based on television.  After a strenous 75 days of living in the wilderness/mountains, I feel like I can accomplish about anything today.  This program helped with many things.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

I had an ed consultant do that.

I wonder if Sue got paid for each referal? So, given a gullible enough parent, someone like her could reasonably expect a couple of thousand dollars/yr/head. What a racket!

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs.  
-- E. Grebenik

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 06:47:00 AM »
On 2005-07-18 19:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Yes. I have been to Redcliff Ascent. My names Brett.  I graduated in Janauary of 2005.  Was there for 75 days, and let me tell you, Brat Camp on television doesnt show you everything that goes on there.  When I was going through, they were actually filming a group from Europe, that later became "Brat Camp".  I have not seen the film yet myself, but I was in the end of the film, during graduation.  If you have questions about Redcliff ascent, or if you graduated from Redcliff, I would enjoy talking to you. [email protected]   I will tell you; dont judge your opinions of Redcliff, based on television.  After a strenous 75 days of living in the wilderness/mountains, I feel like I can accomplish about anything today.  This program helped with many things.  "

Can I just check those dates?  You were at RedCliff Ascent for 75 days and left in January 2005?  So you went there at the end of 2004. The first Brat Camp at RedCliff Ascent was filmed in late 2003.  Have you got your dates wrong or are they filming ANOTHER Brat Camp there?

Offline envydraggin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 06:29:00 PM »
I am actually brand new to this forum.  I registered specifically for this topic.
I would like to start with the fact that I went to Redcliff Ascent Outdoor Therapy program over 5 years ago.  I was fifteen years old.  
I woke up one morning, actually to be exact January 10, 2000, to the sound of my dad, and a police officer saying that I was going to Utah for a program that was to be only 6 to 8 weeks long.  
Well, I did the typical young kid in a new environment thing and was very angry at my parents.  It took me all of five minutes to realize the severity of the situation that I was in though to turn that anger into sadness.  It took me a bit of time to adapt to my new surroundings, but it did happen eventually.  The were problem children, I was not one of them, but there were a few that never really adapted too well.  While they did things such as refusing to hike, and cooperate with the team, which later led to us having to push our stuff in a heavy pull wagon,  they most certainly were never were degraded in the manner in which JMAXWHEEL said.  Besides that, Im pretty sure that he never could have remembered what he says he does as well as he does, especially if these events were supposedly common place out there.  Its is painfully obvious that someone couldnt just accept the situation that they were in, and decided to blame all of their problems on others, because denying responsibility for your own actions, and blaming it on others is so much easier.
I graduated Redcliff within about 69 days, and had little issues.  Though I was not there by choice it is an experience that I tell others about today, and they are in disbelief that a young teen could go through so much.

After graduation, I went to The Oakley School.  In my opinion, this place was sucha greater attempt to brainwash you than Redcliff.  It was in a beautiful loactaion, and was extremely good schooling, but I was extremely unhappy there.  

Now, I am 22 years old, and in the US Army, as an infantryman.  I will be leaving the service in less than a year, and going to law school.  So, you tell me if you think that the results of these programs are based upon the individual or the institution.  Personally, some people are just really messed up,and there is no real hope for them.

:wstupid:
he Only Thing Constant In Life Is Change.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »

How does Whitmore compare to other programs of it's kind (educational boarding school with a component for teaching respect for authority) and what was the name of the educational consultant who referred you?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
Whitmore: The owner Cheryl Sudweeks has been charged with child abuse against four children, and the criminal trial is underway. The criminal investigation is still active.
Several parents have filed a civil suit against the owners.
Most of the kids were referred by Sue Scheff at PURE, who still supports these abusive owners, and Scheff continued to refer children to this facility, even while the criminal investigation was ongoing.