Author Topic: NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!
« on: June 21, 2005, 07:08:00 AM »
From the ABC Family Brat Camp Forum on RedCliff Ascent:

frogger_chickadee200617

PLEASE READ

Posted: Jan 14, 2005 11:03 AM reply

2 Posts

Hi my names Megan and i was a gurl that was in Redcliff ascent i have had experiences there that i DO wanna forget but cant because they are engraved in my mind and they wont leave worth a dime!! i went into redcliff weighing 200 and left weighing in at 106 POUNDS i had a terrible experience there and with the reality series people i dont want others knowing my issues so y do they do this? so people can sit at home and laugh their a** off at these teens? i dont think that peoples ISSUES SHOULD BE BROADCASTED TO THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE! when i cam home i was bullimic, malnurished, retaining 20 pounds of water PER ankle, losing my hair i was practically bald, and i was sick ALL the time and its no fun people im tellin ya its EXTREMLY hard to write about this junk but its only because i havnt delt with this place AT ALL ( mom if your reading dont BUG me about the RCA!!) (thanx but i still love ya!) okz anyways i am about in tears well i AM in tears just writing this to you people because i was EXTREMLY ILL when i was at RCA and i was there for OVER 6 MONTHS! its not fun there i about died from being in the shape that i was in and if anyone wants to email me to see what i looked like be my guest!!
[email protected]
I want to thank you guyz for reading this and ur welcome to email me i even have pics of the staff!

wantachange

NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!

Posted: Jan 14, 2005 11:36 AM reply

8 Posts

i'm sure ABC family is going to portray the staff at redcliff ascent as good and caring and the kids as manipulative brats, hence the name brat camp.
i've read the message board for brat camp and some people are shocked that RCA would sell out this way. i am not at all surprised. our daughter attended RCA in 2001. the therapist at RCA led us and our insurance co. to believe she was making progress all along when infact she made no progress. they kept her there for 5 months leading us to believe she was getting better.
our daughter was 13 and suffering from severe depression. she took an overdose one night, was taken to the hospital, had her stomach pumped and transfered to another hospital that night. a psychologist from ohio state university came and evaluated her and said RCA was exactly what she needed. we were pressured and rushed to make a decission about issues we had never dealt with before.
having your child so distraught she tried to kill herself and being told by aall these so called professionals was so overwhelming.
we live in ohio and left early one morning from the hospital and drove our only daughter nearly 2000 miles away and left her with complete strangers because it's what the doctors said was best for her.
i had weekly phone sessions with her therapist who assured me she was making slow but steady progress. i kept notes of each phone session through out her stay. we were not allowed to talk to our daughter, we could only write letters. the therapist told me she had lost some weight but said that it was common with the kids due to all the hiking.
about three weeks before we went to pick her up, RCA sent some pictures of our daughter to our e-mail. the first two were disturbing but she looked ok. in the thisd picture she looked bad. emaciated,scraped up and unhealthy. we left the next morning to pick her up.
nothing could have prepared us forr how she looked when we arrived in the wilderness of utah. we couldn't wait to get her out of there.
our daughter had gained weight due to her depression and weighed in at 178 when we left her at RCA. when we picked her up 5 months later she weighed 106. her face reminded me of the pictures you see of children who had been in concentration camps. she had lived on lentles, rice and rolled oats for the past 5 months. they got peanutbutter or cheese once a week. at times they had to drink water from troughs for cattle in the fields or from ponds.
since she had no salt in her diet, she retained huge amounts of water after she began eating regular food again. she threw up all the way home. she was starving but her system couldn't handle food. we took her to the doctor when we returned to ohio. she was anemic, malnourised, iron deficient, albumen levels were low, blood sugar levels were high, liver enzymes elevated. her hair was falling out due to malnutrition. she said the staff at RCA had started calling her baldy.
our insurance co. did an investigation of RCA after hearing of our daughters condition. we were not informed of the outcome.
childrens services in our home town gathered information for their own. that was sent to columbus, our capital. columbus sent all the information to provo, utah who sent it to the local sheriffs office in beryl, utah who,as far as we know, have done nothing.
that was 4 years ago and this place is still operating at an average cost of 10,000 dollars a month.
if we had gotten our daughter in this physical condition while in our care, she would have been taken away from us. many kids have been seriously injured or have died in these wilderness programs and not only are they still in business, now they are also entertainment.
one concerned and upset mom in ohio.

frogger_chickadee200617

Re: Re: NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!

Posted: Jan 14, 2005 11:43 AM reply

2 Posts

THAT'S MY MOM FOR YOU GUYZ! Always standing up for what SHE BELEIVES IN and never letting a BAD EXPERIENCE of our families or mone get in the way of living a happy life to the fullest everyday! what she said everything that she said in there was true i broke my ankle ETC. ETC. ETC. but they didnt CARE!I hope that people will read "NOT SUPRISED" and realize how SERIOUS this all is and MOM I LOVE YOU AND I AWLWAYS WILL! im also sorry for blaming you and daddy for sending me there when really you guys were under bunches of pressure and was forced to make a QUICK decision on where I should go to next!
LOVE YA MOMMY!
~BUNCHES OF LOVE, HUGZ, AND KISSIES FOR YOU!~
Meg Karg
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 03:45:15 PM »
that is untrue.
i was at redcliff and the food is the healthiest you can get. Thank God you don't get peanut butter or cheese everyday. can' imagine how unhealthy you would be then.
Before writing things like this, you people should think. RedCliff Ascent is a great program, and I never met an abused or underfed kid. As for salt, there is, they provide you with full ziploc bags of bouillon, which is salt.
so, hope you do understand that healthy is not peanut butter and cheese.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 04:05:07 PM »
Quote from: ""rhea""
that is untrue.
i was at redcliff and the food is the healthiest you can get. Thank God you don't get peanut butter or cheese everyday. can' imagine how unhealthy you would be then.
Before writing things like this, you people should think. RedCliff Ascent is a great program, and I never met an abused or underfed kid. As for salt, there is, they provide you with full ziploc bags of bouillon, which is salt.
so, hope you do understand that healthy is not peanut butter and cheese.

I do understand that peanut butter and cheese is not a healthy diet.  I also understand that neither is lentles, rice and rolled oats.....or drinking water from a cattle trough.

Before writing things like this, you should think.  RedCliff Ascent is just another abusive facility masquerading as a place of assistance, caring and refuge.  It's the polar opposite.  Starving, sleep depriving and abusively exercising kids in the name of therapy or help is unconscionable and those responsible should be imprisoned.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 04:34:05 PM »
What's wrong with the diet? It violates regulations and USDA recommendations.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p= ... ils#116494
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p= ... ils#118710
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 07:43:36 AM »
I hope you will pardon my ignorance when i ask this but isnt redcliff a wilderness programme? I thought they were meant to be for between around 1 and 3 months.
If some kids are there for 5 or 6 months what is the maximum time they can legally be there?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 04:09:27 AM »
so sick

so who do we call to do something about this???????

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 02:46:52 PM »
Right now, nobody.

Most people dont care, most people dont know, our government doesnt care...

say hello to soulless consumer culture! If you want to do something, youre going to have to start lobbying, or getting celebrities to care.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NOT SUPRISED!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 01:23:25 PM »
The mothers post got it right. Not only do people think its  agreat idea to march kids through the wilderness with recent college grads name ivy leave for a few months in the name of therapy, but now that suffering is used as entertainment. If this is what goes for normal these days count me out.