Author Topic: I'm a bit unhappy with what I see.  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I'm a bit unhappy with what I see.
« on: June 21, 2005, 07:05:00 AM »
From the ABC Family Brat Camp Forum on RedCliff Ascent:

Fallentears1986

I'm a bit unhappy with what I see.

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 07:44 PM reply

3 Posts

As currently I am watching "Brat Camp." It is a very interesting show but one thing does bother me about it. Most of the females are goths and one is heavily into the band of marilyn manson. She also has piercings and goes with the "goth" look. I am 18 years of age and currently attend college. I am not out of control or in trouble however i do consider myself goth. i have piercings and love the band marilyn manson. The camera's focused on the goth girls Manson posters and hoodies. I find it horrible that this show feels the need to blame music and personal expression for the teens bratty actions. Music and piercings do not make people into troubled individuals, it is their personal actions, and everyone is responsible for their own actions. I know many people who like Manson and that are goth and have piercings (including myself) and I am not a troubled or bad person. I think that people need to realize it is the childs personal choice to act as such and has nothing to do with clothes, music, etc. It seems that society is trying to downplay our personal expressions of freedom and creativity, I find this sad and discouraging. In closing anyone who watches the show needs to realize that all goth people are not like this and need to see each individual as they are and not how society would have everyone view us. Thank you

ihatelabels

Re: Re: I'm a bit unhappy with what I see.

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 07:56 PM reply

1 Posts

i think its interesting. and i agree with you. though i like marilyn manson, i don't use labels or religions. but i do agree 100 percent with you.

ANDsoWEfail

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 08:11 PM reply

3 Posts

I don't like Marilyn mansion but I totally agree with you. Would they really take away all my CD's like Bright Eyes? Or focus in on my Nathaniel Hawthorne poster in my room and blame him?

AngelofFire077

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 08:18 PM reply

2 Posts

You're right in the fact that it doesn't affect them at all because like you, I like Manson and goth style and I am not a troublemaker. But the reason they're taking the music away is because to them it's a pleasure and while their in brat camp, they're not really supposed to have any form of pleasure because it is punishment for their behavior. They are not blaming the music and piercings as a reason for their behavior but they are taking it away from them because if they had it, it would make them happy. ~D~

QuietStormRCA

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 12:53 PM reply

5 Posts

D

the piercings are not taken because it makes her happy. she is hiding behind them and for her to know her true self they must come out.

quiet storm

Fallentears1986

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 08:56 PM reply

3 Posts

Thank you all for your insightful replies. It is very encouraging to see people who have not lost site of individuality. The reason why I directed the Marilyn Manson topic was becuase when they were interviewing Rachel the camera kept focusing on her Manson hoodie, and even a poster of him in her room. The camera's made sure to get a close up of these Manson articles. Many things are wrong with society and people that question it should not be associated with some silly misguided teenagers. Also the rules in the show stated that the teens could not listen to music with lyrics the staff did not agree with. The first couple of days it did seem like they could listen to music, just not the kind that the staff did not agree with. Also, if someone maybe take my piercings out, I would be a bit upset as well (especially if it was a toungue bar becuase the toungue closes up incredible fast (as quick as one day it can be totally healed no matter how long one has had it)) piercings are something that have to be taken care of and they can close up and I would be angry if they did as a result of me taking them out becuase someone did not agree with my pseronal style. Rebellion in teenagers is somewhat normal, although I am certainly not justifiying the teens actions. Many teens do participate in some form of drinking or smoking but let us remember, the Government puts cigs out their for the kids to smoke and even appeal to teens. I myself do smoke but did not start until I was 18, smoking is the least of the parents worries as many parents are hypocrites themselves and do smoke yet expect their children not to follow suite. All in all I restate that people that express themselves and are not afraid to question authority should not be associated with troubled teens that can not figure out who they are. An art of self-expression, not matter how radical it may seem, is rarely a bad thing.

brownbadgerssister

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 04:06 PM reply

9 Posts

If you noticed, they showed ALL the kids' rooms. Not specifically the Manson poster in Rachel's room. The kids went to the show because they were OUT OF CONTROL and on the verge of completely destroying their lives. No one cares if they have piercings or crazy hair, its fine to express yourself, DONT make poor decisions about life.

peterpanny101

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 12:16 PM reply

4 Posts

I totally agree with you!

Message was edited by: peterpanny101

tracybw67

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 12:55 PM reply

2 Posts

The issue of the removal of piercings and permission for personal expression is beside the point. The teens on Brat Camp were not put into the program because they have ***** through various parts of their bodies or due to Marilyn Manson's music. They are there because they are either drug addicts or will soon become addicts. The fact that their lives are spiraling out of control isn't due to anything but their own choices.

raechpunk

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 02:42 PM reply

4 Posts

IN MY MIND THE SHOW IS TRYING TO BLAME SOMEONE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE TEENS. SINCE THEY CANT FOCUS ON THE PARENTS ON BEING THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEMS THEY TURN TO OTHER INFLUENCES EX- MUSIC THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO EMINEM AND A COUPLE OF BANDS IN THE 80S. THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE TO BLAME. I AM 14 AND WHEN I TURN 16 MY MOM SAYS I CAN GET ANYTHING I WANT PIERCED SHE HAS ALREADY LET ME GET BLUE HIGHLIGHTS IN MY HAIR. SHE SAYS THAT SHE WOULD RATHER LET ME EXPRESS MYSELF THRU HAIR COLORS AND EARRINGS AND TOUNGE RINGS THAN THRU DRUGS AND ALCHOHAL. AND I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH HER ON THAT 100%

LOVE RAECHEL

ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS, DONT BLAME OTHERS

carolynbadams

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 03:45 PM reply

11 Posts

Not everyone who goes to RedCliff has done drugs or is even going down that path. There are a myriad of reasons that teens are sent to RCA...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »