Author Topic: Redcliffer  (Read 52451 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Redcliffer
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »
I went through a similiar period as with your son, and i was mighty proud of what i did accomplish. For what i was sent there for, it did help me considerably, i no longer felt like the world owed me something and was nolonger just a whiney little kid that mouthed off to every single person that ever tried to help me. I realized that i was no better than anyone else--no smarter no stronger no more moral-- and when i graduated i was filled with "little wisdoms". I will always respect RCA, and like your son i was struck with some nostalgia when i left --its alot simpler and the emotions are genuine and not watered down with bullshit.

When i first got out i stayed clean, respected my mother, and got As in school. But the thing is i had alot of difficulty with explaining what i had gone through with my peers (i had failed the 8th grade the previous year so i was still in middle school--this compounded with my new found maturity doubly increased any difficult i had adjusting). I was the 'bad' kid even if i tried to reform myself. I eventually gave in to these temptations and found myself chillin with punk/skinhead crews which i guess got me into this mentality that got me into trouble. But atleast im not like i was.

My mom when i got out was paranoid, like extremely paranoid--for example if there was dry wall dust on my desk shed think i was doing coke (when all i did up to that point was smoke pot and drink), and if i got a soda can shed think i was making a pipe out of it just shit like that all the time. I wasnt alowed out after school, and she wouldnt let me listen to my music claiming that it would 'brainwash' me. This all pissed me off, as in NA that i had to go to the biggest junkies in the world had more freedom than i did. I guess my advice would to trust your son enough so that he atleast feels human, and not just imprisoned in his own damn house. With little freedoms like being able to go out with friends, he wont feel too obliged to break rules in order to have any fun. Plus my mom drinks, so yea less you do i dont think you have much to worry about.

I was engaged in my treatment, but it only lasted while i was in treatment. After a while you lose the emotional etatchment for RCA and it just becomes another memory, just another scar. I do think id like to revist sometime though.

best of luck with your kid

-cheers n beers-
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Redcliffer
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »
On 2006-02-16 16:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm interested in if you ever became really engaged in the program -- if you did what caused you to relapse?  Also if you don't mind -- what could your parents have done that would have helped you when you were in height of your issues...

Yeah, I was engaged in the program alright :roll: .....I was so brainwashed for awhile but I had no choice. It was either be brainwashed or face severe punishment... And... frequently, Post Traumatic Stess Disorder from being subjected to a program can cause relapse. That happened to me after the brainwashing started to wear off. You think I'm kidding dont you??? and....Real counseling/therapy would have been extremely beneficial for me....I didnt need to be thrown in a private prison.
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Mykidsmom

• View Profile
Redcliffer
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
On 2006-02-16 20:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I went through a similiar period as with your son, and i was mighty proud of what i did accomplish. For what i was sent there for, it did help me considerably, i no longer felt like the world owed me something and was nolonger just a whiney little kid that mouthed off to every single person that ever tried to help me. I realized that i was no better than anyone else--no smarter no stronger no more moral-- and when i graduated i was filled with "little wisdoms". I will always respect RCA, and like your son i was struck with some nostalgia when i left --its alot simpler and the emotions are genuine and not watered down with bullshit.

When i first got out i stayed clean, respected my mother, and got As in school. But the thing is i had alot of difficulty with explaining what i had gone through with my peers (i had failed the 8th grade the previous year so i was still in middle school--this compounded with my new found maturity doubly increased any difficult i had adjusting). I was the 'bad' kid even if i tried to reform myself. I eventually gave in to these temptations and found myself chillin with punk/skinhead crews which i guess got me into this mentality that got me into trouble. But atleast im not like i was.

My mom when i got out was paranoid, like extremely paranoid--for example if there was dry wall dust on my desk shed think i was doing coke (when all i did up to that point was smoke pot and drink), and if i got a soda can shed think i was making a pipe out of it just shit like that all the time. I wasnt alowed out after school, and she wouldnt let me listen to my music claiming that it would 'brainwash' me. This all pissed me off, as in NA that i had to go to the biggest junkies in the world had more freedom than i did. I guess my advice would to trust your son enough so that he atleast feels human, and not just imprisoned in his own damn house. With little freedoms like being able to go out with friends, he wont feel too obliged to break rules in order to have any fun. Plus my mom drinks, so yea less you do i dont think you have much to worry about.

I was engaged in my treatment, but it only lasted while i was in treatment. After a while you lose the emotional etatchment for RCA and it just becomes another memory, just another scar. I do think id like to revist sometime though.

best of luck with your kid

-cheers n beers-"

Thanks for the advice... Sorry I was so slow to reply I don't really look at this board too much anymore as I explained before but it was great to see someone own their stuff and give good advice to a Mom who will soon be in the same position with her Son.

I just came home from spending the weekend with him at his boarding school.  He really likes it there too.  Very nice place... the kids seem to enjoy themselves, the food is great and my Son tells us over and over again how glad he is that we sent him someplace that is not a lock down and is teaching him how to express his emotions and help others

I wish I could have done that for him but I couldn't -- I am learning too and your advice is well taken..

Thanks

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Redcliffer
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »
White Falcon-(David)

E-mail me man, [email protected]   I think you were in my group

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I went to RedCliff!
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2007, 09:37:32 AM »
Hi- My names Maggie and i went to RedCliff Ascent about 4 and a half years ago... and i wanted to say first of all no kid will be at RedCliff ascent less than like 60 days- yes it can be graduated in like 30 days but NOBODY does that- infact when i was there i was in a group with a girl who ended up being there 217 days!!!!

Also, i'd like to say that before i went to RedCliff i had only smoked weed for about the 3 months before i was sent away- and i made straight A's... nobody thought i should have been at this program- i was the 'goody goody'... which was true- but after RedCliff i went to boarding school in Utah for about 6 months after my RedCliff experience- and my comment to all this is after i came back from my programs i skipped school all the time and ended up dropping out... and because i learned so much about drugs in the programs from the other kids i came back and i just quit smoking crack and doing cocaine about 2 months ago... i could almost say i dont think i would have EVER done those drugs if i hadnt been taught about them from kids at RedCliff and my boarding school Academy at Cedar Mountain... by the way my drug habbits and skipping school started less than a couple months after i was back and i'm just now becoming sober

oh and when i was at RedCliff- from what i recall if u tried to run from the program of course u were going to get your pants and shoes taken away... i saw a report where the RedCliff staff acted like that was a bad decision made on the councelers at the time... i dont think so- that's what they were supposed to do

i hated every second of the program and afterward not only did i feel like i didnt learn anything at all but i felt betrayed by my parents more than anything and to this day i dont think i will forgive them to sending my this program especially because i WAS a goody goody straight A student before i went who liked to smoke weed on the weekends- and i turned out as a high school dropout who smokes crack...

so if u think sending ur kid to this program will solve all ur problems- think again! if u have any questions about my experience in the program or anything email me at

http://[email protected]