Author Topic: casa by the sea mixed opinions  (Read 1540 times)

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
casa by the sea mixed opinions
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
My daughter has a new friend who went to Casa By the Sea. I started questioning her and she had nothing but praise for the program. She said that is saved many people's lives. I told her that is was closed for child abuse and she indicated that she had never seen anything like that while she was there. She did say they spend a lot of time sitting in chairs. It seems like she has repressed a lot of it.  I think they must brainwash everyone into thinking that it saved their lives because she kept talking about that - how it saved so many lives. She was not a problem teen - her parents actually thought that Casa was a boarding school.  

If you want a voluntary urine sample from me it'll have to be a taste test.
--Bumper Sticker

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »
If they really thoughbt it was a boarding school, why did they get suckered into no contact, seminars, lack of communication, and all the other culty bullshit?

Honetsly, owl, her parents really must have been fucking morons, I'm sad to say.

you Momma is a big fat's ________
--Leroy Brown

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 01:49:00 AM »
From what I understand they found out about it after the fact and got her out.  It just makes me wonder how many parents are fooled into believing that these WWASP programs are actual boarding schools. Perhaps they were looking at price and something close to home.  My daughter talked to the parents about it and her mom started to cry - I guess they feel bad that they sent her there.  But this girl is really sweet and wholesome and it's hard to believe that a place like Casa would take her - apparently they will take any child whose parents can pay for the program.  I did a search for boarding schools teens and the WWASP sites were numerous.  When you go to the site and click on "boarding school" all of the programs including Tranquility Bay appear.  I can see where some naive parents could do something like that.  Anyway, this girl is very protective of the program and staff.  

You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it stink (any more than it already does)
-- Job

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 03:17:00 AM »
On 2005-06-17 22:49:00, nite owl wrote:

"From what I understand they found out about it after the fact and got her out.  It just makes me wonder how many parents are fooled into believing that these WWASP programs are actual boarding schools. Perhaps they were looking at price and something close to home.  My daughter talked to the parents about it and her mom started to cry - I guess they feel bad that they sent her there.  But this girl is really sweet and wholesome and it's hard to believe that a place like Casa would take her - apparently they will take any child whose parents can pay for the program.  I did a search for boarding schools teens and the WWASP sites were numerous.  When you go to the site and click on "boarding school" all of the programs including Tranquility Bay appear.  I can see where some naive parents could do something like that.  Anyway, this girl is very protective of the program and staff.  

You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it stink (any more than it already does)
-- Job

"

Looks like she was brainwashed into the "I'd be deadorinjail without the program" mindset. As for the boarding school issue... there are many people who send their learning disabled kids to WWASP, because they've been told WWASP offers a specialized boarding school for the treatment of LD's.  :roll: You're right-- WWASP will take anyone, as long as the parents can pay.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 09:43:00 AM »
This is an important topic about WWASP being called "boarding schools".  I am one of those parents.  I was looking for a boarding school to offer my teen a way to get out of his laziness, be in a more progressive educational situation, experience another country and it's culture. It's not a sin to think you are offering your child an opportunity.  He was a teen that was not in trouble.

It is different now, with the anti WWASPS sites.  A few years ago when searching for boarding schools WWASP sprang up everywhere.  No negative sites.  After calling them, doing what we thought was our homework on this "school" we were convinced that this was the perfect opportunity for our child, not a punishment.  A new school, didn't mention "program", in Costa Rica.  I personally love this country and travel there.  He was to learn the culture, learn Spanish as a second language (not first), be involved in a great music program, be aggressive in his education, go surfing, golf, etc.

What many of you may not know is the fact that they handle parents like myself differently.  I spoke with my son almost weekly.  He "worked" in his family reps office and I called and was able to talk with him.  Sure he used to say things like "this place isn't what you think it is", but at the time we thought that he was just wanting to come home.  Natural for a 16 year old.  To much work in a boarding school, alot easier at home. The staff were trained how to handle us.  "Your child is doing great, just homesick, natural, will say things to get home".

This is a topic that many people don't mention.  When reading articles about these programs they always mention that they are facilities for troubled teens, making it sound like every child behind those walls have major problems.  Believe me, there were and are many teens in these places that are not "troubled" teens and their parents "enrolled" them, didn't commit them. Or they are there because their parent's standards are so high that they think that smoking a cigarette or having sex at 17 warrants commitment.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »
On 2005-06-17 17:43:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"If they really thoughbt it was a boarding school, why did they get suckered into no contact, seminars, lack of communication, and all the other culty bullshit?

Honetsly, owl, her parents really must have been fucking morons, I'm sad to say.

--Leroy Brown

"

That's a very good point ... what parent cough-cough "enrolls" their child in a cough-cough "boarding school" surrounded by a barbed wire fence in a place so remote, that even if the kid could escape, they would have to survive in the woods or rend for themselves on drug-infested island thousands of miles from the USA?

The parents are bullsh***** the troops ... they know these places are privately funded locked down facilities.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
On 2005-06-18 07:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-06-17 17:43:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"If they really thoughbt it was a boarding school, why did they get suckered into no contact, seminars, lack of communication, and all the other culty bullshit?

--Leroy Brown

"

That's a very good point ... what parent cough-cough "enrolls" their child in a cough-cough "boarding school" surrounded by a barbed wire fence in a place so remote, that even if the kid could escape, they would have to survive in the woods or fend for themselves on a drug-infested island thousands of miles from the USA?

The parents are bullsh***** the troops ... they know these places are privately funded locked down facilities."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »
When you "enroll" your child in a boarding school you are not thinking "how will they escape".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »
On 2005-06-18 07:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"When you "enroll" your child in a boarding school you are not thinking "how will they escape".  "

Right because if you are a parent shipping your kid off to some rudimentary behavior mod camp in a 3rd world country that you call a "boarding school" --- obviously you aren't thinking, period.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »
You folks are so judgemental. Provide a better suggestion.

Lets hope God doesnt judge you as harshly when you find yourself in need of support.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 11:08:00 AM »
It just makes me wonder how many parents are fooled into believing that these WWASP programs are actual boarding schools.

Most of them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 11:11:00 AM »
Those marketing folks are expert liars.

A year plus of theraphy has helped me understand i was suckered and lied to. Not just that I was stupid and irresponsible,gullible.

I trusted and had no reason not to at the time. We` parents really don't need to be reminded how dumb we truly were. My child's eyes remind me often.  Hence the bad guys will pay.......

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
Part of the reason I want the specific reforms I want is because ordinary, not-terribly-gullible parents get sucked in because they expect consumer protection laws that aren't there.

You were suckered and lied to.  At the same time, *part* of it is that you were gullible.  There's a reason some desperate parents get sucked in and some don't.

I don't say that to hurt you or make the focus on you.  I say it because part of getting change is for all of us to work together to understand why you and other parents like you didn't get your red flags and bullshit detectors triggered hard enough, and fix that.

As a society, what we've found effective to stop MLM schemes, shell games, Nigerian email cons, Ponzi schemes, swampland in Florida cons, buying the Brooklyn Bridge cons----what we've found effective is publicizing the cons.

Yes, it's effective to characterize the people who fall for it as dopes.  Not because you really are a dope, but because none of the potential *future* fraud victims wants to be a dope.  Characterizing people who buy the Brooklyn Bridge as dopes, and people who sell it as weasely scum, is what gets the attention and sticks in the mind of the people who might fall for the con in the future, so that they *don't*.

And then you follow that publicity campaign with the real life stories of people like you.  You're probably a very nice person, and like most nice people you have too hard a time believing other people can be "not nice" for your own good.  You're nice, and you probably really want to believe in the good intentions of others.  And if you've surrounded yourself all your life with nice people (and who doesn't want to do that?), then your experience of the people around you has probably almost always been one where you *could* count on the other guy's good intentions.

The real life stories of people like you, *after* the ad campaign of dopes buying swampland from weasels gets their attention, convinces people who *would* have been victimized someday that it *can* happen to them, and keeps them out of the clutches of the con-men running this scam.

See, that "I trusted and had no reason not to at the time" is telling.

For *me*, "This guy wants a lot of my money and is offering results I really want," is enough reason not to trust at the time.  When someone knows I'm desperate and offers to help, but wants to be paid for it, that's a reason right there to start asking very hard questions.

There is always reason not to trust people who are in business to fix your car, fix your roof, manage your money, or educate your kid---especially residentially.  There is always reason not to trust someone who is going to do surgery on you.  There is always reason not to trust someone who is selling you insurance.

It doesn't mean you don't send your kid to school, or put your car in the shop, or fix your roof, etc.

But a whole *lot* of people for certain kinds of big, high-stakes things where there's a lot of potential for abuse *always* go in reading the fine print and asking the question, "Yes, but what if this guy is a con-man?"

You weren't dumb (or stupid or irresponsible), you just had a far too trusting general worldview.

I'm only pointing this out because it sounds like you still might.  You've accepted that those specific rotten people suckered you and lied to you---but I can't tell if you've embraced a life-appropriate level of general paranoia. :smile: :smile: :smile:

The thing is, there are always going to be a lot of people *without* a life-appropriate level of general paranoia.  Which is why we have consumer protection laws, and why we need better consumer protection laws and enforcement mechanisms for this industry.

The marketing folks are *always* expert liars.

In *any* business.

It's their job.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
no, a lot of parents send their kids to get rid of them until they are `18

not fooled ... they know what they are doing

just won't admit it

would you?

admit you paid someone to abuse your kid?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »
I really appreciate all your comments. In my post, I was trying to get the point across that there are parents that were looking for a boarding school for their child (the topic) and not looking in desperation or asking anyone to "fix them".

I totally agree with your statement.... "I say it because part of getting change is for all of us to work together to understand why you and other parents like you didn't get your red flags and bullshit detectors triggered hard enough, and fix that."

I wanted people to understand that there were not as many red flags back then as there are today and the fact that WWASPS treated parents like myself differently.  A subject that hasn't' been talked about much.  If I had read a forum like this back then, I would have been on a plane right away.  

This is our goal, raise as many flags as we can and reach all that we can to spread the word of our experiences.

One note....
Your assesment of me reminds me of the Discovery seminar.  You gave me feedback of what kind of person I am and how I view things.  Some on here know who I am. I am nothing like you "percieved".  I have a corporation, fight everyday in the world of business and politics in a man's world, and spend every extra moment I have trying to change legislation.  We should all be careful on commenting on what we no nothing about.