Author Topic: Brat Camp Contestants Announced  (Read 7269 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brat Camp Contestants Announced
« on: June 17, 2005, 05:03:00 AM »

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2 ... conte.html

What would you do with a teen who curses at you, breaks the law in your house and doesn't listen to anything you say? That's the dilemma facing nine families dealing with out-of-control teenagers - whose ages range from 14-17 -- and with issues from ADHD to drugs, promiscuity and fights, in ABC's new reality series, "Brat Camp," premiering in two back-to-back episodes, WEDNESDAY, JULY 13 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

The nine families make a tough choice and send their kids to SageWalk, The Wilderness School, in the wilds of Oregon for a period of more than fifty days, in the desperate hope that, once it's over, they'll get back the children they once knew.

In the special two-hour premiere, we meet the kids as they arrive at SageWalk, learn about their issues and see their defiance in action, as they're confronted for the first time with the harsh realities of camp life. Forced to hike 10 miles with 40-lb. backpacks, the kids celebrate Thanksgiving in the wilderness without family, and with the ultimate question being whether they'll make it home for Christmas.

The participants include:

Lauren, 17, from Davis, CA, a straight "A" student who excelled in everything until her father suddenly passed away when she was 11. Unable to deal with the grief, Lauren turned to drugs and admits to smoking pot every day and doing whatever it takes to get her fix. Lauren's mother sent her to SageWalk hoping that her daughter would face up to her father's death and quit drugs.

Jada, 15, from Boston, MA, refuses to go to school. She has dropped out of two boarding schools and nine private schools in the last six years. Instead of going to school, she throws parties and experiments with sex, drugs and alcohol. Jada's an aspiring singer who thinks she doesn't need school because she's going to be a star one day. She's also a compulsive liar who is always making excuses. Her parents sent her to SageWalk so that she'll become motivated about her life, stop taking things for granted and start telling the truth.

Nick, 14, from Seattle, WA, is a dyslexic teenager who is constantly fighting with his family. Not only does he disrespect his father and yell obscenities at his mother, he once even pulled a knife on his twin brother. Unable to deal with Nick's relentless anger issues any longer, his parents made the decision to send him to SageWalk.

Shawn, 17, from Irvine, CA, has been struggling with drug abuse for several years. He admits to stealing from his own mother to buy drugs, and is constantly truant from school. Shawn's parents believe his problems stem from the fact that he was adopted, and they sent him to SageWalk hoping that he'll learn to face his abandonment issues and gain self-esteem.

Heather, 16, from Centreville, VA, used to be athletic and innocent until she started hanging out with the wrong crowd. Now she experiments with all types of drugs and is constantly running away from home for weeks at a time. Her adoptive parents sent her to SageWalk because they feel that Heather is heading down the same road as her birth mother - to a heroin-induced coma.

Lexie, 17, from St. Helena, CA, used to be a good girl who rode horses and excelled in school, but when she was 11, Lexie was molested by someone she trusted. She has since suffered from depression, become verbally abusive toward her parents, given up horseback riding and started failing in school. Lexie's parents sent her to SageWalk hoping she'll learn to deal with the secret that still haunts her.

Frank, 15, from Sacramento, CA, has anger management issues and problems with authority. He was recently suspended from school for arguing with a teacher and was sent to live with his uncle, a probation officer. Frank admits to being verbally abusive and furious at the world, and was sent to SageWalk to learn how to deal with his anger.

Derek, 14, from Litte Rock, AK, is a destructive teenager who has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. He is failing school and is verbally abusive towards his mother. Derek's parents have sent him to SageWalk to learn discipline, respect and self-control.

Isaiah, 17, from Winton, CA, is an angry punk rocker who smokes, drinks and has an obsession with fire. Isaiah is verbally abusive towards his mother and blames her for his parents' divorce. He's defiant and bitter, and is constantly getting into fist fights at school, especially with the 'jocks.' Isaiah's mother sent him to SageWalk to learn how to deal with his anger issues.

Led by Tony Randazzo, aka "Glacier Mountain Wolf" - as all field instructors take earth names at the camp - the SageWalk field instructors guide these troubled teens through this potentially life-changing experience. Glacier, who also serves as the series' narrator, hit rock bottom himself as a teenager, abusing drugs and alcohol and living on the street, and claims a wilderness camp similar to SageWalk saved his life. As the primary manager, Glacier trains and supervises the rest of the field staff and is the first face the teenagers see upon arrival.

Other field instructors at SageWalk include "Little Big Bear," who teaches wilderness survival out in the field; "Mountain Wind," who is responsible for the teenagers' safety and health while in the wilderness; "Boulder," the instructor who often ends up dealing with the most difficult cases; and "Cougar," who prides himself on making a difference in the lives of at-risk youth.

SageWalk therapists include Dr. J. Huffine, aka "Flying Eagle" who, as the clinical director, supervises the progress of each student; Cindy Fogel, aka "Mother Raven," who often relates to the teens as a substitute mother and is very empathetic and emotional; and Scott Fitzwater, aka "Fire Bear" who, in addition to working with the teens, also has direct contact with their families and ultimately decides when each student is ready to go home.

"Brat Camp" is from Shapiro/Grodner Productions, with Arnold Shapiro and Allison Grodner serving as executive producers, and John Platt as co-executive producer. "Brat Camp" is based on the award-winning U.K. series from Twenty Twenty Productions, with Peter Casely-Hayford, Jamie Isaacs, Claudia Milne and Mark Rowland serving as executive producers.

------------------------

So they are "contestants" now are they?   Not clients, patients, prisoners, or just participants.  What's the prize?  That they get out alive?

They are treating this just like Big Brother or Survivor.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 05:32:00 AM »
On 2005-06-17 02:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Brat Camp Contestants Announced

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2 ... conte.html

What would you do with a teen who curses at you, breaks the law in your house and doesn't listen to anything you say? That's the dilemma facing nine families dealing with out-of-control teenagers - whose ages range from 14-17 -- and with issues from ADHD to drugs, promiscuity and fights, in ABC's new reality series, "Brat Camp," premiering in two back-to-back episodes, WEDNESDAY, JULY 13 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

The nine families make a tough choice and send their kids to SageWalk, The Wilderness School, in the wilds of Oregon for a period of more than fifty days, in the desperate hope that, once it's over, they'll get back the children they once knew.

In the special two-hour premiere, we meet the kids as they arrive at SageWalk, learn about their issues and see their defiance in action, as they're confronted for the first time with the harsh realities of camp life. Forced to hike 10 miles with 40-lb. backpacks, the kids celebrate Thanksgiving in the wilderness without family, and with the ultimate question being whether they'll make it home for Christmas.

The participants include:

Lauren, 17, from Davis, CA, a straight "A" student who excelled in everything until her father suddenly passed away when she was 11. Unable to deal with the grief, Lauren turned to drugs and admits to smoking pot every day and doing whatever it takes to get her fix. Lauren's mother sent her to SageWalk hoping that her daughter would face up to her father's death and quit drugs.

Jada, 15, from Boston, MA, refuses to go to school. She has dropped out of two boarding schools and nine private schools in the last six years. Instead of going to school, she throws parties and experiments with sex, drugs and alcohol. Jada's an aspiring singer who thinks she doesn't need school because she's going to be a star one day. She's also a compulsive liar who is always making excuses. Her parents sent her to SageWalk so that she'll become motivated about her life, stop taking things for granted and start telling the truth.

Nick, 14, from Seattle, WA, is a dyslexic teenager who is constantly fighting with his family. Not only does he disrespect his father and yell obscenities at his mother, he once even pulled a knife on his twin brother. Unable to deal with Nick's relentless anger issues any longer, his parents made the decision to send him to SageWalk.

Shawn, 17, from Irvine, CA, has been struggling with drug abuse for several years. He admits to stealing from his own mother to buy drugs, and is constantly truant from school. Shawn's parents believe his problems stem from the fact that he was adopted, and they sent him to SageWalk hoping that he'll learn to face his abandonment issues and gain self-esteem.

Heather, 16, from Centreville, VA, used to be athletic and innocent until she started hanging out with the wrong crowd. Now she experiments with all types of drugs and is constantly running away from home for weeks at a time. Her adoptive parents sent her to SageWalk because they feel that Heather is heading down the same road as her birth mother - to a heroin-induced coma.

Lexie, 17, from St. Helena, CA, used to be a good girl who rode horses and excelled in school, but when she was 11, Lexie was molested by someone she trusted. She has since suffered from depression, become verbally abusive toward her parents, given up horseback riding and started failing in school. Lexie's parents sent her to SageWalk hoping she'll learn to deal with the secret that still haunts her.

Frank, 15, from Sacramento, CA, has anger management issues and problems with authority. He was recently suspended from school for arguing with a teacher and was sent to live with his uncle, a probation officer. Frank admits to being verbally abusive and furious at the world, and was sent to SageWalk to learn how to deal with his anger.

Derek, 14, from Litte Rock, AK, is a destructive teenager who has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. He is failing school and is verbally abusive towards his mother. Derek's parents have sent him to SageWalk to learn discipline, respect and self-control.

Isaiah, 17, from Winton, CA, is an angry punk rocker who smokes, drinks and has an obsession with fire. Isaiah is verbally abusive towards his mother and blames her for his parents' divorce. He's defiant and bitter, and is constantly getting into fist fights at school, especially with the 'jocks.' Isaiah's mother sent him to SageWalk to learn how to deal with his anger issues.

Led by Tony Randazzo, aka "Glacier Mountain Wolf" - as all field instructors take earth names at the camp - the SageWalk field instructors guide these troubled teens through this potentially life-changing experience. Glacier, who also serves as the series' narrator, hit rock bottom himself as a teenager, abusing drugs and alcohol and living on the street, and claims a wilderness camp similar to SageWalk saved his life. As the primary manager, Glacier trains and supervises the rest of the field staff and is the first face the teenagers see upon arrival.

Other field instructors at SageWalk include "Little Big Bear," who teaches wilderness survival out in the field; "Mountain Wind," who is responsible for the teenagers' safety and health while in the wilderness; "Boulder," the instructor who often ends up dealing with the most difficult cases; and "Cougar," who prides himself on making a difference in the lives of at-risk youth.

SageWalk therapists include Dr. J. Huffine, aka "Flying Eagle" who, as the clinical director, supervises the progress of each student; Cindy Fogel, aka "Mother Raven," who often relates to the teens as a substitute mother and is very empathetic and emotional; and Scott Fitzwater, aka "Fire Bear" who, in addition to working with the teens, also has direct contact with their families and ultimately decides when each student is ready to go home.

"Brat Camp" is from Shapiro/Grodner Productions, with Arnold Shapiro and Allison Grodner serving as executive producers, and John Platt as co-executive producer. "Brat Camp" is based on the award-winning U.K. series from Twenty Twenty Productions, with Peter Casely-Hayford, Jamie Isaacs, Claudia Milne and Mark Rowland serving as executive producers.

------------------------

So they are "contestants" now are they?   Not clients, patients, prisoners, or just participants.  What's the prize?  That they get out alive?

They are treating this just like Big Brother or Survivor."

They do, and that's making things even worse. Notice the way these kids are described-- they make them out to be some horrible "destructive, angry, struggling" animal that must be sent away to ensure the safety of the common folk. Also notice the girl who became depressed after being molested-- why the hell do her parents think that being marched through the hills of Oregon, getting yelled at, and experiencing a lot of "structure" and "discipline" (program code words for punishments and penalties) will help her?

I can't understand these people. I can't understand them at all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »
What are the parent's doing to change the dymanics at home while the kids are doing the tough stuff?  Isn't going back into the same environment just plain idiocy?  I'm not familiar with the show, does anyone know?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »
As indicated, none of the teens have any serious problems that cannot be overcome by the family at home. What the heck would sending them into the wilderness do?  :skull:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »
If these parents could deal with their children, they would not send them to SageWalk.  Asking for help is a brave step for any parent to take.  Why don't you all wait and watch the show before you assume you know everything about these people, the industry, and the staff who work with these kids :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :???:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »
On 2005-07-07 12:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"If these parents could deal with their children, they would not send them to SageWalk.  Asking for help is a brave step for any parent to take.  Why don't you all wait and watch the show before you assume you know everything about these people, the industry, and the staff who work with these kids :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :???: "

If these parents actually wanted to help their children, they wouldn't have given them up and handed them to strangers when things got a little rough. No, there's nothing wrong with asking for help. But there are many things wrong with paying someone to do your parenting for you, as these parents do, by giving their children to the program.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
to begin with you posted this on the wrong section of the form, who ever is admin needs to move you to teen help industry. Second, even though your in the wrong section of the forum some one will notice, and you will get a new hole ripped inside you, I hope your ready. I dont feel like it, so I'm going to let some one else do it.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline groovy4u

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »
Well I'm not ready to have a hole ripped into me, I wish I'd never posted it now since I've been reading this entire site. So where should it have been posted?

Offline groovy4u

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
I've emailed and asked them to please pull it. Thanks

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »
Sure, no prop, you want it to go to the Teen help industry or if you see the program you kid was in post it there.

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »
Hmmm I didn't see it, but it's more of a mentoring and education program with a 100% success rate (they claim) National Guard Youth Challenge...would you know if anyone has anything posted, I would like to read what others have to say.
Thanks for your quick response

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
On 2005-07-13 09:45:00, groovy4u wrote:

"I've emailed and asked them to please pull it. Thanks"

And I just answerd telling Groovy how she can delete her own posts.

But I wish you wouldn't. I have a few questions and comments. First, I don't really admin this site that hard. I don't think your posts are so off topic here. In fact, I think it might be worthwhile to compare Sage Walk w/ Youth Challenge.

I don't have any info. on YC. I did do a quick google search and didn't find anything terribly alarming about it. But then, most of what I found was advocacy from proponants.

When you say you gave him the choice, what does that mean? The problems you describe don't sound all that serious or really outside of the norm. I'm guessing that either you're not telling us all the dirty details or you've been hoodwinked (like so many) into viewing relatively normal adolescent behavior as a dire emergency.

If you're just not telling, go with that! It's a good instinct! I think it's just patently wrong and cruel the way parents in the industry talk so much shit about their kids in public w/ strangers.

OTOH, if you're just watching too much Oprah and Dr. Phil and have become convinced that normal teen angst is a dire emergency, I hope you'll stick around. You may gain some valuable perspective from some of the ppl who regularly post here.

Either way, I'd like to know more about YC. When you say you gave him the choice, what does that mean? I had a choice about siging into Straight, too; sign in and take my chances or be court ordered for two years. It wasn't really a choice. And no, I had never committed any criminal act to be rightly ordered into treatment. But I knew the Program had strong ties w/ juvenile justice people, and so there was no fighting it w/o resorting to a scorched Earth strategy w/ my parents as defendants in a child abuse case. I was unwilling to do that. No regrets about that.

So when you say it was his choice, what were the alternatives?

How did you find out about YC? Who refered you?

Are you able to communicate w/ your son while he's there? Does he have regular access to the outside world, such as news, mail, reasonable phone access? How much do you know about the day-to-day operation and methods of the program? Did you tour the place? Please, tell us something about it.

Were the power of Congress to be established in the latitude contended for, it would subvert the very foundation, and transmute the very nature of the limited Government established by the people of America.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0813912652/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> James Madison

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »
When the army gets involved good things happen...

HOOHA! Go Army!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
***If these parents could deal with their children, they would not send them to SageWalk. Asking for help is a brave step for any parent to take.

'Brave' step? An intellegent step would have been to research the facility. They don't have the best reputation in the industry, hence the 'free publicity' stunt. You can start here:

http://www.fornits.com/wwf/search.php

Offline groovy4u

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 02:16:00 PM »
Ok..It was my own research. I'm so damn sick of the lunatic Drs. telling me what I should do. I found it while he was in Rehab back in September of 2004 on the internet.  My son actually came to me after he again did something terrible and said he was going in the wrong direction and we did the whole meaning of life talk and you live and learn. I told him I tried drugs in my youth and stole and ran away and he would be ok after he gets off restriction for the millionth time. We went for too much help and it seemed to make his problems worse.  Now my main problem was that he was honor roll up to Junior High then failed the 9th grade then failed the 10th grade.  In and out of rehab for what he says was harmless drugs and that he doesn't have the mentality to become addicted to anything. He is 17 and said he feared he would give up and quit school and probably do construction for the rest of his life. Some of my brothers do it and hate it. But he knew he couldn't make up school and he basically asked me for some new direction. He told me that was why he was acting out. He is a very loving intelligent child whom I am so lucky to have. The problem is I did take responsiblity for his actions until he knew the difference between right and wrong. I feel no guilt for our decision, I just miss him right now.
My ex-husband and I talked with him about four programs in particular...the others did sound like cults. One was in Missouri called Future Men 4 God, (well he doesn't want to be preached to, doesn't believe in God anymore) and it was 2600.00 a month and a wilderness mentoring bible thing. When we told him we would have to use his college money for that he freaked. Other choice was Job Corps in Gainesville, FL...and it was a residential 36 month program. It seemed ok but probably not structered for his age group. They can do whatever they want, no protection basically. He turned that one down. Now he has no respect for the Military or our Government, which to each his own but for his age I wondered why. Well I found out he's been hanging around some kids at school who are let's say really radical and sing bad songs about African Americans...which he was expelled for singing a tune. That freaked me out. He was talking way too much about Hitler...let's say. I always let him form his own opinions and then we would discuss it. Finally my ex found a family religious bible thing in South Florida we knew he didn't want. The last was a National Guard Youth Challenge program that I found. I actually called parents who's boys were there (ages 16 - 18 only) for the 5-1/2 month program and heard heart wrenching wonderful success stories. Mind you I am a skeptic. We took our son and went to a Tour of the academy, this is a no cost program other than the essentials they need to bring with them, you don't have to be rich or poor to be accepted. They have Approx. 23 states that now offer this program. They focus this program on Mentoring (followed for the next year), Education, Self Esteem etc. Now the first two weeks they learn how to do the normal basics..Laundry, making beds, cleaning and exercise. After that it's about learning and having a life plan...(NOT A BOOT CAMP) but there is a structured environment. I would never ever send him to anything like that. He chose this, it's close to home and he can call me once a week and I write him everyday. Now the success I anticipate. He just started so won't be home until December. I will be able to see him in within the first 3 weeks, then he will get two home passes for long weekends. They offer not just a GED Program but also A High School Diploma Program depending on their scores.
If you would like more info I will post it. But I must tell you this forum scared me shitless!!  I am not for Boot Camps or TV shows about them...It wasn't for us. I watch 20/20 too.
Hope this helps and sorry I deleted my post..but I got freaked.