Author Topic: Programs who pay Finder's Fees  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Programs who pay Finder's Fees
« on: June 16, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
One of NATSAP?s key ethical guidelines, shared by the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA)?a nationwide network of professional educational consultants who help parents place their children in teen programs?deals with referral fees or ?finder?s fees.? Teen programs in the NATSAP association are forbidden from paying finders fees to educational consultants, and any educational consultant or firm found to have accepted referral fees from programs loses IECA membership.

?That kind of exchanging cash corrupts the whole system,? says Woodbury.

http://www.everyweek.com/News/News.asp?no=4970
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »
How do Ed Cons stay in business then? Who pays them?  Know that Whitmore does pay Sue Scheff. Was told this by Tim Lowe at Whitmore. Asked specifially.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 06:17:00 PM »
I think they get paid directly by the parents and, in Lon's case, they get advertising fees for their website. Wonder if Lon is still advertising for WWASP or not. Prolly so.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher.
--Ambrose Bierce

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 07:03:00 PM »
Take a poll---ask how many parents paid any Ed Con a dime.

I will bet you one thing: ANYONE who used PURE, the Sue Scheff referral service, did not write that woman a check.  The "schools" pay her directly.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »
Ginger is correct ... ed cons are paid by the parents for their services.

Private services like PURE are paid by the program, as I understand it from their website.

Not sure how many programs pay Finder's Fees or what they pay ... perhaps someone else knows?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »
How can PURE be paid by the PROGRAM and then dare say they are looking out for the best interest of the children who are placed there?
PURE could only be looking our for the best interest of their bank account figures.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
Believe it or not, when parents are calling about these programs, often they are not aware of WHO IS WHO. The ads talk about the "School, or Program." Then the parent calls the number, and is actually speaking with an Educational Consultant..... Often the confused (and yes, go ahead and say stupid) parent thinks they are just talking to another "department" or something. Seriously. The parent does not always understand the dynamics of the entire situation.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
I wouldn't call it "stupid" - but your right, many, if not most, Moms and Dads looking into finding help for a child have no real idea of the dymamics you speak of. Its more of an ignorance. Its not easy to figure out in short order either. I think part of the problem is also the stress the family is often in by the time the start looking for options like this. Stress makes people stupid - and the programs take great advantage of this fact.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
On 2005-06-16 18:52:00, BuzzKill wrote:

"I wouldn't call it "stupid" - but your right, many, if not most, Moms and Dads looking into finding help for a child have no real idea of the dymamics you speak of. Its more of an ignorance. Its not easy to figure out in short order either. I think part of the problem is also the stress the family is often in by the time the start looking for options like this. Stress makes people stupid - and the programs take great advantage of this fact."

Yes, and WHO better to put your faith and trust in then another parent who has been in your shoes and only wants to save you from making the same mistake(s) they did?

Very seductive, I agree!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »
A friend tells me I made the point while chatting. He's a pretty smart guy, so who am I to argue.

From chat
Then we're told that, if we want our kids to get ahead in life, we should send them to Head Start when they're 4 years old?!
And if they don't like being dumped off w/ strangers, the professional teachers will tell us to pretend it doesn't bother us when they cry pitifully and cling to our legs. Just walk away, tell them bye bye, here, I'll hold him for you  so you can go.....
I almost smacked on woman for that when my oldest was a baby
But think about it? It goes along pretty much like that, w/ strangers on tv and in professional offices constantly telling us what to do w/ our kids and suggesting that we don't know a damned thing, that we're not competent to make any minor decision. Leave it to them.
By the time the kid is 16 and acting a little buggy, the only thing they know to do is whatever some professional sounding, friendly voice on the phone tells them is the right thing. Or whatever they see on Oprah. Or whatever Dr. Phil says.

To seek out the best through the whole Union, we must resort to the information which from the best of men, acting disinterestedly and with the purest motives, is sometimes incorrect.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson Letter to Elias Shipman and others of New Haven, July 12, 1801.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 10:29:00 PM »
So what's the going rate these programs pay for a kid?

Anybody know or is that some kind of secret, too?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »
Oh yeah, and by the way, why would a program have to pay for referrals, anyway?