Author Topic: What exactly do people mean when they say "Get over it'?  (Read 5460 times)

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
What exactly do people mean when they say "Get over it'?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »
To who ever signed the anon -R most resently, you seem to be taking the "Get over it" stance very well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 10:28:00 AM »
Overlord what Seed did you attend?

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »
I did not attend a seed, thats why I'm not commenting on seed, I was commenting on said anons talk and additude.

I generally dont post on seed forum, unless to ask for info, but I felt as if I had to say something because of what was said.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
R-

Certainly choosing to be a victim is not the most healthly response to the Seed. But I am not so sure it's really choosing to be a victim. Choosing being the operatie word there. Let me explain what I mean.  

I think many people who were put in the seed by well-meaning parents or courts - maybe they don't have the same outlook on the results because they are in fact, still on some emotional or maturity level stuck way back there in the past.  I know on some levels that's where I am.

Real addicts who embraced the teachings probably did benefit and their lives were made richer and better by the experience of separating themselves from the evil in the outside world.

But there were many, many others who did not have any physical addictions and did not benefit from that separation.  For them is was a very different traumatic experience that stunted growth rather than fostered it. I am one of those.

Traumatic experiences can lock a person into a particular mindset, and sometimes can make a person mentally ill and unable to deal with the real demands of life.  And, like me, if the person was unforutnate enough to not be an addict when they were put in there, then it can have really negative effects on psychological development and maturity.  

To really simplify it - if a person did not have some form of cancer, even if cancer was believed by everyone to be a theart to society (like drugs were believed to be a systemic problem in our society) - would there be any benefit to forcing chemotherapy or radiation treatments on that person? Would it prevent cancer or would it make the person sick?  

Does rehabilitation of a non-existent problem, even when done with the best intentions, mean that the medicine won't hurt?

I have seen that in myself - being stuck and reacting to severe conditions and important life decisions with the very limited perspective of a teenager trying to muddle through life under the mistaken belief that I am a sick person.  I say this to explain why I started this thread in the first place - because of my reaction to the whole GET OVER IT comment on another thread.

Yes, it angers me when people say that - it angers me on many levels. I really don't want my ass kicked by strangers and anons for not being a fully evolved person on every level - and perhaps that just more of my persecuted teen perspective leaking through.   I am not above reacting to what I perceive as negative stimulus.

I think we all have a purpose in life, a journey to make, and it's quite obvious we all aren't in the same place at the same time.  Personally, I think it's a good thing - that's why I posed the question in the first place - to get some concrete, "how to" information.  It's so much easier to move forward when you have some kind of road maps.

Someday I will be "over it" and I will be absolutely relieved to know in my heart that I got over it.  With luck and perseverence and forgivness and who knows what else, I will be there eventually.

Respectfully,
Stripe

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
:tup:  :tup:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »
On 2005-06-24 07:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"R-

Certainly choosing to be a victim is not the most healthly response to the Seed. But I am not so sure it's really choosing to be a victim. Choosing being the operatie word there. Let me explain what I mean.  

Real addicts who embraced the teachings probably did benefit and their lives were made richer and better by the experience of separating themselves from the evil in the outside world.

But there were many, many others who did not have any physical addictions and did not benefit from that separation.  For them is was a very different traumatic experience that stunted growth rather than fostered it. I am one of those.

Me too Stripe, me too. On top of losing what little family I had, all my friends and self confidence, what I did was internalize anger and developed extreme problems with authority which led to many more problems for me. I could not even understand why I was that way...it took a long time to sort thru it.

For many years, I refused to even acknowledge it could have been a good experience for anybody because I saw the whole issue of cultic immersion as extremely negative. But there has to be room for contrary experience and I have softened on that position somewhat.. for instance someone who was an addict that got over their addiction in the seed would defintely see the experience from a different perspective than you and I, who were just kids thrust into a personality cult/drug rehab for no real reason. Forcing a 14 year old to abandon all of his ego and identity is generally a bad thing...but a 20 year old heroin addict may think that is a fair trade off. Then again maybe not....

There is no 100% right or wrong. However, I still strongly believe that the Seed and all these synanon type programs cause much more problems than they solve and are generally destructive to the majority of people who experience them.

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »
I am glad to know that over time my attitude will soften.  I guess after spending 30 years trying to figure out what was wrong with me (when there was never really anything wrong other than "bad medicine") well, it does make me resent all of the anguish, lost time and wasted effort. But, the good of it is I finally figured that out just a few months ago.  

So, I guess in time I will soften, unlike my girl-moustache which (as you can see) has gotten thicker and stiffer as the years have passed.  I used to be a blonde, ya know.  Now you can see what bad medicine does to the outside as well as the inside. :grin:
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Erinys

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
Another non-Seeder here...

"Getting Over It"  is not the same as forgetting about it. If there is one thing veterans of these programs can do it is to speak out about their experiences.

It may go some way toward preventing others from being hurt.

YELL and TELL!

May 12-13: Sowed Hemp at Muddy  hole by Swamp. August 7: Began to separate the Male from the Female at Do - rather too late.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington (Diary)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »

So, I guess in time I will soften, unlike my girl-moustache

Tell you what, that thing is impressive~

:grin:

Gregfl

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »
::bigsmilebounce::  ::hehehmm::  ::rocker::  ::mecry::  ::kiss::  ::eek3:: Some of us are over it some are not, some have benefited some feel not, some are crazy some are sane, Where would we all be if we never did go through the Seed?  Our hearts know don't they?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
On 2005-06-24 01:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

Oh, our little narcissistic problems - "what about me? The "Seed" ruined my life; I'm crippled and can't move on; I'm dysfunctional, and my life is F***ED up because my youth was raped and stripped as I know it and I chose to be a victim.

Ok, let me make this perfectly clear. Don't worry about me at all. I'm fine. I'm not crippled, I have moved on, I'm not dysfunctional and my life is so good I can't even begin to tell you. I have never chosen to be a victim in my entire life. Every time someone has victimize me, I've chosen to be a tough bitch and make sure it cost them more than they could take from me right up to the point where they figure out it's not worth the trouble and move on. I don't really carry grudges. I only defend myself and my own when necessary.

All that despite the fact that, in my youth, my family became involved w/ a fucked up personality cult. My mom never came out of it, but then she was pretty messed up to begin with. The Program didn't do anything to her but present an oportunity to show her true colors in vibrant and stark clarity.

So, now that I'm over it, having moved on w/ my life to the point where I see the relavence of politics, public policy and such to my own life, I find out that the people who brought us The Seed and Straight, Inc. have done anything BUT move on. In fact, They've been busy as hell! They've made lucrative careers in the public sector out of shoving various aspects of their wonder cure for troubling teenagers into every spending bill and public policy imaginable.

I think my neighbors and fellow tax payors are entitled to know just as much about these sadistic altruists as I do. Can you give me one good reason why I should withhold that information?

The last struggles of a great superstition are very frequently the worst.
--Andrew Dickson White (1832-1918)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »
"Where would we all be if we never did go through the Seed?  Our hearts know don't they? "

Nah, there's no way to know where you would have ended up.  But I can make one sure prediction in response to your post:

Not exchanging ideas on a forum like this.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »
On 2005-06-24 12:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

" :smile:   Where would we all be if we never did go through the Seed?  Our hearts know don't they? "

alive sane and out of jail is my best guess.

If I had to garner a guess, I think I would have probably gone to medical or veterinary school instead of spending those years lashing out at authority and angry.

But my heart can only surmise...my family was so disfunctional anyway and the Seed only worsened the situation.

(PS..I am glad I never went to medical school because I would be working harder for less money   ..maybe the seed did something for me after all   :grin: )