Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 1633 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Introductions
« on: October 17, 2002, 04:09:00 PM »
My name is Bob Patterson.  It was Bob Newman when I entered the Straight program June 16, 1978.  I was a part of the largest group of clients from the Milton Roy building which became Modern Talking Picture Service and later went on to become Silor Optical on Park Street near Sheen Drive in west St. Petersburg.  In September of 1978, the program suffered an enormous loss of support following the "Tampa Screw-Up" and more can be read about this event in the Straight Survivors forum under that same heading.  All of my posts can be read by clicking on members, finding the poster name 85 Day Jerk, clicking on it and then clicking on read posts by this member.  I hate having to repeat myself.  The program was moved to the Morgan Yacht building on 72nd Street North near the Tyrone Mall.  We were exposed to raw fiberglass, inadequate ventilation, automotive exhaust, peeling lead based paint, improperly stored foodstuffs, bacterially/fungal/and mold infested carpeting as well as the sharing of 2 toilets

and 3 urinals by over 300 teenagers with absolutely zero janitorial maintenance.  On more than one occasion, I had stepped on a used tampon that had not made it's way to the trash can.  We were lined up and herded like animals 12 at a time for guys.  I can only imagine what it was like for the girls.

In the afternoons we were allowed 5 seconds at the water fountain.  Staff would call row for row to line up, and the lucky first 15 or so got cold water until it ran to room temperature.  If I felt I could get away with it, I would pretend to wash my face before open meeting and slam a few handfulls of water into my mouth during that Bathroom Break to tide me over since Open Meetings went on until 2a.m. some nights.  The abuses are far and wide and this is just the tip of the iceberg.  There will be more to come, I just am having trouble finding a way to express it that won't end up reading like a novel.  The photos brought back memories, but how come no photos of the back parking lot where we had 7 Stepper raps and played basketball?

We walked in darkness, kept hitting the walls
I took the time to feel for the door
I had been treated, but what the hell for?

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2002-10-17 13:13 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline stewball

• View Profile
Introductions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 11:33:00 PM »
please tell me what happened during either your intake or give me a for instance if you don't care totell me about yours in particular i understand- - i was in siblings in the eighties because my brother was in the program- staff had just enough dirt on me to justify harassing me and my parents with the goal of putting me in the program- i always wondered if  the almost weekly "meetings" that i had one on one with various staff members were pre- intake or something leading to that- it seemed that they backed off as soon as they knew for sure that i would not be going in- they got real relaxed all of the sudden about whether or not i was even present fat the raps -thank God-and so i eventually escaped going to open meeting and sibling rap except for once a month- this indicates to me that staff was really just concered with getting me in group and getting a little bonus for it- or whatever they had as incentive-and as soon as they realized that my dad would not allow it they gave up.  - i want to know because i came so close to it. let me know if you would, ok? thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »