Author Topic: Mental Health Screening in Schools Signals the End of Parent  (Read 31825 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
In the 2005-2006 school year, all parents will receive written notice of new policies from your children?s schools. Many schools will ask you to sign permission slips, allowing school counselors or ?advocates? to have conversations with your children. You will be told how your local schools are now involved in vision and dental screenings, learning disabilities and speech impediment screenings, and other acts of kindness, but watch for the small print or the extra little blurb, which states that your children will also be evaluated for emotional wellness. Watch for wording like ?happiness indicators? or ?family participation.?

The fact is that our president has mandated that every American child, age 3 through 18, is federally ordered to be evaluated for mental health issues and to receive ?enforced? treatment. Welcome to President Bush?s New Freedom Initiative and New Freedom Commission on Mental Health. Welcome to life-long profiling and drug addictions, New Freedom-style.

52 million students and six million adults working in schools, according to this commission, will be tested and should flush out at least 6 million people, or shall we say new customers, who will then be mandated to receive ?treatment.? What treatment does our president?s commission have in mind? The newest drugs in the pharmaceutical pipelines, of course. The commission recommends ?specific medications for specific conditions.?

One of the state-of-the-art treatments, and most expensive, is an implanted capsule ? yes, that?s right, implanted. The capsule delivers medication into a child?s body without the child having to swallow a pill or the need for parental permission for dispensation.

The New Freedom Commission named the Texas Medication Algorithm Project (TMAP) a model treatment plan. Medical algorithms are a flowchart-style treatment indicator. If you have A symptom and B symptom, take C medication. TMAP began with the University of Texas, big pharma, and the mental health and corrections system in Texas. The American Psychiatric Association concurs that TMAP is brilliant.

However, the New Freedom Initiative and Commission is a political-big pharma marriage. Many companies who supported TMAP were also major contributors to Bush?s re-election funds. For example, Eli Lilly manufactures olanzapine - one of the drugs recommended in the New Freedom plan, and furthermore, George Herbert Walker Bush was once a member of Lilly?s board of directors. Our current President Bush appointed Lilly?s chief executive officer, Sidney Taurel, as a member of the Homeland Security Council. Eighty-two percent of Lilly?s $1.6 million in political contributions in 2000 went to Bush and the Republican Party. Do tell?

Texas Algorithm grossed over 4 billion dollars in 2003 and olanzapine is Eli Lilly's top selling drug. A 2003 New York Times article by Gardiner Harris claims that 70 percent of olanzapine sales are paid for by government agencies, such as Medicare and Medicaid. And lo and behold, guess who is now able to bill Medicaid for health services? Public schools, of course, as they are now under the big pharma-political profits/pay-back umbrella once they adopt screening policies. Public schools can now be paid to screen and drug your kids.

Now, if you ever wonder, ever again, if public-private partnerships care about people, then you need a brain transplant. Your children are now the legislated guinea pigs and lab rats for the pharmaceutical companies who bought and paid for our president?s campaign. Favors are now returned to those companies in the form of enforced, juvenile customers, their health, and their future drug addictions.

But wait, there is more. The New Freedom Commission also calls for enforced treatment. That means that parents have no rights to refuse the treatment recommenced by TMAP and other drug dispensing corporate-bureaucratic apparatuses. And as the mental health bureaucracy is also involved in this financial game of insidious cruelty, parents and families are also to be investigated via the result of their children?s screenings in schools. In other words, schools are now the across-the board, or shall I say nation, diagnostic tool for big pharma and child control.

And there?s more. The U.N. Agenda 21 has also called for total intrusion into schools and children lives. No more religion, no more individuality, no more real education, no more real grades, no more real teaching, no more teacher respect for parents, and no more truth from teachers or principals. This sounds very familiar and very political to me. And I?ve said it before, and I will say it again: if you are of a religious ilk and you refuse to allow your children to be abused by our ?educational? system, the stage is being set for you to lose physical custody of your children. I suggest that you read this: Rethinking Orphanages for the 21st Century by Richard McKenzie, ed

Still got your kids in public schools? Shame on you, and may God bless your poor children and forgive you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mental Health Screening in Schools Signals the End of Parent
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »
if you can show me a private school in northern new jersey that doesn't have a republican agenda, then I might listen. Not that I am anti-rebulicans across the board, I'm just not fond of the current admins.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 11:56:00 PM »
Not a partisan issue, not at all. I agree though, unless you are rich there aren't many choices.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 02:25:00 AM »
I hope this gets contested and sued into oblivion.

I seriously cant see any part of america taking this unless theyre just that meek and obedient to the G.O.P.... I mean how can this agree with thier own (at least according to what they say, not what they DO) party wanting smaller government and personal responsibilty and being anti-drug? Oh, yeah, lets shove kids full of drugs that have more side effects and are more dangerous than the pot we dont let them smoke! WOO HOO!

Just... honestly, any sane parent would see this and be VERY pissed off. VERY VERY pissed off. My stepdad can't believe it... but then again he cant believe in the programs existance easily either.

The nature of psychological compulsion is such that those who act under constraint remain under the impression that they are acting on their own initiative. The victim of mind-manipulation does not know that he is a victim. To him the walls of his prison are invisible, and he believes himself to be free. That he is not free is apparent only to other people. His servitude is strictly objective.

--Brave New World Revisited, Aldous Huxley, 1958

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »
New legislative initiatives almost always go overboard and have to be slapped down to make them correct their excesses.

The way to bitchslap this one is to take your child to a board-certified pediatric psychiatrist for an evaluation, and (if you have good enough insurance) take your child for private neuropsychological testing (the fancy name for learning disability screening).

If your child is essentially normal, as most children are, get a letter from your private expert saying so.  Amend any "consent" form the school asks you to sign with "consent for this denied--screening already completed."

If they try to enforce it---or *when* some overzealous bureaucrat tries to enforce it---then you sue the crap out of them.  And you win.

Bitchslapping the government when they're being excessive isn't all that hard.  You just have to construct the right test case.

In *this* case, I expect *either* the ACLU or the ACLJ would be absolutely enthused about working with a set of parents to construct a good test case and carry it through the courts.

(The ACLJ is a conservative org that often opposes the ACLU but has the benefit that when a government excess isn't politically correct for the ACLU to oppose, sometimes the ACLJ will pick it up----and they'd almost certainly be appalled at the prospect of parents being forced to medicate their kids to government specifications.)

*I* believe in screening.  

But only as an instrument to inform the parents if there are potential issues they may wish to follow up with their own chosen care providers.

The schools don't make you get your kid glasses or braces or a back brace (scoliosis), they shouldn't make you get your kid a pdoc or pdrugs---UNLESS the kid is totally disabled without further care.

Which is very, very rare.  And even rarer that parents are willing to ignore total disability.  But in the case of Christian Scientists and other extremists, it *occasionally* happens.

Sure, I support screening.

I also support bitchslapping government when it tries to take what's a good idea as a very small screening service and tries to blow it up into an Orwellian Monster.

And with any new program there's always one or two overzealous bureaucrats.  It's the nature of bureaucrats.  Until the courts' bitchslappings, or the voters' bitchslappings, generate precedent as to where the hard limits are.

I think any government agency that presumes to prescribe specific meds to specific people on a cookie-cutter basis is dangerously out of control and *needs* to be bitchslapped.

Sue away. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hell, when the first lawsuits come down the pipe, if they're good test cases where the kid really isn't totally disabled with parents who are ignoring it, post the information and I'll contribute money to the legal fund.  I may not be able to contribute a lot, but I *will* contribute.

Legislatures legislate, bureaucrats exaggerate, citizens litigate, and the courts eviscerate--the bureaucrats, that is.

Screening is a good idea---but only to give the parents information on potential problems they might otherwise miss from just being too close to their kid to see the signs, and then let the parents use their best judgment on what to do with the information.  But we have to go through the whole process to get to that.

Bureaucrats are what they are.  They're like fire.  You have to have it, but you have to be very careful not to let it get out of control.

Timoclea

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »
I thought you were a Republican, Tim. It is not the role of government to screen kids so they can ?inform the parents if there are potential issues they may wish to follow up with.?
And why should parents have to go into defense mode, spend money to ?prove? their kid is ?normal? to avoid the ramifications of this insane agenda?

Who do you think is going to pay for this clever scheme hatched by the Bushes and their cronnies in the drug cartel?

Annual Budget
The budget below is based on the conduction of four screening projects.  Please note that only the Project Coordinator, DISC Supervisor, and Case Manager are salaried, and these people would be employed for nine months only.
Budget for Salaried Employees:
$33,941 Project Coordinator (based on salary and fringe benefits of $45,255)
$29,250 DISC Supervisor ($39,000)
$33,941 Case Manager ($45,255)
$21,000  Clinician (420 hrs@$50/hr)
$10,800  Helpers (2 helpers/day @ 6 hours each ? 180hrs@ $15/hr)
$6,000   Student Incentives (1200@$5 each)
$400    Supplies
$8,400   Laptop computer(6 @ $1400each)
$200    Printer
$360    Cell Phone (9 months @ $40/month)
---------
Start-up:
Maintenance: $144,292
Total    $135,692
Total $180 Per student  $170 Per student
Potential Additional costs:
$812 Partitions (14@ $58 each)

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:KJ ... creen.org/
CTSP__Initializing/Models/Model_5/body_model_5.html+%22CTSP%22+
Columbia+screen&hl=en

There are 53 million school kids in the United States. Reports indicate that 8 million kids are already on psych drugs.

That means they've already gotten to 15% of our children!  FIFTEEN PERCENT!
They're even drugging babies now:  http://tinyurl.com/8r2hq

The goal of Columbia University's TeenScreen program is to screen every kid in the U.S. which will result in even more kids being drugged.

+++++++++++++++

Listen here: http://www.eagleforum.org/radio/3min/index.html
Go to the bottom, click on March 9, "TeenScreen asks nosy questions"
Commentary by columnist and author Phyllis Schlafly.
+++++++++++++++

Internal e-mail from top TeenScreen official, Laurie Flynn. She's "looking for a horse to ride" and she needs to get some "kids screened"!
Document provided courtesy of Florida public record law:
http://tinyurl.com/apead
+++++++++++++++

Students snagged in TeenScreen scam:
http://tinyurl.com/84bnq
+++++++++++++++

Business Card of TeenScreen's Director:
http://tinyurl.com/dtxeg
+++++++++++++++

Screening Flow Chart:
http://tinyurl.com/btbvm
+++++++++++++++

Consent Form - Get free movie passes!
http://tinyurl.com/7u2xy
+++++++++++++++

Student must then sign off and give okay:
http://tinyurl.com/d9sz4
+++++++++++++++

Then the young student is sat down and given these questions:
http://tinyurl.com/ckwcs
+++++++++++++++

A psych then considers what label to use on the young student:
http://tinyurl.com/7pgz6
+++++++++++++++

Then they make a Summary Report:
http://tinyurl.com/d2zrc
+++++++++++++++

And what do you think comes next?
http://tinyurl.com/4lxl5  Video
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:34:17 PM by Guest »
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
http://www.independent-media.tv/item.cf ... 20Reported
Independent Media TV
Under Reported
May 28, 2005

TeenScreen - Who Pays For Treatment & Drugs?
By: Evelyn Pringle
Independent Media TV

Who will pay for the Bush-recommended mass mental health screening programs like TeenScreen, and the follow-up treatment and drug therapy? In the end, American tax payers will, for the most part.

According to the May 8, 2005 issue of Lab Business Week, a new analysis by the US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) reveals that Medicaid is now the largest single payer of mental health services, exceeding private insurance, Medicare, or other state and local spending.

The report notes that spending for patient care in psychiatric hospitals has decreased, while expenses for prescription drugs, have increased. One out of every 5 dollars spent on mental health care now goes for psychotropic drugs.

Bush established The New Freedom Commission on Mental Health in 2002 by executive order. The Commission recommends that all 50 states start testing and treating mental disorders as early as possible, focusing on the nation's 52 million students, who can be easily accessed in the public school system.

The Commission's report recommends the use of a Texas-based project called the Texas Medication Algorithm Project (TMAP), which is basically a list of expensive drugs.

Launched in 1995, while Bush was Governor, TMAP was developed through an "expert" consensus process that included the University of Texas, the state mental health and prison systems, and representatives with strong financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

The original TMAP model was funded through a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, an outgrowth of the Johnson & Johnson pharmaceutical giant, along with money from ten other drug companies.

Bogus Mental Illnesses

In order to successfully market their costly new drugs, the pharmaceutical industry needed new mental illnesses. Thanks to their friends in the psychiatric community, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM), now lists over 350 mental disorders which are nothing but a list of behavioral symptoms. The DSM is known as a psychiatrist's "billing bible."

The disorders listed are not based on any scientific criteria. There are no blood tests, brain scans, or chemical imbalance tests to verify that these disorders are an actual disease.

Unlike medical diagnoses that convey a probable cause, treatment and prognosis, the disorders in the DSM are voted in by members of an American Psychiatric Association committee. Illnesses voted in include ridiculous labels like Caffeine-Related Disorder, Mathematics Disorder, Disorder of Written Expression, and the all-encompassing Phase of Life Problem.

Who Needs TeenScreen?

TeenScreen has attempted to create a suicide hysteria in the media when the truth is, suicide has been on the decline for over a decade. There is no suicide epidemic among any age group let alone children.

Between 1992 and 2001, the suicide rate for kids ages 10 to 19 fell from 6.2 deaths per 100,000 people in 1992 to 4.6 per 100,000 in 2001, according to statistics from the Center for Disease Control.

While the drug company funded team steps up efforts to set up mass screening in schools across the country, critics are becoming more vocal. "The New Freedom Commission is blatantly promoting the coercive and manipulative tactics that have led to millions of children being falsely labeled with mental disorders in our public schools," according to Peter Dockx, of the Citizen's Commission on Human Rights, "Schools have become mental health clinics where children are diagnosed based on subjective questionnaires, instead of given proven educational solutions," he said.

"This fact was substantiated," Dockx said, "by a report from the President's Commission on Excellence in Special Education, which found that 2.4 million children had been diagnosed with mental 'disorders' and placed in Special Education, when in fact these children had simply not been taught to read."

Plant The Seed - Make Kids Questions Their Own Sanity

TeenScreen is planting the seed of mental illness in the minds of children by using loaded questions that make teens believe that normal everyday feelings and thoughts are somehow abnormal. Here are a few questions from the TeenScreen survey.

In the last year, has there been a time:

(1) When nothing was fun for you and you just weren't interested in anything?

How many kids could say they enjoyed themselves and found life interesting for 365 days in a row?

(2) When you couldn't think as clearly or as fast as usual?

Could any kids claim they were never confused in the past 365 days?

(3) When you had less energy than you usually do?

What does this mean? Less energy when? At school? At play? In the evenings? In the morning? When? Geeeezz.

(4) When you felt you couldn't do anything well or that you weren't as good-looking or as smart as other people?

How many adult could think back on their teen years and answer no to this trick question?

(5) Have you often felt nervous or uncomfortable when you have been with a group of children or young people - say, like in the lunchroom at school or at a party?

Oh no, Susie thinks, I feel nervous in these settings and normal kids don't.

(6) Have you often felt very nervous when you've had to do things in front of people?

Show me a kid who loves to stand up in front of people and I'll show you an ego-maniac.

(7) Have you often worried a lot before you were going to play a sport or game or do some other activity?

Does this mean its time to gather up all the little league pitchers who get nervous on the mound and shoot them up with valium?

With its yes and no answers, this survey is a no-pass test and the prize for flunkies will be a quick trip to the nearest drug store.

What normal kid has not felt all of the things above during the past year? Kids who take this survey will forever question whether they are normal or not. The seed will be planted.

Kids who answer yes to even some of these questions, will be referred to a psychiatrist, diagnosed mentally ill and prescribed drugs. The idea will then be planted in their minds that anytime they don't like the way the feel, think, or act, all they have to do is take a pill.

TeenScreen provides a springboard into drug addiction.

The pill-pushers behind this scheme want to put kids on SSRI antidepressants, even after the FDA has now determined, "A causal role for antidepressants in inducing suicidality has been established in pediatric patients."

In Pinellas County, Florida, information gathered in an ongoing investigation by professional records researcher, Ken Kramer, supports the FDA's warning. Kramer discovered that in 2002 and 2003, 81% of the teens who committed suicide were either on psychotropic drugs or had received psychiatric treatment.

Between 2000-2004, in Pasco County, the investigation disclosed that 100% of the children who committed suicide were either on psychotropic drugs or had received psychiatric treatment.

The truth is, antidepressants are ineffective and dangerous, and TeenScreen does not lesson the rate of suicide among teens. A TeenScreen program was implemented in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1997. Yet according to a 2003 Tulsa World newspaper article, Mike Brose, the executive director of the Mental Health Association in Tulsa, stated: "To the best of my knowledge, this is the highest number of youth suicides we've ever had during the school year -- a number we find very frightening."

Drug Company Ties

The number one problem with the New Freedom Commission's recommendations for mass mental health screening is the financial influence of the pharmaceutical industry in the creation and implementation of programs like TeenScreen, and the adoption of drug algorithms in each state that require the use of expensive drugs.

The fact is, the main customers for these mandated drugs are the tax payers via the state Medicaid programs.

An October 31, 2004, letter to the editor in the Washington Times titled, "Go Slow on Mental Health Screening", by pediatrician Dr. Karen Effrem, is a powerful refutation of the New Freedom Commission chairman, Michael Hogan's, defense of mass mental health screening of all school children with tax dollars. Dr. Effrem writes:

"Given the very real problems of already existing coercion, subjective criteria, dangerous and ineffective medication, and the failure of screening to prevent suicide, none of which are covered in the NFC report, Congress would be wise to withhold the $44 million requested for state grants to implement the NFC recommendations.

"Whatever good may come from the other recommendations is completely overshadowed by the loss of freedom and damage that would come from labeling and drugging potentially millions of children based on these unsupportable screening and treatment programs."

According to Effrem, "If we don't act now, every child in America will be screened for mental illness: thousands, perhaps millions will be deemed "at risk" of developing mental health problems for which they will be prescribed powerful psychotropic drugs. The screening plan has been called Orwellian and diabolical - the treatment "model" the report recommends is a drug industry-sponsored guideline-- the Texas Medication Algorithm Project (TMAP)."

Not surprisingly, every drug company involved in funding the creation the TMAP model has drugs in one or more categories on the list.

Members of the panels who participated in the survey to decide which drugs would be chosen were drawn from pools of candidates who were already on record as supporting the new drugs.

A prime example of a member of the panel with ties to the drug companies is Dr Karen Wagner. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, Wagner conducted a Pfizer-funded study and reported that Pfizer's SSRI antidepressant drug, Zoloft, was safe, effective and well tolerated in children.

Wagner made this convenient claim at a time when both the British Committee on Safety in Medicines and the FDA had announced that they were re-examining all SSRI clinical trial data.

Over the years, Wagner had received research funding from Abbott, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly, Forest Laboratories, GlaxoSmithKline, Organon, Pfizer, and Wyeth-Ayerst; served as a National Institute of Mental Health consultant to Abbott, Bristol-MyersSquibb, Cyberonics, Eli Lilly, Forest Laboratories, GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, Otsuka, Janssen, Pfizer, and UCB Pharma; and participated in speaker's bureaus for Abbott, Eli Lilly, GlaxoSmithKline, Forest Laboratories, Pfizer, and Novartis, according to the September 3, 2003 Drug News.

Drug News gave a caustic assessment of drug company influence on Wagner's bogus study: "What we have here is a case study in how pharmaceutical companies respond to warnings that their products cause harm."

"Earlier that summer British health authorities advised against treating children under 18 with SSRI antidepressants because they trigger suicidal thinking and actual suicide attempts," Drug News reported.

Budget Breaking Scheme

According to a 2003 report by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, prescription drug costs are the fastest-rising component of Medicaid spending and they "are rising sharply because of increases in the number of prescriptions used, increases in the prices of prescription drugs, and the tendency for prescriptions to shift from older, less-expensive drugs to newer, more-expensive ones."

National sales of antipsychotics reached $6.4 billion in 2002, making them the fourth-highest-selling class of drugs, according to the New York Times in May 2003. The Pharma tracking group, NDCHealth, reported that "more than 7.4 million prescriptions were written for Zyprexa and more than 7.6 million for Risperdal in 2002."

Risperdal is the TMAP drug of choice for the treatment of schizophrenia drug. Risperdal, costs nearly $500 a month. Multiply that by 7.6 million and see why drug company profits are soaring.

The first TMAP model was adopted in Texas in 1995. By 1998, the state was in dire financial straights. An article in the Abilene Reporter News on June 18, 1998 entitled "Medications' costs forces MHMR into rationing" described the Texas system as "choking on the costs" of "new-generation medications that treat schizophrenia, depression and bi-polar disorder."

The article described the need for emergency funding to pay for these drugs. One official noted, "I believe that our (Mental Health) centers are in crisis right now because they're trying to squeeze money out for these new medications."

By 2002-2003 budget, Texas lawmakers had to increase the amount allocated for health and human services by $1 billion with a significant portion of that funding going for prescription drugs.

Because the drugs on these lists are the most expensive, profit-enhancing drugs on the market, TMAP models are bankrupting state Medicaid programs all over the country. (To read reports from Massachusetts, Florida, Texas, Illinois, and for more information go to http://www.ahrp.org)

TeenScreen's promotional material claims its survey is free and the project is not funded by the government or drug companies. However, according Ken Kramer, "nothing is free." Kramer recently learned that TeenScreen has already sold its 10 minute computer administered screening tool to a company called Multi-Health Systems, Inc. and starting in January 2006, TeenScreen sites will have to pay a fee.

In addition, government funds and drug company money have been used to set up TeenScreen programs in Ohio, Tennessee, and Florida.

Last year, TeenScreen's Executive Director, Laurie Flynn, went before Congress looking for money and asked lawmakers to divert funds from alcohol and drug abuse programs to TeenScreen. If this wasn't so serious it would be comical. This broad wants to take funding from drug abuse programs and use it to implement a pill-pushing scheme.

So what happens to students who flunk the survey and don't have health insurance or Medicaid to pay for the drugs?

Ken Kramer says, "Pull out your wallet school districts! TeenScreen recommends that you apply for grants or secure funds to cover the services needed by the teens."

By Evelyn Pringle http://www.independent-media.tv
© Copyright 2005 Independent Media TV

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
On 2005-06-05 17:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"if you can show me a private school in northern new jersey that doesn't have a republican agenda, then I might listen. Not that I am anti-rebulicans across the board, I'm just not fond of the current admins."

Sudbury Valley School
20 miles West of Boston, a few miles from Nathaniel Hawthorne's famous Wayside Inn on the outskirts of Framingham.
http://www.sudval.org/

This would be too far for a daily commute. But if you ask them, I bet they'd know if there's a similar school a little closer to you.

I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment, to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure.
--Clarence Darrow, American lawyer

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
Do you think she should have revealed
her Scientology reference?

http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/ ... 1113829319

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 9:01 am:    

---------------------
Pringle is supposed to be an "investigative" reporter. Why is there no mention of the "church" of Scientology or the real agenda that Ken Kramer and the CCHR have .....to destroy psychiatry and replace it with Scientology?

Tigger

I have not had the time to research complaints
on San Diego and California's current early detection program. I just know that complaints have never come up at the Mental Health Board nor
the Quality Assurance reports.

So I have nothing to say on this issue.

Dan Fisher, anti-medication/anti-psychiatry psychiatrist was on the New Freedom commission, I wonder what his input was on this program?

http://teenscreen.org/
or those who don\'t understand my position, on all subjects:

* Understand the law and your rights.

* Make sure you have the freedom of choice.

* Seek and receive unbiased information and
know the source of information.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »
I don't know. Should all journalists, or anyone with an opinion, divulge their religous affiliation?

While Scientology certainly exposes the fraudulent nature of psychiatry, I've never heard of a master plan to 'replace it with scientology'. I think that's a bit of a stretch, and I think your paranoia causes a bit of exaggeration in that regard.

How might that happen, Paul? Just curious how you imagine that might happen. I feel very confident, no certain in fact, that you and all your addicted friends will always have access to drugs.

You may not appreciate the source, but the information is worth consideration. Sometimes it takes one 'dragon' to slay another, if that is the case. Fortunately SOMEONE is on top of this issue.

Offline `

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
what about the prison thing in California?

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 04:27:00 PM »
I guess we will just have to disagree on
the validity of Scientologies contribution
to caring for the mentally ill.

Yes, I believe, if someone is quoting a cult
or the AMA, or SAMSHA they should divulge that.

Wouldn't you like the same courtesy?

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
Consumer Affairs News from the Center for Mental
Health Services
http://www.mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/consumersurvivor/

NIMH: Mental Illness Exacts Heavy Toll, Beginning
in Youth

Researchers supported by the National Institute
of Mental Health (NIMH) have found that half of
all lifetime cases of mental illness begin by age
14, and that despite effective treatments, there
are long delays - sometimes decades - between
first onset of symptoms and when people seek and
receive treatment. The study also reveals that an
untreated mental disorder can lead to a more severe,
more difficult to treat illness, and to the
development of co-occurring mental illnesses.

The landmark study is described in four papers
that document the prevalence and severity of
specific mental disorders. The papers provide
significant new data on the impairment - such as days lost
from work - caused by specific disorders,
including mood, anxiety, and substance abuse disorders.
These measures will allow researchers to
determine the degree of disability and the economic
burden caused by mental illness, as well as trends
over time.

The papers are reported in the June 6 issue of
the Archives of General Psychiatry by Ronald
Kessler, Ph.D., and colleagues. The study was a
collaborative project between Harvard University, the
University of Michigan, and the NIMH Intramural
Research Program.

This study, called the National Comorbidity
Survey Replication (NCS-R), is a household survey of
9,282 English-speaking respondents, age 18 and
older. It is an expanded replication of the 1990
National Comorbidity Survey, which was the first to
estimate the prevalence of mental disorders
(using modern psychiatric standards) in a nationally
representative sample. The expansion includes
detailed measures that will significantly improve
estimates of the severity and persistence of mental
disorders, and the degree to which they impair
individuals and families, and burden employers and
the U.S. economy.

"These studies confirm a growing understanding
about the nature of mental illness across the
lifespan," says Thomas Insel, M.D., Director of the
National Institute of Mental Health. "There are
many important messages from this study, but perhaps
none as important as the recognition that mental
disorders are the chronic disorders of young
people in the U.S."

Prevalence and Age-of-Onset of Mental Disorders
Unlike most disabling physical diseases, mental
illness begins very early in life. Half of all
lifetime cases begin by age 14; three quarters have
begun by age 24. Thus, mental disorders are
really the chronic diseases of the young. For example,
anxiety disorders often begin in late childhood,
mood disorders in late adolescence, and substance
abuse in the early 20's. Unlike heart disease or
most cancers, young people with mental disorders
suffer disability when they are in the prime of
life, when they would normally be the most
productive.

The risk of mental disorders is substantially
lower among people who have matured out of the
high-risk age range. Prevalence increases from the
youngest group (age 18-29) to the next-oldest age
group (age 30-44) and then declines, sometimes
substantially, in the oldest group (age 60 +).
Females have higher rates of mood and anxiety
disorders. Males have higher rates of substance use
disorders and impulse disorders.

The survey found that in the U.S., mental
disorders are quite common; 26 percent of the general
population reported that they had symptoms
sufficient for diagnosing a mental disorder during the
past 12 months. However, many of these cases are
mild or will resolve without formal interventions.

It is likely, however, that the prevalence rates
in this paper are underestimated, because the
sample was drawn from listings of households and did
not include homeless and institutionalized
(nursing homes, group homes) populations. In addition,
the study did not assess some rare and clinically
complex psychiatric disorders, such as
schizophrenia and autism, because a household survey is not
the most efficient study design to identify and
evaluate those disorders.

Failure and Delay in Initial Treatment Contact
The study documents the long delays between the
onset of a mental disorder and the first treatment
contact, as well as the accumulated burden and
hazards of untreated mental disorders.

These pervasive delays in getting treatment tend
to occur for nearly all mental disorders, though
they vary according to specific diagnostic
categories. The median delay across disorders is nearly
a decade; the longest delays are 20-23 years, for
social phobia and separation anxiety disorders.
This is possibly due to the relatively early age
of onset and fears of therapy that involve social
interactions.

Shorter delays between onset of disorder and
treatment seeking - still a protracted 6-8 years -
are seen for mood disorders, and are likely
attributable to public awareness campaigns, the
marketing of newer therapies directly to consumers, and
expanded insurance coverage.

While approximately 80 percent of all people in
the U.S. with a mental disorder eventually seek
treatment, there are public health implications
from such long delays in treatment. Untreated
psychiatric disorders can lead to more frequent and
more severe episodes, and are more likely to become
resistant to treatment. In addition, early-onset
mental disorders that are left untreated are
associated with school failure, teenage childbearing,
unstable employment, early marriage, and marital
instability and violence.

"The pattern appears to be that the earlier in
life the disorder begins, the slower an individual
is to seek therapy, and the more persistent the
illness," said Dr. Kessler, a professor of health
care policy at Harvard Medical School. "It's
unfortunate that those who most need treatment are
the least likely to get it."

Treating cases early could prevent enormous
disability, before the illness becomes more severe,
and before co-occurring mental illnesses develop,
which only become more difficult to treat as they
accumulate, according to the researchers.

Severity and Comorbidity of Mental Disorders
The second paper reports that even though mental
disorders are widespread throughout the
population, the main burden of illness is concentrated in
those with a severe disorder - about 6 percent. A
"serious" disorder involves a substantial
limitation in daily activities or work disability, or a
suicide attempt with serious lethal intent, or
psychosis. The serious group reported a mean of
88.3 days - nearly 3 months of the year - when they
were unable to carry out their normal daily
activities.

Unfortunately, say the researchers, individuals
with one mental disorder are at a high risk for
also having a second one (comorbidity). Nearly half
(45 percent) of those with one mental disorder
met criteria for two or more disorders, with
severity strongly related to comorbidity. This finding
supports the suggestion by a growing portion of
researchers that the boundaries between some
diagnostic categories may be less discrete than
previously believed.

Use of Mental Health Services
The study indicates that the U.S. mental health
care system is not keeping up with the needs of
consumers and that improvements are needed to speed
initiation of treatment as well as enhance the
quality and duration of treatment. For instance,
over a 12-month period, 60 percent of those with a
mental disorder got no treatment at all.

The good news is that the proportion of people
who reported 12-month mental health service use is
higher now - at 17 percent - than a decade ago in
the baseline NCS survey, at 13 percent. The
expansion was mainly in the general medical sector,
with more primary care physicians providing
psychiatric services.

People with mental or substance abuse disorders
were more likely to get treatment from a primary
care physician/nurse or other general medical
doctor (22.8 percent), or from a non-psychiatrist
mental health specialist (16 percent), such as a
psychologist, social worker, or counselor, than from
a psychiatrist (12 percent), though the survey
did show that the adequacy of treatment - measured
by number of visits - is best when provided by
mental health practitioners. About 9.7 percent
sought help from a counselor or spiritual advisor
outside of a mental health setting; and 6.9 percent
used a complementary-alternative source, such as
a chiropractor or self-help group. This held true
even for those with severe mood disorders.
Traditionally underserved groups, such as the elderly,
racial/ethnic minorities and those with low
income or without insurance, had the greatest unmet
need for treatment.

Future and Ongoing Efforts
The NIMH epidemiological research portfolio
contains several related projects that are focused on
mental disorders among adolescents and ethnic
subgroups. These include 1) an arm of the NCS-R that
is studying 10,000 youths; 2) the National Study
of African American Life, with 6,000
participants; and 3) the National Study of Latino and Asian
Americans, with 5,000 participants. Each of these,
like the NCS-R, will provide information on
diagnosis, medications, disability/impairment, and
service use, drawing from nationally based samples.

An international perspective on these findings is
also becoming available, as the study is part of
a global initiative on the epidemiology of mental
disorders in 28 countries, coordinated through
the World Health Organization.

For more information on the NCS-R, visit
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/healthinformation/ncs-r.cfm.
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this list, please
visit the Consumer
Survivor page of the Center for Mental Health
Services Web site at:
http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/consumersurvivor/

The Center for Mental Health Services is a
component of the Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration,
United States
Department of Health and Human Services.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 04:35:00 PM »
While Scientology certainly exposes the fraudulent nature of psychiatry, I've never heard of a master plan to 'replace it with scientology'. I think that's a bit of a stretch, and I think your paranoia causes a bit of exaggeration in that regard.

How might that happen, Paul? Just curious how you imagine that might happen. I feel very confident, no certain in fact, that you and all your addicted friends will always have access to drugs.

You may not appreciate the source, but the information is worth consideration. Sometimes it takes one 'dragon' to slay another, if that is the case. Fortunately SOMEONE is on top of this issue. "
[/quote]

I am not worried about Scientology's takeover of anything. They don't utilize studies to veryify their dogma.

I am worried about their hidden influence on the anti-psychiatry crowd and that they may in turn
influence a vulnurable psychiatric patient to not make an informed decision.

There are many in jail. I just spoke to some prominent prison psychiatrist and the refusal of medications is very, very low. I wonder why?

As for the source? To just put down all the research to date as fraudulent is easy, to utilize the data would take brains. That is why a cult like Scientology only influences the ignorant and gullible.