Author Topic: Will someone who went to Hyde please contact me right away  (Read 19395 times)

Offline `

• View Profile
please send me a pm. tommyfromhyde are you out there? anyone who lives near the CT or ME school?  THANKS
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Will someone who went to Hyde please contact me right away
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 04:35:00 PM »
I just graduated from hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
If you will post your personal email address, I can write you concerning the deplorable conditions at Hyde.  I do not know how to start a website, but I encourage anyone who does to please do so in order to expose what goes on!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »
I'm not positive, but I believe Hyde was sued a few years ago.  The CT. campus?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »
Since you just graduated can you tell me what you think of Hyde, good and bad

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
If you were thinking of sending your child to Hyde or if you are a student checking out Hyde,I urge you not to.  Hyde is more of a Cult than a school with very poor adademics and many unqualified teachers.  They spend a lot of time soliciting families to donate to the school, much more so than other boarding schools.  The "character building" seemed more like punishment by humiliation!

Also check out the extremely high turnover rate of teachers. What does that tell you?  As you see from this site, there are many negatives about Hyde and very few positives.  

I would research Hyde much further before you enroll.  You should continue talking to kids or parents who graduated.  This is good for any school you are planning to attend.

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »
I didn't find out about them soliciting parents
for donations until several years after I got
out. My dad told me about it. It sounded like
that was the main focus of the parent seminars.
Donations were how you proved that you "gave a
shit about your kid". It was apparently a real
guilt trip if you didn't donate.

To go to Journal of Applied Polymer Science go to http://www3.interscience.wiley.com and then journal search and put the journal number and year
-- Journal of Applied Polymer Science  Vol. 47, 1984

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 08:48:00 AM »
It was the TOTAL focus at the family weekends!  They get all the parents in the hall each day of the weekend and put incredible pressure on you by using more senior parents who tell you how wonderful the school is and how you are not committed if you don't give.  They do this to the teachers also, since many of them are former students.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
You forgot something.  Hyde also assigns senior parents from the region to strong arm the other parents in their region to donate.  This happens when they have the mandatory parent meetings each month.  My parents told me about this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »
Boy there's a whole lot of negativity here..sheesh.
Hyde isn't for everyone, it's for people that aren't satisfied with the way things are going in their families...it's a lot of hard work.  And you gotta agree the reason you even looked at Hyde in the first place is that your kid was pretty f***ed up..right..well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree..if you know what I mean, so it doesn't surprise me that I'm reading this stuff.
I was a student and a faculty member and I've moved on, but I cherish the times I had as both student and staff member, it's a great place and it does wonders for the people who buy into the program, just like ANY program.  The people who you're hearing from are the ones that wanted their kids fixed, without having to do any work themselves.  As soon as the behavior looked better, they were out of there.
Regarding the fundraising...it's obvisous that nobody is getting rich there...the money is actually needed for stuff like electricity, food and good teachers...they could just raise the tuition $2500 per kid, but instead they use the family weekend money pitch as a community builder...again..if you don't buy into the program..you don't get why you're being asked for money.
This website/forum is not the place to find out if Hyde is right for your family...you should probably go up for an interview...it's free, you can see the school in action..good things and bad, and you can maybe learn about what your family should be dealing with and whether or not Hyde is the place for you.
And Tommy...There was no fund rasing in the parent seminars when you were there...it was really low key and done in the school meetings.  Joe asked parents for money now and then, but when you were there in '76 the only fund raising was to a few really rich people that helped out with America's Spirit.  By the way there's no mention of that on this site.  I got to sing on Broadway and at the Kennedy Center, I would have never had that opportunity if I didn't go to Hyde.

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »
Is that last anon Sarah Carlin? If so I was in
your freshman class. BTW the only reason America's
Spirit was on Broadway was because Andy Mann's
father owned the Circle in the Square theatre.
AS was cornier than "Up With People!". No amount
of talent could save writing that bad!

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
--Anonymous

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
On 2005-09-12 14:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"If you were thinking of sending your child to Hyde or if you are a student checking out Hyde,I urge you not to.  Hyde is more of a Cult than a school with very poor adademics and many unqualified teachers.  They spend a lot of time soliciting families to donate to the school, much more so than other boarding schools.  The "character building" seemed more like punishment by humiliation!

Also check out the extremely high turnover rate of teachers. What does that tell you?  As you see from this site, there are many negatives about Hyde and very few positives.  

I would research Hyde much further before you enroll.  You should continue talking to kids or parents who graduated.  This is good for any school you are planning to attend."

So ... has Hyde been sued or not?  Seems to me the parent groups would know the answer to this question.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 07:54:00 PM »
I am sure Hyde has been sued plenty, but like everything they would keep it very quiet and hidden.  When we were there, there was rumor that Hyde was sued and this is why Ken Grant left as Headmaster.  Would be interesting to find out why they were sued.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
WHO are you?!  You are as clueless as they get...
Rumors exsist because of f-ing jerks like you!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »
Seems that you need to go back to a school that can teach you how to spell!  Also I question your "character" by the way you speak!!  What did you learn from Hyde?  

Were you there?  Why don't you dispel the rumors by telling us what happened?  What was the big scandal? Enquiring minds want to know!