Author Topic: Dark Rivers of the Heart  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« on: November 22, 2002, 11:18:00 PM »
Has anyone out there read this book?  It is chilling on more than one front, but the central theme is a right wing maniac group of govt rengades using high technology and suviellance to blackmail their way into power, and the people fighting them.  
Reminds me a bit of our new government powers and the current political climate.

Why does it feel genuinely scarey now, rather than something Orwelle wrote in a book a long time ago?
Bill
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 06:05:00 AM »
Orwelle, your talkin' deep stuff. I'd love to check this out.
 Sounds Cool. Peace.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 12:45:00 PM »
On 2002-11-22 20:18:00, Tampa survivor wrote:
Why does it feel genuinely scarey now, rather than something Orwelle wrote in a book a long time ago?
Bill"

It's obvious, you must be paying attention :scared:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 09:02:00 PM »
Oh who cares about all that political crap.  I for one am happy.  Super Wal-Mart is going up in town and I just can't wait.  A bag of KFC, a quick run to Blockbuster, ah -- let the holidays begin.  D'oh -- gotta run back out for Pepto Bismol.  I say, let the government look in on me.  I'm a red-blooded American - I've got nothing to hide.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 09:53:00 PM »
"I've got nothing to hide."

Maybe you don't, but suppose you find out that your best friend or your brother does...I'll spare you the "oh you don't care what happens as long as it doesn't happen to YOU" schpiel, because you have openly admitted that. Fine. Be that way. Personally , as far as this 'political or not' thing goes, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I admit that I'm not all that into it myself. I might smoke now and then, but my 'holding' days are over. But that's beside the point. We all know what's going on. Some of us do. I don't even want to start in with the dry topics about the hypocrisy of the war on drugs, etc...WE KNOW WE KNOW WE KNOW...we may know and be tired of hearing about it but that doesn't make it go away...I can certainly see being bored w/ the "political crap." I can! But can you honestly say that you don't care :question:     <<<<<<<<+>>>>>>>>  

[ This Message was edited by: AlexL on 2002-11-27 18:57 ]

Offline gagesteele

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/AmitySchool/
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 01:49:00 AM »
I say, let the government look in on me.  I'm a red-blooded American - I've got nothing to hide.

Uh.  No.

I am not willing to fork over my civil liberties just so some gang of fools, too lazy to be bothered to take care of their own business--let alone stand up for themselves, for what's right, and for what's guaranteed them by the Constitution--can slip further into the drooling, contented coma of their own false sense of security.

I'm sorry you don't feel the same, Anony.

With a nod to George Carlin,

Sara
Amity School Founding Class, 1988
ara
Amity School Founding Class, 1988

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2002, 07:42:00 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm picking my grandma up later and am going to drive her around in the convertable. She is 102 years old thank God. You know, way back when she use to visit me when i was in straight. She had no idea what was going on, I guess my folks didn't either. I spent 3 and a half years in the inferno. After 20 years it has faded away, but not for me, I am a fighter and will get back my liberty. As far as civil rights, thank God for the United States of America. I realize we aren't good on pot laws yet, but just wait till the bushes get out. I am hoping for a change like I beleive alot of other folks are. After all the crap bush is going to inflict on us, i'm thinking America will change and go back to a Clinton type. I hope. Thank God for my cow pasture where I pick plenty of mushrooms, thank God for the great outdoors where pot can be grown, Thank God for the people who really give a shit. Thank God that I am able to breath and eat and love all of my animals. For this I am greatful. Our Constitution guarantees us the right of an opinion, thank God for this and may everyone have a happy thanksgivings. Praise the Lord

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2002, 10:04:00 AM »
Happy ThanksTaking to you too,and the rest of you as well.

While i would agree with you to a point, dreammagician, I dont want you to be disillusioned by the though that ousting GW is going to magically make things better. It is not all his fault (NO, I AM NOT a SHRUB SUPPORTER).

Unfortunately the president is merely the man in front of the curtain, and while he may wield some power, where and how it is directed is all up the men behind the curtain.

After all, it was congress that passed the homeland security bills and created the HSD. It was our congress that gave more freedoms to the (no so)Intelligence agencies (who couldn't find there ass while both hands are stuck in it), which are run by those who are truly the most powerful individuals, that have no real accountability.

It is going to take more then removing the current prez, we need to remove anyone that has ever sat on a senate or congressional seat, and replace them with NON-Traditional party members  such as the libertarians, independents, or greens, just to name a few. Then we need to keep a revolving door for those that do not server us well.

As for Mr. Anon, who doesn't care.... I will be one of the ones to speak in your defense when they come knockin on your door and make you :cry2: , but when they leave I am gona give you a big I told you so and hefty kick in the ass.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2002, 02:16:00 AM »
Here, here!!
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2002, 10:52:00 AM »
The war on drugs IS politics.  The lunatic right wing fringe in the US has the whole world scared.  As the Canadians have pointed out George Bush is a moron.    And most would agree that he's a bloody dangerous moron at that.
But Ashcroft is equally crazed.  What about his calico cats as an incarnation of the devil.  What has HE been smoking?

Aaah! you yanks are crazy  javascript:void
http://fornits.com/wwf/images/smiles/icon_wave.gif