Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Insomnia
« on: August 25, 2006, 01:29:25 AM »
Never had it before Straight, even w/ a fucked up childhood, had it unmercifully ever since.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 02:16:56 AM »
Yeah, it's lots of un, ain't it?  Hits me sporadically, like a few nights in a row with little or no sleep, comes and goes.

Offline TimeBomb

• View Profile
Insomnia
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 03:26:09 AM »
Actually, what I have is not really imsomnia, but could be called a "circadian disorder". My clock is just totally irratic. I've been lucky enough to be able to set my own hours for the last few years, and since I've been able to sleep just about whenever I feel tired, I normally sleep about 8 hours a day, but there's not much regularity  to it. It might be at night, it might be during the day, it might just be 3 hours here and 4 hours there.

This has been with me ever since I can remember, long before I was in a Program. It really played hell with me when I was a kid, because I could never consistently sleep at night, even when forced to conform to a normal schedule. I would wind up having to go to school on just a few hours of sleep most of the time, and was a total zombie. I wound up skipping school on a regular basis in my teen years, just so I could go off into the woods and get some sleep. Thinking back, my inability to sleep regularly was really one of the reasons I wound up in a Program in the first place, since my whole pecieved "rebellion" really started with simply not going to school. And, since I was so sleep deprived as a kid, I was continually beaten down, mostly by my dad, as being "lazy" because it was damn near impossible for me to get out of bed some mornings, and I slept right though many alarm clocks.

It was a real problem through most of my adult life too, and a lot of the jobs I lost were due to just not being able to sleep at night, and simply not even hearing my alarm clocks. There were times when I set as many as 4 different alarm clocks, and even then, it would be hit or miss, as to whether or not I would even hear them. I tend to be a much lighter sleeper nowadays, and don't have as much trouble waking up, but if I have to be somewhere early, I'm often unable to get enough sleep, and I do what I have to, even if it's in a dreamlike state. The night jobs I've had were the ones that I had the most success with.

Working for myself doing tech stuff has really been a lifesaver, and since I've been able to actually get a sufficient amount of sleep, by sleeping when I need it, I normally feel well rested, and am all around much happier.

Like I said, this problem was with me before I was in a Program, and I wonder how many people also had it before, or if most other's with trouble sleeping got it afterward. I just wonder, how often is it caused by the Program, and how often is it possibly something that contributed to being put there in the first place.
ick, tick.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sleepless
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 05:38:19 PM »
in the last 5 years i have had a huge problem with insomnia. i have taken ambein it worked great for about 2 years. Then i became tolerant and had to switch to less effective meds.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Insomnia
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 08:41:21 PM »
Have you guys tried Melatonin? I have been plagued by severe insomnia for years...sleep medications rarely helped at all. But for the past year I have been taking Melatonin and now it takes me just under an hour to fall asleep....which is a HUGE improvement...no more 3-4 hours trying to sleep or those horrible all nighters. It helps me stay asleep too. Its cheap and OTC....
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline TimeBomb

• View Profile
Insomnia
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 10:26:34 PM »
Quote from: ""Nonconformistlaw""
Have you guys tried Melatonin? I have been plagued by severe insomnia for years...sleep medications rarely helped at all. But for the past year I have been taking Melatonin and now it takes me just under an hour to fall asleep....which is a HUGE improvement...no more 3-4 hours trying to sleep or those horrible all nighters. It helps me stay asleep too. Its cheap and OTC....

Melatonin does work for some people. When I tried it, it helped me sleep, but made it much harder to wake up, and I felt pretty worn out the next day. I've also tried sleeping pills, various herbs, diets, etc. The one thing that has worked the best has been just allowing myself to sleep when I actually feel tired. But I know some people are barely able to sleep at all, even at odd hours. And not everyone has the luxury of a flexible schedule.

The Nightowl mailing list at http://circadiandisorders.org/ has a lot of people on it that have had varying degrees of success with Melatonin, light boxes, Ambien, etc. Just figured I'd throw that out there, maybe somebody might benefit from it.
ick, tick.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Insomnia
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 04:36:15 PM »