Author Topic: Congressman Frank Wolf Advertised Straight In Congress  (Read 1726 times)

Offline `

• View Profile
Congressman Frank Wolf Advertised Straight In Congress
« on: May 26, 2005, 03:12:00 AM »
Straight, Inc.

HON. FRANK R. WOLF
OF VIRGINIA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Monday, May 24, 1982

Mr. Wolf.     Mr. Speaker, I want to bring to the attention of my colleagues the opening of a drug rehabilitation program called Straight, spearheaded by parents and business people in the 10th Congressional District of Virginia which has overwhelming importance to our young people and thus to the entire Nation. The greater Washington area program is modeled after the successful original Straight program in St. Petersburg, Fla., which has helped approximately 2,000 young people become responsible, drug-free citizens again. With the country's growing drug abuse problem, now reaching into the middle and elementary schools to exploit the youngest and most vulnerable individuals in our society, this type of help is vitally needed.

Adolescent drug and alcohol abuse has become America's fastest growing health problem. Drug users are not necessarily children from underprivileged families as commonly believed, but more often from well-to-do and unsuspecting families at higher income levels. It makes sense that these children are better able to obtain large sums of money to support their drug habits, as well as keeping them hidden from their families.

Straight, Inc. is a nonprofit, privately funded, family oriented program which provides rehabilitation services for 12 to 21-year-old drug users from around the country. It focuses on family participation and positive peer pressure to reinstate a positive self-regard and self-respect to the young person.  Straight accepts no money from any level of government. All operational proceeds are from the families it serves and donations from interested groups and individuals within the community.

Although the St. Petersburg program has accepted cases from all over the country including many from the greater Washington area, the facility is rapidly approaching the time when the need for its services will far surpass its capacity.  Moreover, there are literally thousands of other families who could benefit from this program but cannot afford to send their children to Florida. The Northern Virginia Organizing Committee has already received hundreds of calls from area families who need help. I support their work and want to endorse the committee's present campaign to solicit contributions from corporations, businesses, foundations, churches, civic clubs, and individual citizens in order to obtain financial support to bring this highly effective treatment program to this area. The group's first public event to raise funds to support Straight will come June 26-27, during "Straight Weekend for Greater Washington," when  area business will donate percentages of their profits to this worthy cause.

Straight is an excellent example of people, not government, helping other people. This is the spirit that made our country great and will keep it that way for young and old alike. I commend the 83 area families who are working so hard to establish the Straight program in northern Virginia. If you would like further information about "Straight Weekend for Greater Washington" or other aspects of the program, I encourage you to contact the Northern Virginia Organizing Committee at 703-476-3760 as soon as possible.

[this is from The Congressional Record, 1982, page 11567][ This Message was edited by: fka on 2005-05-26 07:34 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline infanalyst

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 06:28:00 AM »
On 2005-05-26 00:12:00, fka wrote:

"Adolescent drug and alcohol abuse has become America's fastest growing health problem. Drug users are not necessarily children from underprivileged families as commonly believed, but more often from well-to-do and unsuspecting families at higher income levels. It makes sense that these children are better able to obtain large sums of money to support their drug habits, as well as keeping them hidden from their families."

::puke::  ::puke::  ::puke::  ::puke::  

Now that I've put away the barf bag...

I always was able to obtain those large sums of money and keep my stash hidden from my parents...  :roll:  :roll:
Brent Lewis
American "War on Drugs" P.O.W.
5/17/86-12/2/87
Straight - DC (Springfield)

Offline `

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »
heh heh. well, not at my house exactly. but there were a couple of suburban houses with well-mowed lawns and a good bit of acid-dealing going on inside.

otherwise it was a pretty comical speech...

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »
i thought that Straight accepted financial contributions from the Republican party.  Maybe that wasn't until later.  Can anyone "straighten" me out on wether or not Straight accepted financial contributions from the government.  :???:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
On 2005-05-26 07:10:00, starry-eyed pirate wrote:

"i thought that Straight accepted financial contributions from the Republican party.  Maybe that wasn't until later.  Can anyone "straighten" me out on wether or not Straight accepted financial contributions from the government.  :???: "

No, the GOP (like any other political party) sucks in money and shells it out through lobbyists and political campaigns. The lobbying is all about channeling public funds right back to the contributors. So Program parents and supporters have often been encouraged to contribute to political campaigns to support program friendly causes. I understand from some program vets that they had been "asked" to "volunteer" directly for various political rundraisers and campaigns.

So, ferinstance, TOUGHLOVE hategroups might take part in a putsch to support legislation which mandates piss testing in schools. They may or may not know that DFAF and their close affiliates wrote the legislation, are promoting it and fully expect a return on their investment in the form of publicly funded purchase of their piss testing services as well as referals to treatment programs in which they have a vested interest.

Here's an excellent example of how that works. In Ohio in 2002, Calvina, Betty and their buddies at PDFA colluded w/ officials of the Governor's office of Ohio to influence the Ohio election. Their focus was on a ballot initiative that would have severely curtailed the State of Ohio's use of incarceration as a stick to enforce DFAF style drug treatment.

They got busted by Dan Forbes and the Institute for Policy Studies and the ad campaign never ran.

Here's the summary:
http://fornits.com/anonanon/Forbes/ohio/

Here's the indepth report:
http://fornits.com/anonanon/Forbes/ohio/ohio.pdf

Another example:

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v05/n285/a05.html?66937

Alaska Gov.  Frank Murkowski tried to recriminalize personal posession of MJ in Alaska.

So who is this guy? And why, after 30 years, would he want to overturn established AK law w/o any public backing? A search on "Murkowski GOP contributions" turns up...

"The task force included top administration officials, virtually all of whom had strong connections to the industry, including Cheney, the former chief executive officer of Halliburton, the oil services giant, and executive director Lundquist, who served as a top aide to Alaskan Sen. Frank Murkowski. Murkowski is a staunch advocate of gas and oil drilling in the Alaskan National Wildlife Reserve. "

http://www.publicintegrity.org/report.a ... 17&sid=200

Quid pro quo? Give me drilling rights and I'll give you drug laws?

Fortunately, and much to the surprise of professional drug policy reformers, the people of AK came out of the woodwork to oppose this new lunacy.

Every man has a property in his own person.
This nobody has any right to but himself.
The labor of his body and the work of his
 hands are properly his.

--John Locke

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Fortunately, and much to the surprise of professional drug policy reformers, the people of AK came out of the woodwork to oppose this new lunacy.

Hopefully this will spread to the mainland soon.