Author Topic: Another unlicensed hack in another hellhole.  (Read 6514 times)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Another unlicensed hack in another hellhole.
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:39:20 AM »
http://reinanlaw.com/2012/02/07/clients ... ng-doctor/

Clients Sue Unlicensed Therapist Claiming to be Doctor

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 in Blog by Reinan Law

Last week, the Law Offices of J.M. Reinan, P.C. filed suit against the Adolescent and Family Institute of Colorado (“AFIC”), its owner, Alex Panio, and its Medical Director, Dr. Edra Weiss, on behalf of Aimee and Christopher Donabedian.    

Our clients claim that AFIC and Alex Panio admitted Christopher Donabedian, then 16 years old, to AFIC’s inpatient facility, promising intensive psychiatric treatment.  Alex Panio didn’t tell the Donabedians that he was not a licensed psychologist or that his usual treatment plan included taking children off of their psychiatric medications.  The Donabedians at the time were under the false belief that Panio was a doctor because he and AFIC refer to him as such both on their internet website and in person.  The Donabedians further allege that Panio posed as a physician when discussing Christopher’s care and treatment with the Donabedian’s insurance company by doing such things as making diagnoses and telling the insurance company how he was going to change Christopher’s medication orders.  He referred to himself as a physician to the insurance company as well.

The Donabedians claim that Christopher was deprived of his necessary anti-depressant and anti-psychotic medications, which had been prescribed for him just before his admission to AFIC. They further claim that Panio went so far as to diagnose Christopher as a “sociopath,” which is no longer a recognized psychiatric diagnosis and which in no case can be applied to someone under the age of 18.  They also claim that AFIC staff told them that Christopher was “like Ted Bundy” and that staff forced Christopher to dream up and write down homicidal plans, which he did not otherwise have.

When the Donabedians attempted to remove Christopher from the mental health facility, they were thrown off of the AFIC property and ultimately had to call the police in order to secure Christopher’s discharge.  

The Donabedians have brought legal claims of deceptive trade practices; negligence; fraud; unlawful practice of medicine; breach of fiduciary duty; and civil conspiracy.

The Denver Post ran a story on the Donabedians’ case, which can be found via the following link:  http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_19895889

As a result of this article, several other families have come forward with stories AFIC and Panio’s abuse and deception very similar to our clients’.hysician to the insurance company as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Unlicensed therapist makes a quick diagnose
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »
We have learned that persons involved in the treatment facility mentioned below are supposed to have a past at Peninsula Village. We are investigating this matter.

Lawsuit targets adolescent center in Colorado that told teen he was sociopath "like Ted Bundy"
By Kirk Mitchell, The Denver Post, February 5, 2012

The day after 16-year-old Christopher Donabedian was admitted to a Wheat Ridge adolescent treatment center, an unlicensed psychotherapist took him off psychiatric medications, a new lawsuit claims.

Soon, a therapist at Adolescent and Family Institute of Colorado told Donabedian's mother, Aimee, that her son wasn't mentally ill; he was a sociopath "like Ted Bundy," the lawsuit claims. Counselors coaxed him to make up homicidal plans to kill his mother and twin sister, the lawsuit filed in Jefferson County District Court says.

To ensure that Donabedian would be confined long-term at the facility, which charged $595 a day, not including professional charges, staff members misused and misdirected his medical and psychiatric records releases, the lawsuit filed Tuesday by attorney Jerome Reinan says.

The lawsuit accuses the AFIC of violating Colorado's consumer protection act, false imprisonment and negligence.

Kate Fritz, attorney for AFIC, said allegations in the lawsuit reflect significant bias and fail to mention the competent care Christopher Donabedian received.

"AFIC has been providing high quality care for thirty years and the allegations contained in the complaint do not reflect the overwhelming sentiments of the parents or adolescents treated at the institute," Fritz wrote in a response.

The lawsuit says that Christopher Donabedian started experiencing symptoms of mental illness in 2008, and on March 5, 2010, he struck his mother with a knife. He was charged with a crime in El Paso County and later was released from detention to a hospital for treatment.

At Penrose-St. Francis Hospital, he was diagnosed with major depression with psychotic features and was prescribed Celexa and Geodon, Reinan's lawsuit says.

The day after he was admitted to AFIC, the home's president and founder, Alexander Panio, an unlicensed psychotherapist, "baselessly" changed Christopher Donabedian's diagnosis from major depression with psychotic features to malingering and mixed personality disorder, the suit says. Panio discontinued Christopher's medications and claimed to be a doctor when discussing the patient's care with insurers to receive payment for his care, the lawsuit says.

According to AFIC, Panio is a "teaching training consultant" and does not diagnose adolescents being treated at AFIC. Instead, a licensed nurse practitioner with prescriptive authority determined that the patient didn't meet criteria for receiving medications, and in addition, Christopher Donabedian refused medication because he did not feel it was useful.

AFIC employee Jeff Nelson later told Aimee Donabedian that her son was "just like Ted Bundy," would never love her and that "no amount of wishing, hoping or praying would change that," the suit says. His only chance at recovery was to keep him in a "state of high anxiety," to trigger a complete breakdown, the lawsuit says. If anyone showed him any support, even once, he would never get well.

"Mr. Donabedian was repeatedly told to make up, fabricate and concoct homicidal plans for his mother," even after he told staff he never planned to kill his mother, the lawsuit says.

The AFIC statement said that comments and statements in the lawsuit were not complete and show a bias.

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
Re: Unlicensed therapist makes a quick diagnose
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
Story was just posted a couple hours ago in this forum.  Two down.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Re: Another unlicensed hack in another hellhole.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »
Here's what AFIC supporters think of kids who die in programs:

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtop ... 7#p2343817

Re: Article Discussion: Lawsuit targets adolescent center in Col

Postby Dr. Zenster on Today, 3:23 pm #2343817

chevelleism wrote:. So, your little website http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org is cute and all, but pretty irrelevant if you ask me.

Marina - I cannot believe you find a list of dead children "cute and all, but pretty irrelevant". Is this what you learned at AFIC? No wonder you can't comprehend what I'm talking about.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 05:03:46 PM »
Quote from: "ZenAgent"
Here's what AFIC supporters think of kids who die in programs:

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtop ... 7#p2343817

Re: Article Discussion: Lawsuit targets adolescent center in Col

Postby Dr. Zenster on Today, 3:23 pm #2343817

chevelleism wrote:. So, your little website http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org is cute and all, but pretty irrelevant if you ask me.

Marina - I cannot believe you find a list of dead children "cute and all, but pretty irrelevant". Is this what you learned at AFIC? No wonder you can't comprehend what I'm talking about.

Offline Reddit TroubledTeens

• View Profile
    • http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31 ... etail.html

Lawsuit Alleges Abuse At Teen Treatment Center

Parents Accuse Facility Of Fraud, Negligence
Jaclyn Allen, 7NEWS Reporter

POSTED: 9:38 pm MDT May 13, 2012
UPDATED: 9:39 am MDT May 14, 2012

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. -- Four teenagers and their parents have filed suit against the Adolescent and Family Institute of Colorado, accusing the residential treatment center of abuse, negligence and fraud.

When her 16-year-old son had his first psychotic episode, a mother who did not want to be identified to protect her son’s identity said she turned to the Adolescent and Family Institute of Colorado in Wheat Ridge.

But a lawsuit alleges that instead of getting the professional treatment he needed, he was isolated, taken off his medications and given a sexual exam.

"We had no idea this was going on, and it's not right," said his mother.

The lawsuit claims her son was not the only one abused.

Three other parents had similar stories and accused the founder and president, Alexander Panio, Jr., of performing the duties of a physician, even though he has no medical degree.

"Mr. Panio is not a licensed mental health professional. He is not a psychologist. He is not a psychiatrist. However, he represented himself as such to our insurance company and to my husband and me," said the mother.

State records show Panio’s psychotherapy license lapsed in 1998 and the facility has faced a number of lawsuits in recent years.

7NEWS attempted to contact Panio and his attorney, but our calls were not returned.

Attempts to reach the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, the group that regulates the facility, were unsuccessful.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »
So has the state the program resides in jumped on the program for the unlicensed hack?

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 05:36:07 AM »
Quote from: "Enash"
Zen is a litigating, blood-sucking, ambulance-chasing fucKKKer! :suicide:  :sue:  :sue:  :sue:  :rocker:  :sue:  ::puke::  O0

So good to come back and see my reputation is still intact!  You left out "goat-fucKKKing", Enash.  

Yeah Che, the state came down on Panio, and last week the Denver police started investigating AFIC.

Excuse me, I saw an ambulance go by and the scent of fresh blood is making me litigious and thirsty.  I gotta grab my goat and I'm gone.