Author Topic: Earth Services / The House Next Door  (Read 15924 times)

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
Earth Services / The House Next Door
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:26:37 AM »
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/gu ... -terpening

More sex charges for former youth director

32-year-old Michael Terpening

Updated: Tuesday, 30 Aug 2011, 6:07 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 30 Aug 2011, 8:54 AM EDT

BELLEVUE, Mich. (WOOD) - A youth home director already facing 11 charges of molesting boys from the home is expected to face new charges after a fifth victim came forward on Monday, state police said.

The latest victim's allegations are similar to the others: That Michael Terpening sexually assaulted him in his position as executive director of Earth Services -- a camp near Bellevue, between Hastings and Battle Creek, meant to help troubled boys by allowing them to work on a farm, police said.

The state Department of Human Services licensed the youth home for 15 boys, ages 10 to 17. Many are troubled; some were ordered there by the courts, police said.

"I'd equate it to a predator operating in an environment in which he held all the cards and had a lot of control over the targets that he was after," State Police 1st Lt. Chuck Christensen told 24 Hour News 8 on Tuesday. "They were there to try and get on the right path, and he took advantage of that in his position."

The investigation began in May, after an alleged victim told a board member of Earth Services that Terpening had sexually assaulted him.

Earth Services, also known as The House Next Door, is a tax-exempt non-profit organization that works with "at-risk teens," according to IRS tax records. In 2009, it spent more than $142,000 in programing.

"Each teen is provided counseling, education and each teen is assigned a rescue animal, making it their responsibility to care for another life," the tax filing states.

The state police investigation uncovered a second alleged victim, leading to a total of nine charges, ranging from fondling to sexual penetration.

Two more boys later came forward, leading to charges No. 10 and 11. Terpening was arraigned on those charges on Monday and released on a $300,000 bond.

Then, on Monday, a fifth victim reached out to police, Christensen said.

"A lot of times, in cases like these, the victims might be apprehensive about coming forward," Christensen said. "But when it's aired and they see that it didn't just happen to them, they're a lot more forthcoming."

Police say Terpening got to know the victims on the farm, then molested them elsewhere. They say the assaults began several years ago.

One neighbor said he doesn't believe the allegations and has written a letter to court in support of Terpening.

Another neighbor says he's waiting to pass judgment.

"Until he's tried and convicted, I'm not going to convict him," Paul Langford said. "Like I say, if it's true, it's terrible. You're supposed to be helping these kids and you're taking advantage of them."

Police, in the meantime, say they're waiting for more possible victims.

"I would not be surprised if we did have more," Christensen said. "I would expect it."

State officials say they pulled the remaining six or seven boys from the home when they learned of the allegations. They are working to revoke the program's license.

Terpening was first arrested and arraigned last week on nine charges and posted a $250,000 bond.

Also, a related report states that there are now 6 victims and 12 sexual assault charges filed:  

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/arti ... ire-Report
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: "More sex charges for former youth dir."
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:30:27 AM »
Pics from the above article in the OP, "More sex charges for former youth dir.":

Michael Terpening (Aug. 24, 2011)

Michael Terpening ran Earth Services in Hastings (Aug. 30, 2011)

(c) Copyright 2000 - 2012 WOOD Television, Inc.[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "More sex charges for former youth dir."
    « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:33:34 AM »
    Comments left for the above article, "More sex charges for former youth dir." (30 Aug 2011, WOOD-TV8):

Eddie Bullard ·  Top Commenter · Ottawa Hills High School · August 30, 2011 at 6:16am
      Cut it off .
    Joe Koets · August 30, 2011 at 6:51am
      I wonder if they housed sheep too????
      Dirt Farmer · December 26, 2011 at 4:12pm
        You're an idiot.
      [/list]
      Mike Boerman · Langston, Michigan · August 30, 2011 at 7:27am
        This is all a hoax, why doesn't WOOD-TV8 report the fact that one of the "victims" (sic) admitted he made up the allegations, and wrote a letter to the judge who promptly threw it away? Michael T's gonna have a good case for a defamation of character/slander lawsuit on his hands against the people responsible for this witchunt once it's all over and the truth comes to light. Shame on the media for not investigating this suspicious angle! There are obviously TWO SIDES to every story, and the comments from WOOD's previous article even made it super easy, here's what one person said:

"One of the boys recanted his story, wrote a letter to the Judge stating that he and another boy concocted the entire story to get out of the home and go their own way. The Judge threw out his letter. The other boy is known to make false accusations, he has done it 5 other times (the same types of accusations) in his stays at various Foster care homes, this information is being ignored as well. The Judge has refused to let Mike have his own Attorney, making him get another one. There is something seriously FISHY going on behind the scenes in this case, with the Prosecution AND CPS..."
      Sam McQuern · Hastings High School · August 30, 2011 at 8:43am
        What is your source DJ?
      Jason Gleason · August 30, 2011 at 9:14am
        If charges have came up time after time there must be some thing here around the neighbor hood people have been say this for years. I feel sorry for all the kids that had to feel the pain of this.
      Tina George Sheely · August 30, 2011 at 10:41am
        I think that all these sick child molesting perverts should have their male members amputated and put behind bars for the rest of their lives and more so the ones that keep offending. Just keeping them away from schools and daycare is not going to keep a sick pervert who likes to molest little kids is not going to stop them. Then they allow these twisted people to be around little kids anyways if they happen to be in a relationship with someone who has kids. That is just wrong, what is going to stop them from molesting the stupid mother’s children. No these sick, twisted, child molesting, perverts need to have their male member amputated and put behind bars for the rest of their sick, twisted perverted lives. It is so wrong to allow them back out on the streets so they can offend again and again and again.....
      Stephanie Mickaus Hurst · Sr. SW Regional Advocate at Mothers Against Drunk Driving · August 30, 2011 at 12:33pm
        Stick him in prison! The boys in there know what to do with perverts. Loser.
      Angie Hinckley · August 30, 2011 at 3:26pm
        I went to school with Mike and I find this whole thing really hard to believe. Mike was the one in school that was always there for others I just dont believe it
      Dennis Lawrence ·  Top Commenter · Godwin Heights High School · August 30, 2011 at 3:41pm
        All 5 boys should file a federal lawsuit for monetary damages against Michigan DHS for placing them here in the first place.
      Red Thenews · Top Commenter · Grocery Cart Wrangler at Ralphs Market · August 30, 2011 at 4:15pm
        Very sad, his facebook page still has all his photos of his family set to public not private. I feel bad for his wife a kids after seeing them.
      Mandy Elmer · August 30, 2011 at 7:21pm
        DJ how dare you. You dont know jack!
      Alana Timmons Berthold · Bellevue High School · September 5, 2011 at 5:25am
        DJ is closer to the truth than you know, Mandy.
      Sam Gorton · Pennfield High School · September 27, 2011 at 3:21pm
        Sounds like a lynch mob on here. If all of you that are passing judgement on here, are proven wrong, you will be judged. I think D.J. has some very credible evidence, and the judge just wants to move this along and convict a possible innocent man.
        If you know how to pray, why don't you pray for the PA the jury and the judge, that God reveals the truth to them.
        That is my prayer.
        Dirt Farmer · December 26, 2011 at 4:11pm
          Judges do not convict, juries do.
        [/list]
        Melissa Yant · Works at B And S Auto · October 11, 2011 at 5:58am
          I think its sick and un called for. Helping those kids and then doing that. Sick sick. If its true throw him in prison and throw the key away. I went to purchase a horse there and he ended up being lame and mike tried screwing me out of horse and not give me anything. But at end I did get nice paint after talking with lawyers and the woman that worked at earth services. Thank you dani blue is great.

(c) Copyright 2000 - 2012 WOOD Television, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Former youth home director accused of sexually assaulting ki
        « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
        This saga actually hit the news 'bout 6 days prior to the article in the OP. At first it was 9 counts (~24 August), then it got upped to 11 (~30 August). And then... well, I guess you'll just have to read on!

The investigation started even earlier, in May or June. Because the Dept. of Human Services used to place kids in this facility, they investigated it in the wake of the first allegations.

Here's some of that earlier coverage:

WWMT - Newschannel 3
        Former youth home director accused of sexually assaulting kids

August 24, 2011 6:35 PM

Michael Aaron Terpening

BARRY COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A former youth home director in Barry County is accused of sexually assaulting children.

Yesterday 32-year-old Michael Terpening was charged with two counts of criminal sexual conduct in the third degree, three counts of aggravated indecent exposure, criminal sexual conduct-assault to commit sexual penetration and three counts of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree.

He ran a group home for teens called Earth Services on Jenkins Road near Bellevue.

Neighbors say it was a place for troubled teens to stay and some of them would work next door at Terpening's farm. One neighbor tells us there were about six teenage boys living at the home at any given time.

They all left about a month ago while Terpening was being investigated.

Prosecutors say Terpening also has kids of his own and foster children.

Investigators still aren't releasing who the alleged victim is.

Right now Terpening is being held on a $250,000 bond at the Barry County Jail.

Video: Former Youth Director Faces CSC Charges
          A former youth home director in Barry County is accused of sexually assaulting children.
        [/size]

Copyright © 2012 Freedom Communications

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Fmr youth home dir accused in sex case
        « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »
        This facility apparently began as an animal rescue organization, then expanded to include "troubled teens." From the below article:

Earth Services began in 1998 as Educated Animal Rescue (E.A.R.), and then "grew to become E.A.R.T.H., Educated Animal Rescue and Teen Haven," according to its website.

The non-profit organization's
        Facebook page says it helps "youth and animals find their perfect fit in society."

Earth Services says it is "dedicated to helping the youth who need a second change to succeed in their community. It also helps house animals that have been abused, neglected, or owner relinquished."[/list][/size]

WOOD-TV8
        Fmr youth home dir accused in sex case

Michael Terpening, 32, of Bellevue

Updated: Thursday, 25 Aug 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
        Published : Wednesday, 24 Aug 2011, 8:43 PM EDT

Michael Terpening (Aug. 24, 2011)

BELLEVUE, Mich. (WOOD) - The founder of a youth home and animal rescue organization in Barry County has been arraigned in a sex crime allegedly involving multiple teen victims.

Michael Aaron Terpening is no longer the director of Earth Services, 15485 Jenkins Road in Bellevue, state police said.

State police arrested the 32-year-old Bellevue resident on Wednesday. He was then charged in Barry County District Court on two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct; three counts of aggravated indecent exposure, one count of criminal sexual conduct - assault to commit sexual penetration; and three counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct. He posted a $250,000 bond late Wednesday night and released from custody.

"The charges resulted from an extensive investigation into Terpening and Earth Services," state police said in a statement.

Earth Services began in 1998 as Educated Animal Rescue (E.A.R.), and then "grew to become E.A.R.T.H., Educated Animal Rescue and Teen Haven," according to its website.

The non-profit organization's Facebook page says it helps "youth and animals find their perfect fit in society."

Earth Services says it is "dedicated to helping the youth who need a second change to succeed in their community. It also helps house animals that have been abused, neglected, or owner relinquished."

All content (c) Copyright 2000 - 2012 WOOD Television, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Comments: "Fmr youth home dir accused in sex case"
        « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »
        Comments left for the above article, "Fmr youth home dir accused in sex case" (24/25 Aug 2011, WOOD-TV8):

Renee Beaumont · Shelter Advocate at Women's Information Service Inc. · August 24, 2011 at 5:53pm
          So, did he have sex with the animals, or the teens?
          Angel Adams · Greenville High School · January 15, 2012 at 7:47pm
            both bt he is being charged for the teens
          [/list]
          Paul Selkirk · August 24, 2011 at 5:57pm
            Whats the deal...full moon or something, Ya got a Pastor, bus driver, animal rescuer and a baby killer all up on sex charge's in one day...Wow
          Ray Carigon · August 24, 2011 at 6:37pm
            just another front for a pervert to attempt to operate under cover; glad they got him; now hang him up by his testicles & let kids throw spitballs at him for a change...........
          Wendy Young-Woods · Top Commenter · August 24, 2011 at 7:09pm
            Remember... he's only being accused. That doesn't equal guilty! People are SO quick to judge without knowing ALL the facts first... the media sure doesn't help either! I remain free from judgement until I hear cold hard facts...
          Dennis Lawrence · Top Commenter · Godwin Heights High School · August 25, 2011 at 1:49am
            He also takes on foster care children. He takes on the more troubled youths in foster care that no one else wants. They help him run the farm. It was one of these older foster boys that mad this allegation. So I don't know how credible the witness would be. These kids know what happens when they cry with sexual allegations. He has the support of his family and church. This is a very unfortunate situation if this did not happen.
            Angel Adams · Greenville High School · January 15, 2012 at 7:52pm
              i dont know who u think u r but you dont know a darn thing bout this and the older boy that finally came out with the truth is a very credible witness u r a moron!
            [/list]
            Laura Reed VanOrsdal · August 25, 2011 at 3:58am
              Karma is a wicked woman.
            Brad Miller · Top Commenter · Works at Retired · August 25, 2011 at 5:12am
              Wendy.... unfortunately, now that they have published his name and photo, he will be guilty forever. Rather he is or not.
            Ken Bird · Wyoming, Michigan · August 25, 2011 at 6:01am
              I'm so sick of hearing about this kind of thing over and over again. I think if we had more drastic forms of punishment for these types of crimes it could help act as a deterrent for those tempted to do anything like this in the future.
              Angel Adams · Greenville High School · January 15, 2012 at 7:53pm
                darn right u r a good man with a a good head on your shoulders
              [/list]
              Fred Marks · Grand Rapids Community College · August 25, 2011 at 6:17am
                I agree with you Ken. We need a permanent solution for anyone that commits these type of crimes.
              Marcia Culhane · August 25, 2011 at 6:38am
                Oh so because these kids are troubled, we shouldn't believe them Dennis?
              Jennifer Beznoska McLeod · August 25, 2011 at 7:15am
                This man and his wife adopted my friend's kids after they fostered them for some time. How sad...take away kids from an "unfit mom" and give them to a child molester? way to go, State of Michigan!!
              Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · August 25, 2011 at 7:57am
                Before we all get on our high horse and string him up on the nearest tree, remember this; Not 2 weeks ago 3 boys were released from confinement because they were accused, tried AND convicted of killing a child.... Yet 10 years later it was proven they were totally innocent of this crime.
              Scotty David Burkman · Busser/Dishwasher at Olive Garden · August 25, 2011 at 8:59am
                The problem with our system and society these days is that people, the media, and our justice system make people out to look like they are guilty until proven innocent. When really, the written law says, INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, EVERYONE should be given a fair trial and EVERYONE should be given the benefit of the doubt until convicted in a court of law. For all you people out there that are passing judgement and pointing fingers when REALLY, you don't know of ANY evidence in this case, JUST WAIT until either you or yours are falsely accused. You will REALLY get a taste of how it feels then.
              Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · August 25, 2011 at 9:06am
                Exactly Scott - Too many people are making false claims, yet nothing is done to those. It used to be a Felony to make a false accusation. Now, it's rarely pursued if ever at all. Why? Because generally there is no money to be made from those who are making false accusations.

This particular case? There is money to be made BY the State... I've done some research into this. Each month each child brings in quite a bit of money. If they are removed from one home and put into another, their is no pro-rating the full amount is paid each time a 'shuffle' is done.
              Stacy Anderson Hislop · Inside Account Manager at BR Wholesale · August 25, 2011 at 11:35am
                I couldnt agree more with Scott. I know Mr. Terpening personally, even helped him set up his boys home. He is as honest, hard-working, good-hearted and innocent as the day is long. Under no circumstances is he guilty of these crimes. It saddens me to see someone work as hard as he has to "be the change" in the world only to be thrust into a situation such as this. I wonder how many of you with unpleasant things to say do as much for individuals in need as this young man has not only attempted but accomplished in their life time. Sadly, Mr. Terpening's exoneration from these horrific charges will NOT be front page news. Sometimes where there's smoke there isnt fire . . .just smoke and a lot of hot air coming from dim-witted, quick-to-judge individuals blowing it all around.
                Angel Adams · Greenville High School · January 15, 2012 at 7:58pm
                  do u know how many people have known other child molesters for years and would have never thought that they would do something that aweful but when they r convicted with pictures or witnesses or victims there cant b any more denying the truth.
                [/list]
                Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · August 25, 2011 at 11:59am
                  One of the boys recanted his story, wrote a letter to the Judge stating that he and another boy concocted the entire story to get out of the home and go their own way. The Judge threw out his letter. The other boy is known to make false accusations, he has done it 5 other times (the same types of accusations) in his stays at various Foster care homes, this information is being ignored as well. The Judge has refused to let Mike have his own Attorney, making him get another one. There is something seriously FISHY going on behind the scenes in this case, with the Prosecution AND CPS...
                Dennis Lawrence · Top Commenter · Godwin Heights High School · August 25, 2011 at 12:13pm
                  We have been investigating this case since May. The other boy recanted his story. He said that they had made this up. @ Scott maybe some day these people will know what people go through on false allegations. @ Sue the info you have is the same that we have gathered. Something is going on behind the scenes on this.
                Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · August 25, 2011 at 1:35pm
                  Dennis - Is there anyway to get say the News Team themselves to do an investigation? On the crooked politics that seems to be happening? This is just so scary!! How someone can be basically convicted of committing a crime before they ever get their day in Court, as is happening with this case!!

I read up on the policies of the CPS - It is perfectly LEGAL for them to make accusations without any evidence what so ever! I have 'cause to believe', those 3 little words, 'cause to believe' can turn your world into a nightmare beyond comprehension. That's all a case worker has to say...

http://www.redgage.com/c-leidif - This is an article with links etc that I have researched into the happenings of people falsely charged. This has turned into McCarthism at it's finest!![/list]
                Wendy Young-Woods · Top Commenter · August 25, 2011 at 7:33pm
                  James McNeil... there's a BIG difference in the stories too. One man was charged for the assault and death of his baby... this man is only being accused. Unless he's charged he's not guilty in my opinion. I am not saying just because someone is charged that they are guilty either, but in the other story the police have evidence of his lying... Anyone who can do sick and twisted things to children are disgusting and need serious help. So don't tell me I am a full of crap!

My Uncle and Aunt used to do foster care... they always had girls the same age as my cousins so they would have kids the same age around. Well the girls they got were just HORRIBLE. One of them was angry because she got caught being out past curfew and they grounded her and took away some of her favorite items. She in return poked holes with a needle ALL over their waterbed... and then she also called the police and said my Uncle touched her. The other foster girls came forward and said she was lying because she told them she didn't want to live there because they had rules, and that she was going to make up a story so she could go to a different home.

People who lie about being touched should get charged as well. This RUINS a persons' life... regardless if they are found innocent or not... there will always be people who think they are guilty after a story such as this! It's not fair to the person who is truly innocent.
                Ludmilla Lepeschkin · UVM,EMU,burlington college · August 30, 2011 at 6:21pm
                  I agree, charges are not convictions. I am reserving any judgement
                Angel Adams · Greenville High School · January 15, 2012 at 7:37pm
                  none of u morons know what u r talking about this man did this and these kids finally comin forward has nothing to do with the got mad at him and they were in foster care so they r just messed up that's bull stereotype and they didn't come forward before for fear people like u idiots makin these dumb comment would not believe them! All of u people blaming the kids instead of the pervert need to get bent!

All content (c) Copyright 2000 - 2012 WOOD Television, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                Barry County youth home director charged with sex crimes
                « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »
                Michigan Live LLC
                Barry County youth home director charged with sex crimes

Published: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 8:43 AM  ·   Updated: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 10:29 AM
                By  Rosemary Parker | Kalamazoo Gazette

Michael Terpening

HASTINGS — The director of a private youth home was charged Wednesday with various sexual crimes involving several of the troubled teens lodged at the residential facility.

Michael Terpening, 32, of Bellevue, was arraigned Wednesday in Barry County District Court on nine felony counts of criminal sexual conduct and aggravated indecent exposure on multiple teen victims, according to a news release from Michigan State Police.

He was the director of Earth Services Youth Home  at 15485 Jenkins Road, in southeast Barry County's Assyria Township.

Judge Michael Schippers set bond at $250,000, according to the release.

Terpening was not in jail Thursday morning, according to jail officials.

A Michigan State Police spokesperson who declined to be identified said the case unfolded after an older teen at the residential facility for teens in trouble complained of being victimized and other alleged victims were discovered.

The incidents took place over several months, he said, with all victims residents of the home.

According to its website, Earth Services:

"is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. The organization was originally founded in 1998 as Educated Animal Rescue, E.A.R. and then grew to become E.A.R.T.H., Educated Animal Rescue and Teen Haven. As of today, it has become Earth Services. Located in Lower Michigan, amongst the trees and rolling farmland of the rural Bellevue/Battle Creek area, our facility reaches out to our community and beyond, helping animals find their perfect place!"

© 2012 Michigan Live LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                Comments: "Barry County youth home director charged with..."
                « Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
                Comments left for the above article, "Barry County youth home director charged with sex crimes" (by Rosemary Parker; August 25, 2011; Michigan Live LLC/Kalamazoo Gazette), #s 1-20:

0000000 · August 25, 2011 at 9:25AM
                  Good God a'Friday! Is this rape and molsetation of kids and women going epidemic? Its happened/happening in the most trusted institutions the country - in the US Congress, schools, churches, the Boy Scouts, this residential facility for at risk kids who are more prisoners than residents, etc. And just look at the news today, so many perpetrated by individuals like this accused facility manager, preacher at Walker, and the (I use the word loosely) man who is alleged to have killed his three month old infant daughter by forcing oral sex on her. What is happening to the male race? Is this perverted behavior the result of acceptance of homosexual behavior, teaching alternative lifestyles in our schools - what? We need to find out and do something about it. If we don't we will end up with impaired adults, crippled by the mental damage inflicted on them as kids who have no power to stop it and reporting it and testifying in court are nightmares as well with victims having to prove the charges and their innocense as well. In no way is it acceptable to have any sexual contact with minors and rape at any age is against the law - and everyone doing it knows it. Its enough to cause a person to dispair.
                  ZLawMatters · August 25, 2011 at 10:17AM
                    Having worked with troubled kids, here are some numbers to think about...Kids in the, "system" 80% have been sexually abused.

By age 18, 1 in 4 girls, 1 in 5 boys.

By the way this is far from limited to men, women do this stuff in numbers people would not believe.
                  [/list]
                  axmenoquestions · August 25, 2011 at 9:56AM
                    I believe your right 00000 it is the homosexual agenda being pushed in the schools and diversity groups that is to blame for this activity.
                    zoo2 · August 25, 2011 at 10:21AM
                      No, it was prevalent long before those programs. It's just a lot easier for news to spread now, and more avenues for children to speak out.

Besides- the people who primarily push against homosexual agendas are among the highest offenders, i.e. churches. That's like the pot calling the kettle black.
                    Janine Moore · August 25, 2011 at 2:05PM
                      Homosexual agenda? Geez enlightened ones thanks for your insight. But wait! Maybe we should just blame the jews -- oh wait, that's been done. How about the black people -- dang that one's taken too. Maybe the victims -- are they asking for it? Here's a thought. Let's blame the perpetrators and stop trying to push our personal, propaganda using the misfortune of others.
                    [/list]
                    stmason · August 25, 2011 at 10:39AM
                      Thanks, Zoo2. Good post. Is it just me, but the gay population seems to be singled out as the root to all evil?? Nope, I'm not gay. I just have a more realistic view of things.
                    who · August 25, 2011 at 11:43AM
                      This E.A.R.T.H. place sounds pretty darn fishy in the first place. It's an animal rescue organization that houses 'troubled youth' - really?? What qualifies them for that? What regulations are set up by the state or local government to control what these people are doing? Don't drop the ball on this story - please investigate further.
                    Korrie · August 25, 2011 at 12:02PM
                      I'm kind of thunderstruck. I grew up two houses down from this man for many years of my life. I am 20 yrs old. Every free moment of my day as a child was spent going to Mike's house and feeding the goats or horses and learning from Mike different things about the animals.
                      I remember handing the man a blanket when his house burned down and we had to watch. I remember when he got married and when his first child was born. I also knew a lot of the teens that he nurtured.
                      Now I haven't seen Mike in about 3 1/2 years, because I moved out of state for college. But I never once in all those years saw anything that seemed perverted about Mike. He always treated me with respect and kindness.
                      This is the last thing I would have ever expected. And I apologize to any that may be hurt by this but, I have a hard time believing it to be true.
                      If I'm wrong I will apologize again and be extremely surprised.
                      Thanks everybody. -Korrie
                      slh · August 25, 2011 at 2:41PM
                        If you grew up down the street from Mr. Terpening then you know what a decent man he is and you also know that he will be exonerated of all these charges. What you might consider being thunderstruck by is the disrespect he is receiving on this page.
                      Ladyfarmer1280 · August 25, 2011 at 9:57PM
                        I have known Mike since he was 12 yrs old, I knew his uncle and his grandfather as well. I knew Mike as a kid who loved to show his horses and was always helping out his fellow 4-H members with thier horses too. Kind, respectful, and always winning awards for "citizenship". I remember when he started Educated Animal Rescue, and him going out in the middle of the night to pick up horses from abandon farms where they'd been left to fend for themselves or die. I remeber him sleeping in the barn with an animal in critical shape to be sure the animal got the best he could give of care. I refuse to believe that this man who could care for animals and children so well would do this,--and don't believe he did anything.
                        In this world we have "troubled teens" who will say anything in retaliation. Maybe they don't want to do chores--which was Mike's rule, maybe they don't want to be bothered with helping with an animal's feeding/cleaning after or care--but that was Mike's rule as well.
                        I am a parent and have worked with teens myself and know that the best we can do as parents/guardians/adults they shadow is to teach our youth responsibility, which they "bulk" at with great abandon, but they will be the one's who need these skills for their adult life, or they will wind up with the law in thier back pocket.
                        The "witch hunt" needs to stop right here. There are allegations--thats all they have on Mike--and the proof is their burden. So the process has begun. For those who want to crusify him before his conviction, I'll say this, your time will come also, ---what goes around/comes around, and there's a time to every purpose under Heaven. Mike has saved a whole lot of animals and a whole lot of kids, he with stood pretty deep investigations to recieve his license for the home---and when he adopted his 2 children last year, so either the system failed then (IF he turns up guilty)--or the kids who complained are lyers now. I perfer to believe my gut insticts, and say that the kids lyed for retaliation.
                      [/list]
                      tranesong2 · August 25, 2011 at 1:15PM
                        I'm guessing this guy never saw the movie Sleepers, with Kevin Bacon.
                      ploobius · August 25, 2011 at 1:57PM
                        Oh come on, really? Do you guys really believe that these rapists, child molesters, and other scum are a product of "homosexual agenda"? "diversity groups"? "the result of acceptance of homosexual behavior, teaching alternative lifestyles in our schools"? Or are you just using this as an opportunity to spew your OWN agenda, anti-homosexuality?

Sadly, the crimes perpetrated by Terpening, Butler (pastor from Walker), Deuman, etc have always been with us. What's changed/changing is us, society, finally. We are starting to hear to the victims instead of denying, ignoring or covering up the abuse. But obviously we've still got a long way to go.
                        slh · August 25, 2011 at 6:34PM
                          What crimes have been perpetrated by Terpening? Arent they accusations first and crimes after a trial and conviction. You are many miles ahead of yourself here.
                        [/list]
                        slh · August 25, 2011 at 2:55PM
                          I am saddened by the reporting in this article. It is written to sell newspapers and ad space and not to report facts. Will Mr. Terpening's exoneration be "front page news"? I wonder. The ending paragraph quoting the mission statement of the organization is tasteless and meant to mock. Those responsible should be terminated. Or better yet; maybe someone should falsely accuse them of some heinous and baseless crime so that they may experience this for themselves. I have known Mr. Terpening for some time. I have nothing but respect for his tireless work on "being the change" he wants to see in the world. Not many people dedicate their life to helping others as he has. I have no doubt further investigation will prove these accusations false but what of the damage to his life, family, reputation and heart in the meanwhile? At minimum I recommend that anyone hearing about or reading this information remember that in this country, we are innocent until proven guilty. Please, hold off judgement until the facts are made clear. We all owe everyone that much dont we? And wouldnt we want that for ourselves?
                        trojan02 · August 25, 2011 at 7:33PM
                          ok i knew this man as well, i haven't spoken to him in about a year and a half or so but i hope to god that this was not going on when i had last spoken to him. I pray to god that if this is true, that these victims find a way to heal after all of this has ended. Even though some might feel he is innocent until proven guilty, in which this country he is, he is already guilty for causing these boys to go through such torment with this investigation. This should have never been an issue in the first place.
                          JDP86 · August 26, 2011 at 12:13AM
                            Did it ever cross your mind that maybe just maybe he didnt cause this investigation. Maybe some cry of wolf on the boys part for attention? You dont know the half of the story, just the itsy bitsy paragraphs above, and so you think you have a right to judge. Shame on you! Did any of you Naive minded people think for 2 seconds about the twisted mind of the person making the accusations. Or maybe you guys were all there and know EXACTLY what happened? I mean if you all want to be so judgemental, I would at least hope you have the facts to back it up. So why yes he does look like hell, do you think maybe it is from not sleeping because of a single lie that some person made, and now his whole family is being affected? Did you ever think that he has a heart way bigger than any of you, and that maybe he is more upset because of what this is doing to his family? Ive known him for more than 1/2 my life, and Im telling you that he does have a heart way bigger than mine or yours. That he is a normal guy trying to help very very troubled youth. Kids will say things to get attention from anyone, and In most cases I would imagine a child wouldnt say this without it being true, but do you know the teen? Do you know if he has been to juvenile detention, or made this accusation multiple times before? Get real people and grow up, and keep your childish comments to yourselves. You werent there, and as adults your naive comments make you look stupid as hell!
                          [/list]
                          ploobius · August 26, 2011 at 9:18PM
                            Sorry slh, you are right. Even though I mentioned the 3 names, I was speaking of sexual abusers in general and should have made that clearer. For all involved, I hope the accusations against Mr Terpening are found to be baseless and if accusers were lying they should dealt with accordingly.

I was trying to address the first 2 comments by 0000000 and axmenoquestions, and their idiotic notions . (now I'm pissed all over again)
                          LudicrousSpeed · September 01, 2011 at 11:41AM
                            Have any of you naysayers bothered to look at the DHS investigation report that's been made public? Or are you calling it "evidence"?

Proof is in the pudding, and allegedly he left it on the pantry floor......
                          madasheck · September 17, 2011 at 3:33AM
                            This man was a sheep in wolves clothing. Yes, he was a prominent citizen, he done charitable things in the community, A man with a bigger heart , a so called normal man who was capable of commiting these sexual crimes. People do not know what happens behind close doors. There are many child molesters who have molested children who have been all those things. He abused his power with his position in Earth Services. He knows all about the victims because of the postion he held and will try and use it against these boys. One comment I read from his aunt this boys are lying because of there past. There not credible according to some but see a pedophile uses his power to over power there victims. Michaels power is his knowledge of these victims personal information. There is not just one teen victim there are several teen victims. Who did not reside at earth services at the same time. Also, just because a teen has been to juvenile detention doesnt mean that what Michael did to him makes it less true. Again, I repeat there are several teen victims not just one. There also was enough evidence for this man to stand trial. which wasn't based on one teen who had been to juvenile detention. I hope he goes to prison, has to register as a sex offender and never allowed around children anymore. My heart goes out to the victims because they already had obstacles to overcome when they went to earth services which was supposed to be a place to help the teens instead they were victimized by Michael Terpening and the supporter of Michael terpening who in the long run will find out not only is he a pedophile but a liar...
                          educated · November 03, 2011 at 6:53PM
                            For Terpening and his supporters, this case is to their benefit being in Barry County. Just before the Barry County prosecutor has to start the preparation for trial, he will let the defense attorney come up with the settlement offer which will be next to nothing. His biggest concern is the amount of work and effort that will need to be put forth in order to prosecute the case accordingly and God forbid it cut into his afternoons off! Victims rights? Whatever! And...for any supporters of a person who has committed a sexual offense...keep in mind...people are different behind closed doors. Do you really think the perp will share with you the sexual crimes he/she is committing or has committed? Come on! Get real! Perps manipulate their victims so what makes you think they haven't manipulated you? WAKE UP AMERICA! Teach your children to say, "NO" and tell them if someone asks them to keep a secret they are most likely breaking the law. For the victims...words couldn't begin to express the sympathy I have for you and your families.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                          Comments: "Barry County youth home director charged with..."
                          « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »
                          Comments left for the above article, "Barry County youth home director charged with sex crimes" (by Rosemary Parker; August 25, 2011; Michigan Live LLC/Kalamazoo Gazette), #s 21-22:

Katie Rucinski · January 07, 2012 at 5:29PM
                            Mike Terpening is innocent he has npt done any of these crimes. I have known him for 10a or 15 years and also volunteered at earth for 3 months maybe more. Mike and amanda are the most nicest people you will ever meet. They are being torn up by the court systems with people wrong fully accusing him. Keep you chin up mike and amanda things will get better. :)
                            LudicrousSpeed · January 09, 2012 at 11:40AM
                              Katie, do your future a favor and pull your head out of the sand.
                            [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            Former EARTH Services director arrested on nine felony count
                            « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
                            Michigan Live LLC
                            Former EARTH Services director arrested on nine felony counts

Published: Friday, August 26, 2011, 1:07 PM   ·  Updated: Monday, August 29, 2011, 12:28 PM
                            By Herb Woerpel

MICHAEL AARON TERPENING · Photo supplied

Police have arrested the former director of Educated Animal Rescue and Teen Haven (EARTH) Services organization on nine felony counts including criminal sexual conduct and aggravated indecent exposure.

Michael Aaron Terpening, of Bellevue, was arraigned in Barry County's 56-B District Court on charges of two counts of criminal sexual conduct third degree, three counts of aggravated indecent exposure, criminal sexual conduct – assault to commit sexual penetration and three counts of criminal sexual conduct fourth degree.

The charges resulted from an extensive investigation into the EARTH organization, police said. EARTH, based in Bellevue, was founded in 1998 and is funded through donations as well as state and federal grants. The investigation remains ongoing.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            Child Sexual Assault Charges Serve as Troubling Reminder...
                            « Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
                            Michael Terpening is even brought up as being in a roster of recently newsworthy local pedos in this "public service reminder," so to speak, aired by FOX 17 News:

FOX 17
                            Child Sexual Assault Charges Serve as Troubling Reminder for Parents

Lisa LaPlante · FOX 17 News Reporter
                            6:47 p.m. EDT, August 26, 2011

KENT COUNTY, Mich.— For parents, talking to kids about sexual abuse is uncomfortable, but necessary. Even experts say it's a difficult topic for parents to discuss with kids. With several high-profile allegations of child sexual abuse in the news, it's good to know there is help out there, if you are ready to start the conversation.

Four men in positions of authority over children were charged with child sexual abuse. None of the cases are related, but four cases making headlines in one week is certainly unusual. Rachael DeWitt with the Children's Advocacy Center in Ottawa County says news like this serves as a sad reminder that there are predators out there, often closer than parents know. "Make sure that you're not only talking about stranger danger," DeWitt told FOX 17 News. "We know that most often it's not a stranger in fact."

Recent cases include Pastor Tedd Butler of Ottawa County: allegations dating back to 1984. One of the alleged victims, now an adult, says he was assaulted over six years, some 50-to-60 times, staring at the age of three. In Gaines Township, Mark Carfine, a youth soccer coach from the Byron Center 'American Youth Soccer Organization,' is charged with two counts of sexual misconduct with a 12 year old girl; a family acquintance who was not on his soccer team. James Kohn, a school bus driver in Hastings, is accused of forcing a girl to have sex with him. And Michael Terpening, a youth haven director in Bellvue, is facing nine counts, including criminal sexual conduct involving minors. All four men face criminal charges at this time.

In each case, investigators let the media know of the charges. "A lot of times, if something did happen, the kids might be a little apprehensive to be forthcoming with the information," Lt. Chuck Christensen of the Michigan State Police told FOX 17 News. "But we just stress that they sit down and talk to them and see what they can find out, if anything."

Police say when charges like these are covered by the media, oftentimes, other victims come forward, even in unrelated cases. DeWitt says parents should stress to children: don't keep secrets, and don't be scared to tell adults if someone touches you in an area that would be covered by swimwear. "I think the most important thing you can do is talk to your child about body safety from a young age," DeWitt says. "Where it's ok and not ok to touch, and periodically check in with them, review body safety and ask them, has anybody touched you in any of these places where it's not okay?'

Copyright © 2012, WXMI-TV

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            Former Barry County youth home director arraigned on two...
                            « Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
                            Now we come to the point where two additional charges of criminal sexual conduct are added to the already nine... More victims have come forward or were "discovered."

Michigan Live LLC
                            Former Barry County youth home director arraigned on two additional charges of criminal sexual conduct after more victims discovered, police say

Published: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 9:54 AM   ·  Updated: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 2:45 PM
                            By Rosemary Parker | Kalamazoo Gazette

Michael Terpening

HASTINGS — The former director of a Barry County youth home is now facing two additional charges of criminal sexual conduct and a judge has increased his bond.

Michael Terpening, 32, of Bellevue, now faces 11 counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Terpening was arraigned on the new charges — two counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct — Monday in Barry District Court after police discovered two additional victims, according to a news release from Michigan State Police.

Circuit Judge Amy McDowell increased Terpening's bond to $300,000, the release said.

Terpening is scheduled to be back in court Sept. 12 for for a hearing on evidence against him in the case.

Terpening was arraigned in Barry County District Court last week on nine counts of criminal sexual conduct, all involving former residents of Earth Services Youth Home, the facility under his direction.

Terpening was charged with two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct, five counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, three counts of aggravated indecent exposure and one count of assault to commit sexual penetration.

Christina Fecher, communications representative for the Michigan Department of Human Services, said the Department's Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing is in the process of revoking the license for the facility, also known as the House Next Door.

The facility was licensed for boys only, ages 10 years – 17 years, many of the whom were wards of the court under DHS supervision, she said.

All children were removed from this facility once the allegations came under investigation, she said.

Terpening was the licensee designee of the corporation, Earth Services Inc., for this facility, which was originally issued a license in February 2009 for a capacity of 15 children.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            Comments: "Former Barry County youth home director arraigned
                            « Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:49:17 PM »
                            Comments left for the above article, "Former Barry County youth home director arraigned on two additional charges of criminal sexual conduct after more victims discovered, police say" (by Rosemary Parker; August 30, 2011; Kalamazoo Gazette / Michigan Live LLC):

Litterateur · August 30, 2011 at 11:25AM
                              Strictly speaking, this facility is in Barry County -- by about 1/2 mile. Describing it as a "Barry County youth home" isn't all that accurate.

Its mailing address is Bellevue, in Eaton County.

It's no more than 10 miles from downtown Battle Creek, even less from the city limits. If you asked neighbors across the street where they live, they'd probably say "just outside of Battle Creek."

Odds are the victims are Battle Creek residents, too. The city's population, after all, is just a shade less than Barry County in its entirety.

The only connection with the county that really matters is the courts with jurisdiction happen to be in Hastings, some 20 miles away.
                              Rosemary Parker | Kalamazoo Gazette · August 31, 2011 at 5:51AM
                                How would you identify it in the headline if not by its actual location?
                              [/list]
                              F. Nordic Borbswell · August 30, 2011 at 11:58AM
                                In by an inch, in by a mile. But hey, clearly in matters of sexual penetration of children it's important to you to quibble over geography.
                                Litterateur · August 30, 2011 at 1:26PM
                                  Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about. I quibbled about the accuracy of the headline, that's all.

Put your keen and penetrating mind to the task of re-reading my first post and point out where I said anything about the actual allegations.
                                [/list]
                                dicenslice · August 30, 2011 at 12:33PM
                                  now we the taxpayers are going to have to pay for this idiot to be in jail, what a sicko, gov snyder please bring the death penalty to michigan !!
                                LudicrousSpeed · August 30, 2011 at 2:33PM
                                  Wait, why has no one proclaimed his innocence yet?!? I mean, c'mon, OBVIOUSLY all of the so-called "victims" are going to benefit monetarily by his conviction..... oh, wait.

It's about time he got caught. He's been a slippery "used car salesman" for far too long. This isn't the first time he's been accused of inappropriate behavior, but it better be the last!
                                LudicrousSpeed · September 01, 2011 at 9:44AM
                                  Judge McDowell recently had an immediate family member of Mr. Terpening as a client..... does that present a conflict of interest?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                Former EARTH Services director charged with 11 criminal...
                                « Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
                                Another article posted on Michigan Live re. the two additional charges:

Michigan Live LLC
                                Former EARTH Services director charged with 11 criminal sexual conduct charges, police believe more charges may be pending

Published: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 12:50 PM  ·   Updated: Thursday, September 01, 2011, 11:17 AM
                                By Herb Woerpel

MICHAEL AARON TERPENING · Photo supplied

Michael Terpening, of Bellevue, was arraigned in Barry District Court Monday, Aug. 29 on two additional 4th degree criminal sexual conduct charges.

The two charges are in addition to nine other counts he was previously charged with, upping the total to 11 charges.

Troopers from the Michigan State Police Department in Hastings believe more charges may be coming as they investigate tips regarding additional victims.

Judge Amy McDowell increased Terpening's bond to $300,000. He is due again in court 9 a.m. Monday, Sept. 12th.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                Comments: "Former EARTH Services director charged with 11...
                                « Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »
                                Comments left for the above article, "Former EARTH Services director charged with 11 criminal sexual conduct charges, police believe more charges may be pending"  (by Herb Woerpel; August 30, 2011/September 01, 2011; Michigan Live LLC):

LudicrousSpeed · September 01, 2011 at 9:17AM
                                  I wonder if Judge Amy McDowell is aware that she very recently had his sister as a client through her law firm.
                                  LudicrousSpeed · September 01, 2011 at 9:19AM
                                    Wouldn't that be a very serious conflict of interest?!?
                                  [/list]