Author Topic: REFUGE OF GRACE ACADEMY FOR GIRLS,STOCKTON MO  (Read 29951 times)

Offline FRENCHY1965

• View Profile
REFUGE OF GRACE ACADEMY FOR GIRLS,STOCKTON MO
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
I am considering sending my daughter to the refuge.I would like to have some feedback from anyone that either has been there or parents that have children there or that were there because I want to make the right decision for my daughter.
Thank you so much in advance for your comments.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline kirstin

• View Profile
Re: REFUGE OF GRACE ACADEMY FOR GIRLS,STOCKTON MO
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:47:23 PM »
Quote from: "FRENCHY1965"
I am considering sending my daughter to the refuge.I would like to have some feedback from anyone that either has been there or parents that have children there or that were there because I want to make the right decision for my daughter.
Thank you so much in advance for your comments.

You are not a parent, so stop while you're ahead. A vague and short topic was were you went wrong!

Offline FRENCHY1965

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
Look,I didn't ask for this kind of comment.I AM a parent and I am in touch with Debbie,which by the way is out of town until next week and her daughter has forwarded her a message for me today as a matter of fact so please refrain from being so unpleasant by answering something that I am not interested in.Thank you.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
It is the female version of Agabe Boarding School run by some rather extreme christian people.

Getting the socalled education accredited back home may be a problem. They state that they are not accredited in their forms. Any work conducted at this school would include the risk that it would be done for nothing and the time would be wasted.

In general I find that it is a problem if my child is not allowed to keep photos of her own parents without having it going through some kind of photoshop process. They have a very special standard for family photos.

Finally the male version was founded up in Othello, Washington but was forced to relocate to Stockton. It is stated that this movement was "forced". However no explanation is given about what forced them to move.

Offline kirstin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
Look,I didn't ask for this kind of comment.I AM a parent and I am in touch with Debbie,which by the way is out of town until next week and her daughter has forwarded her a message for me today as a matter of fact so please refrain from being so unpleasant by answering something that I am not interested in.Thank you.

I think you're a lying sack of crap.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:33:39 PM »
Here are some comments left on one of those "review" sites:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

3 stars /5 (2 ratings)
Refuge of Grace Academy
(417) 276-2555
10866 E Highway 32, Stockton, MO 65785
Cross Streets: Between 1180 Rd and E 1350 Rd

5/5 by helpful · 01/10/2010
    Thank God for people like you. I am glad you have a burden for young girls. I hope they will all come out of your program to be godly ladies.
1/5 by former student · 03/15/2010
    i am a former student of this so called boarding school which is really a cult. we were forced to do follow rules and regulations so strict and ridiculous, many former students have nightmares about this place. i do not recomend this school at all. not only are you forbbiden to speak with your parents for weeks at a time, there is punishment for not conforming to their religion and beliefs. the owners debbie martin and bud martin, will brainwasher your child and leave her worse off than when she started, please pray for the girls that remain in that hell hole,

Offline FRENCHY1965

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »
Thanks both Oscar and Ursus for your answers,I had found the ones from Ursus from local-yahoo also,I just hoped that some parents or previous students would give me info on their experiences,good or bad as it is a life changing decision that I am about to make for my 16 y/o. Again,thanks.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
If you read the following document carefully, it almost sounds as if they can keep the kids' transcripts "hostage" as yet another form of behavior modification ... of the parents as well! Geeeezz.

It also confirms Oscar's earlier observation that they are not accredited.

Refuge of Grace Academy
ACADEMIC INFORMATION
Academic-Information-1.doc
Revised 10/31/2008

TRANSFER OF CREDITS
When a student is enrolled at Refuge of Grace Academy, Refuge of Grace will contact her former school with a written request for an official transcript. If we do not receive an official transcript from the school, we will contact you and you will be responsible for getting an official transcript sent to us by mail. Upon receipt of the student’s official transcript, the official transcript will be reviewed by the school administration.

ACCREDITATION
Refuge of Grace Academy is not regionally accredited. Refuge of Grace Academy is a ministry with sincerely held religious convictions against government control and oversight over the academic aspects of our institution. While the State of Missouri does not require Refuge of Grace Academy to obtain any state or regional accreditation in order to operate or grant diplomas, individual public school districts, colleges, and universities establish their own admissions policies. What this means is that, although state law does not require that a private Christian school student or graduate come from an accredited Christian school in order to be eligible for admission into a public school, college, or university, those individual schools do have the authority to impose such a requirement. While most of the schools gladly accept students from unaccredited Christian schools, some do not, requiring the student to undergo additional testing or retake core subject courses. Because we have no control over the policies adopted by public high schools, colleges, and universities, we cannot make any guarantee for graduates of Refuge of Grace Academy with regard to admission into college or transfer of our credits back into the public school system. Parents are encouraged to personally check with their local school districts or colleges in which their children are interested to find out what their particular policies are regarding admissions and transferring credits.

If the student receives a diploma from Refuge of Grace Academy and all of the financial responsibilities have been paid in full, the school will issue a completed official transcript to any institute for further education (i.e., universities, colleges, technical or trade schools, military, etc.) upon request from the student or the receiving institution. The first two official transcripts will be issued free of charge. After the first two, there is a $10.00 fee which will need to be paid before the official transcript is issued.

REMEMBER[/list]
      1. Any student removed prior to completing the withdrawal procedure will receive a grade of "incomplete" in all subjects.
      2. Procedure for returning home is initiated when these following occur:
        A. The student feels she is ready to return home.
        B. Both parents feel the student is ready to return home and the parents are ready for the student to return home.
        C. The Refuge of Grace Academy feels the student is ready to return home.
      3. All parents must agree to leave their daughters enrolled at Refuge of Grace until all three of the above occur.
      4. Students 16 years of age or older may be required to remain at Refuge of Grace until graduation from high school. This will be decided prior to enrollment.

REQUIRED CREDITS FOR DIPLOMA
      HONORS = 30 Credits 3.0 GPA
      COLLEGE PREPARATORY = 28 Credits
      GENERAL = 25 Credits
    Please Note: There is no leaving during a semester. Graduates can not come back for graduation, unless authorized by the administration.

DIAGNOSTIC TESTING
    When a student enters the Learning Center, she will be given diagnostic tests in Math, English, Social Studies, and Science. These tests will determine where the student is placed in each academic subject. Usually a student will have "learning gaps" that need to be filled. We will fill these "gaps" and then the student can continue at her grade level.

CURRICULUM
    Refuge of Grace Academy utilizes the School of Tomorrow and Landmark Curriculum. We are a Christian based, "character-building" school, and this is reflected in our curriculum.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:07:56 PM »
    A whole bunch of documents that you would be needing to sign:  
    http://www.refugeofgraceacademy.org/res ... sAug09.doc

They claim that they are not accredited for religious reasons:

• Second Party understands that the School is not regionally accredited in order to minimize government control and oversight consistent with the religious mission of the School.
    • Second Party understands that the School makes no warranty or guarantee, express or implied, that any educational institution will accept or recognize any credit for coursework or degree conferred by the School.

Offline brokenchild

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
    Please for the sake of your daughter, do not send her to this so called reform school. I am a former student, and in no would want to misrepresent this, or any other place that I have attended. When I first arrived at the school, I'll admit, I wasnt a perfect child, however, after leaving the strict guidance of this place, I was ten times worse. (If you cage a mildly assertive dog, and release it years later I promise you it will turn into an aggressive breed) I was a free spirited, 15 year old girl, tough, yet big hearted. I have never been known to just cry for any reason, but let me tell you, after just a few mintues of attending the school, I bitterly wept for the first 6 months. Not only did i feel abandoned, I felt unloved. After receving my first phone call after 30days, I did nothing but sob uncontrollably to return to that place I called home, and after being denied such, I was chastised verbally by Miss Debbie for even asking to do so as soon as the monitored call ended. I could go on and on about specifics of this place, however seeing that I am replying to your post some months later, I fear I may be too late. My post icon is a heart, because I harbor no hate towards these people, however each and everytime I hear of another parent considering this place, it breaks my heart because i feel like i should have done more to prevent this. Bro. Bud and Miss Debbie, supposedly have a burden for rebellious girls, well i too have a burden, and its the burden of getting the word out to parents who just dont know what to do. Seperation is not the answer, and again I beg of you, please do not scar your child for life by sending them away. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, Im more than willing to respond, as is my mother, who now regrets the decision that utimately cost her 19 thousand dollars, and her eldest daughter.
    -concerned former student

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 02:00:40 PM »
    Quote from: "brokenchild"
    Please for the sake of your daughter, do not send her to this so called reform school. I am a former student, and in no would want to misrepresent this, or any other place that I have attended. When I first arrived at the school, I'll admit, I wasnt a perfect child, however, after leaving the strict guidance of this place, I was ten times worse. (If you cage a mildly assertive dog, and release it years later I promise you it will turn into an aggressive breed) I was a free spirited, 15 year old girl, tough, yet big hearted. I have never been known to just cry for any reason, but let me tell you, after just a few mintues of attending the school, I bitterly wept for the first 6 months. Not only did i feel abandoned, I felt unloved. After receving my first phone call after 30days, I did nothing but sob uncontrollably to return to that place I called home, and after being denied such, I was chastised verbally by Miss Debbie for even asking to do so as soon as the monitored call ended. I could go on and on about specifics of this place, however seeing that I am replying to your post some months later, I fear I may be too late. My post icon is a heart, because I harbor no hate towards these people, however each and everytime I hear of another parent considering this place, it breaks my heart because i feel like i should have done more to prevent this. Bro. Bud and Miss Debbie, supposedly have a burden for rebellious girls, well i too have a burden, and its the burden of getting the word out to parents who just dont know what to do. Seperation is not the answer, and again I beg of you, please do not scar your child for life by sending them away. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, Im more than willing to respond, as is my mother, who now regrets the decision that utimately cost her 19 thousand dollars, and her eldest daughter.
    -concerned former student

Thank you....I hope in time you will heal.
    Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Dr. Acula

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 04:25:43 PM »
    :timeout:
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:26:39 AM by Dr. Acula »

Offline veejay

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
    I would not send your daughter there.  Although Bud and Debbie Martin will probably deny this.  They had a school in Gaylord, Michigan and it was closed down by the Child Protective Services.  I'm sure you can find this info if you contact CPS of Michigan.  I knew of at least 3 girls that were removed and returned to their homes and then the facility was closed.  The CPS investigator believed that there was some abuse but not enough to press charges.  They were ordered to cease and desist.  That's when they moved out of state. The church they are affiliated with now needs to do background checks for  every state.  So sorry to have to give out this kind of info.  But if it saves one child from abuse it's worth it.

Offline buzzchipyear

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
    I realize some of these posts are old and now outdated, so in the intrests of fairness, I feel I should clarify
    Some of the misinformation here.  First of all,  Refuge of Grace Acedemy is now accredted.  Parents just need
    To fill out the dual enrollment paperwork when the child starts there.  I know a lot of girls that have been helped by this school.
    It is no picnic, and some of the hard cases have trouble because they are not used to living under rules.
    They do provide a lot of structure that teens desperately need and their costs are reasonablle when compared to other boarding
    Schools.  BTW a lot of Christian schools have been forced to move to different states because the lawmakers make it harder for them to exist in some states.  There are virtually no Christian boarding schools on the West Coast thanks to California's compulsary attendance law.  There is only one that I know of in Michigan, but it costs 60000 per year.  
    Anyway, I know a lot of parents that stand behind ROG as a good solid, reasonable cost program.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 06:06:28 PM »
    Quote from: "buzzchipyear"
    I realize some of these posts are old and now outdated, so in the intrests of fairness, I feel I should clarify
    Some of the misinformation here.  First of all,  Refuge of Grace Acedemy is now accredted.  Parents just need
    To fill out the dual enrollment paperwork when the child starts there.  I know a lot of girls that have been helped by this school.
    It is no picnic, and some of the hard cases have trouble because they are not used to living under rules.
    They do provide a lot of structure that teens desperately need and their costs are reasonablle when compared to other boarding
    Schools.  BTW a lot of Christian schools have been forced to move to different states because the lawmakers make it harder for them to exist in some states.  There are virtually no Christian boarding schools on the West Coast thanks to California's compulsary attendance law.  There is only one that I know of in Michigan, but it costs 60000 per year.  
    Anyway, I know a lot of parents that stand behind ROG as a good solid, reasonable cost program.
    Well, thank you for your input. What, in your opinion, qualifies someone as being one of those "hard cases [who] have trouble because they are not used to living under rules?" Which "rules" do the girls seem to have the most difficulty with?