Author Topic: New Zealand offspring closed  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
New Zealand offspring closed
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:59:59 PM »
Anyone hear about the CEDU New Zealnad off shoot of CEDU, promoted by Brandi Elliot, late of CEDU Middle School and Jim Powell, another CEDU-ite opened and closed in record time...didnt even last a year!  Gudrun Stewart, also late of CEDU Middle School went there to work late last year, perhaps it was a jinx?  Too bad former CEDU's!!! better luck in still another country!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 07:31:04 PM »
Was this school Campbell park for boys or another?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:26:01 PM »
It may well have been Campbell...how many school for boys run by CEDULEES can there be in New Zealand.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 10:26:34 PM »
Do you know anything about what prompted the closure? i cant find anything in the major NZ papers.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »
I am sure they could just not find enough parents to dube into sending their kids to N.Z. and typical Cedulisoous management.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cedu school in New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 09:10:15 PM »
Hello, I am not certain it was affliated with CEDU, but a Gudrun Stuart worked there. My son was there for a month. It was terrible and was not managed properly. I have been reading some of the posts here and it sounds similiar to what my son experienced. There was a fight with the staff and the students had to leave. The school paid for our tickets to bring our son and now they are saying that they will sue us for the money back -one year later.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:11:55 PM »
curiosabout cedu

Are you American?

I find it embarrasing that some CEDU dipshits go abroad and further tarnish the U.S. with shennanigans like this.

I'm very interested in hearing more about how you discovered Campbell park and how it played out.

Thanks,

Dishdutyfugitive

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Campbell Park
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 01:01:52 AM »
Yes, our family is American. We were very interested in the opportunity as they portrayed it on their web site. The web site is of course gone, but I kept all my copies of how they described their mission. My son, 16, had just gone to a great wilderness program called Monarch in Colorado. It was excellent and we were able to really connect as a family. We thought that by him attending this great outdoor school in New Zealand, that it would be the perfect bridge before coming back home. We all travelled with him to drop him off for the planned 7 month stay. When we got there they told us that we would not be able to stay on the campus as promised beforehand- a huge estate and 1200 acres of farm land, organic farm, grapes, etc/ It sounded beautiful -and it was -but the people that ran it were strange. Very cold people. Gudrun Stuart was one of them. We were able to spend one night -a very short stay having to leave very early the next day. We had a tour and never saw any students. It was all very strange. We should have left then and there, but we kept thinking maybe it was us. As for Gudrun, I later learned that she had worked at CEDU in California. The entire experience for my son (one month) was a complete let down. He felt that he was in a detention center -the treatment was nothing as they described -and what we had described to him- except they had a great cook. We feel terrible about the whole experience. Eventually, the stress got to the boys and one of the boys- a relative of the owner attacked one of the workers and they all had to leave. They could not control the boys at all. It must have been too much of a dictatorship and the boys felt trapped. I think that the program had a great concept, but the advice from the ex employees of CEDU was terrible and this type of treatment towards people does not work. Anyway, the school needed students so they paid our airline tickets there and now, almost a year later they want the money back. We felt that we should have gotten our tuition back for the month he was there and so we made the decision that this was a fair exchange.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »
Wow. That is amazing that they told you "Hellow and goodbye" all in 1 breath. That's a sure sign of shennanigans and ballyhoo. I'm glad to hear it only lasted 1 month. I'm sure that all the staff from there are now all working at some pyramid scheme type operation. 'Pigs in Zen'.

You're absolutely correct in feeling you should have get your tuition fees and all associated costs reimbursed to you however 'caveat emptor'.

The icing on the cake is the fact that they want their plane ticket money back!  Not a chance. You tell them to call me if they want to discuss it further.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 11:58:18 AM »
My son, 16, had just gone to a great wilderness program called Monarch in Colorado.

FYI to everyone. This is not Monarch the CEDU clone. That is in montana.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cedu in New Zealand
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 01:40:29 PM »
It was such a shame that they tried to start this school in such a beautiful country. I really hate to have to bring up issues about this school with my son, as I feel terrible about having sent him there. If you could have met the their representative and seen their mission statement, anyone would have thought it was an experience of a life-time. The bits and pieces I get out of my son are that he lost most of his rights, it was not organized, or managed properly, all calls home were supervised, etc. There were about 6 boys there at a time and evidently no one was there for long. The owner was here in Los Angeles and he actually came to our house and put a demand note under our door saying that he was going to pursue legal action if we did not pay for the airline tickets totalling 10,000 dollars. He said that he can be reached on his New Zealand number and his New Zealand email by November 30th, or he will seek legal action. We thought since the school closed down after the brawl (which was not reported to local authorities), that we lost on our tuition and expenses -(about 7,000 dollars for our trip and one month tuition), that we should have called it even- but the fact that we were told lies about how the school was truly operated should be enough to counter sue them -has anyone heard of anything like this? Do we have a leg to stand on? It is an overseas organization. I really feel that it is wrong for them to even ask for the ticket money back after what we went through. We never even got a letter saying the school had closed, nor a letter of the incident of what had actually happened. Our son said the cousin of the owner attacked a worker and a fight began. I would love to get advise on how to get these creeps -money making scammers out of our lives. Thanks for any help.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Campbell Park
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:00:05 PM »
Quote from: ""curiousabout cedu""
As for Gudrun, I later learned that she had worked at CEDU in California. .

WOW - I was quite fond of Gudrun when I was at cedu in 89. She started off in Vision with me. After 6 months she became a parent counselor.

She would go to Holland/Germany and visit her relative at least once a year and always send me a postcard.

She would sit with me at my table restrictions.

I am not a fan of Almost any of the counselors that atteneded cedu and I have been very vocal about what pieces of shit they are. It is particularly displeasing to hear Gudrun is still affiliated with these cult-brainwashing programs.

Gudrun has got to be in her 60's at this point?

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 04:12:25 PM »
curious

Do not pay them for the airline tickets. The worst thing they could do is file a civil suit in New Zealand. Should they file one in NZ and it goes through the worst case scenario for you is that you would never be able to travel to NZ. They can't touch you in the U.S. (You said the school is registered in NZ not in the US).

Document everything and write up a summary of the events you described. I may be able to put you in touch with a lawyer that would be able to do a pro-bono intial review.

The owner sounds like a shady character who has a prolific record of selling swamp land to anyone he can. He also probably lost his ass on the school (since it closed) and is down to his last nickle so he's going to try to bully you and scare you to get money out of you. If he tries to contact you again tell him to speak with your attorney.  Feel free to email me.

Dishduty
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:15:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Number 94 in the Therepeutic Boarding School category
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Campbell Park
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 11:55:42 PM »
I was very interested in seeing that Wikepedia had a comment about Campbell Park School in New Zealand. The closure date was actually March 2007 not September 2007. The school only lasted six months and according to my son there was another physical encounter with a staff member before my son got there. Their web site is long gone, but someone previously had written about Nathan Tompkins, the owner of the school and still owner of the property on this forum (check out "Nathan Tompkins" under search). If you click www.campbellpark.org it shows what they are trying to do with the property now. I would love to get the information on the attorney that would give us advice regarding this issue of them trying to collect for the airline fees and the fact that they are out of the country. The person who suggested this is dishdutyfugitive. I have no idea how to email you..I am new to this forum. Thanks.