Author Topic: Q?: New Horizons/Jacqueline Danforth/RMA  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Q?: New Horizons/Jacqueline Danforth/RMA
« on: February 03, 2007, 10:51:23 AM »
I have a question re. New Horizons (Maine, girls only, ostensibly a healing, nurturing environment in a wilderness setting) and its founder, Jacqueline Danforth, who was sent to rocky Mountain Academy by her mother (Barbara Walters) when she was younger, and who now touts this earlier experience as saving her life.  Could anyone comment on this?

I personally am pretty anti-program, having gone 3 years and a summer session, preceded by a short stint in Juvenile Detention, plus lock-up in a mental institution.  However, I recently learned that a friend of a very close friend sent her daughter to New Horizons and I was hard pressed to respond, as to be fair, I did not know anything about the place...

I guess my question is two-fold:  1.)  does anyone know anything about New Horizons and can they comment?, and  2.)  does anyone remember Jacqueline Danforth (different last name) at RMA, and how is it possible she could have a "good experience" there?

Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:27:07 PM »
One thing I've always wondered about Jackie's wilderness program is whether or not they pull a Sagewalk, and recommend some girls to TBS facilities after they are done with the 8-9 week program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »
what is a "Sagewalk?"

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:09:28 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
what is a "Sagewalk?"

It was the wilderness program depicted in the American version of the series "Brat Camp".

The stay was short term, but a lot of times, the "therapists" and "counselors" would recommend to the parents that the kids be sent off to a TBS after completion.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 11:38:48 AM »
There was a tremendous amount of dirt on Caroline Wolf in some of the above noted links posted by Deborah.
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... th&start=0

I was trolling through ST's archives searching for something else, and came up with the first following quote from a Feb 1992 issue of 'Seen 'N' Heard'.  The second quote was taken from somewhere in the middle of the Caroline thread noted above, but its original source is included in the quote.

http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives/1992/2/seen03.html

RMA Counselor, Vicki Jones Returns After One Year Sabbatical
Vicki Jones, a counselor at Rocky Mountain Academy, has returned to the Academy after a one year sabbatical touring Asia and New Zealand with her husband Chuck. Randy Eide and Caroline Wolf took a six-week traveling sabbatical touring the U.S. during September and October. Changes that have occurred at RMA consist of combining the Voyager and Discovery families, the first two families, into the one Voyager family with Brett Carey as family head, Caroline Wolf taking over as New Horizons family head, and Mary Weber-Quinn as the academic director.
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives//2001/4/seen03.html

NEW HORIZONS WILDERNESS PROGRAM
(March 30, 2001) Caroline Wolf announced the grand opening of New Horizons, an all-female wilderness program based in Orrington, Maine, 207-992-2424, [email protected]. This five to eight week program will open in June of this year. Wolf, who has worked with the CEDU Schools and Second Nature, is working with Jacqueline Danforth, who was associated with Rocky Mountain Academy (A CEDU School). Both were graduates of Emotional Growth schools. They assert this ?is the first East Coast all female program of its kind to be located in the healing, rural landscape of Northern Maine. It will be located in Maine at the ?Gateway to the North Maine Woods.? Further developments will be announced in Woodbury Reports? ?Places for Struggling Teens? newsletter.

Curious, the continuity of this name 'New Horizons'.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 01:36:39 PM »
Yeah, most programs go through them faster than Dubya goes through soldiers.

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »
Faster than bad news, in other words.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »
Well, Jackie and Caroline both started the place together, and since they are both CEDUites, it makes sense. I kind of snorted derisively when I first heard the name of it.

Caroline doesn't work at NH anymore, though. I believe they took her off the faculty list in 03.

Vicki has a husband?  :o

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 04:03:19 AM »
Re. "Vicky has a husband?" - note that the news item was from 1992... who knows, now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »
I went to RMA with Jackie. She was Caroline's pet -- because of who her mother was, she was treated "special". I am also aware of some bad things that happened to her while she was at RMA. I have been surprised that she still praises her experience there.

I also know that she has little invlovement with the girls at her program.

I know that she is in this industry for the same reason many are - money. Since she didn't go to college, this was what she thought she was qualified to do.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 05:26:21 PM »
A pernicious form of cannibalism, I say...

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 05:54:02 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I went to RMA with Jackie. She was Caroline's pet -- because of who her mother was, she was treated "special". I am also aware of some bad things that happened to her while she was at RMA. I have been surprised that she still praises her experience there.

I also know that she has little invlovement with the girls at her program.

I know that she is in this industry for the same reason many are - money. Since she didn't go to college, this was what she thought she was qualified to do.

If you graduated after her, then I probably knew you. I got there about a week before she graduated.

Care to elaborate on the bad things that happened?

Offline jsweetbi

• View Profile
Re: Q?: New Horizons/Jacqueline Danforth/RMA
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 12:03:48 AM »
new horizons  has  since closed do  to  lack of enrollment.