Author Topic: New Haven Home For Girls  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
New Haven Home For Girls
« on: July 30, 2005, 03:34:00 AM »
This is an RTC in Utah.

I read the bios for the therapists and some of them appear to be especially qualified to handle the more serious personality disorders (e.g. RAD, Borderline) but this is not a program I have heard much about. Anybody have any personal experience with this particular "therapeutic community" which I presume is hyper-vigilent (meaning round the clock supervision)and must cost a minor fortune?  

http://www.newhavenrtc.com/peo_09_therapy.php

Also, check out the daily schedule. Not sure what to make of it except that it's tightly structured around individual and GROUP therapy, school work and some fairly decent free time (compared to what I have seen in other locked therapeutic schools).  

http://www.newhavenrtc.com/dayinthelife.php

Personally, I wouldn't send my own child to any program in UTAH knowing what their track record is as far as monitoring programs is concerned. The Utah Office of Licensing simply does not have enough people to adequately and efficiently monitor the hundreds of teen-help programs operating in the state.

IMO, this presents serious problems for the children who reside in programs in UTAH.

Lax oversight equals lax rule enforcement, IMO.

Perhaps UTAH need to raise their licensing fees so they can hire more staff?

Sure beats the sub-standard system they are currently using for LACK OF FUNDS.

:silly:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
New Haven Home For Girls
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 04:49:00 AM »
The New Haven RTC is on ISAC's watchlist. Doesn't look good.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
New Haven Home For Girls
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »
wilderness program gay underage orgy...  :eek:

I have now heard it all. Wow.

Government can do something for the people only in proportion as it can do something to the people
http://lfb.com/?stocknumber=FF7485&code=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson.

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
New Haven Home For Girls
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
I guess the parents who send their boys to these programs may not be aware of this possibility - the GAY orgies that occure.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
New Haven Home For Girls
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
I find it utterly hilarious that you say "bugger" in this sitaution... 'specially cos he wasnt the one doing any buggering  :rofl:

Education is that which remains, if one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
--Albert Einstein, Out of My Later Years, 1950

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
New Haven Home For Girls
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 08:29:00 PM »
NEVER send your kid to a program in Utah.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
New Haven Home For Girls
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »
bundle of sticks huh...  :lol:

I cannot believe in the immortality of the soul.... No, all this talk of an existence for us, as individuals, beyond the grave is wrong. It is born of our tenacity of life -- our desire to go on living -- our dread of coming to an end.
--Thomas Edison, American inventor

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: New Haven Home For Girls
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »
My daughter was at New Haven and this place saved her life and our relationship. She would tell you the same thing. She loves the people there. All of the staff and therapists are decent, compassionate, skilled people. If your daughter needs this kind of help, do not hesitate to bring her to New Haven...or go yourself and take a look. Please do not confuse New Haven with dangerous facilities you may have heard of.
All RTC's in Utah are not the same and New Haven is a much needed resource for young girls and families that desperately need help.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 07:17:23 PM »
Quote from: "new haven alumni mom"
My daughter was at New Haven and this place saved her life and our relationship. She would tell you the same thing. She loves the people there. All of the staff and therapists are decent, compassionate, skilled people. If your daughter needs this kind of help, do not hesitate to bring her to New Haven...or go yourself and take a look. Please do not confuse New Haven with dangerous facilities you may have heard of.
All RTC's in Utah are not the same and New Haven is a much needed resource for young girls and families that desperately need help.

Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt....

Niggah puhlease...

Utah.. that says it all. Either they are busy killing kids, already killed them, or are getting around to getting busy killing them. Utah is a nightmare for programs and lack of program oversight.

Sending your child to New Haven is tantamount to sentencing them to a possible lifetime of nightmares and ptsd.

Offline act.da

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27:25 PM »
If you don't agree with the statements made, why drag this "innocent" program through the mud again by bumping up a thread from 2005? I can't talk specifics in regards to New Haven, but just because you and your daughter don't think it's a bad place doesn't mean it isn't. Maybe you're just brainwashed. BTW Che is right - even if New Haven isn't as bad as some "other" Utah programs, that state still lacks necessary oversight.
<&/PV>
[size=85]"that protester guy is still coming"[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:51:13 AM »
Well, we have a datasheet on our wiki with links to several survivor groups on both Myspace and Facebook. Let people judge for themselves how these survivors speaks of the level system used at the facility.

On the datasheet there is a link to a story from a survivor. The survivor writes:

New Haven Residential Treatment Centr in Utah has destroyed what could have been. I arrived in early November in 1995 at the East Campus, in Spanish Fork, Utah. I arivd or a serious case of depression and isolation. The first two months were hell, et I seemed to have gotten something out of it therapeautically, from then on it was pure hell. There was nthing left and I was being violate. Emotionally, physically. was being abused by both staff and students. Thank God for my Brother, after writing to him, herescued me. I have never been the same. This should be shut down. It is decieving and it fucks with your head. As of now I am living with my parets and studyin to be an accountant. My life could have been different, yet I am living in fear. Fear of life. Parents, do not send yor chidren to an rtc, they do more harm than good, you can save them.

---
Oscar Petterson - standin for Rotsne, while he is on sickleave

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 02:57:50 AM »
Gee.. that just sounds exactly like the kind of place I'd want to see a child at.

not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:16:14 PM »
There are many RTC's in Utah, and to paint them all with the same brush does a disservice to many. More problematic that that, though, is the disservice done to families looking for help in dealing with a very troubled teenager who may be in danger. The most reputable RTC's (including New Haven)voluntarily adhere to the much stricter guidelines of NATSAP. I have first hand experience with New Haven and I hope, by posting in this forum,  to convince any parents who are looking for help with their daughter to check it out for themselves.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
There are many RTC's in Utah, and to paint them all with the same brush does a disservice to many. More problematic that that, though, is the disservice done to families looking for help in dealing with a very troubled teenager who may be in danger. The most reputable RTC's (including New Haven)voluntarily adhere to the much stricter guidelines of NATSAP. I have first hand experience with New Haven and I hope, by posting in this forum,  to convince any parents who are looking for help with their daughter to check it out for themselves.

Madam, I hate to burst your bubble, but do take note of the operative here being the word "guideline." There is, in fact, not a whole lot that is "strict" about NATSAP save for the admonition to "not embarrass the rest of the organization too much." NATSAP functions primarily as a lobbying and marketing tool on behalf of its members, not on behalf of--nor for the benefit of--parents.

Do keep in mind that these places are primarily run as businesses and that they need to make money to remain solvent. It is very much in their interest to keep parents like you convinced that they provide a necessary service. It is up to you as a parent to read between the lines and do your research to find out what the hell you have gotten yourself into.

New Haven RTC is part of a group run by Solacium Holdings. LLC. There have been some changes in that lineup since the original post in that link, but I don't think New Haven was affected by them. That thread also contains some other links.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »
Well, RTCs are all about pleasing the parents, aren't they. "Send us your free spirit and we will send you back a Stepford daughter--only $200,000."

And naturally the more you pay for something, the more valuable you perceive it to be--it's at the heart of every con game. "This can't have been an abusive place staffed by incompetents--I spent $200,000!"

An objective accounting of what it costs to provide the services of an RTC would suggest that tuition should not cost more than $700 a month, tops. So why do they charge upwards of $7,000 a month? Well, why do people pay $27,000 for a handbag, or $1,500 for a pair of shoes?  Because with enough slick marketing and a good con, people will buy anything.

In the end, it is the experience of the child that is far more important than that of the parent, far more to the point. If even a fraction of the posts I read here from survivors are true, then the risk of sending one's own child to an RTC is too grave--the abuse too commonplace, the education too substandard, the irreparable damage to families too widespread.

It's a fact that with time and patience troubled teens outgrow their wild behavior, as they have for millenia. There is no need to risk a permanently ruptured relationship between parent and child.

Isolate and terrify a child, and lo and behold, he or she will profess undying gratitude and love if you will please, please, please bring them home. But do not be fooled into thinking you will have a future relationship based on on trust and love.

There are countless survivors who post here anonymously. I expect most of their parents are unaware that they are online writing about lasting effects of trauma and abuse, and continuing difficulty with relationships with parents.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.