Author Topic: Escape attempt from Elements Wilderness program  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Escape attempt from Elements Wilderness program
« on: October 30, 2014, 02:09:13 AM »
The Sheriff is concerned but why did he then return the boy to the wilderness program? Shouldn't he report the incident to the authorities so the permit could be taken from the program? Shouldn't he return the boy to the boys parents?

Quote from: Emery County Progress
Missing boy from wilderness program found on desert
Emery County Progress, October 27 2014

The Emery County Sheriff's Office and search and rescue located a runaway male juvenile missing from the Cedar Mountain Area. He is 17 years old, approximately 135 pounds with brown hair and eyes. He was last seen on Friday night. He was not fully clothed wearing socks, leggings, and a green wool sweater. Emery County Sheriff Greg Funk said, "The Sheriff's Office was contacted on Saturday morning and we began the search. We combed the Cedar Mountain area. We finally located the boy, he was hiding. His intent he said was to go to California. We had the UHP helicopter and Eagle Air med flying the area searching for the boy. We also did a ground search and tracked the boy for a mile when we lost him in the rocks. The boy was on the move when he ran into the Elements staff. He was enrolled in the Elements Wilderness program. One of the things they do is take the shoes and pants from the participants. They are out here for two months in the program. This boy was from back east and didn't want to be here. He was combative when he was located. The deputies got the boy under control and he was returned to the program.

"This situation is alarming. We go on two to three searches a year for these kids. The frequency of the searches has me worried. I worry for the safety of these teenagers. I also worry they might get into our communities and steal a vehicle from one of our residents. I am talking to them about using more advanced forms of technology for keeping their participants in place.

"My biggest concern is that we might lose the life of one of these children. If they die from exposure to the harsh desert environment, that really concerns me. We are investigating better ways to handle these situations. The boy was in good condition and he spent two nights in hiding. He was stiff and sore but otherwise unharmed," said Sheriff Funk.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:01:29 AM by Oscar »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: Escape attempt from Elements Wilderness program
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
Where is this program?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:07:58 AM »
We have learned of two additional articles covering escape attempts in the area:

Missing youth found near Castle Dale
By PATSY STODDARD, Emery County Progress, January 29, 2014

Emery County Search and Rescue along with the Emery County Sheriff's Office spent Friday night into Saturday searching for a 17 year old male youth who had walked away from a wilderness program.

The youth was reported missing on Friday night in the Chimney Rock area. Sheriff Funk said they searched and tracked him throughout the night and called in a chopper.

A member of the search and rescue spotted him on Saturday morning almost to Castle Dale. He had walked more than 20 miles. Sheriff Funk said he was returned to the wilderness program.

Sheriff Funk said a Code Red was issued on Saturday to alert citizens in the county that the youth was missing. He expressed his concern that sometimes runaways will steal a vehicle or other property so he issued the Code Red.

This youth however said he planned to look for a job in the area until he turned 18.

Search and rescue finds missing youth on desert
Emery County Progress, February 4 2014

Emery County Search and Rescue along with the Emery County Sheriff's Office spent Friday night into Saturday searching for a 17 year old male youth who had walked away from a wilderness program.

The youth was reported missing on Friday night in the Chimney Rock area. Sheriff Funk said they searched and tracked him throughout the night and called in a chopper.

A member of the search and rescue spotted him on Saturday morning almost to Castle Dale. He had walked more than 20 miles.

Sheriff Funk said he was returned to the wilderness program.

Sheriff Funk said a Code Red was issued on Saturday to alert citizens in the county that the youth was missing. He expressed his concern that sometimes runaways will steal a vehicle or other property so he issued the Code Red.

This youth however said he planned to look for a job in the area until he turned 18.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 01:14:44 AM »
The Sheriff is concerned but why did he then return the boy to the wilderness program? - Parents often sign over temporary custody to programs, that is why the sheriff probably returned the boy to the program.

The Sheriff has an obligation to protect the child - regardless of who has custody. If a parent endangers the child, the incident has to be reported to the social services. If a program does the same, the sheriff still has to do it. So if the Sheriff was really concerned, the authorities should have taken the child into custody and investigated the matter. Then if the investigation should have proven the program innocent, the child should be returned to the program.

The Sheriff needs to explain why he didn't keep the child. Has it been a parent who had taken his children into the desert several times explosing them to the elements, it would have happen.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
You are more than welcome to make an example out of the Sheriff.  Many survivors who went to programs are dealing with health problems, disability related issues, employment problems, trauma from fighting in war and are extremely busy raising their families.  I have explained this to you before.  The articles you  post are the least of their concerns.
I also have life beside my little contribution to the Web syndication organization our organization is a part of. I get newsfeed from someone and republish it with my own comments on those messageboards and blogs I monitor, so the bad news so to say is published by 50 people with their own individual comments so the search engines don't regard it as spam.

It works. Bain Capital has sold CRC Health because of the negative press. Aspen Education Group is a shadow of their former self. WWASP is 4 individual schools with no nationwide organization left. People in countries outside the United States are thankful and repays their gratitude with partipation in the Web syndication network with own pages linking to the syndication pages making it even stronger.