Author Topic: Nineteen years ago today  (Read 3813 times)

Offline marika708

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« on: November 07, 2002, 10:55:00 AM »
My parents drove me to Marietta for intake into the program.  I was 17 years old, they had pressed charges against me upon the advice of some guy out of Gastonia NC that was doing alot of recruiting for Straight at that time, and I had been court ordered for treatment.  I had driven my car across state lines, it was registered in their name so the could charge me with unlawful use of a motor conveyance.  I remember walking in and seeing two girls standing in the doorway of one of the little rooms, at the time I thought they were speaking in sign language, I found out later they were doing little bunny foo foo.  I remember going into a room with two girls and staying in there a while but I have no idea what we talked about.  I finally was allowed to use the bathroom but those two girls came with me and I couldn't do anything, even though I needed to so badly that it hurt.  My parents finally showed up later on and I told my mother I needed to go to the bathroom and couldn't go and that they were in there with me, in German.  I thought the exec that was with my mom was going to jump out of her skin, even though my mom has a strong German accent, I don't think it ever occurred to them that I would speak it.  The only thing the exec could think of to say to me was to be very careful as to what I was saying because she was fluent in Yiddish!  I looked at her like she was a complete moron and kept talking to my mom in German about how ridiculous this was.  I don't remember them saying good-bye.  Finally another staff member, I think her name was Chris, came and took me to the bathroom and I was able to go.  I remember being brought into group and thinking they were all lunatics, flapping their arms up and down.  I watched somone misbehaving and saw them getting creamed, pretty much decided I wouldn't try that approach.  I remember standing up and telling staff a little about my story, and I remember crying alot.  I was sent to a pretty nice foster home, nice meaning the people were nice, the family was struggling really hard financially, I felt guilty, like I was imposing on them.  I remember they were all glad that I wanted to wash my face, they hated the fact that I had makeup on.  I remember I said excuse me to one of the other newcomers when I bumped into her and she looked so scared I thought I had really done something bad.  I remember it was really cold in their house, they had to keep the heat turned down and we slept on the floor in sleep sacks, those things you can bundle up in to watch tv.  I remember being amazed at the host mom locking us in the room at night.  I remember thinking that the other newcomers were acting really strangely, I couldn't quite put my finger on what I thought was so weird, just that they didn't act normal.  That night I learned how to warm up where I was sleeping by breathing under my covers.  

I'm glad I found this site.

Marika

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
arika
Atlanta \'83-\'84

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 11:37:00 AM »
On my intake, Miller Newton swore he could tell I'd done coke, and lots of it by "tell-tale physiological signs in my eyes." I'd never even seen coke.

Glad you found us too, Marika.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 01:51:00 PM »
welcome Marika.  I like the way you write and thank you for bringing day one back succinctly.
Bill
12/80-12/82
St Pete & Atlanta
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 02:03:00 PM »
It took me a good 30-45 minutes before I even realized what the hell was going on.  I sat with an exec staff member and she started talking really rudely to me...as if I had done something directly to offend her.  No one even told me I was in treatment or that I was even going to have to stay until at least that long.

My intake was just a long string of lies.  They asked me if I had done coke, I said no (I hadnt) and they wouldnt continue on with the intake until I admitted that I did.  My intake I know took a good 2-3 hours just gettng through the list of questions.

I remember walking into group and hearing all these kids singing at the top of their lungs.  I still felt that it might have been a terrible joke.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline from dallas

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 03:21:00 PM »
My intake sucked because that very morning my mom had picked me up from another rehab, took me to my grandmother's house (I knew nothing at this point), I hung out there for a little bit, then she tells me I'm going to Straight.  I knew exactly what she was talking about because my cousin was in St.Pete in the 80's.

They load me up in the car - my cousin & his friend on either side of me so I don't run - and off we go.

Lots of stupid questions during the actual intake - girl/girl, girl/animal, give me a break - I hadn't even had sex before.

I was completely honest about my past drinking and minimal drug use - of course they didn't believe me, but I was telling the truth.

One of the crappiest days of my life.

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2002, 04:24:00 PM »
Welcome Marika, good to see you posting.
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2002, 04:30:00 PM »
Glad you found us; and glad you are a survivor too!  

Best regards to you-
Michael, Straight Survivor '78 - 80

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 12:34:00 AM »
Marika, I remember you from Atlanta. Reading your post brought back memories of the dreaded intake day.

I was definitly a mess when I entered that building. There was a kid sitting at a phone in a small cubicle, and me. My parents went into another room to talk to someone, and I went out to smoke. I was instructed to come back into the cube by someone, but I was so fucked up I did not listen.  I had been shooting up Dilaudid all morning before I got there, I was old enough to admit myself, and sick enough to want help. I was not court ordered, I knew I was a mess. I just had no idea what I was getting into. My brother was already in, and my folks were convinced that it was the right place for me to be...I trusted that this place would get me off the needle.  When I got to the intake room, the phasers doing my intake looked like little kids to me. They were all so incredibly young. They were in pink Izods and no make up. I was there in Biker attire, complete with thigh boots and all! I told some woman that I did not think that these kids were ready to hear my answers to their questions, and that I would prefer to talk to someone a bit older.I was not telling them what they wanted to know, in fact, as fucked up as I was,(and Miller Newton would have definitely had a field day with my eyes!!!), I was denying most everything but smoking pot and drinking.  Next thing I knew, Pam Cobb, a druggie friend from my hometown was there, and June Finney was there. Ann Crow was there telling me that it was okay to tell them all of the story. She already knew from talking to Pam that my past included a bit more than smoke, and furthermore what were all the tracks on my hands and arms from.....damn. Patti Johnson was there, she was telling me that the boots would have to go, and I just did not even understand that, I was sure that she would take them and wear them! I refused to come out of my leather jacket, much to the dismay of the Exec who was demanding it. I do believe that my intake was almost 11 hours long, all I know is that I was in there long enough to go into withdrawls from all of the narcotics I had coursing thru my system. It had been a long time since I had gone that amount of time without a needle. Yep, I was a mess.  By that time, I was sick, physically. I demanded to leave with my parents, but they were not to be found. For the price of a cigarette, I would tell them what they wanted to know. At some point, I rattled out all of the drugs that were in my system that morning and all that I could think of taking in the past few days.It was a list from hell.  Enough to "force" them to keep me there. Ann Crow convinced me to give her my jacket, someone took me to a bathroom and strip searched me, took my cigarettes too...ouch! My jacket was gone, my boots were gone, I was throwing up in a trashcan, and sweating bullets, I figured that I needed to be in a hospital for detox. I could not even stand up at that point, could not focus my eyes on anything, all I could think of is how the hell do I get out of here and get a shot. My folks came by to tell me they loved me and to give the place a try.  Apparently, I had held up the group long enough, and I was taken into some huge room with lots of these really young kids in it.....swinging arms, and they all looked just the same. And there I stood, in strange clothes, in a strange land, with strange kids, someone had me by the beltloop, telling the group all kinds of shit about me. They all yelled "Love ya!". And, I threw up.Literally.I did not sleep that nite, neither did the folks in the house. I sweated it, badly. I was so weak I could not have dragged my ass to a door to escape.

The next day, I was definitely sick. There were little green army men crawling all over the room, all over Ann Crow's skirt, all over me. The walls were melting shit on me, and I was definitely in DT's. I awoke in a hospital. There were two of these "strange" kids in the room, speaking in a strange language, and eating ice cream. I tried to get up and go to the bathroom, and was told that I needed to ask first. I told them to fuck off, that I would kick their asses, and went anyways. I dont think they new what to do about that.....I just went, locked the door too. Little did I know how precious that locked bathroom door would be! I spent 10 days being detoxed at some hospital in Smyrna. Nice place, good food, locking bathroom doors!!Upon my return to group, I was convinced that I was fine. I was healed of my drug issue, and was ready to leave. Susan McNitt stood me up and asked me why, Rusty Mcdaniel asked me some questions. I was very foggy. Noone yelled at me,  In fact, during the entire time I was there, even when I copped out and returned, noone ever really yelled at me...I dont know why.. Perhaps because of my age, perhaps because of my being so sick, I have no idea. They immediately put me on a 72 hour hold, of course, and the next thing I knew, I was told that I was courtordered. I spent the next 18 months, 23 years old, legally able to leave, but brainwashed into believing that I was there under the courts order. Damn Damn.

The only good thing that came from Straight for me is that I am not dead. I did much damage to my body before I got there, they did much damage to my head after I got there. Ironic, huh?

[ This Message was edited by: majiktrvls on 2002-11-07 21:58 ]
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 07:03:00 AM »
They poisoned us with lies. Spit in our faces. Told us that we are full of shit. A bunch of lunatics flappin there freakin arms in a frenzy. All in the name of Straight? I sometimes wonder why. The only reason I beleive is for the purpose of conformity. These people had no feelings, yet kept telling us not to talk or watch T.V., only read the bible. I have to admit this site intrigues my mind, yet already it is revvin with the delight that one day the world will know the truth about the fig newton.

Offline marika708

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 10:12:00 AM »
Thank you for telling that story, that must have been very hard to go through.  I can only imagine how you must have felt after going through all that to come into Straight.  I felt like I was too "old" for alot of their mess, when I withdrew it was because I realized that all the things that they were telling me to focus on had nothing to do with whether or not I would ever use again.  It's hard enough realizing the things that I was doing were self-destructive and that I was responsible for choosing the path that I wanted  for my life, but looking back over the last two decades and realizing the impact that the 6 months I spent in that place have influenced me to the degree that they have is mind boggling.  I hate the fact that my personality and way of thinking are so warped by the mind control they practiced.  I am slowly beginning to realize the parts of myself that are only there because they put them there, and I am trying to figure out how to purge that part of me.
arika
Atlanta \'83-\'84

Offline misbehaver

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2002, 01:43:00 PM »
Methinks not. My family, surely; but I tried to never lose focus, eyes on the prize.

Marika: thanks for your story, it opened up some thought patterns. Healing? maybe...

Majik: I long thought I'd never be able to understand why the "of age" phasers flew like moths to the flame. If yer already burnt, it couldn't hurt much worse. Thanks for your tale, it took alot of courage to share it.

My turn: my intake was largely uneventful. I was gathering intel; watching those who were watching me. When I refused the food brought after hours of interrogation, I was shocked to see the "intake phasers" gobble it down like it was the last supper. Hmmm...

I came in on a Saturday, which was the "funtime" nite where people actually smiled and ate like humans. I thought for half-a-minute: this may not be so bad. Until, the next day when I saw these same kids shift gears and become scared of their own shadows. While I once felt like a welcomed guest, I knew immediately that I was a "newcomer" to be passed off and humbled. Hmmm...

Next day, new family, nice folks. We get into the car to goto the building and suddenly the oldcomer opens the the door and runs like a deer. The 2nd phaser (little guy) sitting next to me looks like he's standing on a land mine. This "oldcomer's" parents are screaming and crying his name. All they could do was run like lemmings to the building for orders.

I wondered what this guy was running from..?

Was this place THAT bad? Hmmmm...

On that day, I knew that with this much discord and fear this unit would never gain enough unity to achieve the objective. I figured that if I held out and never balked on my position, that I would break their ranks. After all, no one REALLY trusted anybody else and once I figured that out, I used every opportunity to exploit this weakness. I wasn't scared; I didn't need to run. I just waited and endured. After 7 months, my tour was up I was going home. I knew it all along; and so did they. Jason

[ This Message was edited by: misbehaver on 2002-11-08 11:07 ]

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »
On 2002-11-07 21:34:00, Majiktrvls wrote:
"Marika, I remember you from Atlanta. Reading your post brought back memories of the dreaded intake day.

I was definitly a mess when I entered that building. There was a kid sitting at a phone in a small cubicle, and me. My parents went into another room to talk to someone, and I went out to smoke. I was instructed to come back into the cube by someone, but I was so fucked up I did not listen.  I had been shooting up Dilaudid all morning before I got there, I was old enough to admit myself, and sick enough to want help. I was not court ordered, I knew I was a mess. I just had no idea what I was getting into. My brother was already in, and my folks were convinced that it was the right place for me to be...I trusted that this place would get me off the needle.  When I got to the intake room, the phasers doing my intake looked like little kids to me. They were all so incredibly young. They were in pink Izods and no make up. I was there in Biker attire, complete with thigh boots and all! I told some woman that I did not think that these kids were ready to hear my answers to their questions, and that I would prefer to talk to someone a bit older.I was not telling them what they wanted to know, in fact, as fucked up as I was,(and Miller Newton would have definitely had a field day with my eyes!!!), I was denying most everything but smoking pot and drinking.  Next thing I knew, Pam Cobb, a druggie friend from my hometown was there, and June Finney was there. Ann Crow was there telling me that it was okay to tell them all of the story. She already knew from talking to Pam that my past included a bit more than smoke, and furthermore what were all the tracks on my hands and arms from.....damn. Patti Johnson was there, she was telling me that the boots would have to go, and I just did not even understand that, I was sure that she would take them and wear them! I refused to come out of my leather jacket, much to the dismay of the Exec who was demanding it. I do believe that my intake was almost 11 hours long, all I know is that I was in there long enough to go into withdrawls from all of the narcotics I had coursing thru my system. It had been a long time since I had gone that amount of time without a needle. Yep, I was a mess.  By that time, I was sick, physically. I demanded to leave with my parents, but they were not to be found. For the price of a cigarette, I would tell them what they wanted to know. At some point, I rattled out all of the drugs that were in my system that morning and all that I could think of taking in the past few days.It was a list from hell.  Enough to "force" them to keep me there. Ann Crow convinced me to give her my jacket, someone took me to a bathroom and strip searched me, took my cigarettes too...ouch! My jacket was gone, my boots were gone, I was throwing up in a trashcan, and sweating bullets, I figured that I needed to be in a hospital for detox. I could not even stand up at that point, could not focus my eyes on anything, all I could think of is how the hell do I get out of here and get a shot. My folks came by to tell me they loved me and to give the place a try.  Apparently, I had held up the group long enough, and I was taken into some huge room with lots of these really young kids in it.....swinging arms, and they all looked just the same. And there I stood, in strange clothes, in a strange land, with strange kids, someone had me by the beltloop, telling the group all kinds of shit about me. They all yelled "Love ya!". And, I threw up.Literally.I did not sleep that nite, neither did the folks in the house. I sweated it, badly. I was so weak I could not have dragged my ass to a door to escape.

The next day, I was definitely sick. There were little green army men crawling all over the room, all over Ann Crow's skirt, all over me. The walls were melting shit on me, and I was definitely in DT's. I awoke in a hospital. There were two of these "strange" kids in the room, speaking in a strange language, and eating ice cream. I tried to get up and go to the bathroom, and was told that I needed to ask first. I told them to fuck off, that I would kick their asses, and went anyways. I dont think they new what to do about that.....I just went, locked the door too. Little did I know how precious that locked bathroom door would be! I spent 10 days being detoxed at some hospital in Smyrna. Nice place, good food, locking bathroom doors!!Upon my return to group, I was convinced that I was fine. I was healed of my drug issue, and was ready to leave. Susan McNitt stood me up and asked me why, Rusty Mcdaniel asked me some questions. I was very foggy. Noone yelled at me,  In fact, during the entire time I was there, even when I copped out and returned, noone ever really yelled at me...I dont know why.. Perhaps because of my age, perhaps because of my being so sick, I have no idea. They immediately put me on a 72 hour hold, of course, and the next thing I knew, I was told that I was courtordered. I spent the next 18 months, 23 years old, legally able to leave, but brainwashed into believing that I was there under the courts order. Damn Damn.

The only good thing that came from Straight for me is that I am not dead. I did much damage to my body before I got there, they did much damage to my head after I got there. Ironic, huh?[ This Message was edited by: majiktrvls on 2002-11-07 21:58 ]"

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »
On 2002-11-07 21:34:00, Majiktrvls wrote:
"Marika, I remember you from Atlanta. Reading your post brought back memories of the dreaded intake day.

The only good thing that came from Straight for me is that I am not dead. I did much damage to my body before I got there, they did much damage to my head after I got there. Ironic, huh?[ This Message was edited by: majiktrvls on 2002-11-07 21:58 ]"

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2003, 07:29:00 PM »
Sorry, dont know how I quoted myself twice, did not even mean to quote myself once!! Must be part of the postStraight disorders that affect me!!
I was brought there nineteen years ago today, and about this time of the evening I was just about sick of being in that damn intake room. I had already endured 8 hours.  Little did I know that it would still be many many hours before I would officailly arrive in the dungeon!! I think it is really odd how it seems like such a lifetime ago, but then again it was just yesterday. Some of my time there is blocked out, other times are foggy, but the time that remains clearly lodged is etched in permaink on my brain.

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
Nineteen years ago today
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2003, 10:20:00 AM »
Majik,

I know I have read this before but I think it just blew in one ear and out the other. God, all the names you mentioned. Rusty was in my foster home, Susan had been on staff as long as I could remember, Patty probably did run off with your boots. Pam and June I'm guessing were on 5th and I'll bet I was on 3rd maybe 2nd.

On my intake I remember Dave Tilley bitching at me and wouldn't let me go to the bathroom until I had signed myself in. I never did like that man, but cried like a baby anyway when he left. My intake lasted forever, but not because of anything I did. My mother started passing a kidney stone, but they wouldn't let them leave until all the paper work was done. I'll bet the exec's were having a tough time letting them tell me good-bye with my mother being messed up as a football batt.

Nevis McCalister was one of my oldcomers along with Brain Casey. I remember them setting me between Brain and his dad on the way home so I wouldn't run. I was thinking they were nuts. Like I am going to jump out of a moving vehicle. Shoot, I wasn't court ordered and over 18. I thought I could have left when I wanted to.

Any way, the next day Brain reported Nevis for turning his back on a newcomer. Being reported for anything meant you were FOS and at that time, it was a no win. You were going to be set back. Nevis gets set back and as I am being taken to see Doc Beasley, Nevis starts fighting and is squashed by the most of the guys side.

Coming back from the Doc, Nevis is spread eagle on the floor with another phaser on each appendage. grunting like a wounded animal, face red and sweating profusly. The 5th phaser holding me by the ass whispers in my ear, "Face Forward," and yanks up on the seat of my pants giving me a wedgie.

Thanks, Majik. You jogged a lot of things loose.

Clay

[ This Message was edited by: ClayL on 2003-01-15 07:20 ]