Author Topic: MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA  (Read 12980 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« on: May 17, 2005, 12:17:00 AM »
We are looking for anyone who has a story to tell about Monarch Academy and their experiences there, good or bad.

We are thinking about possibly sending our child there and want to be sure it's a good place before we do.

So please, be truly honest in your reply because we are so worried after reading what goes on in these places.

Thank you so much, concerned parent.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »
I too am considering sending my son to Monarch. I personally know of 3 kids who have gone or are going to Monarch. I met with a students mother who happens to have a son there now. She lives near us and we met. She raves about it, showed me pictures... She would probably be willing to talk to you. I am going out to visit next month. I even talked to a girl who recently went there.
my e-mail is [email protected] if you want to contact me. Helene

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
From the HEAL site:

The Monarch School is suspected of being an abusive behavior modification program.  This is based on the language of the parent/school contract which reads: ?AUTHORIZATION FOR RESTRAINT-I/We hereby give consent and authorize the school personnel to utilize reasonable physical force to restrain, control and detain the above named student for and including, but not limited to, the following purposes: to protect the student, protect property, protect Monarch School personnel or others from physical injury or threat of injury from the student. AUTHORIZATION FOR SEARCH I/We hereby give consent and authorize the school to search the student and the student?s personal effects. The school is hereby authorized to confiscate any and all items deemed by the school to be contraband. ?  It is suspect because if a child is not a threat to themselves or others physical restraint, control, or detainment is wholly unwarranted and violates international and federal human rights laws that apply to children as well as adults.  In fact, prolonged and unwarranted physical restraint, control, or detainment is considered torture under the United Nations definition.  Further evidence taken from their contract that we find suspect is the following: ?.  I/We hereby voluntarily release and discharge Monarch School and its officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents of any and all claims, demands, actions suits or proceedings which the student or any parent, relative, or next of kin of the student may have for any or all injuries, damages and expenses, including but not limited to all personal injuries and illnesses and all damages to personal and real property caused by, arising out of, or otherwise related to the student?s participation in any activity or program conducted by or on behalf of Monarch School.?  They require parents to sign a permission slip that they may physically harm their child and then require that should they find the conduct to be malicious on the part of Monarch Schools that they agree never to sue even if illegal abuse or violations of human rights are evident.  Don?t send your child to this school!  If you have attended Monarch School and you were abused while in their care, contact us and we will add your testimonial to this website to warn others.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »
I went to monarch academy about a year ago and i had a very hard time. I eventually had to get sent to somewhere else but i always regretted leaving that school. it was such a friendly enviornment and so helpful. All the staff was extremly helpful and loving. i definetly reccomend Monarch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
Ask for info on http://www.strugglingteens.com    You will get false and distorted information on this site telling you how abusive the program is (from people who have no knowledge of it at all).

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »
Steve Rookey works there, as well as his brother Dave, and Tim Earle, the brother to Dan Earle. Tim (and his brother Dan) and Steve are a ex-staff members of Rocky Mountain Academy, one of the CEDU schools, which is where I went. RMA is an abusive behavior modification school. I did not know Dave or Tim, but I knew Steve rather well. He was a jerk. I also knew Tim's brother Dan. He had sex with a student. (Hopefully Tim is not as lecherous.) Steve was quite lecherous as well. I know that he hit on a friend of mine after she graduated. Not illegal, since they were no longer a student, but still creepy.

The problem with a lot of these places is how incestuous they are. Staff move from one to the other.

http://monarchschool.com/faculty1.html

I don't know if this is the same place you are talking about, because when I did a search for Monarch Academy, that was in napa valley california, but the Monarch School is in Montana.

BTW, you said "children". You're thinking on sending more than one of your kids away?

Also, strugglingteens is pro-behavior mod, and reccomend schools like WWASPS, which is also an unbelievably abusive school system, and has been in trouble with the law in many countries. (They move some of their campuses out of the US to avoid regulation. Yet even there, they were raided.) Also, strugglingteens gets money endorsements from the schools they reccomend.

The strugglingteens website owner, Lon Woodbury, was an admissions director at Rocky Mountain Academy. He was also there when I was.

If you really want to consider placing your children, I suggest reading the book Help At Any Cost. It is an expose of the teen help industry, and how abusive these schools are. (Most of them owe some influence to Synanon, including CEDU, which was the first school to be developed in Synanon's image.) In the appendices section, it offers many suggestions on what to look for when placing a teen, as well as alternate options.

Any parent who is looking to place a child in a residential program needs to read this book, in my opinion.

Because of the fact that Monarch has associations with staff members who worked at a CEDU school, I have serious reservations about the place. It sounds like it employs Large Group Awareness Training techniques, like est and synanon did, coupled with "wilderness therapy".

[ This Message was edited by: sorry... try another castle on 2006-03-04 13:31 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
The parents who post on strugglingteens.com do NOT get money for giving feedback on programs.  Lon Woodbury is a reputable educational consultant.  The parents who post are willing to share their experiences with the programs they have experience with- good AND bad.  On this site you will only hear negatives from people who, in many cases, have no personal experience with the programs they are slamming.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
On 2006-03-04 13:47:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The parents who post on strugglingteens.com do NOT get money for giving feedback on programs.

Don't know, some might.  They do get tuition knocked off for each referral though.

Lon Woodbury is a reputable educational consultant.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
You're funny!

The parents who post are willing to share their experiences with the programs they have experience with- good AND bad.

Wrong.  Disagreement and dissention are not tolerated and posts reflecting such sentiments will be deleted.

On this site you will only hear negatives from people who, in many cases, have no personal experience with the programs they are slamming.  "

While it may be true that the majority here are opposed to these programs at least we have the integrity to allow other opinions to remain here, unaltered and uncensored.  CAn't say the same for you guys.  What are you so afraid of that you can't stand up to some scrutiny?

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »
On 2005-05-16 21:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"We are looking for anyone who has a story to tell about Monarch Academy and their experiences there, good or bad.

We are thinking about possibly sending our child there and want to be sure it's a good place before we do.

So please, be truly honest in your reply because we are so worried after reading what goes on in these places.

Thank you so much, concerned parent."

First, why do you WANT a program?

Second, do you NEED treatment at all?

Third, why not use treatment thats proven to work, vs 'treatment' that simply reverses the burden of proof when challenged and tries to stymie any sort of criticism or review?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »
There are plenty of posts on strugglingteens.com pointing out negatives and problems with the programs. It is correct that you can't mention the name of the program.  All that means is that you send a message or email to the poster for more information.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »
On 2006-03-04 14:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"There are plenty of posts on strugglingteens.com pointing out negatives and problems with the programs. It is correct that you can't mention the name of the program.  All that means is that you send a message or email to the poster for more information.  "

Its blatant censorship! They dont let anyone say anything about a program being bad, just generalized, nebulous (read: USELESS) crap about how the programs 'need to change' and the industry at large.

That, combined with the controlled information coming out of programs, and their rather useless glossy brochures (and most parents dont even find out about the LGATs until theyre told they have to sit through one before they can talk to their own kid again... AFTER, of course, theyve been coersed into letting the program effectively take their kid from them, and cut off communication) is a pretty effective means of keeping all relevant, salient information about the programs out of the hands of anyone looking at them.

ALL OF IT! Nobody even knows how the programs do anything, except seminars, and only if they went through one! And I really dont see how youre going to sit here and defend rehashed EST (erhard seminar trainings) that was debunked decades ago.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
I think information coming from parents who currently have kids in these programs or have kids who recently came out of a program is more valuable than the crap you are spewing here.  You have no specific knowledge of these programs. There is an occasional post on here by someone with firsthand information- a number of these have been pro-program. These people don't stick around long, of course.  There are many parents on ST who are willing to share the short-comings of the program they KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT. All it takes is a one line post on the Programs sections asking "Please contact me with information about _____."  What is censorship about THAT?

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
On 2006-03-04 15:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I think information coming from parents who currently have kids in these programs or have kids who recently came out of a program is more valuable than the crap you are spewing here.  You have no specific knowledge of these programs. There is an occasional post on here by someone with firsthand information- a number of these have been pro-program. These people don't stick around long, of course.  There are many parents on ST who are willing to share the short-comings of the program they KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT. All it takes is a one line post on the Programs sections asking "Please contact me with information about _____."  What is censorship about THAT?  "

Actualy, dumbass, I have TONS of specific knowledge about programs, FROM people who came out of them. I call issues with people who spew bullshit vague, generalized, nonsense or LIES about programs in defence of them, or to try to advertise them to another parent.

I guess my 1000+ posts of doing so have slipped right by you, rihgt?  :rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »
Use caution when taking advice from a parent who currently has a child enrolled in any program. They may get a referral fee or free tuition for enrolling your child, and most programs censor communication so the parents don?t really know what is going on. Talk with a parent whos child has been home for more than 4 months.

As for StrugglingTeens, that site is a joke. The owner knowingly advertises abusive programs to turn a profit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MONARCH ACADEMY, MONTANA
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »
There are VERY few programs which give referral fees or tuition reductions.  The better programs do a lot of screening before even allowing a kid to enroll in the program.
Parents with kids in the program can give you plenty of information.  It is NOT a smooth ride and happy times to have your child in one of these programs. There are lots of ups and downs and tears.  The parents on strugglingteens.com will share ALL of this with you- the good and the bad.