Author Topic: You guys should read this book...  (Read 3674 times)

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
You guys should read this book...
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:12:00 PM »
It's called "The Self-Anointed," by Gladis Lenore DePree.  She is the child of a man named John Vogel, who started The Galilean Children's Home in Corbin, Kentucky.

The reason I became interested in this book is because I read a case against the owner.  He tried to open in Florida after Kentucky forced the home to close, and Florida wouldn't give him a license.  (That was back in 1954, when Florida was slightly progressive.)

Anyway, according to the author, her father molested several teenaged girls in the home and had affairs with staff members while her mother was living in the home.  The story is really good, and written well.

The most interesting part was the author's take on her father's personality.  It reminds me a lot of the personalities of Lester Roloff, Michael Palmer, and the other "self-anointed" pastors.  One relative said she thought the guy was "paranoid schizophrenic with feelings of grandeur."  I think that exactly describes the other men.  They start these places to have their own little harems.  I don't mean that they intend to molest everyone there, but they want admirers.  At these places, they can bully and force people into admiring them.  

Anyway, if you get a chance, read the book.  It's very interesting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
You guys should read this book...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »
http://www.caller2.com/2000/april/16/to ... /5164.html

this article has some pictures of Wiley Cameron in them. Its a old article with a slant i think. but it has pictures in it.

its an article on the Simmons ordeals, poor guy...
Blaser needs to wake up and realize that most of the kids going thru the homes were there because of bad - abusive homes they were in.

For me to sit and read thru this article and what Blaser says, is something that provokes me,  at the injustice of being lumped into a category that i was not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »