Author Topic: some specific staff members  (Read 39112 times)

Offline marcwordsmith

• View Profile
    • http://www.marcwordsmith.com
some specific staff members
« on: November 02, 2002, 02:27:00 AM »
I am so curious what became of some of the staff members. I'm thinking of a few in particular:

1. Suzie Connors. When I was in the Ft. Lauderdale Seed in 1972, I was 14 and Suzie was 19 and--like many of the boys, I think--I had a sort of masochistic crush on her. But really, she wasn't the meanest staff member then, though she was occasionally cruel.
Reading through this forum, I see that Suzie went on to be the head of the St. Pete Seed, and was pretty much a monster. I was talking about this with my wife (not an ex-Seedling, not from Florida), saying it didn't quite jibe with my memory of Suzie. My wife pointed out that Suzie probably became worse. It makes sense.

2. John Underwood. What a spooky, strange guy. Does anybody know what became of him and how long he stayed with the Seed?

3. Clay. Don't know Clay's last name. It sounded something like "Climb." He's the one I'm most interested in. He had graduated the Seed before my time, then had had to serve a jail sentence on an old rap (as in legal rap, not Seed rap), and he returned to the Seed--as a staff member--about a month before I graduated. Clay was unique. Of all the staff members, if you caught his eye during a rap, instead of glaring at you to insinuate that you should be PAYING ATTENTION TO THE RAP, he might wink or make a funny face. At least that's how he was with me.
Here comes the remarkable part. Clay pulled me aside one evening and said softly, "How would you like to go to the oldtimers' rap tonight?" meaning I had completed the program. I was thrilled of course. But asking around, I never heard of anybody else being informed that way that they had completed the program; everybody else I spoke to had gotten their name called in front of the group and there was all that celebratory applause. It is my belief to this day that Clay subverted normal channels on my behalf--that it was HIS decision that I should be finished. If any other senior Seed staff person were to have retracted that decision, this would have revealed division in the ranks, which was unthinkable.

4. Danny Ultamura, another interesting character who kinda disappeared before I was out of there. Mean to some, but very kind to me.

What became of these souls I wonder, I wonder.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 12:40:00 AM »
Hey Marc. Long time no hear. I hope everything is good.

News is sketchy on these folks. Last I saw Suzy Connors was in Ft Lauderdale about 1979. I was working in the record store, and the Seed girls lived about a block away in an apartment complex (see my story about the event by the pool).
Anyway, she came in and I tried to talk to her. She politely said hi and asked me to help her pick out an album for her friend. I picked out "Saturday night Fever" and she left. Last I heard she was at the "Seed Reunion" about 10 years ago and is living up north somewhere.
I am not sure calling a monster is accurate. I think Suzy was duped just like the rest of us and eventually left the Seed. Her position at the St Pete Seed left a very young, very indoctrinated child in charge of hundred's of children, and her job was to institute a behavior modification regiment upon these children. This is a tremendous responsibility for a young person like her to have to handle. She made mistakes, to be sure.

John Underwood....recently I heard that way back when in the late 70s, he started a company with someone else from St Pete selling tennis courts. Where this went and where he is....I sure would like to know. I have some questions and would love to sit down and have a beer (soda) with him.

I didn't know or don't recall clay.

Danny. Know THAT rings a bell. I remember a skinny kid about 17 (i was 14 ) in 1973 that was junior staff. I think he helped strip search me.

Offline marcwordsmith

• View Profile
    • http://www.marcwordsmith.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2002, 02:14:00 AM »
Thanks, Greg. That was interesting information. I have a feeling Clay was only there briefly; he was so unusual. As for Danny, he must have been before your time, because he was gone before I was, and I was "off my program" in March 1973.

Offline surfdal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »
i vaugly remember him
kinda tall and quiet maybe?...as a newcomer i had to live w/ rick burtain..a real fuggin asshole..another one i really disliked intensly was david reiser. some of those people were so arrogant
opulater

Offline girlwithoutbarcode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »
Wow, it blows my mind to see all of your posts refer to the 70's and that the sickness of the program was going on even back then.  I was born in March of 1973, and in 1988, was in Kids of Bergen County (North JErsey) under director and dictatorship of "Dr." Miller Newton and his lovely wife Ruth Ann.  I thought it was and 80's fad to run a cult, who knew how long this had really been going on.  I'm glad it's over for you all.
ids of BC 1988-1990

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »
Its not over until  they stop, and I just went to a open meeting at a Seed/straight descendent several months ago.

The nightmare continues.

When an innocent Californian millionaire gets killed by a drug squad
trying to seize his house with a bogus search warrant, people better ask themselves if they really want to turn their cops into money-makers.
--Vancouver Police Const. Gil Puder

Offline Razor Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 04:01:00 PM »
I just found this web board and I am amazed! It brings back a lot of bad memories. I was in Lauderdale in 73 and was with  the first group to open St Pete.  I have some stories to tell!

Does anyone remember Tommy Mayor (or Maier)?  He looked and dressed like Elvis.  He made me his personal project after I ran away.  Screw you, Tommy.

I will write my story soon.

Razor Boy

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »
Welcome!  You may remember me and my sister frieda and my step siblings Mark and Shirley if you were in the original seed St Pete. Anyway, post your story and welcome!

Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By  any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within the supervised routine of medical care.
http://www.masscann.org/quotes.htm' target='_new'>Administrative Law Judge, Francis Young,  DOJ/DEA

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »
Hey there! Remmember any McNultys? I was the little blond girl, bored to tears, sitting on the parents' side every week, choking on all the smoke.

The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.
-- Patrick Henry

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »
I remember Suzie, Ann, Darlene (little redhead--I think she and Suzie had it goin' on together--haha), John Underwood, Janice (jr. staff), and a few others. I was in the St. Pete Seed 1974, and agree that it screwed me royally these past 29 years--I can't believe it's been that long! I unlearned love and unlearned how to respect people there. Am finally learning how to be a whole person at age 43.

The idea behind the place is good--for ADULTS who have REAL drug problems; not for BABIES of 13 and 14 who smoked POT and experimented. Jeez it makes me angry thinking of the whole thing, and learning what was behind it all (money, politics, MONEY, POLITICS, CRAP!!!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »
I remember Suzie, Ann, Darlene (little redhead--I think she and Suzie had it goin' on together--haha), John Underwood, Janice (jr. staff), and a few others. I was in the St. Pete Seed 1974, and agree that it screwed me royally these past 29 years--I can't believe it's been that long! I unlearned love and unlearned how to respect people there. Am finally learning how to be a whole person at age 43.

The idea behind the place is good--for ADULTS who have REAL drug problems; not for BABIES of 13 and 14 who smoked POT and experimented. Jeez it makes me angry thinking of the whole thing, and learning what was behind it all (money, politics, MONEY, POLITICS, CRAP!!!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 11:23:00 PM »
Anyone remember that real tall black guy name Arthur ?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2003, 10:01:00 AM »
Of course, who could ever forget arthur and his stories of ghetto life and cars held together with coat hangers.

Arthur quit the seed while I was there.  We were in together. Email me your name at [email protected] if you don't want to post it here.

The idea of the Seed, By the way, was/is wrong for everyone. Adults don't respond any better to brainwashing techniques than children do. It is a failed modality.

It is the absolute right of the state to supervise the formation of public opinion.

--Joseph Goebbels

Offline surfdal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »
in retrospect ,i dont recall ANY black people in the seed...'71-'72... guess i assumed that the black kids parents werent being duped by whiteys shit and the adult black users in court just went to prison while some white junkies were deemed worth rehabing?... hmmm seed as racist.. interesting aspect...
opulater