Author Topic: Didn't we all used to be friends?  (Read 22080 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Didn't we all used to be friends?
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »
Oh my god anon above me, did you forget your prozac this morning???  people can say what they want, if you don't like it, don't read it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »
People can say whatever I agree...but as well to them if they can't be consistant about what they are saying they need don't need to say anything at all. it's like they just want to write for the hell of it...it's like adults trying to explain things to little kids.

and no I'm not on prozac..i wish I was..lol, but seriously don't make that type of comment cause there was no need for that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »
You were irrationally angry, typing in CAPS LOCK, and ranting on and on about why people shouldn't be talking about food.  it was just silly... why did you even make that comment to begin with.  it's not like anyone was attacking you personally.  sure, the topic of this forum is something about being friends, but the food issue came up and people had their stories to share.  just like in all the other forums, people sharing their personal experiences.  people like to talk about themselves, as i'm sure you do.  maybe you didn't think food was a big deal there, but apparently they did!!  the prozac comment wasn't meant to be mean, i was being sarcastic and sorry if you took offense.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »
Honestly I got a mad for a minute and felt the need to just explode.  :flame:   I feel better now. I need a therapist. lol :roll:

Offline Clymerchick

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
Ok to clear up the confusion on where I stand on MMS the reality is that I think there are good and bad things about MMS.
Pro... made good friends
Con... had to be "friends" with people whom you didn't particularly like.
Pro... we were forced to work hard to estabish good work ethics.
Con... it sucked, we got hungry, and we were sometimes cold.
Pro... we got help for specific issues that plagued us
Con... we had to bear extra issues (like addictions) for the greater good of the group.
Pro... honesty within friendships
Con... sometimes you had to rat them out
Now I could go on like this forever, but that would be a little excessive and boring to read I'm sure.

Basically some stuff sucked there, maybe it can be changed, but they run the risk of lowering their productivity of helping the girls. I don't agree with all the phase stuff that was implamented to make you like an MMS robot, but I do agree with the intention of the program. Picking on silly things that may have happened once while I was there just seems like another one of those stupid american things. No offense, but political correctness is incedibly important here, and anything that sets someone off their rocker creates a whole revolution. Anyway, I'm having a hard time articulating what I really mean by that, but regardless, it doesn't all seem like that big of a deal to me.

If you think the program was abusive, it is clear it wasn't the right place for you. In all honesty and sincerity if you are claiming that MMS has scarred you for life and you have been permanently traumantized by it, you definatly needed a place that could help you more emotionally. I'm not saying that to be mean or spiteful or anything to the same likeness, it is the truth. The stuff that went on at MMS was hard at times, and maybe there were times when innapropriate things occured, but they were few and far between. It is hard to walk the thin line between abuse and athority when dealing with emotionally troubled teens. If you really feel that hurt by MMS that it has ruined your life, you must have many current issues still controling your life and you should have gone to a more intensley theraputic program with less emphasis on self discovery and spirituality. Perhaps this isn't the case though, and you are fighting because you are angry and don't want other girls to go through what you did. Totally valid.

a·buse     P   Pronunciation Key  (-byz)
tr.v. a·bused, a·bus·ing, a·bus·es
To use wrongly or improperly; misuse: abuse alcohol; abuse a privilege.
To hurt or injure by maltreatment; ill-use.
To force sexual activity on; rape or molest.
To assail with contemptuous, coarse, or insulting words; revile.
Obsolete. To deceive or trick.

Just thought I might throw that in there. People were never hit or molested at MMS. Food was never taken away as punishment (it may have changed because of the environment). Holding our pee was an issue of respect, taken too far sometimes, but not constituting a lawsuit. Girls were yelled at, but only with the hopes of helping them, or out of anger that any human would feel if they were upset by something we did. My ed consultant yelled at me and told me I was a three year old, am I going to sue him for abuse?

Yes, we did lead most of our time there in fear of getting in trouble, and I DON'T THINK THAT'S RIGHT, but it's NOT abuse. Yes, John was late a lot and made us wait for silly amounts of time but that's not abuse.

Look, MMS has tons of flaws. Where there is a good point, there is a bad point to combat it and that's just the way it is. There were quite a few things that really sucked about the school, but we got to play soccer and ski and learn and make friends. Emotionally MMS helped me grow up, learn how to deal with difficult people, have patience, and most of all, be understanding. I had to be an addict at the same time, say stuff about my friends that I didn't want to, but at the time I thought would help them. I had to eat fucking tomatoes and I hated that the most of all. When you look at it like that it all seems to slide into perspective. HOWEVER, this was my experience and I speak for the people that were there while I was (on a factual level of what I witnessed). I have heard "horror" stories from when people had to go on personal interventions and things like that. I'm sorry to the poeple that had to do that, but the school doesn't do things like that anymore (at least during my time there).

On a side note to Anon: I did come during the end of that intervention but (lucky me!) I got to stay through two other interventions while I was there. One was a "retreat" of sorts when we remodeled or refurnished the campus. We took everything out of the rooms and repainted the cabins inside, re wall papered them. It was about cleaning up our lives. Each night we slept down in the group house together. It wasn't for fun, it was a punishment because a bunch of people were depressed and being stupid by bringing other people down but John brought us all flowers and each a single rose afterwards to "bring the color and life back to the campus" because we had worked so hard. It was quite sweet. Anyway, the other intervention was the shittiest thing in the world and could be the only thing that we did while I was there that even comes close to abuse. We went on intervention in the winter (-13 degrees at some points), slept in tents, cleared brush and made gigantic burn piles all day. Then we would move the burn pile somewehere else etc. We got really hungry so we got extra food. It was no longer a ladel of ravioli, but like a ladel and a half. We got two rolls and salad. It wasn't so bad. I did have freezing feet at some points and lost the feeling in my toes a lot. Thank god it was a huge motivator for people to get back on track. Anyway, we almost didn't get to go on our home visits, but then people pulled through in time for us to go and I was so happy I got to go home and get away from that intervention. When I came back three weeks later they were back on campus. That whole thing was the absolute worst experience that I had while I was there, but in all reality some of the girls really deserved it because they were being entitled, bratty, pieces of crap that needed a wake up call. It worked though. Anyway... I HAVE experienced a very shitty intervention. Still doesn't mean I think it was abuse, but I do think it could have been done an alternate way. Who Knows maybe it couldn't have.

So I can't think of anything else to say other than we all need to stop generalizing. I had a curfew when I came back from MMS and I had to be home by ten thirty. I came home really late once because I was having a really bad day and I popped a tire etc. etc. My mom always brought that up when she would talk to me about being late. I was barely ever late but she would always say "You are always late!" I hated that because it wasn't true that I was always late. One thing can come back and bite you in the ass, but it doesn't actually mean it happens all the time. Maybe MMS has made a few mistakes and made a few girl's lives crappy, but don't say that everything is bad just because one thing was. I was genuinly happy while I was there. It's so immature and pointless to pick on this stuff. Where do you guys think you're going to go with this all anyway? The lawsuit? Is that really going to make you happy?

Think about it....
o matter what a person says, decent respect is all that I expect of eachother and myself. Lets be nice! \":)\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »
I think if you were to hear my story you would know why I feel the way I do. But I am sorry I can not reveal myself. and I am sorry I can not fully explain myself either because in telling my story it would be obvious for people to know who I am. I like the way you described things, but in some ways you make us out-(US as in the ones who are planning a lawsuit)to be dishonest and childsish. We are all women and its been many years down the road since we've been to MMS, there is no reason why we would make these accusations unless they were genuwine.
We are not picking at the school for no reason like we were princesess and deserved perfect therapy...it's nothing close to that. I believe that we needed some punishments at times, but sometimes it was taken too far. I am glad that the school helped you, you got the money's worth! but some of us it made us worse and extremely confussed, and that's an awful feeling. I don't know what else to say...i feel like I have to keep on explaining myself over and over..
 someone <<<>>>>>>>how can I make it clear to everyone?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2005, 01:03:00 AM »
to the chica i made the prozac comment to... :smile: i apologize and i totally understand where you're coming from.  sometimes i just explode too... i suppose i still need therapy too!

much love.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2005, 01:08:00 AM »
to anon who can't reveal herself... i don't exactly understand why not... i mean, if you truly beleive what you say, then you should feel comfortable with who you are and other people knowing.  besdies, if there IS a lawsuit, i'm pretty sure you can't remain completely anonymous.  i'm not trying to rag on you, i åm just curious.  and yes, we are all grown women now, and i don't think you would "make stuff up" but... the school really has changed and i don't think filing a lawsuit to get it shut down or whatever will really help?  or what do you expect to come from a lawsuit?  do you want to reinvolve all those staff who aren't even at the school anymore?  i don't know, i understand that it's really important to you, i just dno't want you or anyone else to get more hurt because of it.

Offline Clymerchick

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2005, 04:29:00 AM »
To the anon who can't reveal herself,

You are the first person that I have seen who is involved in the lawsuit to actually have level headed response to what I said. Thank you for reading what I had to say and I hope that you may find some resolution through your actions. I truly am sorry that you had the experience you did... but like the girl above just said, what is it that you are trying to acheive from the lawsuit?

I do also agree that all th anonymous people should either reveal themselves or always sign with a nickname. I had the balls to put my name out there. Anyone who reads this can have my name.

My name is Jessamine McLellan and I'm not afraid to say what I think whether you agree with me or disagree is regardless. What are you guys afraid of?
o matter what a person says, decent respect is all that I expect of eachother and myself. Lets be nice! \":)\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
I'm mostly afraid because a lot of the girls I know still go there. I don't want the school to think I'm a bad influence on them, and I don't want to influence them about this issue at all. Also a lot of girls who write violently about how good the school was were friends of mine too. I guess I just don't want anything to change the relationships I have with girls there, out of there, and staff there. However, if there is a lawsuit, I think I would put my fears aside, because that is a bad place overall, regardless of the friendships I have through it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »
By the way, the one abave was from me and not the girl who said she could not reveal herself a few posts ago.

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »
wow...all these anon...are confusing me too...but I am the anon who said I can't reveal myself..and joked about the prozac when I felt offended...anyway...

I posted this in another Topic , but I feel as though  I need to post it again, in case you miss it. It might help you understand me a little more.
tell me what you thin! thank you for listening even though we do not fully agree with everything.

I have a very decent life. I am very honest and aware of who I am today. But In my previous life, even before MMS I was not happy. I was abused, physically, sexually, emotinally, verbally, you name it. When I was sent to MMS I was supposed to get the proper attention and care for the pain that I had been through my entire life. I was extremely traumatized, and vulnerable.I needed understanding. I needed love and attention. I was only 14 years old. My case was extra sensitive, but it made me no more special than anyone. Instead of being understood I was told that I was in complete self-pity. I had been molested and I was told that I was a sex addict. I was abandoned, and I was told that I was ungrateful (because I had been adopted). I was confused, and I was told that I was manipulative.
I was hurting, and I was told that I was fine.
I was angry, and I was told that I was attention seeking.
There were only about 30 girls there at the time, and I felt like I was always kicked to the side. It was not my job to beg someone to do therapy on me. I was there because they were the therapists or mentors, and I was their client. I was not an adult...I was a little child not even fully developed why should have the waited for me to "step up"..it had been the whole reason why I was sent there in the first place.

I can understand that Mission mountain school might not have been the place for a child with my case....but Mission Mountain School, if it is proffesional, why didn't they just tell my parents that they couln't help me? That they didn't know how to help me? Instead I was labeled a sex addict, an alcoholic, even a drug addict?
I am none of these things..I was mis-diagnosed, and I applied myself to all the "Medications" (as in AA, SLAA, NA meeting..even working all the 12 steps!) So when leaving MMS my problems were maily these false addictions that I had, and my true pain was never really dealt with. Do you want to know the simplest way I fixed myself? One day I just decided that God would set things straight..and I did not need to keep on analyzing over and over to detail. There was no point anymore, and that the simplest thing. MMS made me feel insane...as if I was not going to make it in the world. They made me feel like I was an alien. As if I was going to be paralized my entire life.
You know how it would feel if a doctor makes a mistake and tells you you need all these medications to survive, and make sure not to go here and there, and you need to attend all these classes, and deprive yourself of this and that, and tippy toe every where you go because you might die..and then you realize that your real treatment could have been a simple shot on the arm. You feel like a dumbass for ever believing such a dumb doctor, who just wanted to make you do all these things to benefit himself ..., and ofcourse you still hold that grudge years and years after.....well thats how I feel...
et God do the judging.

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
oh yeah and about the lawsuit..I feel that the doctor needs to give me my money back so I can put it to better use...and needs to change his ways of analyzing and misdiagnosing people in order to help young women trully get help with what they need, and that is my mission...or else he needs to get his butty out of the school.
et God do the judging.

Offline Clymerchick

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »
I think that what you had to say about your experience was well articulated and I am appreciative of your level headed honesty. I'm sorry that MMS wasn't the right place for you and I do agree that they are very bad at humbling themselves and just admitting that they are not the right institute for someone. While you are there you are made to believe that MMS should work for you and there is something wrong with you if you have to leave on bad terms. Sometimes terms really were bad, other times it just wasn't the right place and they had go but made it seem as though they were bad. Remember the "lockdown talk"? The other thing along those lines is that there is no possible way to ever raise a serious complaint or concern about the school while you are there. If you ask your parents then you are being manipulative and self serving, if you did it while you are there you could be slapped with any sort of psycho babble lable for it. That is something that should be changed. Those two things are the only two real issues that I have with MMS, but neither of them consitute being called abuse. They were just the way it was, both not a big deal then, and not a big deal now.

I guess if it's regulations you are after with the lawsuit then that may fix these two issues, but the money thing... I don't know how I feel about that yet. Although I am rather anti materialistic and so lagre amounts of money make me want to vomit, I don't know if money is really the issue. Basically, if money is the primary motive I don't think your hearts are in the right place.

Jessamine

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2005, 02:55:00 AM »
Perhaps the result of the suit could be that John and Colleen had to shovel their own horse shit and take care of their own property, unload their own hay. That would be a good start,haha.