Author Topic: ABC Brat Camp  (Read 36762 times)

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »
If anyone has the stomach to watch this show please list the advertisers sponsoring the show with commericals. I think if enough of us protest to the advertisers it may help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »
I keep flipping back to this show for some reason. It's like watching a train wreck. I think the main problem that should be addressed is the root cause of these kids' problems. If they're misbehaving, doing drugs, being violent, etc. its probably being caused by outside influences. So they'll "break them down" and brainwash them to be good little citizens who don't question authority, then send them back to emotionally and or physically abusive situations at home, where they will now quietly sit and take the abuse rather than fighting back. "Respect" was a word I've heard several times on this show already. Respect must be earned, not demanded, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a lesson in respect themselves. Where's the "crappy parents camp" for these kids' families? This one-sided approach to a systemic problem with our society makes me sick.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
On 2005-07-13 18:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I keep flipping back to this show for some reason. It's like watching a train wreck. I think the main problem that should be addressed is the root cause of these kids' problems. If they're misbehaving, doing drugs, being violent, etc. its probably being caused by outside influences. So they'll "break them down" and brainwash them to be good little citizens who don't question authority, then send them back to emotionally and or physically abusive situations at home, where they will now quietly sit and take the abuse rather than fighting back. "Respect" was a word I've heard several times on this show already. Respect must be earned, not demanded, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a lesson in respect themselves. Where's the "crappy parents camp" for these kids' families? This one-sided approach to a systemic problem with our society makes me sick."

Spoken like a true BRAT.  lol
  So, because the world is full of assholes, and so much dysfunction, no one should do anything and let kids do whatever they want, and learn nothing?
   I think these kids EARNED their camp, and they can get something out of it that can HELP them.  Go ABC!

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 10:29:00 PM »
Besides the fact that I do not support those types of places, it's cruel and unusual punishment to be placed on TV in a place against their will.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 11:11:00 PM »
This is just stupid. The fact these parents goes on tv shows how fucking easily manipulated they are. If they were serious about solving their family issues, they wouldn't call a fucking tv show. pathetic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2005, 02:13:00 AM »
I just want to say, I watched 3 quarters of the first show (my tape didn't record the whole thing :sad: ) and I have to say I would have gotten a lot out of going to this thing back when I was a child, and my parents would have too.

Nevertheless, my parents made me go to 'camp' and it was very similar to this, except we were pampered and it was a sleep over camp, so we had tents, did hikes, and did everything for ourselves...

I think parents should also watch this show because they can learn how to speak to their children properly.

I wish I could have watched the whole thing. Or at least see if I could tell one of the little girls was telling the truth about her ?cocaine use?. I find this to be a very enlightening documentary.

Good job!

Any idea if they are going to be repeating it on CBC?

Are there any upcoming projects? Perhaps an update with the kids?

I am an independent filmmaker myself, and seeing this kind of television gives inspiration to getting more down to earth programming for children to grow and learn from.

Enough of this mtv brainwashing hog-wash!

Cheers!
Lisa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2005, 02:59:00 AM »
On 2005-07-13 23:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I just want to say, I watched 3 quarters of the first show (my tape didn't record the whole thing :sad: ) and I have to say I would have gotten a lot out of going to this thing back when I was a child, and my parents would have too.

Nevertheless, my parents made me go to 'camp' and it was very similar to this, except we were pampered and it was a sleep over camp, so we had tents, did hikes, and did everything for ourselves...

I think parents should also watch this show because they can learn how to speak to their children properly.

I wish I could have watched the whole thing. Or at least see if I could tell one of the little girls was telling the truth about her ?cocaine use?. I find this to be a very enlightening documentary.

Good job!

I am an independent filmmaker myself, and seeing this kind of television gives inspiration to getting more down to earth programming for children to grow and learn from.

Cheers!

Lisa Dyment

"

I suggest you read some more about what's going on in places like Sagewalk when there are no cameras around.

By the way-- having kids sleep in tents outside in heavy snow and low temperatures in not "therapeutic". It's negliegence.

Why should these kids be forced not only to stay at a place where they are obviously not cared for, but to broadcast their personal lives to the entire world in addition?

Just look at the title to realize the way these children are thought of. In the eyes of Sagewalk, ABC, and now people like you who support this shit, these kids are not people who have had some problems and difficulties as a result of their past/relationship with parents/ADD/etc. Hell no. These kids are a bunch of goddamn brats who should be dealt a dose of "tough love", the tougher the better.

Shows like this are not only cruel and disturbing, they also give many more small-brained parents the idea that some program can 'save" their child. Which means more children at risk for abuse and neglect, which is a part of the system and a routine in places like Sagewalk.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
The "Earth Names" thing was really retarded---maybe there's more to it though, than just stupid New Agery--maybe they realize the kids will be pissed later on and don't want to be easily identified and tracked down. [Miller and Ruth Ann Newton can be contacted at (727)392-3437]

The whole group of kids seemed to have lame, lazy, ineffective parents who couldn't deal with normal adolescent rebellion and teen angst. I felt particularly bad for the girl who was molested by a family friend years prior---it's like she's being punished for it (blame the victim, anyone?).

It is truly disgusting and indicative of our fucked up culture that this is being marketed as "entertainment". Probably the beginning of some social engineering expirament to make this type of shit more palatable to the population at large---"Straight--it's not just for druggies anymore".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »
On 2005-07-13 23:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-07-13 23:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I just want to say, I watched 3 quarters of the first show (my tape didn't record the whole thing :sad: ) and I have to say I would have gotten a lot out of going to this thing back when I was a child, and my parents would have too.

Good job!

Cheers!

Lisa Dyment

"

I suggest you read some more about what's going on in places like Sagewalk when there are no cameras around.

By the way-- having kids sleep in tents outside in heavy snow and low temperatures in not "therapeutic". It's negliegence.

Why should these kids be forced not only to stay at a place where they are obviously not cared for, but to broadcast their personal lives to the entire world in addition?

Just look at the title to realize the way these children are thought of. In the eyes of Sagewalk, ABC, and now people like you who support this shit, these kids are not people who have had some problems and difficulties as a result of their past/relationship with parents/ADD/etc. Hell no. These kids are a bunch of goddamn brats who should be dealt a dose of "tough love", the tougher the better.

Shows like this are not only cruel and disturbing, they also give many more small-brained parents the idea that some program can 'save" their child. Which means more children at risk for abuse and neglect, which is a part of the system and a routine in places like Sagewalk."

I agree.

The moralistic undertones of the show made me want to gag.

And how 'bout those field counselors?  I wouldn't hike across the street with any of them.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
As a boy scout I can stand up and say they would not be trusted with the youth of my troop, they dont know how to camp, and if they were with our troop their tents would most likely be set on fire, or... well... lets just say boy scouts know well how to use their knifes.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »
On 2005-07-13 18:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I keep flipping back to this show for some reason. It's like watching a train wreck. I think the main problem that should be addressed is the root cause of these kids' problems. If they're misbehaving, doing drugs, being violent, etc. its probably being caused by outside influences. So they'll "break them down" and brainwash them to be good little citizens who don't question authority, then send them back to emotionally and or physically abusive situations at home, where they will now quietly sit and take the abuse rather than fighting back. "Respect" was a word I've heard several times on this show already. Respect must be earned, not demanded, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a lesson in respect themselves. Where's the "crappy parents camp" for these kids' families? This one-sided approach to a systemic problem with our society makes me sick."

EXACTLY my thoughts. They are trying to force the kids to have no thoughts or emotion, just accept whatever the problem was that led to them acting out. But what about the parents?? They are at LEAST 50% of the problem here, and instead of being encouraged to unload all their negative emotions onto their kids, they should take a good look at their own attitudes. Not to mention that they all lied to the kids to get them there!! Who's the liar? They should say "LIAR" under each parent whenever they talk. Or "SADIST" under each of the "psychologists" as they were called, although only one was, because they just told them they were lied to, waited until they startd crying and then left. What a load of crap! This is far from being a documentary BTW. A freaking infomercial more like it.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
I would love to see the kids rise up in later episodes and kill the guides then the phycs... ::smiles, but the fantasy will never come true::... but anyway, truely these people deserve to have their families raped infront of them them they diserve to be killed slowly.

:smile:  :grin:

::feels better now::

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »
I went to Red Cliff and it changed my life.  I don't think it's right to bad mouth something you have never done!

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2005, 12:09:00 PM »
Oh your absolutely right, I shouldent bad mouth what Hitler did, I have never killed a jew, maybe its fun? Maybe I'll never know...

:evil:  :evil:

Idiot, you dont have to be gang raped to find out its bad. I dont need to go to your camp to find out its bad either.

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »
On 2005-07-14 09:09:00, OverLordd wrote:

"Oh your absolutely right, I shouldent bad mouth what Hitler did, I have never killed a jew, maybe its fun? Maybe I'll never know...

:evil:  :evil:

Idiot, you dont have to be gang raped to find out its bad. I dont need to go to your camp to find out its bad either."

Agreed. :tup: