Author Topic: Computer encryption and security links  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Computer encryption and security links
« on: December 02, 2002, 11:44:00 PM »
Well, between the ongoing suspension of the constitution, and some of our collegues here on the board rattling cages of powerfull folks (see recent post "read now"), I thought I might send a few links of use.  Want a black hole in your harddrive.  You can do that.  Want secure email between straightlings to help hang the bad guys without being snooped upon?  You can do that.  

I hope somebody finds something usefull here.  

PGP has good reputation.

Clay, or other techies want to weigh in?  Have experience with scramdisk??  http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/resources.html

Bill

[ This Message was edited by: tampa survivor on 2002-12-02 20:46 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 08:41:00 AM »
Try PGP. Stands for Pretty Good Privacy. Uses a 512 Bit encryption model with public and private keys. I know I can send ACH transfers to Bank of America with it. Has a plug in to email, you can specify differing encryption schemes and has a secure delete option. This would take NSA working on it continuously for several months to crack depending on your key. The longer the better! Best of all it's FREE!

CL

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 05:23:00 PM »
I got a large hard drive from an office, has 10 GB of space, works, but has UNIX. How can we safely wipe it? We want to install WIN ME on it for personal use in a recycled PC. Anyone out here know? Please? MG8

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 06:20:00 PM »
Never worked w/ unix bill, but that don't matter..What you need to do first is to make yourself a 98 startup disk (floppy) & boot to that. Run Fdisk to delete any existing partitions then create a new partition. Then run format c: and restart. Boot to your 98 startup again.
Then pop in your ME installation disk (CD) change your drive letter to whatever your CD-ROM drive is (ex. D:) and run 'setup.exe.' (If you're using a QuickRestore disk for ME, you can prolly skip the 98startup, etc..., as it will most likely do all that for you...)
Hope this helps, FR13

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2002, 11:30:00 PM »
Because 98 can have a hard time reading the partition table (I have had that problem with 98's fdisk program using a drive that has be partitioned by Unix) it may not be able to re-partition the drive, however, if you go the the manufactures website you can downloace a copy of their utils disk and do a lowlevel format on the drive which will wipe out all partition information and make it like it came from the box. Then you can use what ever startup disk/fdisk program you want to deal with creating new partitions. Also beside the manufactures lowlevel format, of you have a copy of partition magic, that should take care of it too.