Author Topic: To All Straight Survivors  (Read 11644 times)

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
To All Straight Survivors
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2002, 09:17:00 AM »
OK anonymous, but at least we have evolved enough to place a name on our existence. What genus of creature are you?
Not to sound too straightlike, but BE SPECIFIC. What about this forum appears to be going downhill? Why are you able to describe us as being other than human while you have no face?
 When dealing with survivors of bad cults, it is entirely possible that the victims, including myself, could have had their minds altered to the point where normal thoughts are unable to be processed. I have researched brainwashing enough to know that it can take up to 20 or more years to wear off. In the meantime anonymous, I would suggest placing a face of some type on your existence in this forum, otherwise, your statements may become moot points floating in cyberspace. I think it's time for a brake job, that's an awfully long hill up ahead!   MG8
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2002, 06:19:00 PM »
Oh master let me bend down and kiss your shoes. I will work on being human for the sake of your reccomendation. Thanks for the insight its been real pleasuralble. Oh, by the way keep up the good work.

Offline LIFE 82

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2002, 07:39:00 PM »
I realized it at Buchanwald Concentration Camp,humans do terrible things to other humans,especialy when they are being human.Its my human gets me blues.

Offline LIFE 82

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2002, 07:40:00 PM »
I realized it at Buchanwald Concentration Camp,humans do terrible things to other humans,especialy when they are being human.Its my human gets me blues.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2002, 10:10:00 PM »
Hey I happen to like Antigen and her posts.  I do not think that she is not compassionate.  I get the impression that she is more intellectual than sentimental.  That is equally valid.  Golden Retriever vs. German Shepherd.

And I also enjoyed dreammagician's post in this thread, and probably others by the same too although I can't remember specifically.

Offline Bitchizbak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2002, 10:18:00 PM »
I cannot believe that there are people out there who condone the words expressed here on this forum. Such a shame that there are people out there who are still stuck in the same mentality that was brainwashed into us in Straight. I see more and more of it every time I read this shit.
Bill, you think you are right about everything.
Antigen, you set up a site that is nothing more than a "years later" excuse to execute the same torment that we all suffered in that place........
Dream....who is it that you are bowing down to to kiss their shoes? Did you not do enough of that in Straight?
Gawds... this place is a cult within itself.

Offline the other anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2002, 10:35:00 PM »
I'm confused.  What is everyone so upset about?  I thought this whole thread was particularly lovely -- started with some very insightful comments including the rape analogy, then others chimed in each with their own perspective.  I looked back at Antigen and dreammagician's posts -- so they are mad at their families -- what is the big deal?  No one can express anger here?  What is this about Lord of the Flies and this forum going downhill and all that?  

The thing I noticed a while back is that people will get harsh on this board from time to time.  Luckily, one can simply hit the x at the top right hand corner of the screen and POOF! everyone goes away and one can pleasantly resume with teatime.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2002, 11:17:00 PM »
Bitchonourback said " Bill, you think you are right about everything.

Antigen, you set up a site that is nothing more than a "years later" excuse to execute the same torment that we all suffered in that place........

Dream....who is it that you are bowing down to to kiss their shoes? Did you not do enough of that in Straight?

Gawds... this place is a cult within itself." ENDQUOTE

Well, a little flaming troll with a new post name. You probably one of those who have 4 different AOL names/personalities for your chatroom life...."Hi, I'm cute and rich but sitting here IMing....

Okay, you hack on Ginger, stupid move.  I respect her words, especially when I disagree with them, proving you wrong on your attempted rip on me.  

Yes, I AM RIGHT alot. Or at least I think so. Does that BOTHER you?  Does it hurt your FEELINGS. Post something other than flaming shit, and I will gladly discuss it. More than one person has seen me mea culpa here...maybe you haven't been around long enough to know.

Finally, you rip Jeff for bowing down.  Well, that's RICH. CAN YOU NOT SEE SARCASM WHEN YOU SEE IT?  DUH.  Jeff and I were in St Pete together in 1981...bowing down was not his thing, but THINKING was and it led to him being seriously screwed with by the program.  

Please engage your brain before you jam your mouth in gear next time.

Bill

12/80-12/82

St Pete & Atlanta  

[ This Message was edited by: tampa survivor on 2002-10-28 14:05 ]
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2002, 01:50:00 PM »
It is my opinion that people, in the course of their lives, will disagree with others around them. From time to time. What straight took from me was my ability to form my own opinions and, with normal trail and error, my own moral code. Today, I have my OWN moral code. It was formed through my OWN life experiences. I have my OWN opinions which I feel no need to constrain. That people disagree with me, in my opinion is their problem. They are entitled to their opinions however misguided they may be.

This site has reminded me of many things I had forgotten. It has given me the opportunity to deal with and put these issues away. I don't find everything I read here useful, informative, or something I had to know. Like most everyone else, I like to tell the war stories. I would not call this "living in the past," I call them good stories.

In short, opinions are like asshole, every one has one and most of them stink.

CL

[ This Message was edited by: ClayL on 2002-10-28 13:26 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2002, 07:38:00 PM »
Shane's post really made me think. You know, there were actually people who came to Straight because they wanted help. These were mostly older adolescents/young adults. I suppose I was one of them. Of course, when I tried to sign out, I was lied to about being court-ordered, but still, I had screwed things up pretty badly for myself and had hurt my family deeply. I don't think I deserved to spend 14 months in Straight, but I'm not sure my parents felt they had any other options. I can't fault them for that, no matter how upset it makes me that they still have their old friends from Straight and think Straight saved my life. I know better than that. I was too old to misbehave, although I tried it once. After 5 months on 1st phase, I guess I conformed because I, too, wanted out. Conformity is a complex concept because it implies acting in accordance with the standards of a particular group. Depending on which group you identified with, the "group-at-large", or the misbehavers, pretty much everybody  conformed in one way or another. We all conform still--otherwise, we wouldn't work, wouldn't vote, wouldn't follow rules, etc.                                           For those of you who despise ex-staff and anyone who worked the program, all I can say is, good luck with the anti-Straight movement. I think you may lose some valuabe support for the cause. The majority of the former staff who've posted on this site have taken responsibility for their actions, yet come away relentlessly criticized and judged.
  I think this "rivalry" between those who split &/or misbehaved and those who didn't is juvenile and a real waste of time and energy. Yeah, it's amusing sometimes to rehash the stories of the past, but I think it's infinitely more interesting and stimulating to hear how people are working through the problems which still interfere with life today. That's progress. Everyone deserves to progress with their lives. Every one of us was victimized in some way; we all shoulder the burden of Straight's legacy. None of us has the right to attempt to quantify another's pain.
  Another thing that is troublesome has been the allusions to the Nazi party and concentration camps. It is offensive, inappropriate and irresponsible to compare what happened in Straight with the mass genocide which occurred in Eastern Europe. Those of us who actually lost family or have personal friends who survived the camps know this is true. You cannot understand this by merely visiting a camp.
  I do think that most people who stumble onto this website are looking for answers or are trying to make sense out of the past. Does it bother anyone else that the personal attacks which occur here may push someone over the edge? There's a lot of talk about the Straight suicides of the past...how is this scenario any different? Yeah, it's easy to say, "Well, just quit visiting this site." My question is, was Pandora able to close her box?

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2002, 07:41:00 PM »
That last post was by me--I forgot to log in.
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2002, 08:23:00 PM »
Don't blame the players blamme the game !!!

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2002, 08:50:00 PM »
Hedwigfan wrote: Another thing that is troublesome has been the allusions to the Nazi party and concentration camps. It is offensive, inappropriate and irresponsible to compare what happened in Straight with the mass genocide which occurred in Eastern Europe. ENDQUOTE
Kris, I am sorry that you may have gotten that impression when I stated the fact that we have prosecuted simple Nazi guards 55 years later for war crimes and ruined their lives for something they did when "everybody else" was doing it a long time ago. This was in context to should former staff be off the hook today just because they "went along". The Jews rightly hunted their tormentors after the war to all corners of the globe to stand trial in Nuremburg, and subsequently elsewhere, perfecting the "we don't care HOW long it has been prosecution".
I feel sorry for the gypsies, other minorities, and Jews who fell to Hitler.  Stalins purges were at least 4x deadlier and as vile.  Today in Sharon's Israel/former Palestine it continues.
China is its own basket case as well as most of Africa.
Straight compares only in that it was tyranny.  I want to be clear on that.    
ALL TYRANNY IS BULLSHIT!
When one man forces another with coercion or force, to take his land or resist his mind, I abhor it.
As an MD or DO, you know that conformity is NOT the pathway to healthy behavioral/psychological healing.  
As for the anti-straight "movement", I will speak for ME:  as long as drug policy is influenced by the DFAF, and programs like SAFE, WWASP, and the Brown schools exist, WE as a society still have a problem. Coercion is NEVER the answer.
Anybody who agrees with that is on the same side as me.
Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2002, 09:47:00 PM »
You've taken what I said about conformity out of context.
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2002, 10:45:00 PM »
Sorry Kris...I re-read your post and I think that I get that part now.  Punk rockers conform with other pink haired multi-stapled "non-conformists", etc.
It is complex. You are right; my vascillation between multiple rise up phase/split was much more complex and painful than a simple, consistent "I want out".
Am I getting it now?
Bill
PS anon....SEE THAT>>I SAID I AM SORRY AND KRIS WAS RIGHT. She is right.
Bill H
12/80-12/82