Author Topic: STORM RIDGE RANCH ??  (Read 46348 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« on: March 26, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »
Anybody?

Everybody's lost just waiting to be found. Everyone's a thought just waiting to fade.
-- Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »
Sounds like they've been reading complaints and critiques at Fornits. They're saying all the 'right' things:

Resident Rights
Residents have the right to confidentiality in both current and closed records. What happens in the home, or out of the home, will be kept private by staff and students.

Residents have the right to be treated with dignity, free from discrimination and coercion, and any type of treatment or intervention that is humiliating, forced physical exertion, or anything of a punitive fashion.

Residents have the right to voice a complaint or grievance without fear of reprisal on staffs part if they feel their rights have been violated.

Residents have the right to communicate by phone or mail to their family, caseworker, clergy, attorney, therapist, or physician.

Residents have the right to live in a clean, safe, and non-threatening environment with proper meals and clothing.

Residents have the right to receive medical and therapeutic services.

Residents have the right to be protected from potential harm or acts of violence by other residents or program staff.

Residents have the right of whether or not they choose to follow the rules of the program. Uh huh.

Residents have the right not to be physically or emotionally abused.  

"An integral part of the Storm Ridge Program is the involvement that the youth have with the ?Ranch? . The youth are expected to participate in the everyday running of the ranch including the care and upkeep of animals and livestock, horticultural activities, as well as general upkeep and mai"

Hmm.. guess that is maintenance? It just stops, mid word. Sounds like another ranch acquiring free labor from the kids, some apparently court ordered. Big on work ethic.
I found nothing on the director and owner
Richard and Mary Ann Larsen
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:2W ... h%22&hl=en

STORM RIDGE RANCH SCHOOL BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Mary Ann Larsen - Member
Doyle Cutter - Member
Larry Jones - Member
Helen W. Ingles  - Member

SCHOOL ADMINSTRATION AND STAFF
Trina Swalberg - School Administrator/Instructor
Brian Wood - Assistant Director/Training Coordinator
Myron A. Mickelson - Assistant Supervisor, YIC, Sevier School District
Steven Rosenswieg  - Instructor
Genevieve Rodriguez - Receptionist/Assistant Teacher
Malana Jenses  - Assistant Teacher
MaryAnn Larsen  - Program Director
Richard Larsen - Farm and Ranch Manager

INTRODUCTION - DESCRIBING THE PURPOSE OF THE VISIT, THE SELF-IMPROVEMENT PLAN, CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SCHOOL, AND OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE SCHOOL A team of two educators visited Storm Ridge Ranch, a special purpose school for boys aged 12-17, on November 6, 2003, to complete a site evaluation as part of the requirements for accreditation by the Northwest Association of Schools and of Colleges and Universities (NAAS) and the Utah State Office of Education (USOE).

Evidently, it's in candidacy for state and NAAS accredidation. Is that what they're advertising?

The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles.
--John Adams, U.S. President

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »
Who's International Student Loan Center?
http://www.internationalstudentloan.com ... ?locale=UT

Administrative Contact:
      Joe Cronin
      Joe Cronin
      15 Cottage Ave
      Quincy, MA 02169
      US
      Phone: 617-328-1565
      Email: http://www.edvisors.com/cgi/page.cgi?p=about

longish list of typeical troubled parent ads

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
--Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »
I s'pose the loan center is that. Saw that in my search but just figured they offered financing for parents who couldn't defraud their insurance or get funds from the school district. Noticed Whitmore was on the list of approved facilities.

Re: Accreditation
Academics Overview
Storm Ridge Ranch offers an on campus school that meets all the requirements for accreditation through the Northwest Accreditation Association.

Did the NAAS notice have a date on it? Technically, they haven't lied if they aren't currently accredited by stating only that they 'meet all the requirements'. I found no claim that they were accredited.

PS They are licensed as an RTC with DHS.

Woops... they do claim to be fully accredited:
Academic Staff
Storm Ridge has an on campus, fully accredited school staffed by licensed teachers..... http://www.stormridge.com/academic_%26_ ... _staff.htm

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2005-03-26 20:15 ][ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2005-03-26 20:46 ]
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline alternativa

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 12:48:00 AM »
Casa by the Sea was accredited by Northwest Accreditation Association. It is real accreditation, but I still say they'd accreditate a school of fish.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
Accreditation is strictly for the academic aspect of a program and as we have witnessed at Casa and other facilities, their monitoring must be lame, or they have very low standards.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »
On 2005-03-26 21:48:00, alternativa wrote:

"Casa by the Sea was accredited by Northwest Accreditation Association. It is real accreditation, but I still say they'd accreditate a school of fish."

Oh, that I know. I think they serve mostly homeschoolers and small independent church schools.

You don't get everything you want. A dictatorship would be a lot
easier.
--GW Büsh, Governor of Texas. Governing Magazine, 7/98

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »
On 2005-03-26 21:48:00, alternativa wrote:

"Casa by the Sea was accredited by Northwest Accreditation Association. It is real accreditation, but I still say they'd accreditate a school of fish."

That's hilarious.  I've got to use that one when I talk about Florida Association of Christian Child-Caring Agencies.  They accredit a school of fish holding Bibles, though.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »
I'm not finding much negative about this school.  One article from 1995 where two teens tried to escape, and one article from a few months ago where a writer (not sure what her position is) who denounces the place (but it sounds like she's denouncing RTCs in general, not specifically Storm Ridge).  Maybe it really is on the up-and-up?

Thoughts?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
DON'T SEND YOUR KID THERE!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
don't go there, i was a former student there, people that work there are ex-cons, and the place is in 2 trailers....my parents found out what was going on and transferred me to Sorensons, which is right down the road...much better place. i have seen some of the worst things in my lifetime happen there. please don't send your son there.

Offline aiea

• View Profile
Re: STORM RIDGE RANCH ??
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »
I have an in depth knowledge about Storm Ridge which includes the status of employee.  It is a legit operation licensed by the state of Utah however; I would never send my kids to their program.  Problems I see.  Owners:  they also serve as directors and overall control.  They do not have any specific or professional training in working with youth, they got started after being a proctor home.  When I worked there I was the only staff with professional training and a degree relevant to the work.  The therapy staff are contract therapist that come a few times a week, seldom do they ever provide more than 40 minutes with a youth.  The therapist themselves are qualified but there is not a therapeutic team with the staff.  Without more staff involvement, little can be done in therapy.  School is largely run by the owners daughter who does not have a degree or license to teach school.  I believe there is one qualified teacher that is on the list to qualify for a school.  Most kids claim the school is a joke and that the "teachers" are unable to help them understand the concepts because they don't know anything.  It is basically home study courses.  Some of the staff do well but overall they have no training in behavioral modification.  Their lack of professional training means they aren't effective.  Kids that succeed in the program either do it through manipulating staff or the kids would have shaped up on their own at home with some outpatient therapy.  The food is the worst quality I have ever seen, my dog would not eat the food, they claim it has been "approved" by a nutritionist.  The ranch aspect is a joke and every BLM/NFS (ranch uses federal land for grazing) employee who knows them have nothing good to say.  Only a select few get to actually work with the animals and the method of working with animals is inhumane (horse hoofs are never trimmed, use of chickens to beat the dogs, physically hitting to hurt the cows, poor care overall).  The horses they use are bought cheap at the auction and are not trained, especially for unskilled youth.  Many youth only get to ride 1-2 times their entire stay.  In the words of several youth, they are "very unprofessional".  Money...they do it all for money.  In staff meetings they have identified which kids parents have money and who doesn't.  The rich ones are targeted (set up) to have failures and stay longer, the ones out of money somehow quickly become ready to graduate.  Staff read and approve letters to home and listen to all personal phone calls to avoid any negative news to parents.  This outfit is unethical, unprofessional, and not trained.  It is too bad because they have a good set up and have the potential to be a good program.  Never trust them.  

I would suggest to only consider a program where the staff have professional degrees, the director /owner should be at the masters level, there should be licensed therapist that are integrated into the program.  Just my experience...

[I am not a disgruntled employee.  When I worked there they did not know all my qualifications.  I have over 20 yrs working with youth, trained clinical social worker -MSW, and have owned a few agencies working with youth.]

Offline aiea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
I have an in depth knowledge about Storm Ridge which includes the status of employee.  It is a legit operation licensed by the state of Utah however; I would never send my kids to their program.  Problems I see.  Owners:  they also serve as directors and overall control.  They do not have any specific or professional training in working with youth, they got started after being a proctor home.  When I worked there I was the only staff with professional training and a degree relevant to the work.  The therapy staff are contract therapist that come a few times a week, seldom do they ever provide more than 40 minutes with a youth.  The therapist themselves are qualified but there is not a therapeutic team with the staff.  Without more staff involvement, little can be done in therapy.  School is largely run by the owners daughter who does not have a degree or license to teach school.  I believe there is one qualified teacher that is on the list to qualify for a school.  Most kids claim the school is a joke and that the "teachers" are unable to help them understand the concepts because they don't know anything.  It is basically home study courses.  Some of the staff do well but overall they have no training in behavioral modification.  Their lack of professional training means they aren't effective.  Kids that succeed in the program either do it through manipulating staff or the kids would have shaped up on their own at home with some outpatient therapy.  The food is the worst quality I have ever seen, my dog would not eat the food, they claim it has been "approved" by a nutritionist.  The ranch aspect is a joke and every BLM/NFS (ranch uses federal land for grazing) employee who knows them have nothing good to say.  Only a select few get to actually work with the animals and the method of working with animals is inhumane (horse hoofs are never trimmed, use of chickens to beat the dogs, physically hitting to hurt the cows, poor care overall).  The horses they use are bought cheap at the auction and are not trained, especially for unskilled youth.  Many youth only get to ride 1-2 times their entire stay.  In the words of several youth, they are "very unprofessional".  Money...they do it all for money.  In staff meetings they have identified which kids parents have money and who doesn't.  The rich ones are targeted (set up) to have failures and stay longer, the ones out of money somehow quickly become ready to graduate.  Staff read and approve letters to home and listen to all personal phone calls to avoid any negative news to parents.  This outfit is unethical, unprofessional, and not trained.  It is too bad because they have a good set up and have the potential to be a good program.  Never trust them.  

I would suggest to only consider a program where the staff have professional degrees, the director /owner should be at the masters level, there should be licensed therapist that are integrated into the program.  Just my experience...

[I am not a disgruntled employee.  When I worked there they did not know all my qualifications.  I have over 20 yrs working with youth, trained clinical social worker -MSW, and have owned a few agencies working with youth.]

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Testimonies about the facility
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 05:38:24 AM »
Testimony 1:

Quote from: James Bilardello - Google
Storm Ridge Ranch is a fraud. It is a warehouse for children. The Larson's are liars who will do anything for a dollar. They make desperate parents take out loans to send their children to this facility. Meanwhile the children become slaves; yes a working ranch, read in between the lines. If your child wants to leave on time they will have to work for freedom. Meanwhile Rick's cattle makes him money. It isn't even slave labor, its worse. The parents pay to have their children become slaves. Then Maryann rubs it in the children faces, to make them have low self esteem, how their parents suffered finically to send them there.The education is horrible, they give you a book and say read it. No one teaches you. Your child, if not self motivated, will not learn a thing. Rick has broken children's arms for little reason. He is abusive and strict, disobey and your child could have a broken nose or arm. They call it restraining a child. This is just code for torture until they comply. They are an evil family. The whole family works their. Most male staff are married to one of Rick's daughters, only one is actually nice. The lowlife husbands become horrible role models for your children. The other owner Darin, his wife is the teacher. You might think this is good, a family owned residential facility. Think again, they will cover for each other. It is like a Larson cult, but the men kept their last names because they married his daughters. Do not send your child here. I personally was there twice. Both facilities when it was only male. It will only make your child worse. Trust me. Their are better options, please I beg you do not send your child to Storm Ridge Ranch. They monitor all communication between your child and you, this is because they do not want your child to tell you the truth. They force the children to send home "happy" letters. All phone conversations monitored so your child cant tell you what is really happening. I have personally heard Richard Larson threaten children "If you don't do what I say I will get another 3 months out of your parents, you know I can!!!" he manipulates parents with Maryann. If your child says something true, how they are abusive or mention slave labor, they will tell the parents their child is a manipulator. I was personally there over 10 years ago. I imagine it has only become worse. The man they call  "Woods" is no better. I had to add that. He is a know it all, arrogant human being who only cares about his job. The staff that isn't related hates it there, as they are paid minimum wage because they are un educated. Do not send your child here, this place is a scam. I came out worse then I went in. I was personally never abused, I believe because I was six feet tall and athletic when I was young. They were scared of me. The children who weren't as big as I was, I was a big 16 year old, were the ones abused. They justify their abuse so they could sleep at night but if your child is not a big kid they will be "restrained", aka abused.  This place left me psychologically harmed, as I only left worse. I left worse because if you think your child is out of control, their is a child that is worse, your child will become friends with them, your child will gain knowledge on how to be a better criminal. Please I beg you, I know from experience, 9 months then 3 months. Please excuse my spelling I went to high school at Storm Ridge Ranch. I left worse and became a nightmare in my late teens and early 20s because of Storm Ridge Ranch. Save your child.

Testimony #2

I see reviews on here and  they are mixed as people do have mixed opinions on everything in life, but please read this. My parents hired transporters to come to my house and wake me up at 3am and tell me "Come with us and if you make a move, you'll be picking your teeth up off the ground." At that point, I knew something was off about this whole thing. I arrived at Storm Ridge Ranch on October 14, 2012 until I left (early) on July 16, 2013. 9 months and 2 days is what the total came to. The reason for my placement there was disobedience to my parents, minor theft, and truancy, all valid reasons to seek help to change my life around. In that 9 months I was there, I scrubbed the bathroom floor on my hands and knees with a rag for an hour every day to earn 20 points. The program is based on a level system where you have to stay for a certain amount of time and earn enough points to level up (3 months, 9,000 points.) and once you get to the highest level, you get discharged. Every week you earn around 400 points and if you do the math, you won't level up on time. So the only way to level up on time is by doing extra work which entails things like scrubbing the floor, pulling weeds with your hands in 100 degree heat because you are in the desert. The family running it is corrupt. They are liars. They are manipulators. They will take as much money as they possibly can from you and then more. My parents paid $35,000 that they didn't have. There was kid there whose parents were paying close to $70,000 a year! Now that money should be enough for air conditioning in the summer, heat in the winter, and hot water right? Guess again. You take your showers in freezing cold water.In the Winter you need to wear layers of clothing and wrap yourself in tons of blankets just to get a wink of sleep. The school is a joke. I use the term school lightly. Literally they give you a packet of work and say do it. There is no teaching. There is no help. And if you for some reason don't know how to do the work that is way to underadvanced for even the least of brightest of kids, there is no help and you will fail. The food is absolutely terrible. Once again, $35,000-$70,000 per kid should be enough for good food right? Nope. The staff are all undereducated jerks who hate being there almsot as much as we do. So how do they take out their frustrations? Most will take the smallest kid in the room and "restrain" him which entails an extremely painful set of twists and cranks in your body by about 7 grown men. They'll drive their knee into your throat so you cant breathe, and will laugh later on and joke about how bad they were hurting the kid. I remebr there was a kid who got his arm snapped by staff and he didn't get any medical attention for months. The staff moniter everything, so if you want to tell your parents over the phone about the mistreatment, the phone call will be shut off. If you write a letter to tell them, expect to see it in the shredder. This place is a fraud. PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE!!!

Testimony #3

I got sent away by my parents for 7 months. I can honestly say that while you're there everything is okay and you think that everything will. The truth is is that they have you so protected and guarded that the whole experience is a blur because reality hit me so much harder than I expected. The schoolwork was ridiculously easy and I learned absolutely nothing in that area. I learned how to bridle a horse and put up barbed wire fences, but the definition of hard work doesn't help me pass school. I got home May 19, 2014 and have already crashed and burned within the first 3 weeks. I have never been at such a low point and I will never be able to forgive my parents for hiring transporters to kidnap me and take me away to the middle of nowhere. From a son to any parents who read this,

Dont give up this easy

Offline Dad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 02:25:41 AM »
Every thing you read here is true.  As a desperate parent we are hoping what the staff tells us is true.  But it is not!  Find another way to love your child.  This is definitely not it.