Author Topic: What about "Carlbrook School"?  (Read 89825 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Integrity?!! Trustworthiness?!!
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 04:56:54 PM »
Integrity and trustworthiness have NOTHING to do with the program. If programs had integrity, they would not lie to parents, isolate kids, distort their stories using fear based coersion, feign legitimate therapeutic and academic accreditations, and use mindfucking techniques honed by cults, such as synanon. Don't kid yourself about trustworthy peers either.  The whole system is designed to exploit, distort, and bully eachother into submission. If you don't cooperate, there is hell to pay.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Charly

• View Profile
What about "Carlbrook School"?
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2007, 11:51:47 PM »
I'm not planning to get into this fight again, but Carlbrook did not lie to us (the parents).  There were occasions that they didn't know what they were doing, but they didn't lie.  Also, the academics weren't too bad. They weren't what our son was used to, but he got by and got enough to move on.  The peers may have turned on each other while they were there, but they are amazingly close knit and in contact now that they are out.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Carlbrook on wiki fornits
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »
Here is the link.

Please comment.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:40:29 AM by Covergaard »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Integrity?!! Trustworthiness?!!
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2007, 11:57:44 PM »
Quote from: ""Lea""
Integrity and trustworthiness have NOTHING to do with the program. If programs had integrity, they would not lie to parents, isolate kids, distort their stories using fear based coersion, feign legitimate therapeutic and academic accreditations, and use mindfucking techniques honed by cults, such as synanon. Don't kid yourself about trustworthy peers either.  The whole system is designed to exploit, distort, and bully eachother into submission. If you don't cooperate, there is hell to pay.

i second this

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What about "Carlbrook School"?
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2007, 01:56:48 PM »
Quote from: ""Charly""
I'm not planning to get into this fight again, but Carlbrook did not lie to us (the parents).  There were occasions that they didn't know what they were doing, but they didn't lie.  Also, the academics weren't too bad. They weren't what our son was used to, but he got by and got enough to move on.  The peers may have turned on each other while they were there, but they are amazingly close knit and in contact now that they are out.

Then what the fuck did you pay all that damn money for?  Didn't know what they were doing?  Substandard education?  Why even send him then?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: What about
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 04:23:44 AM »
Carlbrook absolutely rejects plenty of applicants for a myriad of reasons.  There IS a minimum IQ.

I think most of the students would be doing at least average if Carlbrook did not exist.  That said, even with an extremely controlled environment, it's undeniable that I grew in character and maturity while being there.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 07:24:45 AM »
Quote from: "studenttt"
Carlbrook absolutely rejects plenty of applicants for a myriad of reasons.  There IS a minimum IQ.

I think most of the students would be doing at least average if Carlbrook did not exist.  That said, even with an extremely controlled environment, it's undeniable that I grew in character and maturity while being there.

That in itself is telling if you take the time to think about it. If most students would be doing average without an over controlling duckfarm like Carlbrook then why the hell were they shipped there in the first place?

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2008, 05:32:40 PM »
not only did you take the time to think about it, you revived an ancient thread that hasn't seen any action for a whole year. I did a double-take when I popped in this forum and saw this thread on page 1 again.

IT LIIIIIVVVEESS!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MY NAME IS EMORY ROBINSON, CARLBROOK SAVED MY LIFE!
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 01:19:07 PM »
Grant kicking people's ass?  Care to explain that or are we to take that literally?

These schools are guided by simple, easy to understand metaphors... dont be a literal asshole, grant never laid a finger on anybody. Negativity destroys this world and the love in it. That school saves lives and creates great memories with lasting results. We all wanted to be somewhere else, but all of us, excluding the assholes publicly bashing a wonderful place because they have "figured it out", are glad that we went there. so, live your life and make the world a better place by making someone smile with a compliment or hug, because THAT is what carlbrook is all about!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
Carlbrook School was awful. I graduated from there in 2008. Just last night, my boyfriend (who also went to Carlbrook) and I both had nightmares about it.

They were psychologically manipulative beyond belief. No, there were no gates or guard dogs, but they emotionally trapped you; they promised us that if we ran, we would be shot/captured/raped by rednecks ("Deliverance" references were made repeatedly) or that the police would get us and that our parents would get extended custody of us until we were 21.

The workshops were so messed up...we had to attend our own funerals and write our own obituaries and tell our friends that they should die (all on staff orders). We had to talk about the most disgusting and traumatic things in our lives (most involved sexual disclosures or abuse) every week. We were shouted at by staff and students about how foul, gross, unforgivable, and unwanted we were. We were "broken" down until they convinced us that we hated ourselves, even if we didn't.

Later on in my stay, I was a student support for one of the therapeutic workshops and saw the scripts (every workshop was scripted and formulaic; they had perfected the art of screwing with kids' heads) and one section actually read "Next, turn off the lights, play Track 05, whisper in their ears, and break them. Break them until they are on the floor. Once all of them are crying and/or screaming, play Track 06."

Carlbrook School was traumatic. You are brainwashed. I didn't believe in brainwashing until I got out of Carlbrook and realized that what they did to me was NOT okay, it was NOT normal. I am still dealing with the psychological conditioning to this day. My parents understand now that it was a mistake to send me there.

Grant Price is insane. He is very my-way-or-the-highway and makes no effort to actually get to know you or help you. Justin Merritt takes no part in his creation; he stands in the background and feigns ignorance as the staff mess with the kids. The advisors are incompetent and cruel. The only staff that actually are about the kids are the Securitas staff (who are often fired for becoming "too attached to the kids" -- they're fired as soon as the other staff notice that they're worried about how inhumane the place is. The Securitas are responsible for patrolling the dorms at night and working Suspension, which is where you sit in a desk and are not permitted to move or talk without express permission. You must keep your head straight and cannot look at anything besides your desk, talk to anyone, get up, etc. You can be "in suspension" for anywhere from one day to 9 MONTHS. The average is about 2 or 3 months) and some of the teachers (though the male teachers at that place definitely have inappropriate relationships with the girls -- nothing physical happens, but they develop very close friendships with the girls (who are ages 15-18) and have private meals with them and cross many boundaries in terms of talking about their sex lives and that type of thing.

Andy Coe, in my opinion, was actually really wonderful. He was one of the few adults there that I trusted (other than the English teacher and an advisor/former student named Sally Martin). However, I want to know more about how he was allegedly duplicitous, as I wonder if I was duped.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »
what about dr. wiseman the psychiatrist
the kids called him The Candy Man
he perscribed pills like they were nothing
overdiagnosed everyone
made everyone a zombie
put me on lexapro, ceraquil, & adderall
i dont have add or bipolar or anything
they just like to dope you up
and make you compliant

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
candyman explains everything

motive ( $ )

and

the

run of the mill whiny troubled teen kicking up dust.

end of story

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 08:23:28 AM »
Good to hear that people are finally coming forward about this place and proving me right that this joint is nothing more than yet another bastard child of CEDU... down to the last fucking detail. Didn't change a damn thing except for the language.

They were psychologically manipulative beyond belief. No, there were no gates or guard dogs, but they emotionally trapped you; they promised us that if we ran, we would be shot/captured/raped by rednecks ("Deliverance" references were made repeatedly) or that the police would get us and that our parents would get extended custody of us until we were 21.

Oh yes, the "there are no gates, you can leave whenever you want" line.

So wonderful to see that they are still, to this day, taking advantage of that incident that happened at RMA, where a kid ran away and got raped by a trucker. Boy, were the staff wetting their pants about what a golden opportunity THAT was to put the fear of god into kids who were thinking about bailing. Nice to know they are still using that story to scare the fuck out of detainees.

However, due to the fact that I fantasize about getting raped by truckers every day, this would have hardly been a deterrent.

They get a 0 for creativity, but then again, they learned that from Mel, since he stole all of his ideas, too.

Is that NAMBLA whore Tim Brace still there?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »
Tim Brace is a good guy. He put his heart into his work; we were everything to him. I don't agree with Carlbrook. I'm openly angry at many of the staff members for their detrimental and often vicious methods. I think that a lot of it was frankly cultish. But Tim Brace...I trust Tim Brace. He's a good man.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 12:27:45 PM »
glad he was good to you. not all students can claim the same, especially if they were good-looking young boys. Please know that I am not saying this offhandedly, either. I've had alumni talk to me about their personal experiences with him.

technically, since it didnt happen to me, its still hearsay, but I trust the people who confided in me.