Author Topic: What about "Carlbrook School"?  (Read 89960 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What about "Carlbrook School"?
« on: March 22, 2005, 07:35:00 AM »
Tim Brace, formerly of ASR and several other facilities frequently mentioned on this forum, has opened Carlbrook School in the same county in Virginia where Wellspring Academy was until it closed a couple years ago.
A bunch of the staff are from places mentioned on this forum too.  Does anybody know anything about Carlbrook?  Are there actually any good "therapeutic boarding schools" out there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »
On 2005-03-22 04:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Tim Brace, formerly of ASR and several other facilities frequently mentioned on this forum, has opened Carlbrook School in the same county in Virginia where Wellspring Academy was until it closed a couple years ago.

A bunch of the staff are from places mentioned on this forum too.  Does anybody know anything about Carlbrook?  Are there actually any good "therapeutic boarding schools" out there?"

I don't recommend "therapeutic boarding schools" unless a child is actively a danger to self or others, and hospitalization and day hospitalization have already been tried and failed to stabilize the child on medication---hospitalization should be tried usually *several* times before giving up on it.  The second or third time frequently works at finding a med combination that will stabilize a mentally ill child.

*If* a child has been through all those options and is still an active danger and needs a longer hospitalization than a conventional mental hospital will do, then the parents need to pick an RTC that has been in business for years and years, hasn't recently had a change of ownership or significant change of administration, *doesn't* have survivors or parents all over the internet complaining of fraud and abuse, and *doesn't* accept juvenile delinquents who do not have a comorbid serious mental illness.

If the RTC that looks the best by those criteria has had a recent change of administration or ownership, check the new administrator out closely  for prior connections to an abusive facility.  *If* the new admin or owner worked in a bad place, ask around on survivor boards for that place to see if he was one of the good guys or a total bastard.

If the RTC that looks best is new check out the owner(s) and major admins for any connections to bad places.  If there are any, avoid that place.

If you can't find an RTC that you can afford, that will take your kid, that meets those criteria, then you are best off making do with brief hospitalizations, day hospitalization, or even letting the kid end up in juvie jail rather than a bad RTC.

If you're afraid of suicide, a bad RTC is more likely to increase the risk than decrease it.  Reduce stressors on the teen as much as possible, even if it means taking longer to finish school or living as a near invalid for several years, actively manage the teen's medication with a pdoc, and hope for the best.  It's uncertain, but it increases the teen's odds.

If the teen is actively dangerous to others and you can't find a *good* RTC to take him, let the justice system take care of his violent acts as breaches of law and put him in jail.  Jail is very much better and less a hazard to a violent teen than a bad RTC.

The point is, with a teen that is actively dangerous to self or others, to minimize the worst risks long enough for the teen to grow out of adolescence.  Things almost always get *somewhat* better when a person grows out of her turbulent teen years.

If your teen is *not* actively dangerous to self or others, count your blessings and realize that anything else can be mended at least somewhat by the new adult when he or she is grown.  A teen who is not actively dangerous to self or others doesn't need or deserve to be in an RTC at all---whether it's a good one or a bad one.

For a drug or alcohol addicted teen, *if* the teen wants help, 3-6 weeks in rehab and/or the *real* Outward Bound plus ongoing participation in Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous or the secular alternative is the *most* you should do.  Forcing addicts who don't want help to get help has an abysmally poor track record---addicts who have been forced to get help have no better rate of remission from addiction than addicts who have *not* been forced to get help.  Forced "help" simply doesn't work.

All you can do for an addict that doesn't want help is try not to provide supports that enable his addiction, like lying or making excuses for him to get him out of trouble, or bringing him medicine or making his food when he has a hangover, or giving him money or stuff he ought to be buying for himself.  You *have* to give a minor addict food, shelter, and clothing.  You *can* turn him in to the cops if he's stealing lots of your stuff or violent--you shouldn't if he isn't.  What you don't have to do is coddle him or provide sympathy when he feels yucky from the drugs.

Casual users are *not* addicts no matter what the drug warrior idiots tell you.  Don't treat them like idiots.  Provide them with factual information about why their behavior is stupid and accept that, beyond increased supervision, you can't do anything about it.  And that you can't supervise them all the time.  Disapproval, information, and *reasonable* supervision is a proportional and responsible response to casual sex or casual drug use.

Most casual users survive it and quit on their own, and survive it better without their parents calling the cops or locking them in their rooms or sending them to an RTC or otherwise vastly over-reacting.

Yes, drug use is bad, even casual use.  But the point is to shepherd the kid through adolescence with as little damage as possible.  An RTC for a joint or two or weekend binge drinking is a "cure" that's worse than the disease.

The art of parenting a teen is the art of progressively letting go, more and more and more, until you completely let go, even while they turn your hair white with the crap they get up to.

We don't put two year olds in an RTC for having tantrums, we don't put ten year old boys in an RTC for being assholes, we don't put 13 year old girls in an RTC for being bitchy and superficial, and we shouldn't put teens in RTCs for driving fast, drinking, casually trying drugs, making bad grades, and screwing around.

Those bad behaviors, to a greater or lesser degree, are normal to the age and the stage of development, and the appropriate way to deal with them is by normal, consistent, rule-based, sane, stable, garden-variety parenting strategies.

Sending a wild, disobedient, disrespectful, pain in the ass, rebellious, defiant teen to an RTC is *not* a sane parenting strategy.  Even if he is a horrible example to your younger children.

Bad-parent-flattering support groups aside, it's the easy way out, substituting spending money for taking personal responsibility for the personal obligation to raise that child.

If Jane parent pays anyone enough money, they'll tell her whatever she wants to hear about how good her bad behavior is.  John parent and Betty parent who are engaging in the same bad behavior will be happy to engage in self-deluding empty flattery all day long about what a sacrifice they all are making, how they've made "the hard choice," and how they're not abandoning their children and their personal responsibility to them, and how their abandonment is an "act of love."  It *is* empty flattery and it's all absolutely false.

Anyway, if you're considering an RTC for the right reasons, that's how to find a good one.

If you were considering an RTC for the wrong reasons, I hope you'll pay attention to your better judgement and choose not to listen to people filling your ears with empty flattery and plying you with tea and sympathy either because they want your money or they want you to join their conspiracy of self-congratulation for their *own* bad behavior.

Try all the alternatives first, including good parenting and living with your teen being a better or worse than average pain in the butt teen, before taking the huge risk of choosing an RTC.

Julie/Timoclea

Offline alternativa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 04:49:00 PM »
I'm originally from that part of the country and still usually visit southside Va. 2-3 months a year.

One way to find out if this school is NOT bogus is to call and ask how many day students attend. The public schools in Halifax County are terrible and more dangerous than surrounding counties. Still, there is a hospital so there are lots of doctors with money there. Those doctors tend to send their kids to the Fuqua School, which is 60 miles north. There are so many kids coming from Halifax, Fuqua provides an "express bus." Moreover, parents got together and rented a house so they and kids had a place to crash after sports events, weekend activities, etc. Still, bussing a kid 60 miles to school every day is not ideal and I KNOW that if there were a reasonable school in the area, these parents would certainly choose it. If there are NO day students, forget it.

I looked at the website and though there are some things that are typically Virginian, like the honor system and though the writing smacks of educationese "critical thinking," etc. I looked at the staff, and they are associated with Swift River, Cascade, there are some graduates of Brigham Young--but they do seem to have a real faculty. However, I'd call them, tell them I'm moving to the area and understand the public school system is terrible, and though Fuqua (K-12)(pronounced Foo-Kwah) was recommended, you hate the idea of your child taking a bus 60 miles to school every day.
EVERY reputable boarding and military school in VA. takes day students (in fact--that goes for everywhere) and if they don't take day students--you don't want to know from it. Private schools in this area are in great demand and a lot of parents send their kids to reputable boarding schools so they can simply get a good education
without traveling a zillion miles every day.

Offline alternativa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 05:36:00 PM »
You know--don't waste your time. This school is just another under the umbrella with a more believable website.

It occurred to me that there is an LDS church in Halifax, which is very strange in this part of the country. Everyone's Baptist--not holy roller Baptists, more like--let's not go to church this morning and go to the country club and drink some beer before we play golf type Baptist.

Also, this area of the state is very economically depressed, and they are desperate  for anything that brings jobs.
I'd just add Carlbrook to the list of places to avoid.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »
Huge disagreement here!  My son went to Carlbrook and it was the best thing that could have happened to him.  He's back at home now, and still contacts friends from school, most of whom have gone on to good colleges.  Still emails his advisor and considers him a friend; still talks about the wonderful teachers, the small class sizes and the emphasis on academics.  We still keep in touch with other parents via email, and almost all of them think the world of the school and its approach.  Kids have to address their problems, but that's why they are there.  The school has nothing to hide, as is evidenced by parent conferences which include a hundred or so parents visiting the school all at once (you won't see that at Provo, will you???)  It may not be appropriate for every kid, but please get more firsthand info before making your decision.

Offline inquirmind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 03:10:00 AM »
My son graduated from Carlbrook school after completing their 15 month program.  Skeptical as I am, and frightened as I was to send my child away, I have not a single doubt about the integrity of the school.  It was a hard place to be - no TV, no computer, no drugs, sex, and rock n roll... but the people there were the most compassionate, nurturing people, and the best therapists I've encountered in my career as a parent and as an educator/counselor.  My son maintians close friendships with both students and staff and is now doing very well in college.  

Is there an element of mind contol?  Yeah, I think there is.  The kids are isolated from everything but the school's philosophy.  But the philosophy - having integrity, being a trustworthy friend, working hard, being true to yourself - is worth giving up the freedom to be an alienated teenager who is going down the tubes.  

The answer is, yes there are good schools out there.  But just like I wouldn't send my kids to a preschool I hadn't visited, I went to visit schools in person, talked to staff and kids, and talked to people I trust.

Definitely do not be swayed by slick websites, and my advice is avoid both the big corporate-owned schools and the mom and pop "We'll love him into health with the help of God" groups.  

Like everything else in this world, you have to be savvy and ask the right questions and have a really good idea of what you're looking for.  

Good luck.

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 06:01:00 AM »
Just make sure that the school does not limit parent/child contact and allows frequent visitation. Any program that doesnt' is suspect for being abusive in my oppinion. When a school is open to the public then the risk of abuse is much lower. If the program has a point system and punishments then it is not appropriate and reeks of a WWASP-like program.  Make sure that the program does not take away basic freedom.  The child should not have to ask permission to go to the bathroom.  Also they should have the freedom of speech - they should not be punished for saying they aren't happy or don't like the school.  Find out about punishment - do they use isolation - do they restrain kids or use chemical restraints.  If the answer is yes -then back away.

Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such purpose, and you allow him to make war at pleasure. Study to see if you can fix any limit to his power in this respect, after having given him so much as you propose. If today he should choose to say he thinks it necessary to invade Canada to prevent the British from invading us, how could you stop him? You may say to him,--"I see no probability of the British invading us"; but he will say to you, "Be silent: I see it, if you don't."
--Abraham Lincoln

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:30:21 PM »
Carlbrook is not the wonderful and pristine place so many parents think it is.  There are brilliant minds trapped on a campus with not enough staff to supervise everyone. Kids get bullied in dorms, there is sex in the dorms, in bathrooms, in classrooms and on the path between buildings--shit happens.  Not to mention our esteemed leaders who are fucking each other and cheating on their spouses with their co-workers.  One of the owners kids tells students "my daddy sleeps with ---- and he sleeps naked" when she came to visit.  Lovely role model huh?  Hey lets look to our dean of advising instead.  Oh...he is too busy screwing his associate director in his office or making out with her in the parking lot.  Yeah...great place with wonderful roll models there to spout off bullshit and then try to lay down the law and tell the kids to do the "right thing".

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 07:44:43 AM »
Is there an element of mind contol? Yeah, I think there is. The kids are isolated from everything but the school's philosophy. But the philosophy - having integrity, being a trustworthy friend, working hard, being true to yourself - is worth giving up the freedom to be an alienated teenager who is going down the tubes.

wow.  this is twisted.  why not just send junior to north korea?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 07:48:32 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Is there an element of mind contol? Yeah, I think there is. The kids are isolated from everything but the school's philosophy. But the philosophy - having integrity, being a trustworthy friend, working hard, being true to yourself - is worth giving up the freedom to be an alienated teenager who is going down the tubes.

wow.  this is twisted.  why not just send junior to north korea?

this sounds like other tbs's that these people were involved with administrating.  makes ya wonder - is this environment created by the kids or the facility?  seems to follow these folks wherever they go - cedu, asr, etc, etc...  

why don't parents get this?
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 07:49:52 AM »
Quote from: ""Namelessfornow""
Carlbrook is not the wonderful and pristine place so many parents think it is.  There are brilliant minds trapped on a campus with not enough staff to supervise everyone. Kids get bullied in dorms, there is sex in the dorms, in bathrooms, in classrooms and on the path between buildings--shit happens.  Not to mention our esteemed leaders who are fucking each other and cheating on their spouses with their co-workers.  One of the owners kids tells students "my daddy sleeps with ---- and he sleeps naked" when she came to visit.  Lovely role model huh?  Hey lets look to our dean of advising instead.  Oh...he is too busy screwing his associate director in his office or making out with her in the parking lot.  Yeah...great place with wonderful roll models there to spout off bullshit and then try to lay down the law and tell the kids to do the "right thing".

sorry.  meant this quote for previous post...
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »
Hey- these places are in remote towns. The staff has to get some when they can.  Probably doesn't affect the therapeutic component that much. Hard to picture Matthew with his head in some woman's chest.  When the owners start sleeping with students there might be something to talk about. Sex among faculty in a small school in a small town- no news there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 08:40:32 PM »
Karen, the Carlbrook apologist extraordinaire!  :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
Get fucked. I'mnot Karen- I'm a grad. Not defending the place either. They had a real perv there for awhile named Peter, but they got rid of him as soon as they realized what they had. Place isn't perfect but it saved my ass.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Hey- these places are in remote towns. The staff has to get some when they can.  Probably doesn't affect the therapeutic component that much. Hard to picture Matthew with his head in some woman's chest.  When the owners start sleeping with students there might be something to talk about. Sex among faculty in a small school in a small town- no news there.

"When the owners start sleeping with students there might be something to talk about."

There MIGHT BE something to talk about when staff bangs kids?  Karen, you're a fucking retard.  With this and your pushing kids to get abortions when they don't want to your morals are in the toilet.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control