Author Topic: Who owned the Buildings?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline enough

• View Profile
Who owned the Buildings?
« on: October 17, 2002, 04:33:00 PM »
I know that Straight and the Straight Foundation were incorporated, and operated as non-profits.

But they operated in these buildings, did they pay rent? Did the Foundation own the property?

Or was the program paying rent to owners, possibly the Semblers or their company, who then earned a profit off the property?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
Who owned the Buildings?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 12:00:00 AM »
As far as I know, they may have rented the Straight building in Plymouth Michigan, it was a car repair shop before it became Straight Inc. and when it closed it was up for rent again, and again it became a car repair shop.

As far as I know a lot of money came from the parents who put thier kids in this place, so I am only assuming that the money from the parents, the majority went to the staff and exects. and little of it went to maintaning the building.

The carpeting and floors in the intake rooms were unbearable. The first time I sat on that carpet it was greasy and smelly, the floors in the intake room were broken up and I tried to use one of the pieces of that floor to hurt myself, I just kept breaking it off.

So I'm not sure who really decided to maintain it, but I can tell you one thing, I think it was sad to see so many parents dishing out all this money for this place and the  carpet and floor problems were never handled.

[ This Message was edited by: ladyjerrico on 2002-10-17 21:01 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
usan Minns