Author Topic: kids  (Read 1537 times)

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
kids
« on: October 15, 2002, 06:23:00 PM »
Has anyone told their kids about being in Straight? Somehow, it just seems like a bad idea.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
kids
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2002, 09:15:00 PM »
Well, I would think if you want to scare kids into not doing drugs, it would be a good idea to tell them about this place, or perhaps if you want to see them off of them.
Other than that, as a parent, I think it's imporant to encourage children to not be with the wrong crowd and if they are doing fine.. I always say, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
usan Minns

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
kids
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2002, 11:52:00 PM »
Kris,
I have absolutely no intention of ever divulging such information to my daughter. I have a hard enough time trying to explain my time there to myself, we have a hard time explaining it to one another, and I cannot imagine trying to explain it to my child. She has never ever seen me in a light of using drugs, I am her mom, and a damn good one at that, despite what Straight said I would turn out to be. I would never want to confuse her sweet mind with such poisonous information. Cecile
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
kids
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 12:21:00 AM »
This topic surfaced a while back, and I decided to let my at the time troubled 13 yo in on the secret. Momma debi,antigen and gregfl and some other oldtimers here spoke of how it had benefitted the relationship with their kids.  Guess what?  My son learned that I was a real mess, has heard about the program, and has become closer than ever to me.  I now have "cred" with him that did not exist before.  My parenting is now an acceptance of the FACT that he will do as he chooses.  Prior to crossing this bridge, I was trying to save him from making my mistakes.  Actually, I was mirroring MY parents, and as I realized all of this, I decided thatI was NOT repeating history. I had to relearn what parenting a young teen meant, because as WE ALL KNOW, our parents did not do it right.  He now trusts me more because its not the "old guy" but a former hell raising stoner/drinker/thief who learned the hard way how to get life right.  Sharing with my son my experiences was the best thing I have done as a parent.  Now he is becomming a man, and I can help, but not steer him.  He is doing it himself now.

BTW, you with pre-adolescents need to REALLY get ready for the next few years.  It will test you.

Bill

[ This Message was edited by: tampa survivor on 2002-10-16 04:25 ]
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
kids
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2002, 07:34:00 AM »
Lady J,
Kids find the crowd that fits them.  If the kid hangs with the "wrong"group, it is because the kid is already a mess. Remeber when you were 13?  Parents must revert back to that age thinking if they have any chance of  relating to their kid.  At 9 or 1o, I had the worlds perfect boy, or so i thought.  I remember telling a friend with a troubled girl how glad i was that my boy would "never be like that"  He laughed.  He was right.  Pubic hair RUINS perfectly nice children.  
LOL
Keeping them sane requires a true paradigm shift.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
kids
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2002, 08:47:00 AM »
When I was 13 I didn't do drugs, I was a good kid, it was 17 when I started, but I know kids these days are more intellegent than I was back then in the early 80's.
Like I said before, if it isn't broken, I don't bother to fix it.
usan Minns