Author Topic: straight movie  (Read 5376 times)

Offline TinaMC

• View Profile
straight movie
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2003, 05:47:00 AM »
Of course I wasn't there as long as most of you but I only remember getting to watch one movie and I beleive it was the "10 Comandments" on Easter of 1980. I had seen it before but enjoyed it only because I hadn't seen any TV for awhile and of course b/c we didn't have to relate in group, although I'm sure we had a discussion afterwards, I can't remember. I personally loved the movie "Midnight Express" and I think it would've given me even more courage to endure and escape.
Tina
St.Pete 1980

Life may have no meaning.  Or even worse, it may have a meaning of which I disapprove.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0912800909/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Ashleigh Brilliant

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline gduncan

• View Profile
straight movie
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2003, 08:02:00 AM »
TinaMC- How long were you in the program? I entered in June of '80 and just curious if I would remember you.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
straight movie
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2003, 10:38:00 AM »
On 2002-10-13 21:12:00, enough wrote:

"In Atlanta we were shown "Christianne F" about a gilr using heroin in Berlin in the 70's, they wouldn't let us see the Bowie concert that was in the film.

James"

I saw that movie about 10 years ago (rented it in a video store)and often have looked for it but can't find it. It is a horrific accurate portrayal of a young girl's heroin addiction in Germany.

As far as "not my kid"...it is a piece of trash about Miller Newton's program.

...it is worth discussing radical changes, not in the expectation that they will be adopted promptly but for two other reasons. One is to construct an ideal goal, so that incremental changes can be judged by whether they move the institutional structure toward or away from that ideal. The other reason is very different. It is so that if a crisis requiring or facilitating radical change does arise, alternatives will be available that have been carefully developed and fully explored."

http://laissezfairebooks.com/index.cfm?eid=103&aid=10247' target='_new'>Milton Friedman

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
straight movie
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2003, 11:19:00 AM »
I remember seeing that movie while in Straight as well. Only, we didn't get to see the parts with David Bowie...
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
straight movie
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2003, 07:52:00 AM »
Did Christiane X have a scean in which a skinhead jacked her rig in a bathroom and shot up in his neck.  If so we saw it in Dallas.  But whatever movie it was, we all got blasted for not sharing about it afterward.

Offline TinaMC

• View Profile
straight movie
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2003, 08:09:00 AM »
GDuncan,
I went in in March of 1980 and split on 3rd phase sometime in June. Not exactly sure of the date. We may have just missed each other. I'm sure that if you are a guy I would definitely not know you since we never could look over there and believe me I tried to do it w/o getting caught. But if you are a girl then we may have crossed paths. I wish we would have, I haven't met anyone that I knew but then again it was long ago and I wasn't there too long. Thank GOD!!
Tina McGrath(Mulroney use to be)

Being sleepy can impair someone's ability to do thier job.  People
can sleep at home and come to the job with sleepiness still in their system. The sleepiness can still be there long after the employee has slept. When someone is found to be sleepy on the job, they can claim that they went to sleep the night before.  The only solution to this problem is to ban employees from sleeping.

--Arthur Slabosky

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
straight movie
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2003, 11:04:00 AM »
Yes, in a subway station I believe. Also, i depicted her boyfriend having to turn tricks with adult men.

I saw the movie independent of the program and thought it was pretty good...

Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked,  and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that  the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque  self-deception."  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0517150735/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger, 1916, Ch.9

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
straight movie
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2003, 08:10:00 PM »
You can rent the movie at blockbusters, although take my wor at spend yor money on the M&Ms instead.  The movie was so far fetched from the real thing it was unreal.

thea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: straight movie
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »
Yes, I remember "Not My Child".  My oldest sister was in Straight and it saved her life.  That was almost 19 years ago and I was 10 years old but that movie was very accurate.  I am trying to find a copy of that movie but it is nowhere to be found.  It is not even mentioned on IMDB.com.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »
Quote from: "DarrenB"
Yes, I remember "Not My Child".  My oldest sister was in Straight and it saved her life.  That was almost 19 years ago and I was 10 years old but that movie was very accurate.  I am trying to find a copy of that movie but it is nowhere to be found.  It is not even mentioned on IMDB.com.

You were NOT in Straight. I WAS in Straight in 1984 - 1986 and that movie was shown in group one night. The biggest thing I remember about that movie?? Being told it was about Straight and being confused and wondering why it was so different from the REALITY of Straight....Not MY Kid was a huge LIE. Clearly you were NOT in Straight so you could not possbly know whether or not it was an accurate portrayal of Straight. What went on in the group was NEVER revealed to anyone...not even our parents.
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »
I didn't see Not My Kid; I don't think it was shown in group when i was there (earlier on), but anyone who has seen it who was in Straight has said that it was a phony representation of what went on there. If anyone wants a more accurate portrayal (although perhaps not the best since it was really about KHK, not Straight) of what the program was actually like, rent Over The G.W.; at least that film is something like the truth.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »
O! Yeah! I remember ...

many movies...soothing the savage beast within, viewing "Never Cry Wolf"(still one of my favorites) and "Midnight Express" which is, as is fitting part of the all-time greats movie list.

we never saw "Not My Kid" while we were in there, at Springfield, not while I was in there anyway, but I remember bein in there in March of 85, and then at some time over the next what ??  ...  less than 18 months, when group lined up and went into the carpet room to watch "Midnight Express" and I wrote a whole story about this on a earlier topic, called Rich Mullinax and the Midnight Express thread, but God help me if I could ever find it now. And I related more to the character in the movie than to anyone I knew in group, or the wider straight cult around us at the time,...or now.

Offline KIDSofEP

• View Profile
    • http://www.kidsofelpaso.com
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 09:31:23 PM »
"Not My KID", what a piece.  I have it and you can usually always find a copy on ebay.  A couple of interesting tidbits about the flick.  Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Bart Simpson, was in the movie.  Shawnee Smith was also in the movie (snippet at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHxBP9oatJE).  She also was the murderess in the SAW series of films, is also on the "Becker" show on tv, and has a band, Fydolla Ho--the band's myspace is at http://www.myspace.com/fivedollaho.  Interesting to see this troubled teen turned right in group yelling "coming home" (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YvFWF7oPo) and later was in the SAW movies killing the shit out of people in wicked ways.

In KIDS of El Paso, the one single movie that we were allowed to watch was also Midnight Express.  Strange one of many common threads with both KIDS and STRAIGHT.  I drooled seeing all the hash, but the film had no other effect on me.  I guess it was yet another failed attempt to try to show us how drugs could "make our life unmanageable."