Author Topic: Penn & Teller Bullshit Episode: 12 Step Programs  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: Penn & Teller Bullshit Episode: 12 Step Programs
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
A "Disease's" presence isnt determined through whether or not it can improve or become asymptomatic, especially  mental disease or disorder. Are any of you people posting here doctors, by any chance? I think there is some confusion about how the term disease can/should be used vis-a-vis mental illness

Yes, there is.  Please give us your definition of "disease".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2009, 08:47:27 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
Hi.

I currently do not have a disease, but I am interested in getting one.

It appears that becoming a lush would be the easiest way to do this. Am I correct? Although, according to 12 step, crossdressing and excessive online gaming also count.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

I'd suggest a good, old-fashioned opium habit, but I'm kind of a traditionalist that way.  Maybe some kind of disease that involves drugs, lottery tickets, bestiality, and wearing the vestments of clergy members of the opposite sex.  Maybe you should involve some weird fetishism for Victorian furniture, too.

A "Disease's" presence isnt determined through whether or not it can improve or become asymptomatic, especially mental disease or disorder. Are any of you people posting here doctors, by any chance? I think there is some confusion about how the term disease can/should be used vis-a-vis mental illness

Logic dictates that when someone confronts others about their lack of a medical degree, then that must mean that they themselves are doctors, because nobody could possibly be stupid enough to say something that blatantly hypocritical, and then immediately follow up by pimping their own insight without backing it up by demonstrating that they have the authority and credentials to state such a thing.

Yes, Castle, somebody could be that stupid.  Every day I get calls from people at least as moronic as that.

So... since you are obviously a doctor, and you know what a disease *really* is, do you have any recommendations on the best 12 step disease to have?

Well, I'm not a licensed doctor, but I do have lots of experience with things that people have been known to attend 12 step groups for, so I'm gonna suggest compulsive lying.  That way you'll fit in at any 12 step meeting group you choose to attend.

Best regards,

RTP2K3

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
Yes, Castle, somebody could be that stupid. Every day I get calls from people at least as moronic as that.

I am suddenly curious as to what you do for a living.

tech support?

oh wait, sorry.  That's all in India now.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
Quote from: "rtp2k3"
Hi.

I currently do not have a disease, but I am interested in getting one.

It appears that becoming a lush would be the easiest way to do this. Am I correct? Although, according to 12 step, crossdressing and excessive online gaming also count.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

I'd suggest a good, old-fashioned opium habit, but I'm kind of a traditionalist that way.  Maybe some kind of disease that involves drugs, lottery tickets, bestiality, and wearing the vestments of clergy members of the opposite sex.  Maybe you should involve some weird fetishism for Victorian furniture, too.

A "Disease's" presence isnt determined through whether or not it can improve or become asymptomatic, especially mental disease or disorder. Are any of you people posting here doctors, by any chance? I think there is some confusion about how the term disease can/should be used vis-a-vis mental illness

Logic dictates that when someone confronts others about their lack of a medical degree, then that must mean that they themselves are doctors, because nobody could possibly be stupid enough to say something that blatantly hypocritical, and then immediately follow up by pimping their own insight without backing it up by demonstrating that they have the authority and credentials to state such a thing.

Yes, Castle, somebody could be that stupid.  Every day I get calls from people at least as moronic as that.

So... since you are obviously a doctor, and you know what a disease *really* is, do you have any recommendations on the best 12 step disease to have?

Well, I'm not a licensed doctor, but I do have lots of experience with things that people have been known to attend 12 step groups for, so I'm gonna suggest compulsive lying.  That way you'll fit in at any 12 step meeting group you choose to attend.

Best regards,

RTP2K3

:roflmao:  :rocker:

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2009, 09:40:20 PM »
Yes, Castle, somebody could be that stupid. Every day I get calls from people at least as moronic as that.

tech support?

:seg:

btw Castle.....love the Carol Burnett quote.  Did you know she sent her kid off to a program?  I was so disappointed to hear that.  She's a part of some of my good childhood memories.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2009, 09:44:36 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

tech support?

btw Castle.....love the Carol Burnett quote.  Did you know she sent her kid off to a program?  I was so disappointed to hear that.  She's a part of some of my good childhood memories.

LOL. You're shitting me. Which program? Do you know?

Yeah, I feel the same way about her. For some reason, I always associate her with visiting my grandmother, since most of my memories watching burnett were at my grandmother's house, eating buttered toast. Then I'd watch the price is right immediately afterwards.

Fuck I miss the 70s. That was a hell of a decade. (Although Im sure seedlings would disagree with me on that.)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »
Quote from: "RTP"

tech support?

btw Castle.....love the Carol Burnett quote.  Did you know she sent her kid off to a program?  I was so disappointed to hear that.  She's a part of some of my good childhood memories.[/quote]

Found this, but I'm not really sure......  http://www.people.com/people/archive/ar ... 40,00.html

Another Heartbreak

By Jill Smolowe
Carol Burnett Mourns the Death from Cancer of Carrie Hamilton, 38, the Daughter Whose Teenage Drug Addiction Had Tested the Strength of a Mother's Love

....................................With the exception of Hamilton's tumultuous teen years, such closeness was the hallmark of their relationship. While growing up in Beverly Hills, Carrie and her sisters Erin, now 33, and Jody attended almost every dress rehearsal of the Emmy-winning Carol Burnett Show, which starred their mother, was produced by their father and ran for 11 years, until 1978. "We'd be out by 6 o'clock every day and by 10 p.m. on show day," says writer Kohan. "The show was structured in such a way that Carol could spend time with her family." Early on Burnett's fame had little impact on Hamilton: "I never connected who my mother was with who was onstage," she told the Denver Rocky Mountain News  Haven't they done a series of articles on the TTI??    in 1995. "She was just a mom like everyone else."

Mom became the enemy in 1977. After discovering her 13-year-old daughter was sneaking cigarettes, Burnett began to eavesdrop on Hamilton's phone conversations. "I was mother tigress and not above snooping," she told PEOPLE in 1979. Soon cigarettes became pot and alcohol; uppers, downers, psychedelics, cocaine and mushrooms  Even that sounds oh-so familiar     followed. "I could think or talk of nothing else, and it was driving a wedge in [my] marriage," Burnett said. When therapy failed, Burnett and Hamilton tightened the parental noose, grounding Carrie and taking away her phone. "We didn't want her to hate us," said Burnett, "but she already did."

Burnett also said she felt "sorry and guilty—by then Carrie was a virtual prisoner in our house." But she remembered her own parents, who had died of alcoholism when she was in her 20s, and dug in even harder. She signed Hamilton up for a rehab program at the Houston headquarters of the Palmer Drug Abuse Programthen kept her distance. A month into the program, a newly sober Carrie asked to see her mother. [/color][/u]"The thing that stands out in my mind," says Frank Beard, a program counselor who served as Hamilton's surrogate parent during her year in the Houston program, "is how much she cherished her sobriety."

At 17, she briefly stumbled and took to life on the streets, supporting herself with odd jobs and small music gigs before checking back into rehab. This time around, she experienced what she described as an epiphany: "I knew I wanted to be a rock star, and I couldn't do that if I was dead." She stayed clean...................................................

LOL. You're shitting me. Which program? Do you know?

Yeah, I feel the same way about her. For some reason, I always associate her with visiting my grandmother, since most of my memories watching burnett were at my grandmother's house, eating buttered toast. Then I'd watch the price is right immediately afterwards.

Fuck I miss the 70s. That was a hell of a decade. (Although Im sure seedlings would disagree with me on that.)

Me too.   TV from that era seems to be very important to me.  My mom and I connected on some level with Burnett, Newhart, MASH etc.  Good times.  :D