Author Topic: ft.laud. seed '82-'85-looking for other seedling survivors  (Read 16067 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ft.laud. seed '82-'85-looking for other seedling survivors
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »
My experience at the Seed is filled with mixed feelings and to this day I feel bad when I post my criticisms. As in all human institions the Seed was filled with good and bad.

I do not question what the Seed taught I feel that the philosophy was both sound and true. The problem ran deep within the basic dynamic set up of the group. What I mean by this was not in the power structure the very defininition of this structure fell into the normal structures of a group with a purpose. It was the inter rivalries within the people that ran the group and that were considered favorites of the staff. The small petty issues of who was who, and who welded the most importance are what determined where you fitted in. All this hinged on how Art and to some extent Libby perceived who you were. This caused many people to become nothing more than a good ass kisser and as they kissed ass they did not realize how they were stunting their growth in the areas they needed to grow the most. Examples of this are: How well someone related in the group, The length of time someone was around, The career someone had or was pursuing. For most people this became the most important factor as they kept up the façade of being part of the group for the good of the group. This type of behavior is what overshadowed everything and became the primary driving force in the group. People parroted much of what they said oblivious to the fact that they should have questioned their motives and reasons why they were at the Seed. We all should have developed our independent though process more and learned to rely more on ourselves rather than the group. In this manner the group empowered but yet on the other hand debilitated making cowards of us all.

The group thinking or collective thought process became dangerous and very debilitating.
One of the ways this group thinking manifested itself was through the over bearing control the Seed maintained over everyone. Al thought when someone first came on the program this control could be justified in the name of teaching self- discipline after a person progressed it became smothering and stifling. Why not allow people to reasimulate back into the world with encouragement rather than the threat of expulsion? The Seed ruled with a velvet glove that concealed the Iron fist.  

Another way this group thinking hurt the Seed was in the manner people were blackballed when someone did not conform to the groups norms.  People were labeled as malcontents, ungrateful assholes who threw away their opportunity to become great. If you dared question this accusation you ran the risk of being on the wrong end of the groups wrath. This behavior caused many people to swallow their feelings and not allow their true feelings to be exposed causing many people to live out a lie only making them more dependant on the Seed causing them to become extremely isolated from the world while perpetuating their weaknesses even more.

In the end ego and prestige and lack of a purpose once the Seed stopped taking new commers is what ruled and brought down the group, Resulting in a collective full fledge group rebellion due to the lack of willingness in questioning one?s self and the motives of being around for so long. In my opinion was the greatest fault the Seed had.

Yet in my humble opinion the Seed still for all of it?s imperfection still was a power for good and in fact did help many people that needed it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2004, 11:56:00 AM »
not for me it wasn´t. It was a force of extreme negativity in my life.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »
Anon did read the whole post or just the last lines?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »
Yes, read it. Only felt compeled to respond to the glaring inacurracy at the end.

Thanks for caring.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »
The Program was designed to break us down and then build us up again in the image of Smeagol.

"The Libertarian Party is a coalition of those who hold dear the economic freedoms championed by conservatives, yet abandoned by Republicans, and the civil freedoms championed by liberals, yet abandoned by Democrats."

--Rick Root

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »
What land do you live in Antigen?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »
If your argument has no legs, you can always fall back on insults and ad hominems, eh?

May the fleas of one thousand llamas infest your armpits
--One ticked off sysadmin

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »
People who feel that the program was basically benign seem to think that as long as the kid came out not doing drugs then it was worth whatever "hardships" they had to endure.   Ya know, the end justifies the means kind of thing.  It's the same sort of thing I used to hear when I left aftercare and accused others of being brainwashed.  They're typical response was something to the effect of 'well, if that's what it takes to clean out my brain then so be it'.  Antigen hit it on the head.  The whole POINT of behavior modification (in this sense of the term) is to break down the old "habits" or lifestyles and then build them back up in whatever guru's image of a good kid is.  For those who haven't gotten the memo.....IT'S NEVER, EVER, EVER A GOOD THING TO BREAK A KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How can anyone NOT see this????  It amazes me when I see posts that acknowlege the abuse but justify it as...oh, I needed it at the time, I was in a lot of trouble.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:   If we were all left to our own devices during our teen years most would have eventually grown out of it and become successful, some wouldn't and some would fall in between.  Parents can't yank a kid out of everything they're familiar with and then use their love as a weapon to be given and withheld per the behavior of the child and expect a good outcome.  Combine that with the "game" aspect of Synanon that Seed and it's followers engaged in.  What a depraved undertaking.  All the excuses in the world don't cut it with this one.  Kids with 200 - 300 other kids fighting over who gets to scream at him and call him a bunch of names until he realizes his mistake.  Yeah, that's healthy!! :roll: Oh....wait!!!  I forgot, it's all OK cause we told 'em we loved 'em and it was all for their own good :roll:

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/cleopatra2u
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2004, 12:53:00 PM »
Well said, Anon.  :nworthy:
he trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »
On 2004-11-21 19:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

'well, if that's what it takes to clean out my brain then so be it'. Antigen hit it on the head.

Thanks, but I didn't come up w/ it. I remember hearing my parents and other say it when I was a kid. And I heard it more recently, too. A couple of years ago, one of my friends was cold calling down an old host homes list letting people know about an upcoming conference. One of the parents actually screamed that to her; "Well, you kids needed a good brainwashing!"

Tehe therapeutic community method is very, very effective! Not the least bit therapeutic, mind you. But astoundingly effective to some people.

As men's prayers are a disease of the will, so are their creeds a disease of the intellect.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, poet, philosopher

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »
Hey Ginger,

What is Smeagol?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »
He's a character in Lord of the Rings.

The nature of psychological compulsion is such that those who act under constraint remain under the impression that they are acting on their own initiative. The victim of mind-manipulation does not know that he is a victim. To him the walls of his prison are invisible, and he believes himself to be free. That he is not free is apparent only to other people. His servitude is strictly objective.

--Brave New World Revisited, Aldous Huxley, 1958

Offline nrifkin

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2006, 12:06:00 AM »
I too am looking for a seedling survivor Dawn Cookie C*** who was there during that time frame.  Understand she is now living in New England and Married to a Doctor.  I would love to reconnect and let her know she's been in mine nd others thoughts!

If anyone knows how to contact her or knows her married name please let me know.

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2006-03-27 10:55 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
Did Ginger work at the Seed in Ft. Luderdale with Lybbi?