Author Topic: More Trivia  (Read 53114 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
More Trivia
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »
That's understandable. It is a really rotten industry. Hope they make enough on their own so they can keep doing it forever.

Fear is the parent of cruelty, therefore it is no wonder if religion and cruelty have gone hand-in-hand.
--Bertrand Russell, British philosopher, educator, mathemetician, and social critic

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline rjfro22

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »
I remember seeing a local band called Conventry back in the very early 70's. I thought  for sure they would have made it.  I also remember Ted Nurgent opening for almost every other band at pirates world.                            

I personally don't remember seeing anyone at the Seed that had and great musical talent, there were some decent amatures that had ok voices,  and played a few cords on guitar

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »
But what do you think of Whirled Beet? And, btw, anybody remember Thom now? That kid looks more like him than he does himself.

Tough Love: Abuse of a type particularly enjoyable to the abuser, in that it combines the pleasures of sadism with those of self-righteousness. Commonly employed and widely admired in 12-step groups.
--Chaz Bufe

Offline Tony Stark

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2005, 08:08:00 AM »
I was in a band called"Sound Barrier after the Seed. I played bass, but didn't care much for the
"scene" it was too phoney.I got put in Straight anyway for it and escaped and got up with Uncle Sam. Still have my own music stuidio now and play bass, guitars, percussion,keyboards, and vocals. I even got a vitual 32 tracker that's compact midi. It makes Cd's. I do all my stuff alone now, but there was I time when I jumped through hoops for some jazz snobs. They later paid their dues and play with Richard Elliot now. Some British band stole our name and my name too. It's weird. even some asshole from Texas stole the name of my studio, so I turned that and my media research center into a multi- communications center and the studio has been newly built and I sleep out there. It's quiet at the sleeping hours. I remember Rob Huff from the Seed had some musical talent but I don't know what ever happened to him. I saw him at a festival some friends of mine were polaying in back in 77. I think"Dennis Novac" had a lot of comedy talenbt in his talent shows, but it seemed I was the only one that thought it was funny. I remember the "flying zambini brothers" That was funny. Some girl Named "Joy" had a musical gift and a painting gift. I remeber she painted a portrait of Art Barker. Very talented. :smokin:

It's an incredible con job when you think of it, to believe something now in exchange for life after death. Even corporations with all their reward systems don't try to make it posthumous.
--Gloria Steinam, women's rights activist

Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory Of the Coming Of The Lord\"

Offline Ican'tTalktoYou

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2005, 06:27:00 PM »
I seem to remember Joy.  Was she short with blond wavy hair and dimples?

I checked out the whirled beet website.  They're good...kinda funky and laid back.  Works for me.

Offline rjfro22

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2005, 10:58:00 PM »
There is new commercial on TV where they are using that old Donovan song " Happiness Runs" and of course it brings right me back to SR84 1973    "Happiness runs in a circular motion " love is a little boat apon the sea"   we split it up in harmony between the girls and the boys,   and at the end we all joined together singing " wh---y ?,  because ! ,wh---y ?, because !   WE'RE STRAIGHT!!!!!!
I think that's how it went.

Offline Thom

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2005, 08:21:00 AM »
weren't we 'chicks and dudes' or something?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2005, 09:14:00 AM »
Guys and chicks, Thom..

No dudes..that was "druggie" talk, But somehow, chicks was okay.

The place was  nutty, silly, and stupid...among other things.

Offline rjfro22

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2005, 03:09:00 PM »
looking back, I would definitly say we were girls and boys,  we were definitly stripped of the dude  and chick thing. I became a dude again when I got out of  the seed and florida.
Let's face Chicks and Dudes wouldn't sing dippidy-do-da

Offline Thom

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »
I think the purpose of guys and chicks (thanks Greg, for clarifying that) singing those kinds of songs was an attempt to let us enjoy a part of our childhood which may have been delayed/suspended/skipped due to our choice to numb our emotions w/drugs. I know personally, I would have been 'too cool' to sing that stuff  (and I can still 'hear' Susie Conners saying) "...when I was a DRUGGIEEE"  

::soapbox::
My emotional, spiritual, and in many respects, mental development were essentially shut down when I joined the ranks of the drug using/authority-hating cult(ure). The Seed attempted to jump-start that maturity process with some honesty, kinda like a defibulator. Keep in mind, that's the experience of someone who signed himself into the Seed :exclaim: (the act of waving arms wildly, and screaming, jumping up and down, etc.) originated with BOB Barker and that program, NOT ART Barker, and The Seed.

To butcher a great line from 'Cool Hand Luke', What we have heah...is Flailure...to communicate

I think I know where I got off track! I thought the 11th step said 'Sought through beer and medication to remove our conscious contact w/ God...I plead lysdexia![ This Message was edited by: Thom on 2005-03-08 14:33 ]

Offline korne

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »
I never entered the Seed though I had several friends that did.  Hollywood was a crazy place in the 70's and despite the "cult" like status of the seed,  I suppose it helped a lot of people.  I moved to Hollywood from Pennsylvania at 13 and grew-up very fast... too fast.  Does anyone remember Brian Marder, Tim Carney, Larry Leibovits or Joe Iorio?  None of them went to the seed, but they were my best friends and could have used some help.  For me, I joined the Air Force at 18 and it was my Seed.  For some reason, now at 48, I still think a lot of Hollywood, though I have not been in touch with anyone since 1977.  I travel a lot now and visit Hollywood beach about twice a year.  I still remember posing as a surfer, playing paddleball and hanging out.  Some great memories.  

Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked,  and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that  the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque  self-deception."  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0517150735/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger, 1916, Ch.9

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »
I think the nursery songs were part of the effort to force an infantile state of mind. Think about how vitally important your status was. Newcomer, oldcomer, oldcomer at home, old timer, staff, sr staff. I've read where in the later years, when Seedlings were pretty much all adults, they still refered to themselves as "seed kids".

The truth about brainwashing is that it can't be done to you with your cooperation. If you understand what's being done then the illusion fails.

Check out Lifton's criteria. http://fornits.com/anonanon/docs/lifton-criteria.txt

Totalitarianism is like a specter which drinks the blood of the living and so achieves reality, while the victims go on existing as a mass of living corpses.

Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »
OK here we go again. Singing those songs was to let certain emotions out that we were too cool to do. Hey it helped me.  I don't go around singing them today.(maybe I think I am too cool now)
 :silly:

Offline marshall

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »
<"I don't go around singing them today.(maybe I think I am too cool now)">

Your head is obviously waaay out of whack. Check your attitude. First things first and those songs should come first. How can you justify not singing them?

I still sing them....
with my preschool grandchildren. 'I'm a little teapot short and stout...'

On a more serious note...it is obviously part of korean mindcontrol technique. OK, still kidding. But seriously seriously, I've watched my kids and lots of others grow up over the years and it's not uncommon for teens to be unsure of how grown-up or mature they are. They still feel like little kids inside (I know I did) and try to compensate for this insecurity by trying to 'act' mature or cool. Once people begin to actually mature inside, the need to act mature or inhibit emotions (act cool) subsides. All of this has little to do with being an asshole, using drugs, or being a bad person. It's just normal development. One of the more useful things I learned via the seed was the direct correlation between ego and insecurity. The greater the insecurity, the greater the need to appear confident & hide this insecurity...even from ourselves. Now when I detect this insecurity within myself, I simply stay with it and examine it rather than immediately run away and try to cover it up via images and play-acting.
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
More Trivia
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »
Thom said...."My emotional, spiritual, and in many respects, mental development were essentially shut down when I joined the ranks of the drug using/authority-hating cult(ure)."
-------------------------------------

Thom, help me here because I am confused. I thought you were a 14 year old child without a drug problem when you went in the seed. Is this wrong? How then did joining the ranks of the non drug using/authoritarian yet authority hating cult(ure) of the seed help anything? You were a child Thom...picture your own son at 14 locked down, isolated, screamed at and forced to sing humiliating childish songs and then ostracised at school for being a part of a weird fringe group. Wish that on him?

And yes, the restriction of freedom along with the singing of child songs is a simple yet effective mind control technique used by cults the world thruout.