Author Topic: Mikey slashing his wrists  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Jimmy Cusick

• View Profile
Mikey slashing his wrists
« on: December 17, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »
I read the post on the guy that killed himself and I found that very "heavy". I really feel sorry for the guy and his family. Years have gone by but that doesnt make it any less than a disaster.

This post is about my WORST seed memory. I've successfully hidden it amongst the cobwebs in my cerebral graymatter. It appeared today, kinda like the tasmanian devil as I read about the suicide of a seedling.

In the winter of 74-75 I was living with the O'Neil's, they were a family from Cleveland Heights and Had 2 kids in the seed in Florida (Chris and John). We lived in an apartment in Plantation. For reasons I dont remember Mrs. O'Neil, a newcomer named Mike and I were alone in the apartment getting prepared to go into the seed. I was in the bedroom while Mike was in the bathroom and I must have been psychic because I remember seeing in my mind a wrist slashed and a razor blade cutting arteries. A moment later I heard Mike scream and I went into the bathroom to see that He had slit both of his wrists and the bright red blood was pumping out all over the place. I called Mrs. O'Neil and we both stood there and freaked for a moment. Then we got handtowels and wrapped his wrists and put belts on to make turnaquets? I had blood all over me but time had slowed down and at age 16 I was in control of the situation telling Mrs. O'Neil to get her car so we could take him to the hospital

My next memory is several days later he came into the group at the seed, he had surgery on both wrists and had thick bandages on his arms. I also remember Libby talking to me, she told me to try not to get to upset that it wasnt my fault and she patted me on the back for helping to save the kids life.

I just cant remember what prompted the kid to do that , obviously he didnt like himself very much but I dont recall if he was in any trouble at home or in the seed to propel him into a suicide attempt. :smokin:  :smokin:  :wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
That's an awful story.  Did he receive any counseling (professional, not Seed staff)?  How did they 'treat' him?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 03:48:00 PM »
You JUST remembered that?  At least as interesting to me is that you would have forgotten such a traumatic experience.

There is a story from the st pete seed where a girl attempted to slit her wrists in the seed bathroom because of the extreme mental duress she was under. She was told not to tell her parents because she had "put her mom thru enough already".  Later she escaped and was so scared to go home for fear of being returned to the seed she lived in the woods for a week.

Oh yeah, she was 15 years old at the time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 06:23:00 PM »
I had tried to do slit my wrist while on the front row.  In my case it was because I was starting to really see the kind of person I had become before I came in the Seed.  But instead of learning from my past I just wanted to hide everything and not have to change.  Fortunately for me all I had was a safety razer so I couldn't do much.  That was my turning point on the program.  I starting really learning about myself and changing my life around.  I finally felt at peace in my life and was for once in my life starting to feel happy.  If I had not gone to the Seed I would definately have ended it all.  This is why I truly appreciate being able to go to the Seed and learn so much about myself and how to love others and be able to help others as well.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »
Interesting. If you are new anon, Welcome. Please consider choosing a user name and telling us a seed story!

You sure that was the reason you tried to slash your wrists so long ago.

Did you get pyshciatric care? Medical attention?

Were your parents notified?

holy crap, maybe this was more common than I thought....

Offline marshall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 12:52:00 AM »
My oldcomer tried to kill himself right after he graduated his program. He hadn't gone back to using drugs or hanging with his old friends or any of the usual seed-defined behaviours that might have caused one on their program to get started over.

Instead of slashing his wrists, one night he simply veered his car into the left lane and into an oncoming truck. He readily admitted that this was no accident, bur rather an attempted suicide. Amazingly, he survived this head-on collision on a highway near miami.

I think this sort of thing is much more common than many might believe among seed graduates. Since it reflected badly upon the seed, such cases were not spoken of openly.
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 01:34:00 AM »
On 2004-12-17 16:20:00, GregFL wrote:

holy crap, maybe this was more common than I thought...."

Ya think??  Many of us had problems before ever coming into the Seed and left carrying the same burdens we came in with.  Yes, the Seed gave me the tools but it was up to me to utilize them...or not.  I'm so sorry for those who left this planet in pain, not knowing they were loved and "one of us".
bid you peace!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 03:20:00 AM »
You sure that was the reason you tried to slash your wrists so long ago.

Did you get pyshciatric care? Medical attention?

Were your parents notified?

holy crap, maybe this was more common than I thought....

I know that was the reason.  It was in my mind at the time the easy way out.  I would not have to admit to myself the kind of person that I had become.  Like Robin stated this was a part of me way before I ever entered the Seed.  They gave me the tools to change and it was up to me to do so.  

I don't think my family found out abouth this happening of which I am glad.  I did not require any medical attention.  It was superficial.  

I have had some tragedies in my life, but each time this is when I have learned alot and grown the most spriritually.  I look at this as a learning experience in my life.  I just thought that it might give others an insight into why someone may have done this.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »
I think anytime you hear of anyone attempting suicide it's very disturbing.  I personally never heard of these events but my xwife did attempt suicide before and after our marriage not durring.  Actually after we were divorced she went back to college got a degree. Finished top of her class. Then attempted.  I don't know all the details we are not in touch.  I've tried she does not want contact.  I agree with Robin If you have problems and don't take the help- believe me she was under major psychiatric care. I did meet with some of her doctors.  The truth is some people do not want to get well. I'm sorry to say.
I wish her well but thats all I can do.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 08:44:00 AM »
there are more than a few St Pete seed graduates that died as obvious suicides or under questionable circumstances.

To the anon above, I am glad you were able to work thru it and we welcome your participation here.  I do remember many people breaking off pieces of the wooden chairs and cutting their arms and/or wrists with them. Most often it resulted in a superficial wound...but not always. I remember one guy being come down on hard in bandages from it in St Pete.

The seed, if nothing more, had an obligation, a legal and moral obligation, to notify the parents of these suicide attempts so they could decide which direction to go.  They never did to my best estimation.

Offline Jimmy Cusick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »
Greg, The reason that I didnt remember Mikey's attempted suicide is because of "repressed" memories. The dictionary defines repressed as: The rejection from conciousness of anything unpleasant. That can be sexual abuse as a child or combat experiences in a war or a suicide or attempted suicide concerning someone we know. For years I didnt believe in repressed memories as my sisters accused someone very close of abusing them when they were children but didnt remember that until adulthood. I spoke to a psychologist with a P.H.D. who  stated that repressed memories are very real.

My memory was triggered by reading a post about a suicide. Mikey's attempted suicide was associated with that and it took a direct avenue into my conciousness

I dont remember what ever happened to Mikey. Did the seed insist that he see a shrink? Was he sent to a therapist? Did the surgery work to repair his tendons? Did he stay at the seed and work out his problems? In my 14 months and 17 days at the Florida seed I never remember hearing about or seeing a  psychiatrist or psychologist. I dont know what happened to the kids with serious mental or emotional problems, I suspect they just dissappeared as I dont think that would be talked about in group

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »
No way in God's green Earth would Art ever recomend a shrink. Don't you remember the tirades against professional psychiatry?

Here's the thing, though. The Seed would take any teenager. Some Seedlings, especially younger brothers and sisters, landed on front row just for posession of a druggie attitude. Many kids landed up there because a Seedling, who had made their newcomer confession, had been a friend (so, naturally, that kid must be a druggie too seeing as how druggieness is such a highly contagious disease effecting 90% of all youth, right?)

So the typical Seed intake population was pretty representative of the broader population of kids. However, Seedlings and Straightlings have a rate of suicide attempts and success far and away higher than the general population. Every single suicide attempt I've ever heard of among people I've known personally was a Program client. Not one of my olddruggiefriends or their friends who had not gone through the Program has tried to kill themselves that I ever heard about.

Dude, I'm sorry you were so despondent that you tried to slit your wrists w/ a safety razor. And I can just imagine the come down rap afterward and how therapeutic that was for you. But I do not believe that you were driven to this kind of desperation by realizing the truth about yourself. I think the Programming got to ya. It happened to a lot of kids.

Know what Bobby DuPont used to tell reporters about it? He said that suicidal ideation was part of withdrawal from marijuana. What a fucking load! No, suicidal ideation is a possible consequence of isolation, sleep management, severe stress and extreme humiliation. Bobby DuPont knew this when he gave Art $1 Million+ to expand The Seed.

you Momma is a big fat's ________
--Leroy Brown

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »
On 2004-12-18 09:24:00, Antigen wrote:

"No way in God's green Earth would Art ever recomend a shrink. I TOTALLY AGREE

Not one of my olddruggiefriends or their friends who had not gone through the Program has tried to kill themselves that I ever heard about.

I think the Programming got to ya...What a fucking load!

"

OK Ginge, let me give you a reality check and tell you about some of MY olddruggiefriends: Ed-18, (one of those perpetually happy people, that always offered his shoulder to cry on) found dead from asphyxiation sitting in his running VW parked in a closed garage; My ex-boyfriend, Paul-16 in Jr. High, straight A student, spoke Latin fluently (his 3rd language) - took so much acid over a period of time, he fried his brain.  (I had previously broke up w/ him because he was spiraling down quickly)  He was in and out of mental institutions and when I visited him at his mom?s house after I graduated Seed, he was but a shell of a person;  Debbie-17, shot something into her arm that ?would finally end the pain? - it did; then there was Daryl-17, after raping a girl and having her boyfriend watch, fatally shot the two young lovers on Dunedin Beach one night ? serving time on death row unless he's already gone.

None of these kids were in the Seed - just me! and next month I'm going to be celebrating ANOTHER year on this planet...go figure.

DO NOT think your reality is everyones - it isn't.

Peace
bid you peace!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »
On 2004-12-18 16:47:00, Robin Martin wrote
OK Ginge, let me give you a reality check and tell you about some of MY olddruggiefriends: Ed-18, (one of those perpetually happy people, that always offered his shoulder to cry on) found dead from asphyxiation sitting in his running VW parked in a closed garage; My ex-boyfriend, Paul-16 in Jr. High, straight A student, spoke Latin fluently (his 3rd language) - took so much acid over a period of time, he fried his brain.  (I had previously broke up w/ him because he was spiraling down quickly)  He was in and out of mental institutions and when I visited him at his mom?s house after I graduated Seed, he was but a shell of a person;  Debbie-17, shot something into her arm that ?would finally end the pain? - it did; then there was Daryl-17, after raping a girl and having her boyfriend watch, fatally shot the two young lovers on Dunedin Beach one night ? serving time on death row unless he's already gone.

None of these kids were in the Seed - just me! and next month I'm going to be celebrating ANOTHER year on this planet...go figure.

DO NOT think your reality is everyones - it isn't.

Peace"

Well, let's see.  Here's the opposite side of that coin.  Of the friends I hung out with before going in, all, I repeat...ALL are fairly successful, well adjusted, happy people.  These were people that were all doing many more drugs than I would have dreamed of doing before going in.  Somehow they made it through adolescense without benefit of any program.  I, on the other hand, was considered a 'lightweight' before going in.  How is it that I came out of there with so many problems/issues/PTSD and ended up more screwed up than I was before going in, but the people who I was told were going to die because they weren't as lucky as I was or as loved as I was, are fine?????

To borrow from you....DO NOT think your reality is everyones - it isn't.

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 09:29:00 PM »
On 2004-12-18 17:51:00, Anonymous wrote: Somehow they made it through adolescense without benefit of any program.

NO DOUBT...but I wasn't one of them.  All I'm saying is some of us needed it, many did not.  I also believe it takes a strong spirit to be able to seek help and move on.  Some of us are stronger than others...others are more sensative.  We all handle difficult situations in our own unique way.  I've had some very traumatic incidents over the years (and even when I questioned giving up) I DID NOT give in!!  I remain in contact w/ ex-druggie friends of mine who were walking down that same path as I, and you know what??  They just quit doing drugs - just like that!!  How did they do that? I have no idea - it was not in me at the time and I NEEDED assistance. I'm sorry that so many of you suffered at the hands of the Seed, but I, did not.
bid you peace!