Author Topic: Sundown Ranch in Canton Texas  (Read 12691 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
Sundown Ranch in Canton Texas
« on: December 16, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Sundown Ranch, Inc. a.k.a. Sundown Recovery Center (or Ranch academy) in Canton, Texas????? It sounds a lot like Straight, Inc
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline shawneesprite

• View Profile
    • http://caffeinefree.livejournal.com
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »
yes! It was between there and PCS for me. my parents sent me to PCS...
I haven't found a friend who stayed sober after sundown though.
seay center of dallas, tx sent a lot of people there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »
My 17 yo daughter is at Sundown Ranch for alcohol recovery. This is our first (and I hope only) experience with these services. My wife and I are physicians. We are TOTALLY impressed. They are superb. My daughter has done well and our family has progressed as well. Something none of the counselors at our institution were able to do. They just won a very prestigious JCAHO award. Having dealt with JCAHO for over 20 years, this award is a huge accomplishment.

If "in your face" offends you or you aren't serious, don't go there. If you want and are willing to accept help, it is a great place. It has totally changed all the members of our family for the better. By the way, it is not a chain. The Ranch Academy is their charter school that is a separate entity. This is done to maintain anonymity for those in school. Good luck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »
:grin: My 18 year old son was there for six weeks over five years ago.  What a great place!  He has been sober for over five years, has graduated from college with a BA in Psychology, and is working as a Substance Abuse Counselor.  Sundown was exactly what all of our family needed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 09:12:00 PM »
Sundown Ranch is a joke. They escalate kids then medicate them. I witnessed this process firsthand and would NOT recommend this treatment cult. They have no coherent theoretical approach and their staff is only reactive. For an adolescent with a substance abuse problem, more yelling and screaming is pointless and money wasted on Sundown's brand of "treatment."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »
My then 16 year old daughter was there for 4 months in 2000.  The counselors helped her deal with the real issues in her life that drove her to drug abuse.  She has able to identify many addictive behaviors and today still tells me "Remember what my counslors taught me about that Mom!"  She's clean and sober today because of that place.  They have a phenominal program!  She only hated me for a year & putting here there against her will was the hardest choice I ever had to make in my life.  But it was the best! Only a few months ago she came and thanked me for it.  Sundown Ranch is a good place!

Offline Scarstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 04:23:00 AM »
Too bad you cant teach her about life and raise her yourself..Congrats = you are a failure as a parent.
b] KATHY DAVID IS A CHILD MOLESTOR[/b]
\"You knew I was a snake when you picked me up\" ~S.S

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »
If indeed the name is Sundown Ranch, they are not listed with the state as an RTC or Therapeutic camp.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »
I'll tell you one thing for sure...this place is about to have the MOST awesome therapist available to anyone, anywhere.  I'll tell you another thing for sure...he would have never accepted the position had he not totally believed that this is a great place.  The youngsters there will truely be blessed with a most caring individual.  He came into my life and changed so much for the best.  I am so sorry to lose him here, but know that he is going on to do for someone else what he has done for me.  To know that he will help so much in that way makes me happy for the youngsters there and for what I know he will accomplish for the facility and for the youngsters.  I'm sorry your experience was not good.  But, again;  this man would not have accepted the position had he not been for sure it would be a great place to work for.

Offline groovy1634

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »
On 2005-03-18 01:23:00, Scarstruck wrote:

"Too bad you cant teach her about life and raise her yourself..Congrats = you are a failure as a parent.
"

i agree....totally
EOW  

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
So the highly ethical therapist is going to work for a unethical program that is not licensed?
Hmmm?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
My son was there about a year ago. Prior to his admission, we had tried several places in the DFW area without success.  He spent six weeks the SDR and it was the best thing we ever did. I do believe it saved his life.  We changed his school and has new friends.  The jury is still out but we are most hopeful. SDR gave us hope and peace of mind. The staff is great and I will always be grateful they were there when we most needed them.

Folks when it comes to drug abuse, there is no magic bullet. We continuously monitor his activities, we have spent a lot of money and time on private counseling and family participation. As far as I am concerned, SDR is a fantastic place.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »
On 2005-10-12 10:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My son was there about a year ago. Prior to his admission, we had tried several places in the DFW area without success.  He spent six weeks the SDR and it was the best thing we ever did. I do believe it saved his life.  We changed his school and has new friends.  The jury is still out but we are most hopeful. SDR gave us hope and peace of mind. The staff is great and I will always be grateful they were there when we most needed them.

Folks when it comes to drug abuse, there is no magic bullet. We continuously monitor his activities, we have spent a lot of money and time on private counseling and family participation. As far as I am concerned, SDR is a fantastic place."

So what did SDR do that you as a parent could not do?  You counsel, you monitor, you teach, you guide.  What did you need SDR - or any program - to do?
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 01:23:00 AM »
i went to sundown for 7 weeks during the summer of 2004, and it was referred by the seay center. sundown did not help me in any way. all the kids that were there when i went had no plans of staying clean. my friend was admitted to sundown ranch earlier today, and i only hope that she is in the extremely small percentage of kids that recover. she and i are heavy meth users, something i didnt get into until after i got out of sundown, and i can actually say this from my own experience that sundown ranch is a joke. if you are considering SRI as an option for you child, please keep looking!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 01:21:00 AM »
On 2005-12-07 22:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

"i went to sundown for 7 weeks during the summer of 2004, and it was referred by the seay center. sundown did not help me in any way. all the kids that were there when i went had no plans of staying clean. my friend was admitted to sundown ranch earlier today, and i only hope that she is in the extremely small percentage of kids that recover. she and i are heavy meth users, something i didnt get into until after i got out of sundown, and i can actually say this from my own experience that sundown ranch is a joke. if you are considering SRI as an option for you child, please keep looking!!!"

^i wrote this 3 weeks ago, and today she came home  on a pass. things have changed, she is doing well and will be out soon. SRI is changing me even 1.5 years later...

rehabilitation only works if you want it