Author Topic: The St Pete Seed,1973. Examples of extreme coersion used.  (Read 1628 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
The St Pete Seed,1973. Examples of extreme coersion used.
« on: December 10, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »
The Seed used to strip search people and occasionally find drugs on them. These drugs would be placed in a location and the people were told if they ran, they would turn the drugs over to the police.

Now, we know this practice is illegal, holding illegal drugs over one's head in order to force them to do something or behave in a certain way. In fact there is a legal term for it...extorsion.

Another aspect of the illegality of this practice is that you cannot go to the police and say, "I found this marijuana on John Smith" and then have John Smith arrested.  However, with the Chief of police, the judges and the prosecuting attorney of Pinellas county all having Kids in the program, times were tough for individual liberties.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 04:23:00 PM »
Here is an example of an order placing a 20 year old "kid" in the Seed. Notice there is no mention of any arrest just the judge saying he thinks he should go.  

ORDER DRIECTING PLACEMENT AT THE SEED

This cause coming on to be heard this date upon the petition of XXXXX X XXXXXXXX, guardian of the person of XXXXX X XXXXX, a minor, for an order directing said minor's placement at the seed in St Petersvurg, Florida, and it appearing unto the court after a hearing on said petition that it is in the best interest of said minor that he be placed accordingly.  It is therefore ORDERED AND ADJUDGED that XXXX  X XXXXX, a minor, be placed forthwith at the Seed in St. Petersburg, Florida, until such time as said minor has successfully completed the Seed program or until further order of this court.

DONE AND ORDERED in chambers at St. Petersburg, Florida, this 26th Day of June, 1973

circuit Judge.

This case made the newspapers because it happened days before his 21st birthday and Florida at the time considered you a minor until your 21st birthday. There was no charge, only a mother and a lawyer (Who was also a seed parent) petitioning another Seed parent (who was the judge) to admit her kid. Also notice he was sentenced indefinitely by the court until he "sucessfully" completed the program.

No trial, no innocent until proven guilty, just a group of Seed parents using the force of law and the advantage of their positions to conspire to admit a grown man against his will into a treatment facility.

Those were the days my friend...we thought they'd never end....

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »
The ACLU had major concerns about what was going on back then and kept running up against roadblocks. On the issue listed above, Here is some interoffice correspondance between the Miami ACLU and the Pinellas  ACLU. This was in response to The Miami office asking for assistance as follows...from Charles Mays ACLU Miami..

"discreet form of blackmail was employed to assure that his client participate in the seed. I suspect that this incidence is no isolated situation and is often employed to assure participation in the seed...would appreciate it if your office can render assistance in investigating cases of this nature and forward me any and all information that you may have on Seed and government involvement.

The Pinellas response...

August 14, 1973

Dear Mr. Mays,

I'm not sure I can be of much help to you concerning your investigation of the Seed's operational procedures and governmental involvement. I have had only a brief exposure to the mysterious dealings of the "Drug rehabilitation program."

During the early part of July I had occasion to meet an eighteen year old who had just been sentenced to six months in the Seed, said sentence being imposed by a local municipal judge.  Druing the course of the investigation of that incident I learned that certain police officers had retained  a quantity of evidence seized during the course of the youth's arrest. The police retained this evidence to use as a threat, thus any effort on my part to have the sentence of the court vacated would have exposed the youth to felony charges.  I therefore abandoned my effort to aid him, as I could do nothing that would really "help" him.

However, I have learned that the above method of retaining evidence (either by the police or the Seed itself) is not uncommon. I have spoken to several circuit court judges, in the sarea, and they are not at all impressed with the Seed's attitude of being above the law.  Other than the aforementioned confrerences I have not had a chance to challenge the Seed's authority to completely deprive an offender of his basic rights.

I do know that it is very difficult to visit a "seedling" while he is at the Seed.  During my brief term as the aforementioned youth's counsel I literally had to threaten the people of the Seed before they would even allow me to talk to my client.

There are a great many questions concerning the Seed that need to be answered.  Both the methods of "obtaining" Seedlings and the method of indoctrination need to be aired so that all can see how close 1984 really is.

I am sorry that I cannot be of much assistance in your investigation.  If I ever get a client again, who, like the aforementioned youth, was railroaded into the program, I definitely plan to raise hell, but unitl then I really have no standing.

Sincerely,

John Henninger.

Just a note...John Henninger was the director of the Pinellas ACLU. I never got to thank him before his death for his assistance several years later in my case  when my father and another seed parent,  the chief of police of St Pete, tried the very same thing on me.  Mr. Henninger leaned on the court to dismiss the bogus charges and suggested to my mom that she pick me up and leave Pinellas county immediately, don't even stop for gas.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 04:51:00 PM »
again, from Mr. Henninger's letter.

"There are a great many questions concerning the Seed that need to be answered. Both the methods of "obtaining" Seedlings and the method of indoctrination need to be aired so that all can see how close 1984 really is."

Damn this guy was sharp.

:nworthy:

Rest in peace Sir, wherever you are.