Author Topic: successfull seed graduates  (Read 11670 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
successfull seed graduates
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »
Damn, Cleveland! I just got back from a rather stressful week away from home; one of many recently. Thanks for the much needed dose of zen.

Here's my first thought in that vein (no pun intended) Some people get themselves off on discovery or accomplishment or serving others or building a legacy or some combination. I'm not talking giving more than your fair share 9 - 5. I'm talking about pursuing this opus to the point of totally and utterly neglecting other concerns, like getting adequate sleep and nutrition, paying proper attention to a family (having a family to begin with), finances.  

Those who become completely obsessed like this become elite surgeons. And some of the most obsessive among those remain on staff at hospitals as attending physicians, making a pittance of what they could make in private practice, just to get the hard doses coming regularly. If it were booze or heroin or some other medicine instead of medicin as a profession, you'd describe these people as totally dysfunctional basket cases and (some of ya'll) recomend meetings.

It's all in your perspective, really; what's important to you and to those who are important to you.

Question. If every cloud has a silver lining, would that include mushroom clouds?

The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, poet, philosopher

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2004, 11:27:00 PM »
On 2004-12-09 07:26:00, Anonymous wrote:

Truth is folks, there's nothing really wrong with any of us. These are learned patterns that were imposed from the outside in - completely external.

If you happen to run into one of my brothers, would you try and explain that to him please? They won't believe me when I try to tell them.

All contemporary religions and churches, all and every kind of religious organization, Marxism has always viewed as organs of bourgeois reaction, serving as a defense of exploitation and the doping of the working-classes.
--Nikolai Lenin, Russian revolutionary

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2004, 07:33:00 AM »
Antigen, I got to say some days I wonder if the fumes from the mushroom cloud have affected you in an odd way.  Possibly its me, but I have a hard time following you.  I still picture you in army boots & camouflage.(in my own mind)  On one hand you come off extremely intelligent but you go off on these weird angles that on more than one occasion I can prove you wrong because I witnessed events or facts that you have totally
twisted or you have a totally unrealistic view of and I'm not trying to be cruel but you looked at these things from a young kids point of view.  I know nothing of straight inc but I do know the Seed or at least 30 years worth.  How old were you the last time you stepped foot into the Seed?

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2004, 09:37:00 AM »
I'd love to.  It took me 30+ years to figure that out, lots of therapy, many, many tears and a whole lot of other bullshit that I won't bother to go into.  And yet, it's so simple. I wonder why others can't see it.  

I expect there will always be people I disagree with.  However, disagreement is sometimes only a matter of perspective. Like your example of the physician obsessed with saving lives.  Does the result of the obsession make it any better? I dunno. But if I had to choose between the 9-5 guy who can go home and leave it all behind and not worry about my well-being versus the obsessed, driven healer, I'd pick the obsessed guy.  But then, that's just me.

Thanks for all of your hard work here on this site.  The explosion that has been my life over the past years is finally being sorted out, ordered and somewhat contained. The information, feed back and ideas here are invaluable and eyou are all doing a wonderful thing. Thank you all, again.

Stripe
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »
The above is directed to Antigen.  I'll get the hang of the quote and reply methodology eventually.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »
Ginger-Antigen,

I suspect you are one of the obsessive people you write about!

It's interesting - in my own family, I can see my brother, who's obsessively driven to succeed, to push the limits, and to win. He's a very successful journalist, and he leads an exciting life. He gets a kick out of travelling to Iraq in the midst of war or infiltrating a White Supremecist training compound. I prefer less sensational past times - playing piano, drawing, reading. I think we inherited slightly different needs for stimulation, excitement, drive. He's nationally known - while I'm respected by a small circle of friends.

My parents are obsessively driven people - extremely intense, self-obsessed. They've both been terrific successes, celebrated by all, as well total failures in one way or another.

Most of the hard core drug/alcohol users I've known are obsessive types - they go from being devils to angels with the same verve. So Art Barker, down and out alcoholic, becomes Art Barker, savior of america's youth. Do you follow?

I think at this point in my life I've had it with heroes and gurus, I am kind of drawn to the quiet people who tend to keep out of the spotlight. Maybe it's due to my own experiences.

So if you define success as acclaim, power, money - that's one way. But there are other successes that are more inward. Because I have largely 'failed' to win the big outward stuff I have looked more inward, it's more my personality.

To each his own!
ally Gator

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2004, 10:32:00 AM »
On 2004-12-14 04:33:00, Ft. Lauderdale wrote:

Possibly its me, but I have a hard time following you.

Simple, straightforward and explains a lot. Sounds like a good theory, maybe it is you.

You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.
--Albert Einstein

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2004, 11:00:00 AM »
Antigen - as usual you avoided the question.  How old were you thelast time you stepped foot at the Seed?  Is this a difficult question? :???:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »
On 2004-12-14 07:28:00, cleveland wrote:

Most of the hard core drug/alcohol users I've known are obsessive types - they go from being devils to angels with the same verve. So Art Barker, down and out alcoholic, becomes Art Barker, savior of america's youth. Do you follow?

Yeah, exactly that!

Stripe, I'd stick w/ the obsessed doctors too!

My point is that the obsessed doctor and the obsessed addict are basically operating on the same mechanism. The big difference is in how people view their obsession.

Nother example. My 15yo spends a whole lot of time at the computer, playing games, chatting w/ friends. Some might say she's obsessed. And there's a lot written in pop media about internet addiction and such. No one's offering to pay her for it at this point.

My husband and I started out the same way 10 or 15 years ago w/ local BBSs. No one was offering to pay us for that either, but it was just so damned much fun. Challenging, too, since we couldn't afford to buy good machines but, instead, had to build them from scraps and bartered items.

Now we get paid to do this. Not huge sacks of cash, but enough to support our family fairly well w/o having to commute, punch a clock, buy work clothes, etc. So instead of describing us as obsessed geeks w/ a serious problem, people use kinder terms like driven, dedicated, hard working. Shit, Bill's boss has been calling him "Super Warb" since his first week on the job around 10 years ago.

My point is that these behaviors that practitioners of Stepcraft frame as illness in need of treatment are not. Bad choices? In many cases, undoubtably. But pathology? Well, ok, but then we have to admit that our brilliant surgeon or system administrator is also pathological. It's like the wife who told her shrink that her husband thinks he's a chicken. But it's not a problem cause they needed the eggs.

If triangles had a God, He'd have three sides.
--Old Yiddish proverb

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »
Brilliant observation Ging.

I have often said the amount of true addiction in people is vastly overstated. Oh sure it exists, but mostly people just obsessively consume and compulsively do things.

This is why cigarrettes are so damn hard to kick. If nicotene was the horribly addictive drug people claim it to be, then we could just administer nicotene orally or via skin transfer (patch) and cure most everyone of smoking. We all know we can't. Why not?

I submit it is the delivery method that people become compulsively attached to. The smoke, the oral fixation, the warmth, the comraderie of other smokers, the rebellousness of it.  

Sure smokers are addicted to nicotene, but the compusion to the delivery method in my opinion is a much bigger draw. Given the choice of cigarettes without nicotene or nicotene without cigarrettes, hands down nicotene would be the loser by a HUGE margin.

I could go on and on with examples here, but in my opinion stepcraft and its various incarnations is nothing short of sorcery, that is it only works because people believe it to and it replaces one compulsion with an obsession, the obsession to belong to an exclusive group and rise up thru the ranks.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »
FL, I was 15. I think Ginger was around 17 or 18.  What is the point of the age thing? I remember it well and have gone back to open meeting at the modern day seeds to refresh my memory.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
No I think she was like 12.  I'm talking seed not straight inc?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »
that Ft Laud is like comparing a florida orange to a california orange.

Straight was started, run, and founded by seed people. I knew them all.

No major difference, just a slight taste variance..you know, like the oranges.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »
Greg is that you posting anonymously.  I'd have to say big differences in programs. I'd say apples and oranges.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
::ftard::  ::ftard::