Author Topic: Poll about Alcoholics Anonymous  (Read 14026 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Poll about Alcoholics Anonymous
« on: November 16, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »
I was wondering, how many of you:

(1) Think AA stinks and uses shame and fear to intimidate people into changing their behavior

(2) Think AA is OK for people who really need some immediate help but not good for the long-term

(3) Think AA is good for people who like it and not for people who don't

(4) Think AA is great for all people who are alcoholics wether they like it or not

AND, do you think your opinion is shaped by your straight experience or independent of it??

JUST CURIOUS

:wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Sophie

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »
My experience is that AA or NA or whatever 12 step program you go to ONLY works if you want it to.  I don't think shame,fear or coercian (sp?) factor into it because you make the choice to be there. (unless of course you are court ordered which a violation of the traditions of all of those programs and regardless of that is total bullshit).

I think my time in straight has influenced all areas of my life. But, I don't think it has colored this issue specifically.  Treatment and 12 step meetings are totally different things.

Of course, this is just my opinion!  :grin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
(1) Think AA stinks and uses shame and fear to intimidate people into changing their behavior :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
If the alcoholics are so anonymous, why do they stand up and tell everyone their name?

If I was one legged, I would not want to spend all my time in a room of one leggers talking about my missing leg all day....

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »
AA is for QUITTERS.

I cannot see how a man of any large degree of humorous perception can ever be religious -- unless he purposely shut the eyes of his mind and keep them shut by force.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
Not sure that in your list of choices my viewpoint is available as a choice.

AA saved my drunk ass.

Is it for all alcoholics...No
Are there other alternatives...Yes

My experience in working with the the mental health system and Detox's in the area is that they will only recommend AA..(what else can treatment centers offer?) Althought there are other avenues for a drunk to survive, treatments centers I have worked in historically have reccomended AA. There are other methods for a drunk to stay sober....say....by not drinking.

Is my opinion shaped by my "Straight Experience", absolutely. The Straight Experience is one of the major filters that help to form an opinion on most anything...for better or worse, Straight left an impression on me, and as such it effects my opinions, reaction, and responces to my surroundings...especially institiutions that claim to have an amswer........
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »
My biggest problem is with the first few words of the first step of AA, or Straight, or LIFE or whatever:

"Admit we are powerless...."

Sheer Bullshit!!!

:roll:
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »
I wasted all of my twenties and most of my thirties partly through the abuse of alcohol.  Once I became aware of my bi-polar disorder, I was like "Oh, so that explains it, I drank to relieve a chemical imbalance."  It was still a cop-out plain and simple.  My older sister attendend narc-anon meetings because her ex-husband was a total fry head, and when I fell upon hard times and needed to stay at her place, attending AA meetings were part of her demands for a roof over my head.  I thought nothing of it and nearly shit myself when a former landlady was at the meeting.  

I had put this poor woman through hell as a tenant.  I would do shit like come home drunk as shit from the rock club and ride up the sidewalk on my motorcycle at 2 in the morning.  If that were'nt enough, I hit a pile of wet leaves on the sidewalk while braking, lost control and hit the side of her house so fuckin hard that I knocked out some of the foundation blocks from their moorings.  But there sat Mrs. Eastman, all ears to hear me stand up and admit to being an alcoholic.  Instead, I stood up, said my first name and stated that I had bipolar disorder and that since receiving medication, I no longer drank like a fish.

I could'nt bring myself to "give in" so to speak and was smug in my decision until a lady I had not seen in quite some time came up and introduced herself.  She was gorgeous, looked like Barbara Bach/Daisy Duke,  we used to pal around together.  I apologized for putting a cigarette burn in her car years earlier, and she apologized for doing multiple donuts through Woodlawn Circle at 70 miles per hour cuz I could'nt find her any pot one night.  I awkwardly asked her on a date, and she replied, "You are'nt ready yet," and patted me on the shoulder.  It would be years before I would come to realize what she meant.  This was around 1987.

I saw her in the grocery store not long ago.  Her dark hair had streaks of grey and she was wearing bi-focals reading a package of cottage cheese or something.  She recognized me at once and even remembered my name.  Glancing down, she could'nt help but notice the six-pack of Rolling Rock in the bottle sitting in my basket.  Her face disolved like rain first hitting the windshield, said her goodbyes, nice to see ya agains, and moved on, leaving me standing there feeling like a jerk.  I guess I still am not ready for some things.

For myself, I attend support meetings for people who are bipolar.  Some meetings I get alot out of, others leave me frustrated.  I still drink on occasion, but I fight the desire more and more.  My secondary drink of choice is Lemonade, followed by Jasmine Tea.  I would prefer Sassafras, but does not grow wild this far south and was taken off the market several years ago.  As it stands, I am about 40 pounds overweight, and know damn well that I will not get below 210 pounds as long as I keep on drinking.  Hopefully the new medication the doc put me on will help curb the urge.  I also need to spruce up the Mountain Bike and hit the road instead of drive everywhere.  A.A. works for some and not for others.  I am one of the 'others.'  The meetings are like that scene in the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK where Luke Skywalker has to go into the cave, refuses to give up the lightsaber and is forced to see that he was defeated by his own fear.  Could I go to a meeting?  Yes I could.  Will I?  Not until I learn to trust in myself enough to trust other people.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
I think # 3 is most accurate.  AA works for some people, and THANK GOD.  People who AREN'T ready or willing, it WON'T work for.

I've never been to an AA meeting... don't hardly ever drink, but have any friends who've gone and it's done WONDERS!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »
On 2004-11-16 16:14:00, Sara-1984 wrote:

"My biggest problem is with the first few words of the first step of AA, or Straight, or LIFE or whatever:

Sheer Bullshit!!!

:roll: "

lol   denial

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 09:31:00 PM »
On 2004-11-16 17:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"My biggest problem is with the first few words of the first step of AA, or Straight, or LIFE or whatever:

Sheer Bullshit!!!

lol   denial"

Oh, so you're saying having power is denial??

- Sara

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 10:18:00 PM »
On 2004-11-16 18:31:00, Sara-1984 wrote:

"

"

Sheer Bullshit!!!

lol   denial"

Oh, so you're saying having power is denial??

- Sara
"
Sara Sara,
  You have no power here, now be gone with you, before someone drops a house on you too.    :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 10:43:00 PM »

"

Sheer Bullshit!!!

:rofl:  :wave:  :grin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 11:04:00 PM »
Jerk,

you are being polite in not responding to my request to interview you, or anyone else, for a documentary/and website for survivors of several institutions and church molestations.  If you are interested I will expect a reply.  If not, this is the last I will request your wanted interview.  Up to you, friend.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »

Sara Sara,

You have no power here, now be gone with you, before someone drops a house on you too.    :scared:

Sounds like someone dropped the truth on you.  Carry on.  

:rofl: