Author Topic: St.Pete straight 1979  (Read 43818 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2006, 08:25:00 AM »
On 2006-03-30 14:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hey Mike - yes it has been a while - I needed to kind of back off for a while with the communication - but I have still been coming to this site to read all the posts and keep up to date - Hope you are well - it is fun to read about everyone and see how everyone is doing. -

Sometimes remembering Straight St. Pete

seems like a very bad dream.  but I look at me today and know I am who I am because of st. pete and then it becomes all too clear!  I am a product of that

take care, Marnie"

My memory is fading, did Mike Sherman has red hair?  Also, how is Mike Murphy?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »
On 2006-03-31 05:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-03-30 14:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hey Mike - yes it has been a while - I needed to kind of back off for a while with the communication - but I have still been coming to this site to read all the posts and keep up to date - Hope you are well - it is fun to read about everyone and see how everyone is doing. -

Sometimes remembering Straight St. Pete

seems like a very bad dream.  but I look at me today and know I am who I am because of st. pete and then it becomes all too clear!  I am a product of that

take care, Marnie"

My memory is fading, did Mike Sherman has red hair?  Also, how is Mike Murphy?"

Yes, Sherman has/had red hair, although some of it is gray now. LOL - he is an old fucker!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »
And any word of Mike Murphy?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »
I Saw Mike Murphy a couple of years back - He has chaged dramatically - I did not recognise him

Marnie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
On 2006-03-31 09:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I Saw Mike Murphy a couple of years back - He has chaged dramatically - I did not recognise him

Marnie"

Did you ever work in Sarasota?  I remember you on staff in St. Pete; long staright hair a bit of a lisp?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
Yeth.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
Hey Marnie,

Wow...just seeing your name brought back alot of memories. I was in the St.Pete program  in 1979 and remember you well. I remember you as being one of the nicer staff members, at least I don't recall you being a " bitch" or being really horrible to other people, cause I remember the ones that were well.

I didn't know that you posted here but I haven't been around here all that long either so you may have already answered this before.
 I am curious to know all these years later, how you feel about the program and about being on staff. I agree with what you said earlier about being who you are today because of your experience there, as I feel the same way. I always wondered though if when you guys,"staff", got together if you ever said anyhting to eachother about what was going on. I saw Wanda and Amy treat some of the kids horribly and I just wonder, did anyone ever try and address that with them? With any staff memeber who went to far??

You were there for my entire program, so I don't know when you left but did something happen to make you leave?

If you've already answered all this, let me know where to look and I'll try and find the thread.

Peace

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »
On 2006-03-31 11:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Yeth."

LOL :rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »
I thought you'd like that. Frank.

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2006, 07:25:00 AM »
Hyya Marnie

I also remember you. I remember you as being a kind and gentile person in the midst of vicious bitches. I remember thinking to myself about the ?good cop?bad cop? scenario and if that was a conscious act?or if in fact you were a decent human being, that I thought you were.

In my minds eye, I can envision you and Amy Wright/Murphy leading group?I can remember Amy simply over powering you?as if she was queen bee or something.  I can remember Amy being exceptionally cruel to us, especially the girl? side?Yeah, we guys had it rough, no doubt (with Dave Crock Criss Casslor and Doug Heminger) but I used to think to myself that the girls really had it rough with Amy.

Now as an adolescent male?Amy really was a striking, almost imposing female. We used to call her Amazon Amy. I also remember that she was an important lesson to me at the time. That lesson being, ?A pretty face don?t mean a pretty heart?. (Sorry for stealing lyrics to articulate what I could not?at the time) She was simply a mean and cruel bitch.

I also recall, because of her status and her appearance she was a huge influence on the girls. Two in particular, Wanda Miton and Leslie Fetrow. I recall Wanda following her around like a puppy and how she would always look at Amy with adoration. It always seemed that Wanda was trying to emulate Amy?but that was silly, Wanda seemed to have her own special streak of cruelty, but Amy?s influence was felt and observed long after Amy left and of course Wanda stayed.

After I read your most recent post yesterday I recalled a time, and at first I thought you were involved?but it was actually Liz Cassidy (very early on in her tenure as staff) She pulled me out of group and lead me to an office were my parents and Laura Morgan were waiting. I thought I was going to be pulled (a brief but powerful sense of relieve was experienced) As it turned out, I was informed my grand father had past away. I was informed that I would not be allowed to attend the funeral, in Savannah Ga. The justification for not allowing me to attend his funeral was the concern that I may have run. Which in all honesty I had not even really seriously considered, as I hadn?t been locked up that long as of that time. So, I thought it absurd that my running was even considered by others, before I had considered it. But believe me, I started to think about running shortly after that experience. I didn?t run until third phase, while at school?it was just the safest thing to do.

My grand fathers death affected me for along time and the fact that I was not allowed to attend his funeral still infuriates me till this day. Infact, I have yet to visit his grave site, and I have only this year begun to re-establish connections with cousins that later went thru Straight as well. Perhaps this year at the family reunion I will finally visit his grave?and possibly I will be able to put a lot of this to rest.

I am glad you are back Marnie from your hiatus from fornits. I joined the forum shortly after you stepped back from the site. Like others have said, you have a lot of insight into a world that we feared and despised?the world of the staff member. I don?t know that you owe us anything?however, I know I would be thankful for any insight that you may have to offer.

It is odd to me how I can harbor such anger and rage at staff in general, but to someone whom I thought was a decent human being, that seemed truly compassionate, such as yourself?I have no anger or ill will.
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »

It is odd to me how I can harbor such anger and rage at staff in general, but to someone whom I thought was a decent human being, that seemed truly compassionate, such as yourself?I have no anger or ill will.

"

Because as hard as it is to beleive, not all of us staff members knew of the mistreatment that was going on.  I was on staff in Sarasota at the very beginning and did not see the things that have been shared here.  Was I purposely kept in the dark? I dunno.  I did and still do believe that I sincerely helped some people.      That was my only motivation to be on staff.  I was on until junior staff and then decided it was time to move on with my life.  I graduated high school and went on to college.

I was not treated in the ways described here, but I do not discount the awful experieinces described.  I do believe I was helped by the program and I needed it at that partucular time in my life.

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »
On 2006-04-01 10:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

I do believe I was helped by the program and I needed it at that partucular time in my life."

Stop smoking angel dust.  I don't buy for half a second that you didn't think or didn't know that what happened every day at Straight was fucking abusive.  You are/were either insane, blind, incredibly stupid, or a goddamn liar trying to cover up your complicity in abuse.  You were paid to abuse children.  How do you "feel about that", Staffer?  Straight didn't help anyone, you included.  You "needed Straight at that time in your life" like you needed to have your arm removed because you had a hangnail.  You need a fucking lobotomy if you still think you were "helped by Straight" or that you were "one of the good staff".  Get high, get fucked, and fuck off.  

Also, I'm curious, was your brother Ken Sykes in St. Petersburg?  What happened to that poor kid day in and day out was fucking cruel and inhuman, even by Straight's standards.  The kid (his dad worked for Lockheed or Honeywell, or some defense contractor) was fucking obviously mentally challenged, and his kind and loving family put him is Straight to further aggravate the situation.

PEople like you really make me fucking puke.  You take NO responsibility for the abuse you participated in , every goddamn day (ironic, isn't it, that after preaching 'take responsibility for your actions' all the time that you refuse to do so yourself---fucking hypocrite).

Stop shovelling shit my way, and stop bullshitting yourself.  You were a paid professional child abuser, and you think it was OK because you are too stupid to see through the lies you help to propagate.

Fuck off.[ This Message was edited by: RTP2003 on 2006-04-01 11:09 ]
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »
This post was not from Me -

Marnie Sykes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
I was a very scared staff member... from staff trainee to Sr. Staff - I always felt inferior to all others - I always doubted myself - Straight was good at making all feel inferior - including staff - I did not want to be on staff most of the time I was there, but I felt like if I said I wanted to leave, other staff would think I was screwing up. I hid behind the more powerful staff but I did not go along with the power bullshit from the likes of Liz Cassidy, Doug Hemminger, Dave Crock, Aimee Murphy etc., etc., etc.  Liz Cassidy was Full of shit like many others.  I feel my heart was for the most part honest and true when it came to the kids in group. I remember loving to lead girls rap because for the most part it was intimate and I could be myself without having to "show what you had" as a staff member - egos led most bad staff members (false egos).  I regret that I stood by at times and let cruel things happen - but I was like a kid in group as well - shocked that things could occur and powerless to do much.  so many times I wanted to run and hide.

I remember when parents would come and pull their kids out of the program, even on staff, I wish that kid was me.  strange huh?  I did like knowing so many good people.  but the downside outweighed the good - FOR SURE!!!!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St.Pete straight 1979
« Reply #209 on: April 01, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »
Now that last post was from Marnie Sykes ME!