Author Topic: Ways to expand or get our Ideas outside this Forum  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Antibody?

• View Profile
Ways to expand or get our Ideas outside this Forum
« on: August 10, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »
I need help with this one. Any creative folk out there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
I think it depends in great part what you are trying to bring to action.  What aims do you have?

Is it to work to shut down the various Cedu schools and other places like them?  If so, contributing to the two investigations that have been cited in this forum seems like a good start.  You might also ask the investigators how you could get more involved, perhaps lobbing individuals actively to come forward with their stories of abuse and help them decide to attach their names to the narratives.  The majority of posts on abuse on this site, while disturbing, are not evidence.  I can also imagine that actively posting to forums for parents considering sending their kids to emotional growth schools might also have an impact.  There is finesse to that tactic, but if the post was not anon and presented appropriately I can imagine that people would think twice before choosing Cedu. I have called Detective Chuck Wyatt in Twin Peaks and provided him some narrative on my experiences at RMA and my take on the program in the early 1990s.  He said it was useful as background. I was very troubled by the investigation into abuse allegations that he mentioned and am disturbed by all of the posts on abuse I have read on this site.  They make me sad and angry on a couple of levels, but mostly sad.

Best, M[ This Message was edited by: mad on 2004-08-10 17:43 ]
n the road of experience...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 11:31:00 PM »
I still think the media has no idea what is going on and stories need to be told, even under fictionalized names.  Docudrama, indie films, articles...  Even with something like organ donation, awareness was raised when people they incorporated the topic in shows like ER.

Books for parents of troubled teens....

Raising awareness is key.  I think its more effectively done sometimes in entertainment than a PSA.

I know my parents genuinely thought I would get adequate schooling, be in an environment that was structured and that promoted self esteem with qualified therapists.  THe only true thing was the structure. Everything else was BS.

So, while picketing and investigations, and lawsuits are one tactic, raising public awareness is another.

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
    • http://suicidegirls.com/members/ilovemikeHunt/
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »
inform, inform, inform.
aura solomon

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 01:30:00 PM »

Rambling thoughts on closing Cedu

The Cedu schools have a considerable amount of social capital, not only from parents with wide connections and at least some wealth, but also from students that feel good about their experience.   [Yes, its is annoying that some feel like they benfitted]   Given that the cedu family of schools has a large amount of social capitial, the only way to erode their base is through a long term campaign.  Inform, Inform is great, but really just the begining.   If I had the cash and the time here's an outline what I'd do to get started:

1. Start a 501 (C)(3) with the H designation  [non-profit org for educational purposes, but with up to 20% of revenue going to political activity]   I'd hire a kid right out of college to start organizing a base that opposes the practics of the schools.   I can talk more about organizing if anyone is interested.

2. I'd also start a 501(c)(4) for lobbying purposes.   Lobbying in Idaho can not be that hard.   And I'd work to regulate the environment that these schools exist in. For example,  I'd increase the reporting burden on the schools. I'd also mandate high staffing ratios.   And more .. you get the picture. I'd lobby for state funding for oversite. Additionally,  I would argue for increased taxes for the schools, due to the burden of oversite needed.   Since they clearly can not self-manage. [If funds allowed,  I'd have a lobbist in DC, if not I'd have my (c)(3) organizer start working with groups in DC -- yes, this can be on an educational basis]

3. Here's the non-traditional thing that I would do to make a difference.   Bonner's Ferry Largest private employer is Cedu.   As a result, there is considerable loyality to the school in the community.   We are not talking a big town here.  There needs to additional employment oppertunities in the community if there is an expectation that the staff will walk forward with thier story. In the last decade Bonner's Ferry has lost two of their three saw mills.

To get started with this type of campaign, one would need:

• at least $40,000
  • A pro-bono attorney
  • a solid starting list of people opposed [and committed to being opposed as the only issue that they are woring on]
  • A wider list of people who maybe opposed to cedu schools

This is just a sketch.    Many of the details would need to be hammered out and aggreed to by a core group of people with the time and the money for a long-term campaign.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »
I would rather just drive CEDU and Brown Schools crazy by telling the truth about all the abuse, hanging suicides, riots and bestiality and pasting it in their name all over ther internet -using the full names of the schools - Boulder Creek Academy, Cedu High School, Cedu Middle School Northwest Academy, Ascent, St George and milestones.

Folks if it is run by Brown Schools it is abusive. Their wilderness program "On Track" was shut down after staff suffocated and killed a kid in a restraint. Then CEDU kids gang raped a girl repeatedly and the staff covered it up and broke the law by failing to report to even child protective services - let alone the sheriff. In the interests of money, they chose to keep all the other girls at the school in with rapists rather than lose that income and face their own neglegence.

I don't think any parent in his or her right mind would support such a program as that; Nor does anyone need legal advice or money to keep putting the truth out there.

We have done a hell of a great job already. Brown schools is a fraction of the size it was just three years ago. Rocky Mountain Academy is for all practical purposes Broke, On Track is gone and the only Brown program holding on in the black is the one that lies to parents the most - Boulder Creek Academy. Parents that support it deserve the hype backed by negative results that they will get. The kids don't. BCA is a joke - I used to work there. It is a Mormon Cult, substitute mental hospital. Parents: You send them there, you drug them up, and you say goodbye. Isn't that what all these rich parents are doing? They don't want the trouble of raising a teen, so they pay 160 thousand dollars to a gulag to do it for them. In this case, CEDU.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »
Yeah, if I'm a parent reading this, I'm just going to think you're a raving lunatic.

Stick to the things you can prove, no one is going to believe the schools are swimming in bestiality, hangings, gang-rapes, and whatever fantasies you come up with

Why make up things, Brown Schools are worth more than they were 3 years ago, look at the company figures, you just have to look at the figures, they're public, to see it.

Offline bradensmith

• View Profile
    • http://www.bradensdomain.netfirms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »

Hey the bottom line about all this, is whatever decision is made on what to do to shut them down, BE RESPONSIBLE!  You can use this forum to your benefit or other documents from students talking but, they cant talk about rape and all that other crap.  They have to be real, well written and not so disgusting because just like somone said earlier, Who will listen?  If you want to get it done, you need to have well written material, and well spoken people.  Imagine, a bunch of ex-cedu students talking responsibly saying they hate the school, now that they havn't seen before.  That will light a fire under the ass's of students services , and the media, or WHOEVER! that you wont believe.   Good luck bring em HELL!

=====
B-Man
======
Braden Smith
\":)\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »
I don't know about hangings but the bestiality and sexual misconduct is true, not fantasy.

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »
If my own experience at cedu is any example, it seems to me that many of the parents who send  kids to cedu really don't know where their kids are going, and they are simply following the advice of educational consultants.  While there are several consultants who have proven themselves time and again to be total cedu whores (such as Lon Woodbury & Harriet Gershman for example), I believe that most of these professionals try to keep and keep an open mind.  The problem is that cedu has quite a few people on their payroll who are constantly pushing the pro cedu propaganda on the consultants, and that only a very few of these professionals are exposed to the information coming from the other side (cedu victims like us).  There's got to be a way to reach out to the educational consulting community as a whole, and to make them aware of what cedu really is.

I know that many professions (construction included) have some type of industry wide newsletter that most professionals within the community subscribe to (for example the american medical journal for doctors).  Perhaps a good start for us would be to try and identify if such a newsletter for educational consultants exists, then we could compose our own article about what really goes on at cedu, and lobby the publishers to print it.

This could be a good start, and it might help at least some of these professionals realize that cedu is not the school that they claim to be.

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF SERBIA on 2004-08-12 10:52 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »
Good idea SOS.  Does anyone know of these newsletters?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 01:51:00 PM »
Also, we should appeal to the family psychology newsletters/journals.  My parents chose CEDU at the advice of our family therapist, who really had no idea what CEDU was really about, other than the promo materials.

Offline oh shizzle son

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 03:09:00 PM »
i spent 1 hour with a douche bg before he reccomended to my parents that i "need" to attend CEDU. and in that hour i was respectful, clam and open to what he had to say..as always..It was pretty fucked up so yeah we should get the source of these people and ed consultants, because who are Ed consultants to say kinds need Emo-growth?
what assholes..

as we all know, there were plenty og loaded kids at CEDU meaning coming from extremely rich families which in a wya is probably why there fucked up, but im not talking about everyone because i myself come from a wealthy family and so was alot of kids i knew...so im thinking pull togethor and start a newsletter or simple pamphlet made that states simply what CEDU is and what it does..in a conservative way i suppose to get parents attention because conservative fucks tend to "do whats right as a parent" and all that shit more or less there sheep to the government as some kids were sheep to CEDU....so if anyone has marketing strategies or anything just post em up so we can get something started

oh also haha if your gonna get pissed or offended by this then dont read!
i was talking to a recent CEDU survivor and he was talking about hacking some cedu database and getting all the parents e-mails telling them the truth. however this is a horrible idea, yes i agree because it will ruin this reputation we are trying to develop here.

it would just make CEDU once again sound like the good guys, just what they want....i declined to the idea and reccomended a more presentable approach to ending CEDU's existence

Offline oh shizzle son

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »
excuse the spelling i forgot to look it over

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »
Take a look at this thread and see what is happening in Tx regarding RTCs and Wilderness programs. If the program in question has a contract with or takes kids from CPS, it could be easier to get the attention of those who are in a position to take action.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... &forum=9&5

You can watch the latest news segment at:
http://www.woai.com/troubleshooters/sto ... 52B79B2EC3
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700