Author Topic: The Seed / Straight  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« on: August 04, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »
after reading many straight testimonoies, it is obvious that The originator -- the Seed had a more powerful hold on the group. At seed there was a very strong beleif that staff, especially key ones were very wise. the truth is they were very smart, were by no means no dummies and many oldtimers were very smart too. . . at seeed there was more of respect for persons and no violence like the straighth stuff, but the mental and psychological hold was much, much stronger than straight . . .because you internalized the beleifs of a family, soul partners, "meant-to-be," destiny, unquestionable leadership, spiritual enlightenment, a real sense of "forever." Straight seemed more of an organization where the member could not question the system or philosophy, but did more often question the staff and lontime oldecomers. Seed was more a mission in loyalty. just thoughts
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 01:14:00 PM »
Boy , do I wish I could have gone to that sweet sounding seed you were describing. I never thought of them as smart. I thought of them as the enemy. i had no respect for them. None of them were  any better than me, in fact many were much worse. I had plenty of fear. they controlled when I got off the front row and if I got sent back. if you were there you will understand that. They controlled who you got sent home with, also very important. We were not allowed to leave any food on our plates even when we were eating green hot dogs. WE were made to exercise in extreme heat and then given a tiny dixie cup with a few ice chips. Many nights my moral inventory did not suit my old comer so i was not allowed to sleep. the bruising and bleeding on my tail bone from sit ups on the concrete, the continuous sick stomach from the stress and food, the rash i developed that left blood stains on all my shirts  no I guess they did'nt inflict them on me but they hurt none the less. Also, when we got out many of our lives were changed forever. I have 2 grown sons now and I don't care how bad they got I WOULD NEVER DUMP THEM IN A HELL HOLE LIKE THAT.

Offline TRUCKER

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 07:11:00 PM »
Sounds like boot camp to me. Boy, you really had it rough. How did you make it?

TRUCKER

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »
Trucker, I have been thinking about your question. First you have to understand I was 16 going on 17 back then . I was also very much in love. My parents said if I still felt the same way they would consent to me marrying him. OF course they did not think it would happen that way. He was 8 and a half years older than me and it had to be puppy love. While I was there I endured and had fantasies of being rescued. It was by far the hardest thing I ever went thru.I still deal with the aftermath however I can say that this past May was my 31st wedding anniversary with that same man. So since I have no contact with any old friends and only one family member I am sure he was a factor in my survival.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »
boot camp my ass.

In boot camp, your parents are on your side.

In boot camp, you are allowed to have friends.

In boot camp, they actually feed you and let you sleep.

In boot camp, aw fuck it...believe what you wanna believe.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »
I'm not sure I can communicate in words the differences between the two programs, especially after 80's. Here goes. . .Many people here expereienced seed in 70's or straight in 80's. In 80's seed was quite different than its early years. . .it became much, much tighter in its group dynamics. I am not promoting seed as any better, just very, very different than straight.

Yes, there were major elements copied from seed to straight, but the "feelings" or "expeienece" (albeit an illusion) were much more powerful in seed. At seed, you really felt that this was the real deal in many ways; at straight there was not a sense deeep, deep comraderie among the group. There was much more sneakiness and not a core of personalities, who claimed to be at a higher level as individuals, boith in character and emotional strength and wisom , not mention claims of being smarter. There was a clear sense at seed that to "leave" or in any way be disloyal to the core persoanlities was to also be disloyal to yourself. That was the danger zone.

As others have posted, straight had "a meaner edge." Seed was too smart for this. As the years evolved, seed became pretty much above any violence and direct --in your face-- attack therapy was minmal, only when felt "absolutely necessary." (this was no longer often). Seed became more open in its connection with practical world politics (with a libral - democratic twist), although it is true that emotional/psychological pressure continued to exist.

At straight there seemed to be a feeling that even though you were pressured by others around you, they were still, ultimately, strangers, that you could forsee breaking bonds with in the future; at seed these were your "soul brothers and sisters" and it was "meant to be that you had come to know each other in this lifetime." Most there really believed you were on a destined road. The rest was copy-cat from the seed perspective. And the truth is, although an illusion, that the power was much, much stronger at seed. You internalized a deep sense of loyalty, committment, life-journey tp a core group of persoanlites and your peers, that was supposed to be "forever." So you became more than friends, friends to a much deeper level than just these people you interacted with at a rehab, many no longer even associated it with a rehab or even an organization at all. At straight very few personalities were revered in a place close to perfection. At seed, several personalities were thought of as close to perfection as possible and the strong desire of wanting to emulate these people was about spiritial growth -- almost like becoming a "wise soul."

Thoughtless reaction towards others and uneccesary hype became the less common at seed. Instead, thoughtful manipualation seemed to reign in a way that kept the inner and outer group centered around the core. Straight personalities were simply not as convinving or psychologically penetratins, so it was no wonder that restraints were needed. At seed one look from one of the key personalities could shatter every part of the confidenece that "had been given to you" beacuse it was like the gods were always watching.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »
When I was their there was up to 1000 kids in group. I have written before there were really two seeds, the group and the inner core.

What you are describing is the inner core, which in the 80s pretty much became the whole thing because it got so small.

Also, good analysis. The difference is one was an actual cult (the seed) and the other was a business built upon the cultic model of the Seed. The feelings of loyality, trust and higher purpose were def stronger in the seed because we had an actual cult leader...they did not. The closet they came was Miller Newton and he really rose to that status after leaving the straight and starting kids.

Gregfl...somewhere in south america....

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 10:50:00 AM »
Oh my! Ya know? It just occured to me that the essential difference between The Seed and Straight is roughly the same as between the Third Reich and the Neocon movement.

A vote for Büsh is a vote for America's Fürher!

There lives more faith, in honest doubt,
Believe me, than in half the creeds.
http://www.tatteredcover.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s=showproduct&affiliateId=000095&isbn=0753816571' target='_new'>Alfred Lord Tennyson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »
pretty much nailed it again there Ging....

Offline TRUCKER

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »
I agree, a vote for Bush is a vote for the future!
   TRUCKER

Offline whiterabbit

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »
Would you like grape or cherry flavored Kool Aid?

Hear me people: We now have to deal with another race - small and feeble when our fathers first met them, but now great and overbearing. Strangely enough they have a mind to till the soil and the love of possessions is a disease with them. These people have made many rules which the rich may break but the poor may not. They take their tithes from the poor and weak to support the rich and those who rule.
http://www.powersource.com/gallery/people/sittbull.html' target='_new'>Chief Sitting Bull, speaking at the Powder River Conference, 1877

traight Incorporated is a disease

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »
On 2004-08-06 10:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"pretty much nailed it again there Ging....

"

Jack??

"I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile disease."
 "That all depends, sir, upon whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
--Disraeli to Gladstone

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 09:36:00 PM »
no, your other brother, Greg, here is Colombia...

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »
On 2004-08-06 16:28:00, TRUCKER wrote:

" I agree, a vote for Bush is a vote for the future!

TRUCKER"
}

More like the past, 1984 that is...

Bush-Orwell 2004

Patriot act = loss of freedom

wars on adjectives...

and so on and so on...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Seed / Straight
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »
Did Miller Newton have the same control as Art on the group and kids. Also, was he looed at in the same way "respected" by the group as Art?