Author Topic: A Few Thoughts on Religion  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A Few Thoughts on Religion
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2004, 08:12:00 AM »
Hey triumverate hold on was in the middle of posting when you posted didnt even see your posts until after--these were directed to the original thread poster.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »
Hey Trium, I think Anon is referring to 85 Day...no worries.

85 Day...I dont think there is anything wrong with your point of view...but, it is only fair that if you want to post your thoughts, that others can post theirs as well.  Even if they dont agree with you.  I tend to agree with Anon on the subject of Christianity and religion in general.  And not to offend you, but, its responses like yours from people that claim to be Christian that tend to repel me from the whole idea...time and time again.

Being so harsh and judgemental isnt really what God has in mind is it?  I mean, when someone tells me that I have no control over how someone prays for me, and I am powerless to control the things in my life that will change regardless of what I want for myself because of someones prayers for me.  Well, thats some creepy ass shit...that doesnt in the least attract me to exploring God or faith or anyone who is remotely connected to those things.  Wouldnt you agree?
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2004, 11:33:00 AM »
On 2004-05-10 04:41:00, Triumvirate wrote:

"

On 2004-05-09 22:20:00, Lezli wrote:

"Nah, it's love... :wink:"

Contrary to Straight teachings...arguing and putting people down is in fact...not love.
"

I wasn't talking about straight at all.

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »
my few thoughts on religion....

like Karl Marx said it is the opium of the people.

I think it is set up and designed to control and influence people, strip them of their individuality and cause them anixiety and grief over normal human thoughts and emotions while at the same time holding up the carrot of personal joy if one goes into the fold of their specific religion.

I don't believe in organized religion I think it is a fraud.

I think animal testing is a terrible idea;  they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.    
-- A Bit of Fry and Laurie

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
In my program you were allowed to do 2 things on Sunday.  One, you could get up early as hell, feed and dress the newcomers, take them to a drop-off's house, and then attend church with your parents.  If you were DAMN lucky, you may have gotten 4 or 5 hours sleep the night before.  Only kids from hard core religious families put themselves through this regimen.

The second choice was about 90% of the norm for the Pre-80's Tampa Bay Area Straight Program.  That choice was to simply sleep in, because we did not have to be in the damn building until 2pm.
This led many to an anti-religious point of view, especially those who had to get up early on Sunday and be dragged across town to be dropped off and picked up later.  It only happened to me while living at the Buick's house and lemmee tell you, I wanted to take a chainsaw to the Virgin Mary over the lack of sleep I was getting as a newcomer.  This is something to think about folks.
I am merely pointing out just A FEW ways in which the weekly routine of Straight affected our lives in such evil and insideous ways, that here we are 20 years later arguing about Tomato, Tommatto, nanner-nanner boo boo stick your head in dog doo! But damn if it has'nt been fun though ya know?

As for me, I attended a small church for awhile, but found it awkward as they had no single's group to speak of.  A friend from a former job attended there and it was a good way to keep in touch and be a part of something constructive.  I quit going after awhile, because I felt there was something better somewhere else.  I am still looking for a place where I would feel more comfortable.  If there is something wrong with that, I fail to see it, and I fail to see how this post could be seen as a way to sway or influence someone else's beliefs.

The people behind Straight did not want us to believe in ourselves until they had squeezed every ounce of free will from us, and every conceivable dollar from our parents.  Once this was accomplished, and they had used us completely, only then were we free to find a higher power and a purpose in life.  It all came down to how together your parents were, how set you were in school, connections with the "Good Ol Boy" network towards finding a good job, and I can only guess at how it was for the girls.  In closing, you can see the anguish and unresolved anger in the various posts, and I can only hope that cooler heads and hearts will prevail in the end.    THE END[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2004-05-10 13:39 ]
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2004, 07:58:00 PM »
?I agree, I am just gonna pray. You can't stop me??

Always better to keep things at a civil tone. Please, do not think that I have a desire to stop you from praying. I am not so blind as to ignore the benefits of such an activity, though I don?t believe the effect of prayer to one god or another makes any difference; or if one chooses to meditate with no particular belief at all. I believe a Catholic prayer can be as effective as a meditative chant or silent reflection. Unfortunately as all of us who attended Straight know: sometimes religious leaders give unsound advice (to be mild about it).

?? and you can't stop the changes that may take place in your life because of it.?

As another Anonymous expressed, changes will occur in my life regardless of your prayer. If you want to attribute those changes to your prayer, then I suppose you are free to do so; however, why not attribute changes to the stimulus that most likely inspired the change. Does prayer have an effect? Some studies have shown that it does (recovery rates and mood elevation), but perhaps not for the reasons organized religion currently attributes to it.

?I was simply expressing some thoughts, not even beliefs, but rather than seeing any simple connections to one's own life, some felt compelled to ridicule? What even prompted me to write this thread in the first place was the negative attacks on someone I care about??

I am assuming this was generated with the remark, ?Attending a few bible studies and using drugs does not qualify someone to give accurate advice and treatment to people with mental disorders. The church merely perpetuates the problems of Straight Inc, just to a lesser degree. Those who suffer from mental disorders need professional, evidence based, care.? Perhaps considering the context of the previous message this was a bit stark. I am glad that Lezi is experiencing happiness and joy. It sounds like the group is supportive. Lezi has also impressed me as having the ability to be supportive; however, caution flags rise up quickly for me when I hear that people are learning how to treat those with substance abuse behavior by reading from a Bible. I used to think that was enough, it is not.

?they were making positive changes in their life and it was causing some ANONYMOUS people to squirm and twinge about the lack of purpose in their own pathetic lives.?

I do not have a lack of purpose in my life, I lack the education to fulfill my purpose in life. That will not always be the case.

"I don't like anonymous posters that come in here and spout off like children hiding in the bushes and shouting out to the Ice Cream Man to stop, just to fuck with him."
How funny, did you ever hide in bushes and pull that type of shenanigans on your ice-cream man? Maybe the following analogy fits a little bit better. Someone sits on the side of the road, talking a bit too loudly when someone whistling ?Amazing Grace? walks by; then engages in discourse based on the response he is given.

?That is not what this forum is for. This is not about religion.?

It seems that this board is about whatever anyone desires to post here. I would also like the board to avoid religion, but censorship is rarely used on this board. Others were engaged in religious discussion. I joined in. When the Atheist comes to discuss religion, the board then becomes secular. That is convenient.

?This is supposed to be about people comming together to help one another??

That only lasts for so long, then they get their throats ripped out, metaphorically speaking.

?As for me, I attended a small church for awhile? good way to keep in touch and be a part of something constructive. I quit going after awhile? I am still looking for a place where I would feel more comfortable. there is something wrong with that, I fail to see it??

That doesn?t sound unreasonable. I believe the danger grows exponentially the closer a religion leans toward fundamentalism and zealotry. I believe religion is relatively harmless when practiced casually.

?? I fail to see how this post could be seen as a way to sway or influence someone else's beliefs.?

Perhaps you should look harder.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
Anonymous, first it's Lezli, not Lezi. :wave:

Offline Triumvirate

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2004, 01:25:00 AM »
This board is for survivors..and pretty much any topic goes...
Can only rehash straight stories so many times..
Can only talk about Bradbury case so much...

Other than that its an open free for all for and about survivors. If you dont like religion threads dont click them.
Entire, complete serenity
Injected intravenously
Transgression euphoric bliss divine
Initiate a timeless stain of mind
Blood will steralize, In fire baptised

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »
I really like the anonymous postor in here who started the rebuttal against the first post.  

It is a rare inspiration to even see someone who is willing to keep a cool hand with writing and response rationally to what is being read along with objectivity.  

I mean to say, what kind of person lets themself get all upset because they see some words and thereby try to 'control' the words they've seen, or they allow themself to get upset over pixels.

I wish I were so rational.  Some things I've seen here do make me ill and mad.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »
My hat's off to you Anonymous. Well written post. I don't agree with some of it, but ultimately that's not the point. This is a discussion forum where anything goes, this decree straight from Ginger. However sometimes it is refreshing to read a well written debate that doesn't turn into brash name calling. Although I guess Lezi came close. Either way I enjoyed the post.