Author Topic: Heartlight Ministries  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Heartlight Ministries
« on: May 05, 2004, 01:51:00 AM »
http://www.heartlightministries.org/home/home.htm

Anyone know about this place?  I see they restrict letter writing and visits and don't explain what they do as far as discipline, only what they don't do.  Any idea how long they've been around and what their success rate is, or the tuition?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Kiwi

• View Profile
Heartlight Ministries
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 04:41:00 AM »
Hmmm, the restrictions on mail and telephone calls are definite red flags.  Use of the telephone is a privilege.  I have feeling the 30 day no-contact "transition period" could easily expand.  The level system is another red flag.

The dismissal policy would appear to be a green flag but would it happen in practice?  How many times have I heard program parents say WWASP doesn't take violent students?  (Yeah, right).

The runaway policy appears on the surface to be a green flag: they leave it to the Sheriff's Department.  BUT, only after 24 hours.  If they haven't found you by then you are over the hills and far away.

The vagueness on discipline is most worrying.  How many times have I heard bible-based schools tell how much of God's love they put in to beating the crap out of their charges?

Then there are the parent/family retreats.  I wonder if the "seminar type opportunity" is an LGAT.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Heartlight Ministries
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »
I don't know where this is but it seems to have all of the ingredients of the basic abusive behavior modification lockdown - keep them away from the world - program. These programs aren't safe and until parent say no to all of them they will continue. Since there have been thousands of reports and testimonials of abuse in these facilities throughout the country immediate action is necessary.  All of these programs must have a pay phone for student use where they can call toll free numbers, if necessary, to report their abuse.  All facilities should allow visitors every other day for an hour.  Laws against censoring of mail must be enforced. All facilities must have a list of established patient rights posted in a prominent location with an ombsbudsman toll free number - to constantly inform both staff and patient that there are certain rights that must be respected.  Children need to have a way out of an abusive program because there have been too many reports of child abuse at these secretive lockdowns.  They should be able to call the authorities and ask to be placed in protective custody if they are being physically abused.  If a program does not comply then they should not be licensed. These changes have not been made. They are established in California.  There are no lock downs and all have pay phones for student use (to my knowledge).  

I am married, not Buried !
-- Steve Webb

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Heartlight Ministries
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »
Most important of all, parents need to wise up.  These reforms will take years, not months, to be mandated in all 50 states.  

Parents who sign enrollment agreements that cut off or severally limit the COMMUNICATION lifeline between themselves and their child should be charged with child abuse and neglect.

There, is that strong enough???

Parents, not Uncle Sam, need to protect their own children wherever they are.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Heartlight Ministries
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »
I agree - it is the parent's responsiblity. Unfortunately under the pressure of being strongly pushed in that direction by other therapists many parents don't take the time to fully research these facilities.  They prey on families that are in a desparate situation with no where else to turn. Many of these parents don't really have the time to parent.  It is the government's responsibility to protect the Constitutional rights of American citizens. The government of the United States should be concerned since children are litterally being tortured in these programs.  

You should be allowed to do whatever you want with your own person and property, as long as you don't physically harm the person or property of a nonconsenting other.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=PY7893&aid=10247' target='_new'>Peter McWilliams - Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Heartlight Ministries
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »
So do a mass marketing to therapists.  Educate them.  Rampant talking outta group works best. Tell them to read the Michelle Sutton story, and remind them that 4 kids died in 2002 from so-called wilderness therapy. 4!!!!  If even one kid died while in a defective car, you better believe that would scare consumers off and do some serious damage to the car manufacturer.

:wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Heartlight Ministries
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »
Actually, the car comparison wouldn't put a dent in their sales.  What they do is make modifications to the car, have re-calls, etc., to make the car safe.  Your point is?