Author Topic: getting your facts straight  (Read 15117 times)

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
    • http://suicidegirls.com/members/ilovemikeHunt/
getting your facts straight
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »
On 2004-04-09 05:57:00, still doing fine wrote:

"How arrogant to assume that your history is the same as mine!!!!  You know nothing about me or my past history with drugs and alcohol. Do people not die from drug and alochol addictions every day? If it were easy to just put drugs down then why don't people do it?  Sounds like if they cannot help themselves then someone nedds to help them.  We may differ on that opinion.  I do know that I was not abused or tormented while in treatment at Kids Helping Kids.   "

first off, i didn't go to khk.. i went to this place called cedu.  there wasn't as much physical abuse as there appears to have been at these other places (straight and it's offspring, etc.) at cedu with the exception of the restraints that children at the middle skool were put in.  sometimes it was just for mouthing off and running rampant in defiance, not really doing any harm to anybody.  they would claim that the child was out of control, when, i beleve, there was a bit of a syntactical error in such a statement; i believe they left out the werd 'my'... "the child was out of 'my' control."  and why should a staff member be in control of a child by using an ineffective standardized approach?  (please don't take this as me stating that the standardized approach is ALWAYS ineffective... apparently, it's not if you feel that it werked for you.  i am also doing fabulously now.  i never bought into the program (nor did i fake it.. my 3 years were spent in defiance until they realized that they couldn't help me any more with their methods... they didn't even stop to think that perhaps they could take another approach.) but i refused to let it damage me, and i'm not wallowing in my bitterness.  don't get me wrong, i still believe they are all unethical; an ethical approach would be to take into consideration the particular needs of the individual rather than hitting them with the standardized aggressive approach.  thus, i don't believe these skools are genuinely dedicated to helping children solve their problems and live beautiful lives as much as they are pushing their standards off onto these children and teaching them to be obedient.  i am dedicated to exposing this theory; had some of parents known how these skools had planned to execute their mission statements, they would've turned and run holding their child closely and lovingly...)  i'm just saying that it was not effective for that child, or else the child would not have been "acting up" in the first place.
anyway, these skools practice what many would consider mental, emotional, spiritual, and/or physical abuse.  from what i know, that is the nature of the "synanon" approach; aggressive confrontation and harsh disciplinary tactics implemented in order to encroach on the mind of the subject with a specific way of thinking.  perhaps for some people, this type of discipline is a good thing (honestly, i believe this is for those who aren't strong enough to create their own standards) but for others, it can be truly damaging... i've accepted both the positives and negatives of my stay at cedu.... it's a part of my past, and my past has made me who i am today, and i now love myself more than i ever thought i would... i don't think i'd be nearly as strong and militant had i not been put under that type of pressure.  on the other hand, there are many others who didn't have the same strength i had to combat the potential mental, spiritual, and psychological damage/trauma that arises from being constrained in such an environment.
i've always had a problem following other people's rules that i didn't agree with (no music? NO WAY! i'm a musician, for fuck's sake... and they wouldn't let me bring my sax; that's a level privilege for complient children.  ::puke:: i'm embarassed to say that by the time i got there, (i still have no clue how the hell i got there, considering my "behavior"...) i was too burnt out to even remember how much i'd loved that thing.)  i still won't do it, and thank "god" for that... if cedu had changed me, i'd never push the boundaries of what i knew to be my reality; consequently, i'd live a very mediocre, uncreative life which would not satisfy me.  i do, however, have my own moral code which i stand firmly behind.  i consider myself to be an outstanding person, with a great sense of moral/ethical responsibility.  
after all this rambling, i'll make my point: these skools are based on what some people consider abuse.  whether this "abuse" helped or hurt you is up to you.  you've implied that there is nothing wrong with this program because it helps people.  there is truth to that.  at the same time, it hurts a lot (i'd venture to say more, but i have no statistics) of people; some end up killing themselves because they don't know how else to respond to the aggressive pressure being placed upon them.  in conclusion, i believe that in order to make an optimal change in a child's life, it is the counselors' duty to gauge out the needs of each student, and thus treat each of them differently.  unfortunately, i don't believe that this is a part of their job description... i know it wasn't at cedu.  

by the way, not doing drugs IS that easy... all you do is stay away from them, and when you're near them, you pass (or as you said, put them down.)  what's hard is rewiring your mentality so that you no longer desire them.  [apply my statements in regard to optimal change here]

RIP[ This Message was edited by: mikehunt on 2004-06-09 16:45 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
aura solomon

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2004, 01:16:00 PM »
All I have to say is....

You can tell the difference between the people who went through KHK and the people who went through STRAIGHT!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2004, 09:45:00 AM »
Ginger, I like your intentions but I have to differ on the drug thing. Crystal meth turned me into some kind of creature that absolutely noone wanted to be near.

These hellhole rehabs never helped me, I finally got better thru plain old mellow AA, no screaming, motivating or slavelabor required.

Offline Scarstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »
On 2004-04-12 12:52:00, still doing fine wrote:

"Give it up.  Your point is clear.  I don't agree with it but I hear what you are saying.  Focus your efforts somewhere else.  Your mission is obviously failing.  You try so hard to get programs shut down and it is not going to happen with Kids Helping Kids. It has been in operation since the early 80's and it continues to thrive. If they were doing illegal or unethical practices then they would have been shut down.  And they would not be certified by the state and other agencies.  Give it up, or continue to watse your time.  They will be around for a long time."

Hehe you sound like a robot. The problem with your program ...is it teaches powerlesness. Thats horrible...in order to beat an addiction one must be empowered.
 How do I know? I daily IV'd Heroin and lots of coke and methamphetamine for good measure...for 13 years...
  And I empowered myself and just stopped...
 AA dogma does more harm than good...the last thing an addict on their last rope needs to be taught is that they are powerless...
  We always have the power to win on our own ...
b] KATHY DAVID IS A CHILD MOLESTOR[/b]
\"You knew I was a snake when you picked me up\" ~S.S

Offline mental torture made me li

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2004, 06:34:00 PM »
On 2004-06-24 10:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"All I have to say is....

You can tell the difference between the people who went through KHK and the people who went through STRAIGHT!!!

"

probably has something to do with time, KHK being more recent than Straight, mostly.

found one funny thing on the KHK sit earlier today, and one eerie thing. I'll put the eerie one on the next post.

from the following link on the KHK site:
http://www.kidshelpingkids.com/Outcome.html

[now I ain't takin stats yet, but the following sentence, thrown in there so innocently, says so much:  "A sample of graduates of the program from          the preceeding 24 months are used in each study."  I am guessing that the stats from years beyond the second year out plunge dramatically and that is why they are not included. And they have the audacity to proclaim: "Nearly three out of          four KHK graduates have remained completely drug and alcohol free." For two years, people. Two years.]

"
Outcome          Research

Our outcome          data suggests that Kids Helping Kids is one of the most successful teen          drug rehabilitation programs in the United States. Nearly three out of          four KHK graduates have remained completely drug and alcohol free, and          of those who have lapsed or relapsed since graduation, better than half          have returned to a drug and alcohol free lifestyle. Completion rate for          this long-term treatment program (average length of stay is 12 months)          is approximately 50%. Nearly 98% of all parents of KHK graduates would          (and do) recommend KHK to families with at risk kids.

Running          averages for the KHK Bi-Annual Outcome Studies for the years 1987 - 2001          are shown below. Research data is collected and compiled by independent          marketing research companies. A sample of graduates of the program from          the preceeding 24 months are used in each study.

Primary                Measure

1987                through

Presently Leading A Sober Lifestyle

81                %

Abstinent Since Graduation

70                %

No More Trouble With the Law

86                %

In School or Graduated

82                %     "

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »
sorry if this is old news for some people here. I just saw the Kids Helping Kids website for the first time. The wonders of the internet, it is all spelled out there. This program is just like the Straight, Inc. program that I was in in the late 1980s. Five phases, the first being the most destructive, in which they never allowed unsupervised contact with anyone outside the program. They made sure you were compliant and brainwashed/terrorized before you made it to any higher phases. Parents, please beware of any kind of treatment program in which you cannot talk to your own child in private. Things might be happening in the institution that they CANNOT tell you in the presence of another client or staff. When I was on first phase I tried once to tell my parents some things that were happening -- another client had to be there --  and when I was back in the "group", I was stood up and ridiculed, sending the message to me and any one else who questioned anything that there would be consequences. Please be aware that one of the hallmarks of a cult is milieu control, which is exactly what Kids Helping Kids does to their clients. They might give you nice statistics, and show you a few nice graduates, who are doing "fine", but they do not show you the darker side of the story, the long-lasting effects of being completely controlled and given no human dignity.

from the link:
http://www.kidshelpingkids.com/Program.html

[I have not copied in the entire page here]

Treatment is divided          into five phases. During First Phase, the teen is in treatment for 10.5          hours per day and lives at night in a temporary home with an oldcomer          and his/her family. It is during this phase that a teen is taught the          basics: AA's 12 Steps, the Five Criteria for Rational          Thinking, the Three Signs, and the Serenity Prayer. As part of the          12-steps, the teen also learns to write moral inventories (MIs), an instrument          designed to develop insight, set goals, and develop self esteem. Each          teen writes an MI nightly throughout the program. It is during First Phase          that the teenager experiences the awareness and commitment stages of rehabilitation          as she/he is encouraged to be honest about feelings and past behavior.          Honesty is reinforced by rewarding the teenager with permission to talk          to his/her parents and the privilege of responsibilities.

When a teen progresses          to Second Phase, he/she returns home and practices using the basics while          rebuilding family relationships. As he/she progresses through each phase          of treatment, faulty, dysfunctional styles of thinking are challenged          and replaced with rational, functional thinking. On Third Phase, he/she          goes back to school and focuses on achievement. On Fourth Phase, the teen          earns leisure time and concentrates on friendships and the appropriate          use of leisure time. The focus of Fifth Phase is on sharing awareness          and serving as role models to group members and the community.

During each phase          of treatment, the teen experiences new emotional behavioral insight, gaining          a more positive relationship with himself/herself, the family, and significant          others. At the same time, the client has achieved educational, occupational,          and leisure goals. By completion of the Fifth Phase of treatment, the          teen has learned valuable insight that each individual is the cause of          his/her own feelings and actions, and a set of principles (the Basics)          that will help the person be accountable for himself/herself and others          in the pursuit of the daily affairs of living.

The families, also          victims of the drug problem, become involved in the rehabilitation process.          Parents are expected to attend Parent Groups and Open Meetings every Friday          evening. Through these meetings, parents learn the same Basics that are          taught to their children and are encouraged to apply these basics in their          own lives. Parents also learn a series of skills to better understand          the basis of their thoughts and feelings and to communicate more effectively          with their children. In-town Parents are expected to serve as temporary          host families for new children entering the program. Special groups are          also provided for siblings during the Parent Group meetings on Friday          night.

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »
Now having posted the paragraphs from the KHK site, I think I need to also say that they are without question an Orwellian description of an inherently abusive treatment plan.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
probably has something to do with time, KHK being more recent than Straight, mostly.

No it has nothing to do with time. I'm just saying you can tell the difference between those people who post on here who went through Straight and those who went through KHK. The people who went through Straight are still fucked up to this day. Not so for the KHK people.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2004, 02:00:00 AM »
"Not so for the KHK people" :roll: Right, the KHK clients are actually worse off since they are still being treated by the STRAIGHT INC spawned monsters right this minute. Put a KHK first phaser online and then let's see what they have to say about this subject. I doubt if you would be able to do that, but, it's still worth a try. In other words *Put your money where your mouth is*

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2005, 06:47:00 AM »
I can tell you what I suffered through at KHK....
I was physically and mentally abused by staff and oldcomers. Sexually molested at khk.
This was my wonderful khk experience in 1989.
I know for a fact nothing has changed since then except the building and its location and it's official business name from Straight-Midwest Inc. to tri state drug Rehabilitation Center.

Want proof?
Go to the commonwealth of kentucky in florence kentucky for a copy of their name in 1980. Ye can pay for the court record.
Ye may find it interesting.
as for you "doing just fine" I am glad to hear that but please do not defend a place that hurt me real badly. i can respect that ye feel that it helped you and I can only pray that ye will see the some day how ugly it can be there.
-DP
KHK 1989
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline The Motivator

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2005, 01:07:00 AM »
OK,
This thread is getting good cuz my memory has been coming back a little bit at a time. Kidscope was an off shoot from KHK.
I knew Derek really well and was a foster brother of his. He was very cool and played a mean bass. If you know his contact I'd like it.
In my research on this board I've learned much from you Straightlings. You had it a bit worse than the KHK clients....but not much in the old days.
KHK had no A/C so summers were suicidal vs. Straight Milford was shiny and new in 84' with climate control. The Philosophy was nearly identical with a phase program based upon a condensed version of the 12 steps etc....... The raps were the same, open meetings, all that shit. It was definitely brainwashing. Most of the kids in there were experienced druggies but there were a few that were too young for group success, and others with "Attitude Problems" .You didn't have to do drugs even just behave badly. They did shame us to admit to doing more drugs in order to hold it against us later. I fell prey to this during a 90 day startover. It was a purging experience to tell the entire staff to Fuck Off and that I really didn't want to be there......That was Honesty Points you know. I was kissing ass to squeak by. The group wasn't having it. They were hungry for my personal shit. I spoke my mind from then on.....became an example....graduated and almost accepted Jr. Staff but decided to head back home to rejoin the band and get one of my old "images" back.

Phases aren't bad, Moral Inventories aren't bad. It's the stream of self talk, self-help bullshit diatribe that is perpetuated from person to person that is bad. They finally make it onto this forum and get torn apart cuz they still seem brainwashed. Program speak is hard to shake. I still find my self saying "Things don't piss you off......You choose to be pissed off about things" from time to time. That one still seems logical in a world outside program jargon.

This Message board is a wake up call for sure.

In reality, we as a society need drug treatment facilities for certain. Prison is a waste of resources except for killers, sex predators, etc....
KHK brainwashes kids and strips their self away just like straight. I think it is easier to be deprogrammed from KHK than Straight. I personally knew 3 or 4 graduates of Straight Milford.
At least one committed suicide. I heard the stories from them and they weren't much different but definitely a bit more harsh. The structure of the programs was very similar but KHK seemed a little softer or easier on the Gulag scale. A few of the KHK folks died too but most that I knew and happen to see upon occasion, are doing fine.

The Lizard Brain Article was great.......I'll finish it later

OK,
Let's Sing "Gilligan's Island" theme song for the parents

TM
quot;Let\'s have a song\"

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »
Please explain to me how AA books,written by adults,will help understand the mind of a child.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
--Albert Einstein, German-born American physicist

It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2005, 03:16:00 AM »
spent time in KHK.  And yes i am doing fine now.  but it is in no way, due to the abuse that i received while there emotionally, mentally and physically.  I was terminated after not working their program for eight months.  Did more drugs than i ever did before i went in. Received a college degree, during which time i quit all drugs other than alchohol, spent time in the Marines, greatly improved relations with my parents.  I am now engaged and in law school.  Meanwhile i never bought into their bullshit, and hope to see them shut down and prosecuted for criminal child abuse.

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »
Rock on anon!
what year were ye in?
-DP

Lighthouses are more helpful then churches.
--Benjamin Franklin, American Founding Father, author, and inventor

"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »
[
"probably has something to do with time, KHK being more recent than Straight, mostly.

No it has nothing to do with time. I'm just saying you can tell the difference between those people who post on here who went through Straight and those who went through KHK. The people who went through Straight are still fucked up to this day. Not so for the KHK people.

"
[/quote]