Author Topic: Gallahue Mental Health Center -- Robert Pearce  (Read 2420 times)

Offline notworking

• View Profile
Gallahue Mental Health Center -- Robert Pearce
« on: April 05, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »
I'm looking for former patients of the adolescent unit of Gallahue Mental Health Center/ Community Hospital in Indianapolis, IN.  Also, former adolescent patients of Robert M. Pearce, M.D., also in Indianapolis.

Specifically, I'm looking for former patients who were subject to confrontation and/or paradoxical therapy directed by Dr. Pearce.  I was a patient at Gallahue from 12/84-3/85.

If you have any information, please contact me at [email protected] .  

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »
This is kind of fascinating! So this was going on in a regular, hospital attached facility back in the early `80's? That's about the time I was becoming a mommy and fully believed that the Program was only practiced by a small band of lunatics that I'd left in the dust on the other side of the state.

What aspects of the treatment described in these forums are similar to what you experienced?

Those who control the past, control the future; and those who control the present, control the past.

--George Orwell

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline notworking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 05:40:00 PM »
It was a hospital facility, yes.  However, not all of the patients had mental illness diagnoses -- there were kids who'd been court mandated after convictions for everything from kidnapping/rape to simple possession to running away. The rest of us were pretty clearly psych admits -- several (like me) were post suicide attempt, one had an eating disorder, and at least one had psychosis.  

I've made a list of the big things that seemed like The Program --

1. strip searches (I spent time on the adult psych unit before being moved and we were NEVER searched) -- arriving on the unit, after each pass out of the building, and whenever staff felt like it.  Our stuff got searched constantly.

2. limited contact with parents -- only if you earned it and only about stuff you were supposed to talk about.  Any complaints = manipulating.  Crying = manipulating.  Stuff about what happened to other patients = breaking confidentiality. It was often hard to know what to talk about.  Also, if you'd confessed to something (using drugs/alcohol, being sexually active, being molested, breaking rules at home) on the unit, then you had to tell your parents on their next visit.  Forget to do it = no more visits.

3. groups -- which I think was known in The Program as raps and Syanon as The Game.  They were almost constant during the day.  The longest I can remember were like 4 hours.  But we had to confront each other and the confrontee had to listen without responding.  We'd say terrible stuff to each other, no use at all.  One thing that was different was that we got to speak in group as soon as we started, as long as it was negative.  Saying something supportive was "rescuing" and, just for me, they'd make a siren noise like an ambulance. You couldn't leave group once it started. I have a very vivid memory of saying to one kid who told me I was being "gamey", "You know, I don't really need to take advice from someone who molested a little kid." and getting sat on Time Out.

4.  Time Out --  this was like a version of OP or seclusion.  It came in two fun forms -- chair and room.  On chair time out, you got to sit in a hard wooden chair without arms facing a wall for 16 hours a day.  The room variation was standing in a corner of an isolation room for 16 hours a day.  Every day until staff decided you were working.  If you fell asleep or sat on the floor or even acknowledged the presence of the kids and staff around you, you got an extra day tacked on the end of your time.  I did 11 days before my doc decided even TO wasn't helping and I needed to move on to paradoxical therapy.  Other kids did 30-90, depending on when they got stuck on it and when their insurance ran out.

5.  the indefinable "work" -- whatever you weren't doing, apparently.  Working was a terrible concept for me (I guess I was slow, like the girl who hasn't talked to her mom in two months).  Since I was there for depression, I thought at first it was not trying to hurt myself.  Nope.  Following ALL of the rules, ALL of the time?  Nope.  Acting cheerful and feeding back (i.e. verbally abusing other kids) in group?  Nope.  Confessing everything I ever did wrong?  Nope.  Making stuff up to confess?  Nope. It was like the friggin' GRAIL, this working business.  Twenty years later, I'm sure I'm still not working.  If the Pope ever canonizes me, Pearce will be there, pointing out that I can't be a saint because I never worked.

6.  sick-before-proven-guilty rules -- you know, no showers or using the bathroom by yourself because you might try to kill yourself.  No shoelaces, jewelry or belts, ditto.  No envelopes or stamps because they might contain LSD.  No homemade food, even on Christmas, because your parents might be slipping you alcohol or drugs in it.  Plastic spoons if you were on any kind of precaution.  If not, you still had to file by a staff member before you put your tray up so they could write down how much you ate and count silverware.  Every personal hygiene product screened for illicit substances. And all that stuff had to be kept at the nurse's station, so you had to ask for a Kotex or a tampon, which was really fun because of the

7.  constant confrontation by staff and medical professionals -- it was just harassment, day in and day out.  Ask for a tampon and the tech would holler across the room "Such and so's on the rag, that's why she's not working today."  Ask about a rule and you were manipulating.  Bump into something (not unheard of among adolescents) and get ridiculed.  Meds time was rough -- I had to take seizure medication twice a day for, well, seizures.  If you asked for your meds a second early, you were attention-seeking.  If you didn't ask soon enough, you weren't being responsible.  Either way, you at least got hassled, if not punished.  Best thing was to watch carefully (but not appear to be watching, because that was playing staring games) until someone asked first, then bust your butt to get up there.  

Dr. Pearce was the worst one.  Other than the day he told me I was going home, I cannot remember a single meeting with him where he was not verbally abusive.  I was a baby, I felt sorry for myself all the time, I didn't deserve to have parents who loved me (and they didn't any more, or why was I here), I thought I was in a health spa, I had no valid feelings, I was incapable of being honest, on and on and on.  Even the day I was going home, he told me that my insurance had run out and they couldn't keep me so they were sending me home for a week until my court hearing to place me in the state hospital.

8.  We had a level system, too.  You had to earn a certain number of points before you could move up a level.  No one made it past level 3 that I saw, even though there were like 5 levels.  Some of the points were for easy, understandable stuff (being on time for group), but most were those amorphic "working"-type things.  When you had enough points, you could ask to be moved up a level, but it wasn't certain.

9.  Restraints as punishment.  Get mad (and who doesn't, after being tormented non-stop for weeks on end) and you get restrained.  Oh yeah, they'd tell your parents it's because you were "violent" (and sometimes we were), but there was no chance to settle down.  Once you'd slammed your book down on a table, stomped your foot, whatever, you were going to spend some time strapped to a bed.  If you didn't shut up at visiting time, you got Haldol.  The rest of the time, your screaming was a good lesson to the other patients.    

Sorry this is so long, Ginger.  I'm sure there's more.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »
Sorry? Hell no! The devil is in the details.

Now I'm wondering where this Dr. Pearce fellow came from. Any data on that? I wonder if he was in any way affiliated w/ Bobby DuPont and his magical NIDA funding gravy train or w/ Syanon or CEDU or ELAN or Daytop or something? I wonder if he knew Art Barker. Wouldn't THAT be a hoot!

Questions, questions, questions! Please go on all you want.

Thanks,

Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die
-- Malachy McCourt

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline notworking

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »
This is a very good question.  Beyond the fact that he's a psychiatrist and where he got his degree, I haven't been able to find out much.  

It's kind of weird that there don't seem to be national listings for these "helping professionals."  In my profession, there's sort of a master list that includes everyone who holds a license to practice in the US.  It's like the phone book (only nicely bound and with about 6 volumes) in that the basics are listed in short form, then you can pay extra for fancy stuff and most people do.  So it's possible for people to look up where I went to school, where I've worked before and in what capacity, my specialty areas, if I've published anything or won any honors, and how my peers in my profession view my competence.  Also, you can get a lot of information about me from the state licensing authority, including whether I've been disciplined.  That way, people who are thinking about hiring me can make an informed decision.

And, as an aside, my profession is NOT petitioning Congress to put a cap on the amount of damages that someone I injure through malpractice can get paid.